menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture (As seen on articles and blogposts)
Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture
chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 10:42 | Message # 16
Group: Administrators
On the opposite, Joe Lynch rarely mention Summer Glau when interviewed about Knights of Badassdom.

We had an amazing preview at Comic-Con, where we showed the first trailer, just to find out if people really want to see a movie like this. And the response was overwhelmingly positive. People want to see Steve Zahn, Peter Dinklage and Ryan Kwanten beating the shit out of monsters with foam swords, you know?

Source : Fangoria

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 19:43 | Message # 17
Group: Friends
Quote (chrisdvanne)
On the opposite, Joe Lynch rarely mention Summer Glau when interviewed about Knights of Badassdom.

We had an amazing preview at Comic-Con, where we showed the first trailer, just to find out if people really want to see a movie like this. And the response was overwhelmingly positive. People want to see Steve Zahn, Peter Dinklage and Ryan Kwanten beating the shit out of monsters with foam swords, you know?

Source : Fangoria

"I have a bad feeling about this" dry

It may show that he has absolutely no clue who he got with Summer let alone how to use her abilities properly. Hope its not the case but its a bad sign IMO.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 19:57 | Message # 18
Quote (Blazius)
It may show that he has absolutely no clue who he got with Summer let alone how to use her abilities properly. Hope its not the case but its a bad sign IMO.

We know that Summer was a late addition to KOB and i share your point of view. Summer was there for fan service but i doubt we will be surprised by her role. Though i think it's perfectly normal that the film and Joe Lynch benefit from Peter Dinklage's bump in notoriety due to its Emmy.

Whedon's indie movie Cabin in the Woods will be released next year only because Thor's Chris Hemsworth features in it; of course Chris was relatively unknown at the time Whedon filmed it.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 01 Dec 2011, 15:29 | Message # 19
Find a good one at Gawker; i read the article at the time (january 2011) but missed the reference to Summer Glau's geek appeal (pun intented) :

NBC has ordered the "Harry Potter for grownups" series from Battlestar Galactica creator Ron Moore, The 17th Precinct. Yes, certain people, I did just type Harry Potter and Battlestar Galactica in the same sentence. Are you exploding yet? No? OK. Let me try again: Joss Whedon will be directing David Tennant and Summer Glau in a new Golden Compass miniseries for HBO. Did that do it??? It's not true, y'know. I really just want to see someone explode.

Side note : The 17th Precinct pilot was ordered by NBC and filmed at Vancouver but was not picked to series. Notice that BSG creator Ron Moore hired 3 former BSG actors : Jamie "viper top gun" Bamber, James "i'm in love with the Six number" Callis and Tricia "Six herself" Helfer.

FordStaffDate: Thursday, 01 Dec 2011, 19:13 | Message # 20
Let me try again: Joss Whedon will be directing David Tennant and Summer Glau in a new Golden Compass miniseries for HBO

I thought this was for real before I read the next sentences, damn you. I have no idea what the Golden Compass would be about, yet I can not help but be depressed that it is not happening (even though it was never happening to begin with).

"Harry Potter for grown ups" with the BSG creator. That would be torturous to the soul, I am sure. I am glad this is not happening, because if it was any good then I would have to like yet another show that has terrible things happen to just about everyone. LOST and BSG have given me plenty high death per character ratio as it is (in addition to the high individual flaws and personal problem per character ratio).

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 02 Dec 2011, 01:11 | Message # 21
Quote (FordStaff)
I thought this was for real before I read the next sentences, damn you.

Sorry wink
In the mind of the articles's author, this news was supposed to represent the nirvanna for the geeks, which fits perfectly the topic of this thread.

FordStaffDate: Friday, 02 Dec 2011, 03:31 | Message # 22
In the mind of the articles's author, this news was supposed to represent the nirvanna for the geeks, which fits perfectly the topic of this thread.

I was not damming you but rather the article's author, well maybe just a little damming of you for posting it. There are few announcements in the entertainment media that can excite me, but seeing my favorite actors in a new gig is one of them (very few actors qualify, a handful at most - Summer is #1 biggrin ). One other thing is the announcement of specific projects that are awesome, for example if it was announced that a Knights of the Old Republic movie were to be made. For a real example the announcement of a new season and movie for Arrested Development a month or so ago would be a great one.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 19:41 | Message # 23
Summer Glau is not very well known in France even if TSCC aired on cable (not sure about Firefly) and her films also aired on tv.

There is no fansite in French to my knowledge, only pages dedicated to Summer Glau in movie or tv specialized websites. One of these sites, namely Critictoo, reported the airing of The Cape, premiering tonight, on SyFy France. I couldn't help but notice that Summer is the only member of the cast with a link attached to its name, leading to a dedicated page on the site.

Summer Glau link at critictoo.com

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011, 15:02 | Message # 24
French blog tele.fluctuat.net made an article about The Cape, which premiered yesterday on SyFy France, titled : 3 good reasons to watch The Cape.

The Cape

Here are the 3 good reasons (i translated only the Summer Glau related one) :
1) An accumulation of inspirations
2) An animated comic book
3) The guarantee Summer Glau

Summer Glau as Orwell in The Cape

La caution « Summer Glau »
L'actrice, vue dans Firefly, de Joss Whedon, est partie prenante dans nombre d'autres productions du même bois : Dollhouse, autre création du même Joss Whedon ou Terminator : Sarah Connor Chronicles, mini-série tirée des films, où elle incarne un Terminator au grand cœur, sous son armature métallique. Summer Glau est l'une des actrices très en vue de la sphère geek (avec Katee Sackhoff, de Battlestar Galactica). Pour preuve, son apparition dans un épisode de la série The Big Bang Theory.

The guarantee "Summer Glau"
The actress, seen in Joss Whedon's Firefly, is involved in many other productions of the sametype: Dollhouse, another creation of Joss Whedon or Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, mini-series from the Terminator movies, in which she played a Terminator with a big heart, under her metal skeleton. Summer Glau is one of the prominent actresses of the geek sphere (with Katee Sackhoff, Battlestar Galactica). As proven by her appeareance in an episode of The Big Bang Theory.

"mini-série" or "a Terminator with a big heart, under her metal skeleton" : i wonder if the author of the article saw (or understood) TSCC tongue

FordStaffDate: Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011, 16:59 | Message # 25
"mini-série" or "a Terminator with a big heart, under her metal skeleton" : i wonder if the author of the article saw (or understood) TSCC tongue

While article writers misunderstand and misstate even simple things, Science Fiction is the most misunderstood genre of all. Other types of speculative fiction get it bad too though.

I am a little angry that Summer is relegated to a "geek actress", she should just be considered an amazing actress by anyone not just geeks. I guess this is why she is branching out of SF, I hope it works out. It is not a bad thing, but it makes it easy to downplay her when she is some special interest type actor, a cult actor so to speak. When it comes down to it, people will use their prejudice for their judgements, SF is unjustly considered inferior, and so will Summer.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011, 17:11 | Message # 26
@ FordStaff
That's a shorcut that is very often used; i usually don't reply when it's done whith no intention to harm or to downplay Summer (like in this blog post) but i sometimes do in the other case; because, as you said, some don't hesitate to mock a sci-fi queen in order to make a joke; they think they're funny whereas they're either misinformed or simplify things on purpose (I can be fierce in those cases).

In a few years, when Summer will have a few more roles outside of sci-fi, they're will be some sort of balance and this will tend to diseppear i guess, even if those other roles are not as iconic as River or Cameron; that's no coincidence they're is no NCIS or Two and Half Men conventions biggrin

FordStaffDate: Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011, 17:39 | Message # 27
that's no coincidence they're is no NCIS or Two and Half Men conventions biggrin

Mainstream audiences are fickle, get the geek audience and they will never go away. Not to mention SF is just more ripe for this, but you can see it in even mainstream genres with shows such as Arrested Development or Community. Its all about being imaginative, which is exactly what the mainstream refuses to do.

It pisses me off that people are willing to watch the same bullshit over and over, but never give the great shows a try. There are some good shows that were given a chance by the mainstream, but it is generally not a the case.

Message edited by FordStaff - Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011, 17:41

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 09 Dec 2011, 11:07 | Message # 28
A martial art practitioner has published an article in website OpposingViews inwhich he's glad to see that a mixed martial arts competitor, namely Gina Carano, is playing a credible asskicking female in action movie “Haywire.”

My point is that along with more realistic fighting, partially a product of the MMA boom, we should also get more realistic women filling action roles. Or at least a better understanding of the physique it takes to fill those roles.

\Let’s face it, Hollywood is filled with tiny little women. There’s a lot of pressure to fit the image of an “ideal” beauty, and these days the movie industry is taking its ques from the fashion industry. When was the last time you saw a 5’4″, 160lbs actress in the movies or on TV? This isn’t just about being down with the thickness, however. Part of it has to do with pride. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Summer Glau as River Tam (“Serenity”), Zoe Saldana as Cataleya Restrepo (“Colombiana”), Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers (“Buffy, The Vampire Slayer”), Jennifer Garner as Elektra (“Daredevil”, “Elektra”), and others. Never mind that individually, I like all of these women; Summer Glau’s impossibly high cheekbones alone have captured my heart. But as a man, more so as a martial arts practitioner, I find it insulting that Hollywood is selling us on the idea that these women could go toe-to-toe grown men in a fist fight. If they were using weapons, sure, but they’re often shown just throwing down. God bless her, but Jennifer Garner’s arms are no bigger than Pixie Stix, and I’m pretty sure Zoe Saldana’s tiny figure doubles as a pipe cleaner. Yet we, as an audience, are expected to believe these women are action stars when their frames are clearly eggshell-fragile. Enter Gina Carano...

...I mean Carano would knock me into next Tuesday, Ronda Rousey would slam me down and rip my arm off before I knew what was happening, and Cris Santos would just go into Chute Boxe Killbot mode. These are believable action stars. They have been training for combat since they were young, and it shows. Meanwhile, I have to believe that Sarah Michelle Gellar would hurt her hand if she tried to body-punch me.

Before you start to flame the author of the article, don't forget that the topic of this thread is Summer Glau's impact in the geek or pop culture. In this regard, Summer Glau's character River Tam is once again associated with names that are much more mainstream than River herself. You'll notice that he's even a fan of Summer Glau.

But we can also discuss the validity of his point of view or the chances of seing Hollywood make changes accordingly.

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 10 Dec 2011, 00:01 | Message # 29

But we can also discuss the validity of his point of view or the chances of seing Hollywood make changes accordingly.

Seeing as how he is the martial artists, I see no reason not to trust his viewpoint. But correct me if I am wrong, Buffy has supernatural powers boosting her strength, so that example is justified. River Tam uses weapons quite often also, but I could understand the bar fight being a bit ridiculous. Although that fight is also somewhat justified by the fact that River is a mind reading, genius goverment experiment programmed to beat the shit out of people.

It is interesting that River Tam and Summer are associated with such mainstream examples. I find it likely to be because the fight scenes in Serenity really show her stuff.

This is partly off topic but I can not help but show this video further proof of the superiority of Community over The Big Bang Theory.

The single thing The Big Bang Theory has that can surpass that is Summer Glau. Why do the best shows get cancelled cry . (I have got fingers crossed NBC is pulling a ruse) Further off topic, Donald Glover is gonna do great things, he is awesome.

Message edited by FordStaff - Saturday, 10 Dec 2011, 00:07

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 10 Dec 2011, 01:56 | Message # 30
Quote (FordStaff)
Buffy has supernatural powers boosting her strength, so that example is justified. River Tam uses weapons quite often also, but I could understand the bar fight being a bit ridiculous. Although that fight is also somewhat justified by the fact that River is a mind reading, genius goverment experiment programmed to beat the shit out of people.

The guy says BS. River is not a simple human. She is a mind reader genius who is possibly a precog too.

Also the Alliance very likely enchanced her body too to be able to fight and "Slinter Cell" as she did in the movie.

From Serenity script:

SIMON: How is she physically?

DOCTOR: Like nothing we've seen. All our subjects are conditioned for combat, but River...she's a creatue of extraordinary grace.

Further speculations about Rivers abilities or what causes them are in this thread:

River Tam, a mind-reader or more?

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture (As seen on articles and blogposts)
Search: