menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture (As seen on articles and blogposts)
Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture
chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 31 Oct 2012, 17:15 | Message # 91
Group: Administrators
San Antonio, Texas (Summer Glau is a San Antonio native) is celebrating Halloween.

City officials are putting the finishing touches the this year’s Riverwalk Of Terror™ Halloween Celeb-scare-ations™. “We’re lifting the terror alert from last year’s light orange to this year’s blood red,” claimed self-admitted Scare Chief and butcherer of language, Tony Chavaz.
[...]
2012 Halloween Schedule
[...]
Spine-chilling Celebrity Tombstone Tweetup (afternoon): insider sources tell us that all San Antonio celebrities are on call by the Mayor this Saturday. This will represent the only time that Tommy Lee Jones and Summer Glau will be present on the river at the same time. We’re hoping to find out why Summer Glau hasn’t responded to our numerous emails asking if Fox is renewing the Terminator thing. And maybe if she’d like to date a senior writer at a world-renowned website.

Source : “San Scare-tonio” Is Scream Capital for Halloween

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 05 Nov 2012, 15:38 | Message # 92
TV by the absurd published an article : '12 Kickass Heroines of Film and Television'

Summer Glau made the list (almost) twice smile Here are excerpt from the article :

The women of “Firefly”

In another part of the galaxy, the crew of the Serenity, a Firefly-class spaceship, is doing all they can to survive after the population of Earth is forced to recolonize in space. They earn their keep hauling things from here to there — some legal, some not. They try not to ask questions, but when they get stuck between the devil and the deep void of space, Zoe Washburne is there make sure they all get out alive.

Zoe (Gina Torres) is a born and bred soldier, handy with a gun, calm under fire, and loyal to her commander, even when he’s the one who got them into trouble.

Another source of trouble is the mysterious stowaway River Tam (Summer Glau). River may look and act like a child, but she’s a fierce fighting machine fueled by the waking nightmares of her past.

Sarah Connor from “The Terminator”

When we first met Sarah Connor, she was a carefree waitress who loved to party on a Saturday night. One year later, she was a lean, mean, fighting machine, prepared to do whatever it takes to protect her child from the futuristic monsters known as Terminators.

We love Sarah because she’s proof that we can all handle more than we think we can. She develops a unique set of survival skills out of fear for her own safety, then the safety of her son. Like The Bride in “Kill Bill,” she goes from victim to hunter, and though she’s smart, she’s also a little crazy.

Sarah Connor has that never-say-die spirit that allows her to keep going, even if it means crawling on her hands and knees through molten glass in order to survive. This is one mean mother — and for that, she ranks high on our list.

See how Sarah’s story began when you watch “The Terminator” on Netflix. Then switch over to The WB to watch full episodes of “Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles,” which include a kickass bonus in the form of Summer Glau as John Connor’s Terminator pal.

Read full article at TV by the absurd

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 14 Nov 2012, 21:26 | Message # 93
Article : '10 sci-fi and fantasy shows that were canceled too soon.' at Paste

100% padding article, with no originality, this article is simply riding the Firefly wave. Well, at least, Terminator : The Sarah Connor Chronicles is listed.

7. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles 2008-2009
The unnecessarily long title wasn’t the only problem with this Fox show. It got off to a slow start and was on a network known for canceling shows prematurely (Arrested Development or Firefly…). Starring Lena Headey (Game of Thrones), Thomas Dekker (Heroes) and Summer Glau (Firefly), the story picked up after the events of Terminator 2: Judgment Day as Sarah and her son John Connor travel to 2007 in order to escape a Terminator sent to kill them. Another show that was coming into its own right before being canceled, TSCC had a lot of story left to tell.

robboDate: Thursday, 15 Nov 2012, 04:32 | Message # 94
Group: Friends
some really good shows on that list, couldnt have been more spot on with that quote, TSCC had a lot of story left to tell. certainly did it was getting really exciting leading up to a season three. but as we all know it was unlucky under the fox banner. sod the fans and the people involved with TSCC. typical fox lets get rid of it, left it on a cliffhanger couldnt give a monkeys. and that was that. over with. the show deserved better treatment.

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 29 Dec 2012, 18:21 | Message # 95
Seen at TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2012 :

Now we're getting into the things that possibly could've argued their way into the Top 10 of our Top 100 Everything 2012—something actors, writers, and directors work their whole lives for. But don't worry, Nathan Fillion, just because you're number thirty-seven this year doesn't mean you can't be number one next year! (However, slipping us a few fifties or giving us Summer Glau's phone number couldn't hurt, knowwhati'msayin?)

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 01 Jan 2013, 17:04 | Message # 96
Summer Glau has played two of the most iconic characters in recent sci-fi history, River Tam in Joss Whedon's Firefly and Cameron in Josh Friedman's Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. This is probably why River and Cameron are the subject of case studies in an essay titled "Science Fiction Film, Television, and Adaptation: Across the Screens (Routledge Research in Cultural and Media Studies)" by Jay Telotte and Gerald Duchovnay.

Read more in the Blogpost : River and Cameron : Characters Studies in an Essay on Science Fiction

chrisdvanne_Date: Thursday, 07 Feb 2013, 21:39 | Message # 97
BuzzFeed is asking the following questions: "Who Should Join Chris Pratt In "Guardians Of The Galaxy"?

Chris Pratt will play the lead role of Star Lord for Marvel Studios next big superhero franchise, the James Gunn-directed Guardians Of The Galaxy.
Who could be his castmates?

Since their very first film, the folks at Marvel Studios have seemed eager to make the unexpected choice when it comes to casting. Before Iron Man, Robert Downey Jr. was a beloved actor with a spotty past and zero record as a major box-office draw. Although Chris Hemsworth had a great role that opened J.J. Abrams' Star Trek, the virtual unknown nonetheless gave zero indication he could credibly take up Thor's hammer and not seem utterly ridiculous. Mark Ruffalo was a "name" when he signed up to play Hulk's human alter ego Bruce Banner, certainly, but until then he'd made such a point to avoid enormous Hollywood blockbusters that one wondered how he could survive inside one of the biggest in history.

The author of the article considers Summer Glau for the role of Gamora, one of the members of the Guardians Of The Galaxy:

Marvel's official description: "Nicknamed 'the most dangerous woman in the universe,' she last of her alien species, adopted by Thanos (him again) and trained to be a weapon who does his dirty work."
The actress playing Gamora will need both the physical heft required to play the universe’s most dangerous woman, and the emotional heft required to capture the conflict the character feels given her backstory with the Guardians’ nominal villain, Thanos.
A-list-y choice: Paula Patton (so badass in Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol); Emily Blunt (so badass in Looper).
Unconventional choice: Summer Glau (so badass on Firefly and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles); Danai Gurira (so badass as Michonne on The Walking Dead).

Read more at Buzz Feed

robboDate: Thursday, 07 Feb 2013, 22:17 | Message # 98
summer glau for the role of gamora, nicknamed the most dangerous woman in the universe, sounds like a certain girl called river tam i will kill you with my brain, certainly would be a good oppurtunity for summer breaking into the marvel world. would be a great part for summer to play pity she is not on the a-list choice, which i thought she would have been given the roles she had to play in firefly, and tscc, which gamora sounds right up summers street, gamora sounds like a split personality part to play given her backstory, i hope they do take summer glau into consideration as one of the members of the guardians of the galaxy. smile

chrisdvanne_Date: Thursday, 21 Feb 2013, 18:07 | Message # 99
It's impossible to ignore the profound impact the Harry Potter series has had on the way Hollywood studios do business. Adaptations of young adult novels are all the rage these days (especially if they have a science fiction or supernatural twist to them), with people like Kate Winslet, Johnny Depp, G.I. Joe: Retaliation helmer Jon M. Chu, Chloe Moretz, and Smashed director James Ponsoldt all getting involved in various young adult projects so far this year. Now THR reports that the trend continues, as Universal has optioned the rights to Josin L. McQuein’s upcoming novel Arclight, with Brian Grazer producing for Imagine.

Here's the official synopsis of Arclight from Amazon:

Arclight is a bold and astonishing debut about identity, unnerving connections, tortured romance, and the courage we find when we face our worst nightmares.
The Arclight is the last refuge in a post-apocalyptic world consumed by terrifying monsters called the Fade. No one crosses the wall of light that keeps the last human survivors safe. There's nothing else left and nowhere to go. Or so they thought, until Marina, a lone teenage girl, stumbles out of the Dark.
Marina doesn't remember who she is, where she came from, or how she survived. And the Fade want her back. When one of them infiltrates the compound and recognizes Marina, she begins to unlock secrets she didn't even know she had. Marina knows she's an outsider in the Arclight, but she'll do anything to protect those who saved her. Whether they want her help or not.

Sounds a little like the dynamic that Summer Glau's River Tam had with the crew of the Serenity in Joss Whedon's sci-fi western, and we're hoping the mystery is interesting enough to hold our attention.

Read full article at firstshowing.net

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 02 Apr 2013, 16:43 | Message # 100
Summer Glau is mentioned in an article published in men's magazine Penthouse - July-August 2010 (in the "Women of Whedon" snippet, at the bottom of the last page)

Penthouse - July-August 2010 (USA)Penthouse - July-August 2010 (USA)Penthouse - July-August 2010 (USA)

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 06 Apr 2013, 09:00 | Message # 101
Molly Quinn (Alexis Castle in ABC's "Castle”) is voicing Supergirl in "Superman Unbound", the latest addition to the DC Universe line of direct-to-video animated movies.

Molly Quinn is voicing Supergirl in Superman Unbound

Here's what she said about the way she approached the role in an article published at HomeMedia:

Quinn said she was particularly impressed with Summer Glau’s portrayal of the character in the 2010 DCU movie Superman/Batman: Apocalypse.

“Her interpretation of Supergirl was just phenomenal and extremely intimidating,” Quinn said. “So I really worked off that and compared my Supergirl to hers because she left such great building blocks.”

chrisdvanne_Date: Thursday, 11 Apr 2013, 10:15 | Message # 102
Who would you cast in the ** Insert name of serie/movie your choice ** reboot?

Website Digital Spy tackled this task with a Blake's 7 remake for Syfy, who has ordered 13 new hour-long episodes.

Summer Glau as CALLY

Comic-Con International San Diego - July 13, 2012

No sci-fi series is complete without a role for Firefly favourite Summer Glau, so why not cast her as the telepathic Cally? Glau's celebrated role as the unbalanced River Tam proves she can do 'alien' and she'd bring some serious kick-ass credentials to this revamped series too.

Source: Digital Spy

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 25 May 2013, 23:50 | Message # 103
Quote (chrisdvanne)
True that it is an excellent article. Thanks for this, Chris.
I made sure to advertise this article on the net and give it the impact it deserves, as a result the author thanked me via Twitter :

Robert Appleton ‏@robertappleton
@chrisdvanne Thanks for that, Chris. Our blog's never had this many visitors. Summer has great fans!

This is how you spread the word about Summer Glau's awesomeness :D

Posted today on Twitter:

This is really a good article, read it if you haven't already.

robboDate: Sunday, 26 May 2013, 03:45 | Message # 104
excellent article indeed and such an amazing, picture of `summer glau`looking very beautiful as always, she looks fantastic and a real glowing image of `summer glau` wink

chrisdvanne_Date: Sunday, 09 Jun 2013, 17:19 | Message # 105
25 Actresses To Play Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider Reboot

Kick-ass stars to replace Angelina Jolie, By Alex Moss at Total Film

18. Summer Glau

Lara Qualities: On the one hand she’s quiet and cute…. but on the other hand, and usually at the flick of a well placed subliminal message, she can turn into a vicious killing machine, as seen in Joss Whedon’s Firefly. She also played a ruthless killing machine in The Sarah Connor Chronicles as a Terminator, so she can handle the action stakes in her sleep.

Potential Plot: Lara boards Serenity, a ship of mis-matched thieves. But the mysterious super AI controlling the ship is set to go into full – and very violent – meltdown, leaving the group to wonder who they can trust, and who will survive.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture (As seen on articles and blogposts)
Search: