menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's Accent?
Summer Glau's Accent?
BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 02:41 | Message # 31
Group: Friends
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
Notably, if nervousness is the cause, then this "accent" need not be present whenever she is acting, since she would be speaking scripted lines.

Interestingly Fordstaff noticed the "accent" in Mammoth where she got scripted lines too. And I think she speaks a bit strangely in some TSCC episodes too( I'm saying it so take it for what it is).

Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
Good question. "Accent" is defined as A distinctive mode of pronunciation of a language. Whether you want to call what we are talking about an "accent" depends on whether you would allow the definition of the term "accent" to include the effect that has been identified. It's semantics.

Identifiable differences in pacing and cadence can fall under the definition of accent. The term "Southern drawl" refers in part to pacing and the elongation of certain syllables, and it is commonly accepted as a form of accent.

Suppose I told you that my voice takes on a Brooklyn accent whenever I am nervous. Would that mean that my Brooklyn accent is not an accent? I mean, is the cause of my accent a good reason to say that it is not an accent? I don't know -- you could define it any way you want.

I suppose your are right. I asked because when I met with this word it was always about regional differences in languages however I read a bit and I found too that its not necessarily true. So we can call it an "accent" I think.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 02:43 | Message # 32
Interestingly Fordstaff noticed the "accent" in Mammoth where she got scripted lines too. And I think she speaks a bit strangely in some TSCC episodes too( I'm saying it so take it for what it is).

Yes I believe her role on Chuck was just particularly devoid of her accent which is why I mentioned it. Her roles on other shows seem to have the accent, but just to a lesser extent than in interviews, so there is some truth in that nervousness plays a factor.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

REGDate: Friday, 18 May 2012, 15:24 | Message # 33
Quote (Devo)
She seems to be able to change her voice a bit too. I like her cute squeaky shy voice. xD

i do too. i think we all do biggrin

and i have noticed the accent or oddness in her speech at times too. i find her voice has an Angelic quality smile

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

KaliDate: Saturday, 02 Jun 2012, 05:22 | Message # 34
I think it might have to do with accent mixing...being born and raised in texas and then adapting to Califormia and perhaps even the influence of accents she's had to do for characters(like on Angel) People often think I have an odd accent when I head down south(From the midwest: Minnesota).

riversfeetDate: Saturday, 02 Jun 2012, 16:58 | Message # 35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fJCt_wEbXU

Watch the panel from ECCC, go to 22:50 when she's talking about her broken toe, and when she says, "There just came a point where I couldn't move my foot", her Texan accent really comes out on that one sentence.

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

Sammy9578Date: Tuesday, 05 Jun 2012, 01:06 | Message # 36
I'm also not a native english speaker, but I noticed something like an accent in her pronunciation too.
When I talked to her she spoke with an accent I know from people I know living in the Houston area, San Antonio and in between.
Although she has a little unique way to talk.
When I seemed to not understand her completely, she switched to an english with no accent to make it easier for me to understand. She's very good in recognizing people's reactions and switches immediately.
The interview they made at San Diego ComicCon was mainly for the US audience. So Summer could speak as she wanted to.
The interview on the DVD is for selling worldwide. Those interviews in the bonus content on a DVD won't be dubbed like the main movie. So I think she tried to speak more plain english to get understood better. And she was surely prepared of the question.

The difference of the intensity of her accent is probably related to her job.
I know it from my job too. Mostly I speak with an accent that's usually spoken here in my region, but when I have to speak to an audience for a presentation or something else, I speak plain german with almost no accent. Especially when there are people that don't talk with that, or an other, accent.

But I agree with you that shyness and nervousness can take effect on talking.

Summer Glau - A Woman We Love
facebook.com/groups/summer.a.woman.we.love/

Message edited by Sammy9578 - Tuesday, 05 Jun 2012, 01:08

REGDate: Wednesday, 06 Jun 2012, 14:03 | Message # 37
Quote (Sammy9578)
The interview on the DVD is for selling worldwide. Those interviews in the bonus content on a DVD won't be dubbed like the main movie. So I think she tried to speak more plain english to get understood better. And she was surely prepared of the question.

which DVD is this? is it a San Diego ComicCon souvenir DVD?

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Sammy9578Date: Wednesday, 06 Jun 2012, 14:36 | Message # 38
No, I meant the second interview posted here in the thread.
It's from the "Superman Batman Apocalypse" DVD/Blu-Ray.

Summer Glau - A Woman We Love
facebook.com/groups/summer.a.woman.we.love/

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's Accent?
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Search: