[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 5 of 10«1234567910»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture (As seen on articles and blogposts)
Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture
BlaziusDate: Thursday, 16 Feb 2012, 18:33 | Message # 61
Group: Friends
She is probably a nice girl but that article is complete gibberish.

Seriously, she asks why a terminator is a nearly indestructible killing machine?

Who asks a question like that?

I'd laugh so hard if she didn't involve Summer in it.

Nice work Chrisdvanne at demonstrating even more how wrong she is BTW! She'll seriously consider what she writes next time I'm sure after our messages.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 16 Feb 2012, 18:45 | Message # 62
Group: Administrators
Quote (Blazius)
She'll seriously consider what she writes next time I'm sure after our messages.

I bet she will not because that's how internet works; everyone can write anything, even if wrong and noone can change that.

The blogger has found an angle to illustrate her purpose, which is to praise curvy women, and she will not change her mind, even if the premiss of her reasoning is wrong; our concerns about Summer's image and the truth about Cameron's essence is not her main concern.

Fortunately, there is still people like you and me and a few others who consider that writing reasonnable and argumented comments matters.

Edit : the comments have been published. You'll notice that she fixed the mispelling in Lynda Carter's name i pointed to her.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Thursday, 16 Feb 2012, 22:34

BlaziusDate: Friday, 17 Feb 2012, 00:30 | Message # 63
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Edit : the comments have been published. You'll notice that she fixed the mispelling in Lynda Carter's name i pointed to her.

At least she was honest and didn't pretend that she only gets positive comments by deleting ours( though your message has something to do that too maybe).

Yeah, I don't expect her to change views, I just hope that in the future she joins those kind of bloggers who actually know something about the subject they are writing about and don't bash one of the few people in Hollywood who is actually fighting for a more just and equal portrayal of all kind of women in media just like she does in a way.

Message edited by Blazius - Friday, 17 Feb 2012, 00:32

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 22 Feb 2012, 16:39 | Message # 64
Whether you're a fan of one or the other shows, The Big Bang Theory (CBS) and Community (NBC) have brought the geek culture to a mainstream audience.

Designer Megan Levens's drawing features TBBT cast as Mal, Wash, Inara, Jayne, Kaylee, Dr. Tam and River. Of course it was impossible to match perfectly the two casts (see Sheldon as Jayne).

The Big Bang Theory cast dressed up as Firefly crew

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 25 Mar 2012, 16:22 | Message # 65
On the occasion of the release of Hunger Games, Wired website has made a list of the toughest women in movies, TV, comic books and video games. Summer Glau made the list for her role as River Tam in Firefly/Serenity, as well as Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica, Red Sonja from Marvel Comics, Xena from the tv show of the same name or Ellen Ripley from Alien to name a few.

Read the blog post at : River Tam in Action Heroine Hot List

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 26 Mar 2012, 18:10 | Message # 66
On the occasion of the release of Hunger Games, blastr website has made a list of the 16 of sci-fi and fantasy's most dangerously kick-ass young women.

Summer Glau made the list for her role as River Tam in Firefly/Serenity, as well as Chloe Moretz (Kick-Ass), Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones) or Anna Paquin (X-Men) to name a few.

Read the blog post at : River Tam in sci-fi most dangerously kick-ass young women list

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 26 Mar 2012, 22:15 | Message # 67
Audiovisual Rosetta Stones: 15 foreign words and phrases we learned from film and TV at [url=http://www.avclub.com/articles/audiovisual-rosetta-stones-15-foreign-words-and-ph,71376/]A.V. Club[/url]

8. “Eta kuram na smekh” (Russian, “that’s ridiculous” or “that’s for chickens to laugh at”): Serenity
Plenty of languages float around the universe of Serenity, the capstone film of Joss Whedon’s short-lived, much-beloved science-fiction Western Firefly. Nathan Fillion’s Mal Reynolds and the rest of his crew speak English but swear profusely in Mandarin, and Japanese katakana and Arabic characters make brief appearances in the background as set-dressing. But psychic super-solider River Tam (Summer Glau) also knows one engrained Russian phrase that functions as an off switch for her deadly abilities. When the Serenity crew conducts shady business in a bar, a subliminal video advertisement activates the embedded military training from the government program that brainwashed River, and she starts an elegantly choreographed fight through the establishment. Fortunately, her older brother Simon (Sean Maher) knows the safe word to put River to sleep and quell the violence. Though it literally translates “that’s for chickens to laugh at,” the phrase’s idiomatic meaning also describes the remarkable damage River inflicts.

Serenity hd1080p

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 10 Apr 2012, 09:48 | Message # 68
TechnoBuffalo took the opportunity of the 3D release of James Cameron's Titanic to list "8 films that would rock in 3D"; Serenity made the list and there's a nice comment on Summer Glau as River Tam :

Serenity — I want to say that the airfight would be visually amazing in 3D, and it might be, but really — I just want to see the 3D version of former dancer Summer Glau kicking a cadre of Reever butt in this exquisitely choreographed fight scene. Talk about a spectacular, immersive bloodbath.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 10 Apr 2012, 09:49

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 11 Apr 2012, 23:12 | Message # 69
While ranting against a US governement project to watch the phone activities of simple users, a BuzzFeed contributor made that funny remark :

And at any moment, a predator drone will park a missile on your nose. Only Summer Glau can protect you.

I'm not sure people who have not seen TSCC will get the wink wink

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 11 Apr 2012, 23:13

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 12 Apr 2012, 13:07 | Message # 70
"The Hunger Games" has been a mega hit and the sequel titled "Catching Fire", also taken from Suzanne Collins book should follow next year.

Since the second book introduces new characters, a lot of people are making casting guesses. Summer Glau is one of the names that comes up the most often, like in an article at Next Movie :

Our Wish List for 'The Hunger Games' Sequel, 'Catching Fire'
Another major player will be Johanna Mason. And yeah, we heard you want it Kristen Bell, but we're thinking the role might need someone a tad saucier. She is the kind of gal who can go toe-to-toe with Katniss, after all. Not to mention, there's that nude elevator scene. We're thinkin' someone possibly already know for kicking a little ass, someone like Michelle Rodriguez, Summer Glau or Gina Carano.

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 12 Apr 2012, 23:43 | Message # 71
Quote (chrisdvanne)
"The Hunger Games" has been a mega hit and the sequel titled "Catching Fire", also taken from Suzanne Collins book should follow next year.

I wonder BTW what Summer does when a movie with a mega hit potential is coming and her general profile is kinda matching a character slot? Is she trying an audition in case it works out well or doesn't even try it ?

I'm curious what are the general actor and agency practices in these cases.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 12 Apr 2012, 23:58 | Message # 72
Remember when everybody said that Summer should have played Natalie Portman's role in Black Swann? Summer revealed in her panel at recent Emerald Comicon that she auditioned for a role indeed (that was not picked up afterwards); i don't see why she should not keep auditioning for such roles.
I think she also auditioned for X-Men but the role was ultimately allocated to Ellen Page.
The problem is theses casting wishes are made by fans or bloggers but producers might think differently.

BlaziusDate: Friday, 13 Apr 2012, 00:34 | Message # 73
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Remember when everybody said that Summer should have played Natalie Portman's role in Black Swann? Summer revealed in her panel at recent Emerald Comicon that she auditioned for a role indeed (that was not picked up afterwards); i don't see why she should not keep auditioning for such roles.
I think she also auditioned for X-Men but the role was ultimately allocated to Ellen Page.
The problem is theses casting wishes are made by fans or bloggers but producers might think differently.

Yes, I know, I just don't know how frequently she does that and what decides what she tries and what she doesn't. IMO she should try as much as possible and push it as hard as possible maybe even random roles which are against her profile. The more she tries the greater is he chance that somebody magically loved one of her shows and considers hiring her.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 13 Apr 2012, 09:10 | Message # 74
Another example of Summer's sci-fi queen status in an article of the Austin Chronicles on Joe Lynch's horror sitcom Holliston :

Adam and Joe go to 'Holliston' by Richard Whittaker
Meanwhile Lynch is readying to shoot his first action-adventure, Everly starring Kate Hudson, plus his ultimate geekbait comedy Knights of Badassdom (Danny Pudi from Community, Peter Dinklage from Game of Thrones and Summer Glau from, well, everything) should be slaying them in the aisles later this year.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 08 May 2012, 09:27 | Message # 75
I usually claim i'm good at making a Summer Glau plug in an article that isn't necessarily related to her but Calvin Peat at shadowlocked is not bad either.

He reported that James Cameron only wants to make more Avatar :

Quote (James Cameron)
“So I’m not interested in developing anything. I’m in the Avatar business. Period. That’s it. I’m making Avatar 2, Avatar 3, maybe Avatar 4, and I’m not going to produce other people’s movies for them.”

At the end of his article, he managed to do a Summer Glau plug cool

Incidentally, James Cameron shares the illustrious honour, along with George Orwell, of having (had) a Summer Glau character named after him. (And along with the likes of Mr. River and Mr. Bennett, but who knows what they’re famous for. With the latter, it’s probably just for being a great character in Heroes…)

Also it has already been suggested elsewhere that Summer Glau could replace Sigourney Weaver (again) as the scientist in an Avatar sequel.

chrisdvanne

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 08 May 2012, 09:29

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture (As seen on articles and blogposts)
Page 5 of 10«1234567910»
Search: