menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture (As seen on articles and blogposts)
Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture
FordStaffDate: Tuesday, 13 Dec 2011, 07:07 | Message # 46
Group: Friends
Why would a super intelligent person challenge the numbers in the first place? I suggested manipulation and subtlety, not charging the Alliance capital head on. She'd make sure she can never be caught. Unless the Alliance wants to bomb every single habitable planet because they suspect that somebody maybe, possibly conspires against them River will never have to face with an entire fleet on her own.

Let me put it this way, Hypothetically if the Alliance used every force at its disposal, River would not have a chance. That is all I meant to say.

The thing is that its not even relevant how River would fare against other characters from other universes. Its obvious that a Jedi would brutally murder River, even a mediocre one using the Force.

I was not talking about that? You must have misunderstood my meaning, let me restate it slightly differently. We are discussing how River would fare in the firefly verse, in this discussion I am only taking verified powers and information into account - and if required some necessary assumptions.

But if comes some kind of crazy Blue Sun tech or a psychic enemy which would be a match for her then the crew could not do a thing against it.
The least that would happen is that River becomes the sole hero of the show with Mal and the crew as her assistants( not that the crew would be useless but the show wouldn't be about Mal and his fight but about River and her fight, not that I would complain) .

This is a problem that the series would have to rectify if River becomes fully coherent, but I do not think it is as unsolvable as you seem to think. A little help will always be useful, even to River, she is only one person.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 16 Dec 2011, 17:13 | Message # 47
Group: Administrators
Seen at tv.com :

NOTABLE GUEST STARS

It's always fun to see guest stars, especially ones on shows that are out of their element. Check 'em out!

Summer Glau guest star in Chuck

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 24 Dec 2011, 11:55 | Message # 48
Found a funny one in our good friend Joe Lynch's blog; he explains what it's like going from the Knights of Badassdom panel to the G4tv stage with Summer Glau on your side at San Diego Comic Con.

Also, walking in the wake of The Glau at Comic-con, I must have come off like her cheap body guard than her director, but hell, it's good company to be in right?

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 27 Dec 2011, 22:51 | Message # 49
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Found a funny one in our good friend Joe Lynch's blog; he explains what it's like going from the Knights of Badassdom panel to the G4tv stage with Summer Glau on your side at San Diego Comic Con.

He almost came through as a bit jealous until I read the last words which made clearer that it wasn't that. It sounds admiration that way( through a small jealousy might remain).

And whats with calling Summer "The Glau"? Is he using Glau-speech now smile ?

Through if he is a fan of Summer that'd explain Chrisdvannes fear about turning Gwen into a caricature of past Summer characters. Such thing doesn't necessarily happen out of malicious intent but that the overenthusiastic fan pays too many homages to those characters, forces their coolness factor on the audience and thats not a very good thing.

Especially with Summer, since she is the best when somebody lets her do her thing naturally with as much liberty and room for innovation as possible. Artificial meddling just distracts her.

BTW its very nice to hear that Summer is so much appreciated in such events. Its very good that she sees with her own eyes the admiration of many fans and thus further strengthening her belief in her abilities and in her awesome work.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 27 Dec 2011, 23:01 | Message # 50
I hope we will have official informations about Knights of Badassdom premiere and theatrical relase very soon, even sooner than expected if my sources are correct cool

Then we will see if my fear were justified or not.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 27 Dec 2011, 23:02

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 27 Dec 2011, 23:26 | Message # 51
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I hope we will have official informations about Knights of Badassdom premiere and theatrical relase very soon, even sooner than expected if my sources are correct

Then we will see if my fear were justified or not.

The sooner the better. I have been waiting for a Summer project for so long sad

I just hope Lynch understands how Summer works at least as much as we are.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 04 Jan 2012, 10:32 | Message # 52
I'm almost sure i've already reported that ranking in the Summer Glau Wiki before but i thought i could mention it here.

UGO Entertainment, known for it's top level and accurate articles ( tongue ) has published in December 2010 the following ranking :
TV's Sexiest Ass-Kicking Babes of All Time.

The list contains 25 names, including Xena or Kara "Starbuck" Thrace or Ahsoka Tano (known only by Blazius and a few other SW fans).

But if i mention that list in this thread, you undoubtedly know that Summer Glau is on top of it cool

Summer has decided to go in a different direction careerwise recently but she'll always be that iconic actress praised in such articles, no matter what.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012, 14:48 | Message # 53
Top ten crazy kick-ass girls at thevine.com

10: River Tam in Firefly / Serenity
Remember when you were a kid and your parents pushed you really, really, really hard to be your best? Yeah, me neither. But imagine if they did and they decided to send you off to The Wonder Academy For Amazing Super-Students and it turned out to instead be The KillBot Factory run by sinister figures wearing washing-up gloves? And then you had to go on the lam in space with the guy from Castle and the cheating wife from Homeland? Yeah, I’d probably be kicking serious ass after that too.

Additionally, number one is Sarah Connor from Terminator 2: Judgment Day

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 26 Jan 2012, 13:49 | Message # 54
Both ABC and the CW have announced their intention to reboot the 80's serie Beauty and the Beast, starring Ron Pearlman as the Beast and Linda Hamilton (Sarah Connor!) as the Beauty.

Beauty and the Beast - Ron Pearlman Linda Hamilton

The two networks have ordered a pilot almost simultaneously but website Vulture didn't want the fun to stop here and has decided to pitch several imaginary versions for the other networks. Each time they have given their ideal actress for the Beauty and it's not a surprise to have Summer Glau as one of the Beauty.

Quote (Vulture)
Syfy's Beauty and the Beast: When Maude agreed to be the reclusive Professor Pick's research assistant, she had no idea what she was in for. Turns out his research on anthropomorphizing curses was striking a little too close to home for a cadre of evil wizards and witches — and now they're after both Maude and the professor. But is he really on her side, or will she be left to battle the forces of danger alone? Starring Summer Glau.

Is the not so subtile allusion to "anthropomorphizing curses" only a coincidence or is the author of the article one of those sheep repeating an overused joke, thinking it's funny.

Source : Seven Beauty and the Beast Ideas for Other Networks at Vulture

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Sunday, 12 Feb 2012, 17:56

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 13 Feb 2012, 10:40 | Message # 55
A columnist at examiner.com comments Amy Acker's recent guest appearance on NBC's new fantasy/mystery/crime drama Grimm, inspired by the Brothers Grimm fairy tales :

Amy Acker's presence is a must on sci-fi fantasy shows, second only to Summer Glau.

Well, it seems that Summer Glau is more than willing to let Amy Acker or other took her queen of science-fi crown, considering her career change. While i'm sure those shows would love to have her as a guest star, my two scent is that Summer Glau and her management have deliberately chosen to turn down those job offers, with the notable exception of Alphas.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 13 Feb 2012, 12:07

BlaziusDate: Monday, 13 Feb 2012, 11:50 | Message # 56
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Well, it seems that Summer Glau is more than willing to let her Amy Acker or other took her queen of science-fi crown, considering her career change. While i'm sure those shows would love to have her as a guest star, my two scent is that Summer Glau and her management have deliberately chosen to turn down those job offers, with the notable exception of Alphas.

Sci-fi is a sinking ship and TBH it always seemed like a dead end for actors. Sci-fi was never a highly esteemed genre for some reason.

So yeah, Acker can take the crown if she wants to, Summer has already made legends in that genre which nobody will topple anyway, its time for her to conquer other genres too cool

BTW is there any word on Skylers return? I'm eager to see more of this yet another superb Summer character.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 16 Feb 2012, 15:07 | Message # 57
A blogger who writes about living his life as a curvy woman, which is perfectly understandable and respectable as such, choosed to compare Summer Glau in TSCC and Lynda Carter in Wonder Woman, saying that Summer was not credible in her role, just because she has a thin frame.

I wrote a detailed answer trying to be as polite as possible. If someone wants to write a comment, i advocate to use reasonnable arguments; thinking an article is ungrounded can be justified but not the fact to use name calling when it's not necessary.

Wonderful Wonder Woman

Edit : my comment has not been published by the blogger, which is her right; i will post it here instead.

Pardon me for being brutal but are you sure you understood the concept of the Terminator franchise? Let me quote what Kyle Reese said in Terminator (1984) :
“The Terminator is an infiltration unit, part man, part machine. Underneath, it’s a hyperalloy combat chassis – micro processor-controlled, fully armored. Very tough. But outside, it’s living human tissue – flesh, skin, hair, blood, grown for the cyborgs…”

A terminator, included Cameron played by Summer glau in TSCC, is not an human whose strenght is directly proportional to its muscle mass but a robot mechanised by hydraulic equipment, giving it an extraordinary strenght that is not connected to its external physical appearance. Therefore your remark about Summer Glau thin frame being not credible is completely false, unless you have not enough imagination to undertand the concept of a robot. Saying as you did that Lynda Carter is more credible just because she has an athletic frame proves you have have a limited imagination and no idea of the concept of suspension of disbelief.

I’ll tell you a secret, Terminators and super heroines like Wonder Woman don’t exist in reality and both Cameron and Wonder Woman’s extraordinary strenght are created by the imagination of talented writers.

More, Camerons strenght is scientifically more credible than Wonder Woman’s (simply Google “endoskeleton” to see that such prosthetics already exists and demultiply the strenght by using hydrolic systems).

I would have agree with you if you had chosen the example of an anorexic Angelina Jolie beating up strong guys in her last films, whereas she has no super power; fyi Summer Glau is a former ballerina and an athlete, as proven by her performance in Joss Whedon movie Serenity.

Honestly, your article is one of the most meaningless i have seen on the net for a long time.

However, i managed to send my message to the blogger via Twitter.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Thursday, 16 Feb 2012, 22:29

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 16 Feb 2012, 17:55 | Message # 58
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Edit : my comment has not been published by the blogger, which is her right; i will post it here instead.

I wrote a comment too but it says that it is "...awaiting moderation " and its only visible for me so far. Of course I don't expect it to be published or if it gets published she'll probably butcher it so much that it won't resemble my original post.

I've done what I can, maybe she reads it before deleting or while butchering it and she gets the message even if she doesn't admit it.

Message edited by Blazius - Thursday, 16 Feb 2012, 17:56

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 16 Feb 2012, 18:07 | Message # 59
I just had an answer via Twitter :

@chrisdvanne I'm sure the moderator will publish your comment when he gets in the office tomorrow

To what i answered :

Fine, b/c i have more mistakes to point out. this one is for free : " she was played by Lynda **Wagner** in the American TV show."

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Thursday, 16 Feb 2012, 18:08

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 16 Feb 2012, 18:18 | Message # 60
Second message i wrote on the blog :

I quote you :
“Would someone similar to Carter be cast as Wonder Woman now?
Probably not, sadly. We’d probably be looking at someone younger, thinner and unrealistic.”

I suggest you read more carefully the entertainment news sites before writing about Wonder Woman, as every serious blogger would do, because what you wrote is entirely wrong; firstly, the role has been cast very recently, indeed actress Adrianna Palicki has been cast in 2011 to play Wonder Woman in David E. Kelley’s pilot for NBC (the pilot was filmed but not picked up as serie by NBC). Secondly, Lynda Carter was 24 when she first played the role while Adrianne Palicki was 27, that’s for “younger”. Thirdly Lynda Carter is 5’9″ while Adrianne Palicki is 5’11″ and if you look for pictures of Adrianne (not the photoshopped ones), you will see she probably weight much more than Lynda, that’s for the “thinner and unrealistic”.

I’m sure you wrote this article in good faith and i can only agree that the image of the woman showed by Hollywood is unhealthy but i also notice that the example you have chosen does not proves your point because it’s based on a misconception of the Terminator’s essence.

"...awaiting moderation "

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Thursday, 16 Feb 2012, 18:21

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture (As seen on articles and blogposts)
Search: