[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 1 of 3123»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's Accent?
Summer Glau's Accent?
FordStaffDate: Sunday, 13 Nov 2011, 12:01 | Message # 1
Group: Friends
I want to take a reality check. Every once in a while I feel as if Summer talks with a strange non-existent accent (at least I do not recognize it as anything). I would not have noticed this normally except that at certain points it seems to be stronger momentarily for a sentence or so. The best way I could describe it is that she slurs her words more than normal or something, I do not even know it seems very strange to me. This is something I have noticed in her roles as an actor and in interviews. Is it just me who has noticed this?

It does not bother me, I would just like to know if I am the only one hearing it since I have never seen it discussed.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Sunday, 13 Nov 2011, 12:42

termi-ninja-torDate: Sunday, 13 Nov 2011, 15:52 | Message # 2
Yes, I have noticed this, too.

The words are not pronounced with any identifiable accent, but the pacing of the delivery is slightly unusual, perhaps slower, and sometimes the enunciation is a little soft -- not as precise.

Without really knowing any regional characteristics, I have attributed this to her Texas origins.

I think its cute.

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Sunday, 13 Nov 2011, 15:54

KrelleKDate: Sunday, 13 Nov 2011, 17:01 | Message # 3
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
I think its cute.

So do I

Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
Yes, I have noticed this, too.

The words are not pronounced with any identifiable accent, but the pacing of the delivery is slightly unusual, perhaps slower, and sometimes the enunciation is a little soft -- not as precise.

Without really knowing any regional characteristics, I have attributed this to her Texas origins.

I must admit i have not notticed this atleast not that i know of, but i do not have much knowledge on the subject or the hearing to be able to hear i think.

but if there is something could it not also be because she so shy?

but on other hand she is a Texas girl after all, so it would not be much of stretch to say she speaks with a Texan accent biggrin

BlaziusDate: Sunday, 13 Nov 2011, 22:17 | Message # 4
Quote (FordStaff)
I want to take a reality check. Every once in a while I feel as if Summer talks with a strange non-existent accent (at least I do not recognize it as anything). I would not have noticed this normally except that at certain points it seems to be stronger momentarily for a sentence or so. The best way I could describe it is that she slurs her words more than normal or something, I do not even know it seems very strange to me. This is something I have noticed in her roles as an actor and in interviews. Is it just me who has noticed this?

It does not bother me, I would just like to know if I am the only one hearing it since I have never seen it discussed.

Thank God an English native speaker brings this up finally! It bothered me too for quite awhile. I'm not a native English but if you watch Summer and hear her speaking as much as I do then you'll surely pick this up.

I have no idea what is this but its there definitely.

Thats how I was sure Summer is speaking in the HPP radio message and the guy is not mistaken.

http://summer-glau.com/forum/23-292-1

Message # 6 (from me)

Quote (Blazius)
I've noticed Summer pronounces a few words in a more unique manner, thats where you can catch her and likely thats where the guy likely catched her too.

Otherwise it had to be tough because the sound wasn't in a good quality.

I have no idea how Texans speak so I thought too its from her heritage but if even you can't tell what it is Fordstaff then I have no idea.

It'd be useful if we could identify which words and which letters she pronounces differently but even thats not easy(especially for me).

Maybe the word "human" sounds differently sometimes when she says it. Both in the HPP interviews and in TSCC episodes. I'm not sure though because sometimes it sounds fine too wacko

Suggestions?

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Sunday, 13 Nov 2011, 22:20

FordStaffDate: Sunday, 13 Nov 2011, 22:52 | Message # 5
Suggestions?

Sometimes the accent seems to strengthen for a sentence or so. We should find a video and pinpoint some of these moments when she is talking. With the magnified accent it may be easier to pinpoint its characteristics.

Not as precise is a good way to describe the pronunciation. I have only lived around the Austin area and rarely if ever get over by San Antonio, so I guess it is possible that it is some regional accent. I am not very confidant that is the case though it is not that far away from Austin, maybe a possibility is that the accent is distinct to the way Summer talks for whatever reason (shyness? a stretch perhaps).

I am glad that I was not imagining that there was something not quite typical.

Message edited by FordStaff - Sunday, 13 Nov 2011, 22:53

DevoDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 00:37 | Message # 6
I am from California and she pronounces some things incorrectly just like I do. I use words like "ain't" and sometimes "y'all".

I can kind of hear a bit of Texas drawl but it is more the relaxed, thoughtful pace of her speech than a thick accent. She has a middle-America accent in my opinion. It would be hard to place where she grew up just by hearing her talk.

She seems to be able to change her voice a bit too. I like her cute squeaky shy voice. xD

KrelleKDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 03:02 | Message # 7
Quote (Devo)
She seems to be able to change her voice a bit too. I like her cute squeaky shy voice. xD

So do I, What is there not to LOVE

Could it be a lay off from her time being teached ballet perhaps, I think i at one point heard she had, had russian ballet teachers, is that possible explanation? biggrin

BlaziusDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 03:10 | Message # 8
Quote (KrelleK)
Could it be a lay off from her time being teached ballet perhaps, I think i at one point heard she had, had russian ballet teachers, is that possible explanation?

I read somewhere that she can fake a russian accent very proficiently.

Quote (KrelleK)
So do I, What is there not to LOVE

Her voice is the cutest, hottest, most awesome voice I've ever heard actually.

I wonder how well she can sing...

FordStaffDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 03:20 | Message # 9

I read somewhere that she can fake a russian accent very proficiently.

One of her lesser known talents is the replication of accents as demonstrated when River imitates Badger's accent. I do not know how many accents she has on her repertoire, but I think it is a fairly decent amount.

Message edited by FordStaff - Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 03:20

BlaziusDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 03:20 | Message # 10
Quote (FordStaff)
Sometimes the accent seems to strengthen for a sentence or so. We should find a video and pinpoint some of these moments when she is talking. With the magnified accent it may be easier to pinpoint its characteristics.

The interesting is that she speaks otherwise very clearly, I have no problem understanding her while I have trouble with some people( like Jubal Early)

Strange that it comes and goes through is that even possible with an accent?

I can't help that much in this question I afraid, my knowledge of English is not in the required level I think I can only verify that something is there.

I don't know in which video its more apparent. What about the recent interviews? What do you hear in them?

FordStaffDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 03:23 | Message # 11
I don't know in which video its more apparent. What about the recent interviews? What do you hear in them?

I looked through them to see if it happens in the recently posted videos, but it did not. Watching Mammoth yesterday there was one time where it happened (which is why I started this thread). I will search through some videos tomorrow and find one of these moments to demonstrate what I am talking about (or prove I have an active imagination).

BlaziusDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 03:35 | Message # 12
Quote (FordStaff)
I looked through them to see if it happens in the recently posted videos, but it did not. Watching Mammoth yesterday there was one time where it happened (which is why I started this thread). I will search through some videos tomorrow and find one of these moments to demonstrate what I am talking about (or prove I have an active imagination).

I hope you find something, I'm curious what's with her accent.

And perhaps there are clues in Firefly and in TSCC too.

FordStaffDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 03:53 | Message # 13
I hope you find something, I'm curious what's with her accent.

And perhaps there are clues in Firefly and in TSCC too.

I am not doing anything right now, so screw it I will start searching. I definitely remember some instances in Firefly, that is if I am not imagining this.

How do you get the videos in the the posts?

Message edited by FordStaff - Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 03:54

BlaziusDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 04:01 | Message # 14
Quote (FordStaff)
How do you get the videos in the the posts?

If its Youtube then you copy the code which appear after you press the Share->Embed buttons and paste it into the box.

If its your own video then you have to post it on youtube( or any other site which supports uploading videos) I think and then you can post it as all other Youtube videos.

You could also upload a short scene by the choose file option but we have only limited space so its not recommended.

You can use the test thread to practice or if you mess it up ou can delete or edit your post. Also the "+" above the writing box reveals all usable codes.

Message edited by Blazius - Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 04:08

FordStaffDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 04:31 | Message # 15
Searching through some videos, has now only served to further confuse the matter. I have not yet found an instance of her accent thickening as I had hoped, but I have found conflicting strength of accents between two separate interviews. I will be doing some more searching but for now compare these---

To me she seems to have a stronger accent in the first video than the second, does everybody else agree with this?

Also just to show a different accent, listen to her role on Chuck. Video Link It hardly counts since she is playing a character, but she lacks the accent even more so than in the second interview. Greta almost does not even sound like Summer because of it.

I will continue listening to find the elusive phenomena I am convinced exists (a sudden thickening of the accent), and hopefully can make some sense of this.

Message edited by FordStaff - Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 05:32

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's Accent?
Page 1 of 3123»
Search: