menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau about fan dedication
Summer Glau about fan dedication
BlaziusDate: Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 01:08 | Message # 1
Group: Friends
"My favorite part about being involved in sci-fi is the loyalty I've felt-no matter what I do the fans always give it a chance, and that means the world to me", says Glau.

I know that Summer might not always say the truth when she is being interviewed but I'd like to believe there is some truth in what she says and she is indeed aware of the fans love and loyalty towards her. Besides she describes us perfectly I think regarding giving a chance to anything she does.

Through the reasoning is a bit faulty I think. I and I think most of us don't love her because she is a sci-fi queen, but because of her actual skills and her fantastic personality.

So I hope she speaks more of personal experience than repeating what she is supposed to say( like in the HPP interviews)

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 01:19 | Message # 2
Group: Administrators
I hope the fans can make the difference between the obligatory language used when answering a cumbersome question or promoting a tv show or 5 Gums and the parts when she describe very genuinely what she thinks about the fans. I don't think the patience and the sweeteness towards fans showed during fan conventions are fake for example.

Though i'm not sure the majority of us will watch Scent of the Misssing if TNT decides to broadcast the serie. But that's not so important as long as new fans and a new audience show up. As FordStaff said if the price to pay for Summer to became a successful mainstream actress is to be separated from her "loyal" sci-fi fanbase, then so be it. Whe must not be selfish and Summer's career top everything.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 01:24 | Message # 3
I know that Summer might not always say the truth when she is being interviewed but I'd like to believe there is some truth in what she says and she is indeed aware of the fans love and loyalty towards her. Besides she describes us perfectly I think regarding giving a chance to anything she does.

Through the reasoning is a bit faulty I think. I and I think most of us don't love her because she is a sci-fi queen, but because of her actual skills and her fantastic personality.

I would not be surprised if Science Fiction fans are far more loyal (whether towards the creators, actors, the show itself) than those who just watch mainstream T.V. If I had to attribute this to anything, I would say it is due to the fact the those who watch SF and not just mainstream shows are willing to be far more analytical and observant, rather than just sitting there accepting what is on the screen . This is not to say mainstream genres have no thought, just that those who watch mainstream genre generally want less demanded of them on the whole --- Case in point "The Wire" demands far far far greater from the audience than most main stream genre shows, but it is the exception of the rule -- note that no one watched it while it was on despite being called the greatest show ever made now.

This attention to the details that the science fiction audience has allows more appreciation of good actors. Not only that but these actors who go into the science fiction genre generally get screwed by the system. We Science Fiction fans owe it to these actors, because they used their talent for our genre that is a dead end career path wise.

The Science Fiction Ghetto is the root of it.

is to be separated from her "loyal" sci-fi fanbase, then so be it. Whe must not be selfish and Summer's career top everything.

For the reasons stated above I think her Sci-fi base will last quite a while even with her outreach into the mainstream. There are few Science fiction shows out there, and fewer good ones. She is already part of the legacy enough to merit the distinction of Queen of Science Fiction, and Science Fiction fans will remember that, because that's just what we do.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 01:51

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 01:40 | Message # 4
Quote (michelangelo)
Though i'm not sure the majority of us will watch Scent of the Misssing if TNT decides to broadcast the serie. But that's not so important as long as new fans and a new audience show up. As FordStaff said if the price to pay for Summer to became a successful mainstream actress is to be separated from her "loyal" sci-fi fanbase, then so be it. Whe must not be selfish and Summer's career top everything.

I'll watch Scent if I have the chance BTW. But I'd like her to have enough screentime otherwise I may give up. If she gets that then I don't care what kind of show it is as long as I can see her in something new( speaking about loyalty of sci-fi fans biggrin ) .

Message edited by Blazius - Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 01:40

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 01:52 | Message # 5
Quote (Blazius)
I'll watch Scent if I have the chance BTW. But I'd like her to have enough screentime otherwise I may give up. If she gets that then I don't care what kind of show it is as long as I can see her in something new( speaking about loyalty of sci-fi fans ) .

I did not watched her in Dollhouse, nor in Deadley Honeymoon, so i know what i'm talking about biggrin
More seriously, i've read comments from old fans and a lot said like you or even they won't watch at all a Drama about dogs, even for Summer.

I find it a bit surprising that the producers decided to hire two actresses who have the same profile in a Drama, considering this is new for both of them and we have no insurance their fanbase will flock in mass to this new project.

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 02:04 | Message # 6
Quote (michelangelo)
I did not watched her in Dollhouse, nor in Deadley Honeymoon, so i know what i'm talking about

You don't know what you've missed but I won't force it( they worth a watch with Summer seriously wink ).

Quote (michelangelo)
I find it a bit surprising that the producers decided to hire two actresses who have the same profile in a Drama, considering this is new for both of them and we have no insurance their fanbase will flock in mass to this new project.

Yeah, thats odd, maybe they know something we don't?
I don't like dogs at all( maybe I'm the only person on Earth but I don't care) but I long for a weekly Summer role so bad, I want to see her no matter what.

My only concern is whether she will get screentime not. If she doesn't then my reason to watch the show will be gone and I won't care anymore.

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 02:09 | Message # 7
I don't like dogs at all( maybe I'm the only person on Earth but I don't care)

I love animals, but that does not mean that I would prefer one of my favorite actors (#1 favorite) to be in a show about dogs. The only redeeming factor is that it is in a mainstream genre, and Summer was not going to go any further in SF. There are not even any good SF shows for her to have gone to anyways, and I would not want her to. I hope this new show lasts just long enough for Summer to get recognition and then ends any which way, so that she can be in a show with a better concept.

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 02:33 | Message # 8
Quote (FordStaff)
I love animals, but that does not mean that I would prefer one of my favorite actors (#1 favorite) to be in a show about dogs. The only redeeming factor is that it is in a mainstream genre, and Summer was not going to go any further in SF. There are not even any good SF shows for her to have gone to anyways, and I would not want her to. I hope this new show lasts just long enough for Summer to get recognition and then ends any which way, so that she can be in a show with a better concept.

I don't like this that much either. But if its good for her career then I'm happy with it, I'd just like her to get the success which she so rightfully deserves. And I'd like it so she can finally be content with herself and be happy with the successes she achieved, my opinion of her is absolutely independent from her popularity.

And if this is the case and she'll do it anyway then I may as well try to enjoy it.

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 02:38 | Message # 9
my opinion of her is absolutely independent from her popularity.

Agreed. My thoughts on the loyalty of science fiction fans got lost on the previous page so I will shamelessly repeat it ---

I would not be surprised if Science Fiction fans are far more loyal (whether towards the creators, actors, the show itself) than those who just watch mainstream T.V. If I had to attribute this to anything, I would say it is due to the fact the those who watch SF and not just mainstream shows are willing to be far more analytical and observant, rather than just sitting there accepting what is on the screen . This is not to say mainstream genres have no thought, just that those who watch mainstream genre generally want less demanded of them on the whole --- Case in point "The Wire" demands far far far greater from the audience than most main stream genre shows, but it is the exception of the rule -- note that no one watched it while it was on despite being called the greatest show ever made now.

This attention to the details that the science fiction audience has allows more appreciation of good actors. Not only that but these actors who go into the science fiction genre generally get screwed by the system. We Science Fiction fans owe it to these actors, because they used their talent for our genre that is a dead end career path wise.

The Science Fiction Ghetto is the root of it.

For the reasons stated above I think her Sci-fi base will last quite a while even with her outreach into the mainstream. There are few Science fiction shows out there, and fewer good ones. She is already part of the legacy enough to merit the distinction of Queen of Science Fiction, and Science Fiction fans will remember that, because that's just what we do.

I think Science Fiction fans who like Summer even if they do not watch the show, will at the very least be cheering on the sidelines.

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 02:45 | Message # 10
Summer's roles in Firefly and in TSCC were roles of a lifetime; she was blessed to have played them. And us fans will always remember them, indeed.
I hope Summer will have plenty of other roles in various genre and have the success she deserves but even so we will never forget her first iconic roles.

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 02:53 | Message # 11
Quote (michelangelo)
Summer's roles in Firefly and in TSCC were roles of a lifetime; she was blessed to have played them. And us fans will always remember them, indeed.
I hope Summer will have plenty of other roles in various genre and have the success she deserves but even so we will never forget her first iconic roles.

Why should we forget them? They were roles of a lifetime as you said. But I don't think we should ignore her other successes and live only with those two roles. For me almost every role of her was a success because she did them exactly with the same proficiency and care as she did River and Cameron.
Only that matters for me. The roles I don't like are the ones which aren't that good because the writers messed her up.

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 03:01 | Message # 12
For me almost every role of her was a success because she did them exactly with the same proficiency and care as she did River and Cameron.

But you have to admit that River and Cameron were particularly well written and acted characters. Not only that but they are the most iconic characters she has played, both arguably the most iconic characters from their respective shows (Cameron for sure, River could not be reasonably lower than top 3 minimum). Both the characters also had big impacts on the direction of their shows.

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 03:26 | Message # 13
Quote (FordStaff)
But you have to admit that River and Cameron were particularly well written and acted characters. Not only that but they are the most iconic characters she has played, both arguably the most iconic characters from their respective shows (Cameron for sure, River could not be reasonably lower than top 3 minimum). Both the characters also had big impacts on the direction of their shows.

Of course, and they are my favorites too, I'm just saying that I don't like to ignore her other characters. Her acting proficiency still makes them the most enjoyable character of the show and its a great fun to watch her dealing with different characters.

Not only that but also the more characters you watch her playing the more different aspects you will learn about her acting.

She is incredibly sweet as Bennett for example and this aspect is more dominant with this character than with her two big characters.

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 03:33 | Message # 14
She is incredibly sweet as Bennett for example and this aspect is more dominant with this character than with her two big characters.

I would say River had sweetness as a big part of her personality. The problem was just that we did not get to see much of her personality partly because the show was so short lived, and partly because her character was insane and often communicated with cryptic one liners. Her interactions with her brother when she is not crying and almost all with Kaylee show that she is very sweet, which makes it all the more horrible that she was trained to be an assassin or soldier. The River Tam Sessions especially show the sweetness at least at first...

Of course, and they are my favorites too, I'm just saying that I don't like to ignore her other characters. Her acting proficiency still makes them the most enjoyable character of the show and its a great fun to watch her dealing with different characters.

We should not ignore them, but from a pragmatic point of view actors are known for their major and iconic roles.

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 19 Nov 2011, 03:55 | Message # 15
Quote (FordStaff)
I would say River had sweetness as a big part of her personality. The problem was just that we did not get to see much of her personality partly because the show was so short lived, and partly because her character was insane and often communicated with cryptic one liners. Her interactions with her brother when she is not crying and almost all with Kaylee show that she is very sweet, which makes it all the more horrible that she was trained to be an assassin or soldier. The River Tam Sessions especially show the sweetness at least at first...

Thats why I wrote more dominant. And I agree that River was sweet sometimes too but Bennet was sweet for a whole episode. She also smiles and laughs a lot and thats what makes her so incredibly sweet. We didn't saw River or Cameron smiling that much.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau about fan dedication
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: