menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's Accent?
Summer Glau's Accent?
KrelleKDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 07:17 | Message # 16
Group: Friends
She did do english with what i suppose was Russian accent(I think) in the Angel episode - Waiting in the Wings, damn that one episode is damn sad cry :'( cry

Message edited by KrelleK - Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 22:24

BlaziusDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 17:53 | Message # 17
Quote (FordStaff)
Searching through some videos, has now only served to further confuse the matter. I have not yet found an instance of her accent thickening as I had hoped, but I have found conflicting strength of accents between two separate interviews. I will be doing some more searching but for now compare these---

To me she seems to have a stronger accent in the first video than the second, does everybody else agree with this?

Also just to show a different accent, listen to her role on Chuck. Video Link It hardly counts since she is playing a character, but she lacks the accent even more so than in the second interview. Greta almost does not even sound like Summer because of it.

I will continue listening to find the elusive phenomena I am convinced exists (a sudden thickening of the accent), and hopefully can make some sense of this.

I admit I'm a bit outmatched here, Devo or termi-ninja-tor would be far more help to you. I think I hear the phenomenon which termi-ninja-tor described in both videos you posted although I can't measure how strong it is as you can do so probably you are right. Just to make this more accurate( so I can help searching more) could you describe what you hear as Summers accent a bit more precisely( I'm a bit confused wacko now )

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaffDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 20:39 | Message # 18
Just to make this more accurate( so I can help searching more) could you describe what you hear as Summers accent a bit more precisely( I'm a bit confused wacko now )

Her accent, I do not know. Devo suggested it is a typical Mid-Western accent, which may or may not be true. I will not be any help at describing the features of her accent.

I posted the videos, because I noticed that her accent is not the same strength so we know that it is not consistent. Greta on Chuck did not even sound like Summer, because her accent was almost completely eliminated in the part.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 21:17 | Message # 19
Quote (FordStaff)
Her accent, I do not know. Devo suggested it is a typical Mid-Western accent, which may or may not be true. I will not be any help at describing the features of her accent.

I posted the videos, because I noticed that her accent is not the same strength so we know that it is not consistent. Greta on Chuck did not even sound like Summer, because her accent was almost completely eliminated in the part.

Sounds strange. What if she tries to hide it for some reason( I have no idea why she'd do that) and she succeeds for the most part but when she is careless something slips through and thats what you hear? Maybe her real accent is very identifiable but because she doesn't speak it all the time you can't tell what is it.

Although I'm aware this may sound a bit far fetched biggrin

FordStaffDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 21:31 | Message # 20
Maybe her real accent is very identifiable but because she doesn't speak it all the time you can't tell what is it.

Although I'm aware this may sound a bit far fetched biggrin

I have no idea. My only explanation that I will explore further is that the different contexts of the interviews caused the differing strength of the accent. In one interview it was behind the scenes and she likely already knew the questions. The other interview she would have less preparation for, perhaps making her more nervous. What I am thinking is that the strength of her accent may correspond with how nervous she is.

DevoDate: Tuesday, 15 Nov 2011, 01:47 | Message # 21
Quote (FordStaff)
Just to make this more accurate( so I can help searching more) could you describe what you hear as Summers accent a bit more precisely( I'm a bit confused wacko now )

I meant middle American accent as in the sort of vanilla/average accent American's have when speaking English. She sounds like she could be from Northern California as much as Austin/San Antonio.

Nothing really thick like Boston, New York, or Cajun accents. biggrin

DevoDate: Tuesday, 15 Nov 2011, 01:56 | Message # 22
Quote (FordStaff)
Searching through some videos, has now only served to further confuse the matter. I have not yet found an instance of her accent thickening as I had hoped, but I have found conflicting strength of accents between two separate interviews. I will be doing some more searching but for now compare these---

To me she seems to have a stronger accent in the first video than the second, does everybody else agree with this?

Also just to show a different accent, listen to her role on Chuck. Video Link It hardly counts since she is playing a character, but she lacks the accent even more so than in the second interview. Greta almost does not even sound like Summer because of it.

I will continue listening to find the elusive phenomena I am convinced exists (a sudden thickening of the accent), and hopefully can make some sense of this.

I think in the first video she sounds more perky and spontaneous, maybe a little nervous. Really cute.

In the second video she sounds a lot more relaxed, and has a softer more dreamy, "say my name please, ma'am" voice. She melts me like butter. tongue

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 15 Nov 2011, 02:04 | Message # 23
Quote (Devo)
I think in the first video she sounds more perky and spontaneous, maybe a little nervous. Really cute.

In the second video she sounds a lot more relaxed, and has a softer more dreamy, "say my name please, ma'am" voice. She melts me like butter.

She is the very definition of cuteness, isn't she ?

Accent or not cool

termi-ninja-torDate: Tuesday, 15 Nov 2011, 06:19 | Message # 24
After reviewing a number of interviews, I have refined my impression to identify that she often speaks with a certain cadence. She seems often to speak in half sentences, where she seems to pause partway through a sentence, as if seeking the right words to complete the expression of her thought. Perhaps this is more normal in an interview setting since she is being asked to speak on an impromptu basis. (In contrast, her lines as Greta in Chuck were few and well-rehearsed, so they were spoken completely without this effect.) What I am describing can be observed in the following interview:

[url=]Summer Interview by SidewalksTV.com

When she tries to place more emphasis on a phrase, her voice often has a little quaver in it, like when she pronounces "hearts" at 1:15 in the video and when she pronounce "three" at 1:56. Also when she says "big" at 2:06, she chose to draw out the word for emphasis. This was a choice she made where others might have spoken the word a little more loudly to achieve the same emphasis. Still hard to pinpoint the accent, though.

Not related to the accent that we are talking about, throughout this interview, her voice was in the lower registers, like she was trying to speak like a contralto. Also, she sounded a little nasal, like she might have a cold.

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Tuesday, 15 Nov 2011, 06:21

FordStaffDate: Tuesday, 15 Nov 2011, 06:29 | Message # 25
She seems often to speak in half sentences, where she seems to pause partway through a sentence, as if seeking the right words to complete the expression of her thought. Perhaps this is more normal in an interview setting since she is being asked to speak on an impromptu basis.

That is likely due to her shyness, as it becomes worse in situations which are more impromptu. Summer is not exactly the best interview material biggrin .

You seem to be able to describe the accent far better than anyone else. While the accent with her role of Greta is almost non-existent, it was still there with her River role.

termi-ninja-torDate: Tuesday, 15 Nov 2011, 06:54 | Message # 26
Quote (FordStaff)
You seem to be able to describe the accent far better than anyone else. While the accent with her role of Greta is almost non-existent, it was still there with her River role.

Thanks. It's hard to identify. When I listened to the interview, I could tell there was something there, but it took me many listenings to be able to pull out any particulars.* Fortunately, I really like watching Summer talk, so the whole experience was quite enjoyable for me. smile

* Reminded me of looking for a Predator while its invisibility shield was active. You could tell that something was there, but there was nothing to see.

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 15 Nov 2011, 21:02 | Message # 27
Does that even count as an accent? I mean I don't speak my native with an accent but even my pronunciation and pacing sounds different when I'm nervous and my voice is shaking a bit. Just asking.

DevoDate: Tuesday, 15 Nov 2011, 23:17 | Message # 28
Quote (Blazius)
Quote (Devo)

In the second video she sounds a lot more relaxed, and has a softer more dreamy, "say my name please, ma'am" voice. She melts me like butter.

She is the very definition of cuteness, isn't she ?

Accent or not cool

We are lucky to live in a world of a happy warm hearted Glau. If we lived in bizarro world with an evil Glau I'd be in big trouble. She could talk this mook right here into just about anything. :P

ChrisDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 00:29 | Message # 29
I see what your describing all the time with Summer Glau in Australian Actors/Performers they move from home and become exposed to a different accent so they start speaking like the natives of the area yet if they come into contact with their family etc they can start reverting back to their original accent so at times you get a person who is speaking with a varied accent, if your not sure what I mean Kylie Minogue didn't always sound like she lived in England so they can be hard to place where they come from yet still easy to understand I imagine for someone like Summer who does accents for her role it could be further highlighted as she would spend time deliberately speaking with an accent so but I dont know if she can turn it on and off perfectly like flicking a light switch

termi-ninja-torDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 02:19 | Message # 30
Quote (Blazius)
Does that even count as an accent? I mean I don't speak my native with an accent but even my pronunciation and pacing sounds different when I'm nervous and my voice is shaking a bit. Just asking.

Good question. "Accent" is defined as A distinctive mode of pronunciation of a language. Whether you want to call what we are talking about an "accent" depends on whether you would allow the definition of the term "accent" to include the effect that has been identified. It's semantics.

Identifiable differences in pacing and cadence can fall under the definition of accent. The term "Southern drawl" refers in part to pacing and the elongation of certain syllables, and it is commonly accepted as a form of accent.

Suppose I told you that my voice takes on a Brooklyn accent whenever I am nervous. Would that mean that my Brooklyn accent is not an accent? I mean, is the cause of my accent a good reason to say that it is not an accent? I don't know -- you could define it any way you want.

Notably, if nervousness is the cause, then this "accent" need not be present whenever she is acting, since she would be speaking scripted lines.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's Accent?
Search: