menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture (As seen on articles and blogposts)
Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture
chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 05 Jun 2012, 08:46 | Message # 76
Group: Administrators
Once again, a blogger has not seen TSCC (or just the pilot) :

There was a brief time, a few years ago, when there was intelligent sf on tv. But Firefly and Defying Gravity were never given a chance to find an audience, yanked from the schedule before all the episodes had aired. Joss Whedon's Dollhouse, about high tech sex slaves, was aired out of order, to play down the sex slave angle. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles started big but couldn't hold an audience.I attribute that to the robot, played by Summer Glau, acting like a real robot, instead of like Data or C3PO. I thought it was a whole lot better than Terminator Salvation.

Source : SF site

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

REGDate: Friday, 08 Jun 2012, 15:55 | Message # 77
Group: Friends
Quote (chrisdvanne)
It's (almost) like Summer Glau, having played River Tam and Cameron, is on a par with Princess Leia in the geeks mind.

it is not on par. it exceeds it for me. i will probably get flamed for this but Princess Leia is a generic character imo. the characters that Summer has played are exceptional and certainly not generic.

Quote (FordStaff)
When it comes down to it, people will use their prejudice for their judgements, SF is unjustly considered inferior, and so will Summer.

it is too true FordStaff. but to me i find other genres inferior. for example generic action movies that have little to no story and are just money milkers.
and don't get me started on reality shows, ugh a total waste of airspace.

Quote (FordStaff)
Mainstream audiences are fickle, get the geek audience and they will never go away. Not to mention SF is just more ripe for this, but you can see it in even mainstream genres with shows such as Arrested Development or Community. Its all about being imaginative, which is exactly what the mainstream refuses to do.

It pisses me off that people are willing to watch the same bullshit over and over, but never give the great shows a try. There are some good shows that were given a chance by the mainstream, but it is generally not a the case.

yep we SF fans are loyal as they get.

i am also pissed off that mainstream audiences are so ignorant and dismiss SF as "geek shows". which they are. but SF is the best genre imo. mainstream audiences just don't get it. i don't get why. maybe they are severely intelligent deficient or just plain dumb? i don't know but they can and do continue to ruin SF for us SF fans. in Australia i remember Farscape being put on after the cricket or tennis. (i am not a sports fan by the way). and as a result i think only 1 season was shown. not even that. and to this day i still haven't seen all of the series. the same thing happened with Firefly. by the time i found out about it, it was cancelled and i had to get a copy of the show from an acquaintance or i would have missed out on it entirely.
and these days i download all the SF and fantasy shows that i like and interest me. because they may never get aired here. and i don't like commercials either and i can watch them at my leisure, so its a win - win situation.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
TechnoBuffalo took the opportunity of the 3D release of James Cameron's Titanic to list "8 films that would rock in 3D"; Serenity made the list and there's a nice comment on Summer Glau as River Tam :

Serenity — I want to say that the airfight would be visually amazing in 3D, and it might be, but really — I just want to see the 3D version of former dancer Summer Glau kicking a cadre of Reever butt in this exquisitely choreographed fight scene. Talk about a spectacular, immersive bloodbath.

if that would get made it would be a day one purchase for me for sure! biggrin

Quote (chrisdvanne)
Once again, a blogger has not seen TSCC (or just the pilot) :

There was a brief time, a few years ago, when there was intelligent sf on tv. But Firefly and Defying Gravity were never given a chance to find an audience, yanked from the schedule before all the episodes had aired. Joss Whedon's Dollhouse, about high tech sex slaves, was aired out of order, to play down the sex slave angle. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles started big but couldn't hold an audience.I attribute that to the robot, played by Summer Glau, acting like a real robot, instead of like Data or C3PO. I thought it was a whole lot better than Terminator Salvation.

Source : SF site

is this guy for real? clearly he doesn't have an idea of the Terminator franchise. Data and C3PO are both androids. how can he compare a cyborg to an android? they are two different types of machine. stuff like this makes me wonder why these bloggers bother posting such trash.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 11 Jun 2012, 11:47 | Message # 78
"Summer Glau Holding Things" at The Rendezvous Point
The author of this funny blogpost goes through some things that Summer has held in her hands at different times like conventions or tv shows.

Is it me or the author of the blogpost seem to have taken his inspiration from 3 blogpost i made at fansite Summer Glau Wiki?

At least he had the decency to quote his sources smile

Thanks to KortoloB at /r/SummerGlau for the heads up.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 11 Jun 2012, 18:20

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 02 Jul 2012, 09:14 | Message # 79
"The 40 Most Awesome TV Robots" at BuddyTV.

Our top 40 favorite television robots of all-time.

#3 Cameron, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Easily TV’s sexiest robot of all-time, Cameron was the ultimate machine: hot and deadly.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 02 Jul 2012, 09:14

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 04 Jul 2012, 16:00 | Message # 80
Summer Glau is featured in the "Woman of the Day" section of Irish men's website JOE.

Woman of the Day: Summer Glau

Your Woman of the Day today is the gorgeous Summer Glau from Texas in the US. She's had her fair share of work broadcast on the small screen, but most of you may remember her as Cameron Phillips, a Terminator infiltration unit sent back to protect John Connor and Sarah Connor in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. However, you might remember her for a whole different reason from now on.

Oh, and we thought we better bring you an American babe... seeing as it's their Independence Day.

Seing Summer in these type of sites is not really what i'm expecting the most but at the same i'm glad those guys have thought to her in such a special day for the Americans; also the photo they have chosen is very "neutral" and respectful.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 04 Jul 2012, 16:00

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 04 Jul 2012, 22:32 | Message # 81
Another great article on Summer :

"Summer Glau in Science Fiction"

Here are excerpts of the article :

Thwarted not once, but twice in the middle of fascinating character arcs on science fiction TV shows, Summer Glau remains a should be/would be superstar. Her portrayal of the psychologically damaged child prodigy River Tam in Joss Whedon’s Firefly (and Serenity) chills, touches, and ultimately explodes in balletic, kick-ass style...

...Until you get to the girl-next-door—her real-life persona—there’s something superficially cold and untouchable about Summer. The big eyes, the slightly pouty face, the not-quite-sure-where-she-comes-from looks: it’s not a stretch to imagine TV viewers being unsure of what to make of her. Sarah isn’t sure either. Neither is John. But that winsome vulnerability, so overt in River Tam, operates much more subtly here. Cameron might be an all-but-indestructible machine, but she’s also still the high school girl John had a crush on in episode one, capable of a winning smile and warm companionship, however much they’re acted. When she’s getting pummelled by other robots, we want to jump in and protect her (good luck there). When she’s poker-faced and spouting protocols in place of conversation, we want her to wish upon a star and become a real live girl for John.

Read full article at : Contact - Infinites Futures

ThierryDate: Thursday, 05 Jul 2012, 17:24 | Message # 82
Group: Friends
True that it is an excellent article. Thanks for this, Chris.

So much grace is beautiful and peaceful for the mind and the eyes.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 05 Jul 2012, 17:44 | Message # 83
Quote (Thierry)
True that it is an excellent article. Thanks for this, Chris.

I made sure to advertise this article on the net and give it the impact it deserves, as a result the author thanked me via Twitter :

Robert Appleton ‏@robertappleton
@chrisdvanne Thanks for that, Chris. Our blog's never had this many visitors. Summer has great fans!

This is how you spread the word about Summer Glau's awesomeness biggrin

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Thursday, 05 Jul 2012, 17:44

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 22 Sep 2012, 16:46 | Message # 84
Battlestar Galactica alumni Katee Sackhoff is joining Oculus, the horror movie from Intrepid Pictures that already has cast Dr Who sidekick Karen Gillan in the lead role.

Here's how Ben Bussey comment the news at Brutal as Hell :

Yep, Amy Pond and Starbuck in the same film. Just add Summer Glau and we’ll be positively drowning in geekgasms.
smile

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 23 Sep 2012, 00:35 | Message # 85
'20 Things We Love About Chuck' at SFX

3 The Guest Stars

It’s telling that this 20 Reasons We Love could quite easily have been a list of 20 Guest Stars We Love. Almost every episode of Chuck would enlist a geek-friendly pop-culture icon, from sci-fi legends to wrestlers, for anything from three-second cameos to multi-episode arcs. In later seasons they even created a role specifically so it could be filled by different guest stars (Greta – in one episode played by Summer Glau). No one has done guest stars better.

Production Stills

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 02 Oct 2012, 15:36 | Message # 86
FOX has already given J.J. Abrams a pilot commitment for FOX; it is described as "an action-packed buddy cop show, set in the near future, when all LAPD officers are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids", similar to Josh Friedman's project for NBC, "a thriller soap set in a world much like ours, where human-looking robots are commonplace. After a routine homicide explodes into the first robot-on-human murder, the lead detective must solve the case and investigate a growing robot rebellion while dealing with the impact on his own fractured family."

And now J.J. Abrams teamed up with filmmaker Alfonso Cuaron for a project with NBC.
This is what Andy Greene says about it at Famous Monsters :

The show is “about a girl in possession of a great gift/powers, which will come into their own in seven years – and the man who is sprung from prison to protect her from those trying to hunt her down.” Sounds like we need a younger Summer Glau for this project. Get on it, Abrams!

While i'm glad everytime someone mentions Summer as a pop culture icon, is Summer that old? I'm joking, Summer cannot play teenagers anymore; i just hope she will lands a role that fits her age soon..why not in Whedon's upcoming SHIELD tv show for ABC. Check : Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot - Summer as an agent?

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 07 Oct 2012, 08:23 | Message # 87
Summer Glau is mentioned in almost every article on the possible actors in Joss Whedon's pilot for ABC S.H.I.E.L.D.

This article at hypable is no exception :

1) Skye
The first on the list, and the only character that doesn’t have an “Agent” in front of her name, is described as fun, caring and confident. So far she sounds like one of the many strong female roles that Whedon is famous for creating. The first face that jumps to my mind is Eliza Dushku’s (BtVS, Angel, Dollhouse). Dushku is a diverse actress, as seen in Dollhouse, and I can definitely see her working with S.H.I.E.L.D. Other Whedon girls that would be perfect in the role include Amy Acker and Summer Glau.

[...]

4) Agent Leo Fitz
This nerdy tech expert literally screams Fran Kranz (Dollhouse, Cabin, Much Ado) on all levels. I can see Kranz playing a Topher-like Fitz, but is the 31-year-old actor too old for the part? Besides Kranz, I can also see Tom Lenk as Leo.

5) Agent Jemma Simmons
A science expert and a best friend of Leo, Jemma could possibly be played by Felicia Day (BtVS, Dr. Horrible, Dollhouse). This actress is a self-proclaimed nerd, and I can see her and Kranz working very well together. As an alternative to Day, Summer Glau could also fit very nicely in this role.

Lol at the blogger saying that the 31 year old Fran Kranz may be too old for the role of one the siblings while Summer is also 31.

Source : Hypable Reader Speculation: Who are Whedon’s ‘S.H.I.E.L.D.’ TV show actors? at hypable

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 09 Oct 2012, 12:02 | Message # 88
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Summer Glau is mentioned in almost every article on the possible actors in Joss Whedon's pilot for ABC S.H.I.E.L.D.

Kriss’s Cast List for a Female Version of The Expendables at Movie Trailer Reviews

Summer Glau – You can’t have an entire list of older stars. You will need someone younger (who can act). Summer Glau is a pretty good choice. She’s not too big that she would be overbearing but has played River on Serenity and a Terminator.

If you take a look at Carano's or Sackoff's build, producers are looking for buff women but maybe there's room for petite build women with skills (or they could simply hire the Women Wresling League).

The paradox is that Summer Glau is not looking for action roles anymore but fans and bloggers as well keep mentioning her name whenever an action/scifi movie or tv show is in development.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 09 Oct 2012, 13:45 | Message # 89
Spiderman 2 RiffTrax ("Hilarious commentaries for your favorite movies!") includes a reference to Summer Glau at 21:10 of the original video.

Watch it for yourself in this short video i made for the Blog : Spiderman 2 RiffTrax

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 24 Oct 2012, 16:46 | Message # 90
TOP 5: EPISODES OF ‘ANGEL’ at blogomatic3000

5. “Waiting in the Wings,” episode 3×13:
I like what this episode represents. It is a bit like a ballet watching “Angel.” There’s a lot of thunder and damnation and in season three, things got unraveled in a most unsolvable way. It was a tumultous time and right now, this episode was the levee in danger of being overturned. It centers around Angel and company going to the opera and seeing the ghosts of the ballet company that performed long ago when Angel intially attended. It’s a very erotic episode, the relationship between Angel and Cordelia being particularly hot and heavy. It’s funny, everything anyone says about how boring the opera is (it is a Joss Whedon scripted episode) and scary; creepy masked monsters are creepy. But, it’s also haunting, the ballerina played by Summer Glau, shows that she is trapped forever and laments this existence and plays it like the tragedy that it is. Glau was hand picked by Whedon after this episode for her role as River Tam on “Firefly.” This episode is the beginning of the end, and after this everything goes to hell almost irreversibly for the Hyperion crew. It’s a last fleeting glimpse before the darkness.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture (As seen on articles and blogposts)
Search: