menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » How to win an Oscar and other Hollywood patterns.
How to win an Oscar and other Hollywood patterns.
chrisdvanne_Date: Thursday, 22 Mar 2012, 18:18 | Message # 61
Group: Administrators
There is so many actors in Hollywood and so many variables ( the actors themselves have little power on them) to take in consideration that Summer could use a little extra help; Joss Whedon could provide it to her obviously.

Nathan Fillion for example might be a successful tv actor, he landed a role in a blockbuster , the "Percy Jackson" sequel, only recently, God knows why; also i don't get why Summer's career didn't took off after Serenity and even TSCC.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 23 Mar 2012, 00:51

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 22 Mar 2012, 18:39 | Message # 62
Group: Friends
Another thing I don't understand is why is that her roles in mainstream genres like CSI, The Unit, Cold Case were completely erased from the minds of producers? Do people think that she could handle those roles when she was young but she can't anymore after years of extra experience?

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 23 Mar 2012, 13:13 | Message # 63
I guess her two strong roles in Firefly and TSCC have completely overwhelmed her other performances; in this regard, i think this is interesting to differentiate the point of view of her casual fans, her hard core fans (like the SG Wki members) and the producers's.

It's clear that the general audience remember Summer only for her fight scenes in Firefly/Serenity and in TSCC; but since they're more numerous, it's possible that producers, who want to attract as much viewers as possible, have a tendancy to typecast her and thus forget her performances in non genre shows.

Josh Friedman paid the price for not following the main stream and trying to offer in TSCC a family drama and not a terminator tv show.

Of course i can only guess what producers think but i know exactly how Summer is perceived among the general audience by monitoring what is said about her on twitter; for example, lots of people were expecting to see nurse Emily kick the doctors ass River Tam's style (of course this is said in jest but it reflects what they think).

This is very difficult to fight those massive trends. Obviously, Summer is trying to do it and i think the Summer Glau Wiki should support her.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 23 Mar 2012, 13:15

XxDeathStarxXDate: Friday, 23 Mar 2012, 19:33 | Message # 64
"It's clear that the general audience remember Summer only for her fight scenes in Firefly/Serenity and in TSCC; but since they're more numerous, it's possible that producers, who want to attract as much viewers as possible, have a tendancy to typecast her and thus forget her performances in non genre shows."

Well, I must say that her performances as Cameron and River are much better than her performances in non genre shows, and it's not just the action part. But, if we only compare non genre shows, her performances are better than any other actresses'. It's just that the characters in non genre shows are not as good as in sci-fi.

"Josh Friedman paid the price for not following the main stream and trying to offer in TSCC a family drama and not a terminator tv show. "

Well, Josh paid the price for not giving enough screen time to Cameron (Summer) and instead concentrating on John's mother. I mean who is exactly interested in the hero's mother? The terminator (Arnold) was the lead in the original movies, and that's what should've been the case in the show too.

"Of course i can only guess what producers think but i know exactly how Summer is perceived among the general audience by monitoring what is said about her on twitter; for example, lots of people were expecting to see nurse Emily kick the doctors ass River Tam's style (of course this is said in jest but it reflects what they think)."

Summer's performance was great in Grey's Anatomy - I absolutely love how well she emotes - but I understand that many fans wanted her to kick some ass too very well. There's just no one better to do that, and it would've made the performance even better! Girl power rules!

"This is very difficult to fight those massive trends. Obviously, Summer is trying to do it and i think the Summer Glau Wiki should support her."

Obviously Summer is not doing that, like I've said in an other thread. She's just trying to pick the best parts available to her, and I fully support her.

Summer Glau is divine!

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 24 Mar 2012, 01:21 | Message # 65
Quote (XxDeathStarxX)
Well, I must say that her performances as Cameron and River are much better than her performances in non genre shows, and it's not just the action part. But, if we only compare non genre shows, her performances are better than any other actresses'. It's just that the characters in non genre shows are not as good as in sci-fi.

Summer herself gives the same quality of work in whatever she plays in, this GA episode shows it clearly IMO as does DHM. The only difference might be that sci-fi shows generally has better material to play. Summer can be perfect, if she gets crappy material she cannot improve that beyond a certain point since thats impossible with the given material. Thats true. But I don't think thats the problem here. A bunch of other shows gave Summer enough material to show her extraordinary abilities( Dollhouse, DHM, even the scene in GA) and give the same outstanding performance as she gave in Firefly and TSCC.

That said the only unique connection between Cam and River is that they are "kicking asses". But if fans only concern is Summers fighting and not her acting then most of us kinda misses the point IMO.

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 13 Apr 2012, 13:23 | Message # 66
Philadelphia Daily News Staff Writer Gary Thompson says about Fran Kranz (Dollhouse, The Cabin in the Woods) what we would like to see written about Summer Glau since we began to talk in this forum.

‘The Cabin in the Woods’ may be a career-maker for Fran Kranz

Kranz has the role of his young life in producer/writer Joss Whedon’s horror/comedy “The Cabin In the Woods,” a possible career game-changer that he’s been sitting on for three years as the movie wound its tortured way through a movie-studio bankruptcy.

Read full article at Philadelphia Daily News.

Bonus :

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 13 Apr 2012, 13:43

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 19 May 2012, 00:57 | Message # 67
As you may know, Nick Stahl, best known for playing John Connor in Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, has been missing since May 9. A crappy columnist at crappy website The Daily Beast has taken that tragical event as an excuse to write an article titled : The John Connor Curse: Nick Stahl, Edward Furlong and Christian Bale.

In the article, the author lists the various misadventures of the aforementioned actors, as well as Thomas Dekker, with drugs, alcohol or punching paparazzi and pretends there's a John Connor curse.

As if we didn't know that every young actor, carried away by success, fall into drugs and alcohol; also can you quote an actor who has not punched a paparazzi once in his life. Don't misunderstand me, i don't approve these behaviours, i just say this is a very common path for successful actor in Hollywood.

I personnally find it discusting that people can take that as an excuse to write such BS online; apparently i'm not the only one to think that since every comment on the article underline the fallatious arguments used by the author; noone is saying the events reported by the author didn't occured, but using them to build a curse theory is dishonest.

Link : The Daily Beast

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Saturday, 19 May 2012, 01:06

chrisdvanne_Date: Sunday, 20 May 2012, 16:51 | Message # 68
Here's a non exaustive list of blogs that have shamelessly exploited the so-called "John connor Curse" :

The Daily Beast
Alaska Dispatch
AZCentral

Funny thing is that all commenters agree to say that the bloggers lack of judgment and inspiration (another way of saying trolling?):p

UPDATE : Nick Stahl is back!
LOS ANGELES — Nick Stahl, the actor who played John Connor in “Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines” and has been missing for more than a week, has made contact with friends to say he’s alive, his wife said.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Sunday, 20 May 2012, 16:57

meanoldmoeDate: Sunday, 20 May 2012, 17:00 | Message # 69
As long as he is doing ok...maybe he just wanted no contact with his wife...esp if they are separating and a child is involved

Hmmm.... Yeah...Thinking makes my brain hurt ;)

BlaziusDate: Monday, 21 May 2012, 17:38 | Message # 70
Quote (chrisdvanne)
As you may know, Nick Stahl, best known for playing John Connor in Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, has been missing since May 9. A crappy columnist at crappy website The Daily Beast has taken that tragical event as an excuse to write an article titled : The John Connor Curse: Nick Stahl, Edward Furlong and Christian Bale.

In the article, the author lists the various misadventures of the aforementioned actors, as well as Thomas Dekker, with drugs, alcohol or punching paparazzi and pretends there's a John Connor curse.

As if we didn't know that every young actor, carried away by success, fall into drugs and alcohol; also can you quote an actor who has not punched a paparazzi once in his life. Don't misunderstand me, i don't approve these behaviours, i just say this is a very common path for successful actor in Hollywood.

I personnally find it discusting that people can take that as an excuse to write such BS online; apparently i'm not the only one to think that since every comment on the article underline the fallatious arguments used by the author; noone is saying the events reported by the author didn't occured, but using them to build a curse theory is dishonest.

Link : The Daily Beast

Yeah, another idiotic curse theory, journalist really don't have anything better to do, right?

Though the case its describing with the actor is a prime example why I absolutely don't care for most actors and actresses.

Its always about scandals, drugs, alcohol etc. These aren't people who you can respect who you can be a fan of.

But Summer doesn't have this. She always has a respectable, lovable public image. With her I feel that she is a person worth following and supporting. She is truly admirable.

Of course, every person has a bad side, I always mention this, we can't be blind and naive thinking that Summer is perfect in every way possible. But her public image isn't spoiled with it, she is careful to show people a good example. Thats why I find her the best. And even if Summer weren't an actor genius, outmatching her big mouthed peers, I'd still admire her more because skill is one thing but I can only respect a person with a truly respectable personality.

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 04 Jun 2012, 12:06 | Message # 71
I find it amazing that many tv shows/movie franchise follow the same pattern; they work very hard in the first season/movie to build a team and establish the relationship between the characters...only to destroy that dynamic in the next opus.
As a huge fan of Summer Glau, i noticed that in Terminator : The Sarah Connor Chronicles inwhich the "Connors family" was teared appart in the second season.

And now it's happening in Alphas second season (i won't say more in order not to be too spoilerish)

If i can understand that it's good drama, i think it can be very confusing for the audience, who just started to appreciate the characters and their relationship.

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 14 Sep 2012, 15:41 | Message # 72
I remember i visited a funny site a few months ago (forgot the name) inwhich you enter the name of two actors and the software tells you the connection between the two of them by finding actors they've played with (i hope i'm clear); most of the time, even if they have not played togheter, the number of links that connect them is inferior to three.

Let me take an example! Jordana Brewester recently tweeted this picture of her and two other actresses at the Spring 2013 Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week at The Studio at Lincoln Center on September 11, 2012 in New York City.

RiverTam Pistol Prop used in Serenity

The three actresses on the photo are, from left to right, Jordana brewster, Jenna Dewan and Madisen Beaty; i don't know which connections would have been found at the site but i know one actress that connect these three with one or two links...and this actress is Summer Glau of course.

Now let me explain : Jordana Brewster played Chuck's love interest and Summer also played in Chuck, while Jenna Dewan played with Summer in 'The Legend of Hell's Gate'. That makes one link (Summer Glau).

Madisen Beaty plays in 'The Master', co starring Joaquin Phoenix, who also played in '300'; or Lena Headey played Quenn Gorgo in the movie, which links Summer Glau to Madisen with two links (Phoenix + Headey).
All in all, all these actresses are linked very closely through other co-stars.

EDIT :

who also played in '300'

Oooops, i meant Joaquin Phoenix played in Gladiator (2000); sorry for the mistake, but the important thing is that you understand how it works.

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 27 Aug 2013, 20:52 | Message # 73
It looks like former Disney star Miley Cyrus is also supporting Project Teddy Bear...or did I miss something?

And if you have no idea what I mean, you can do like Arrow's Stephen Amell:

Or you can read more at (warning, contains offensive content): The 15 Weirdest And Craziest Moments From Miley Cyrus’ VMA Performance

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 06 Jan 2014, 22:15 | Message # 74
When specialized websites titled "Firefly's Summer Glau wants 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' role" back in 2012, Summer's REAL words were:

"I have my fingers crossed behind my back," she told IGN.

"I try not to say anything to Joss about anything he's doing because he has so many actors, and I know we all want to work for him. So I don't know, but if I could be a part of it in any way, of course, you know I want to."

But when Stephen Amell wants to be part of the Batman/Superman franchise or when Battlestar Galactica's Katee Sackhoff wants to be Wonder Woman or play in the Star Wars franchise (or any role in a blockbuster really), it gives this:

"I think I might give away my firstborn to have an opportunity to play Harley Quinn."

"I'd love to play Wonder Woman. I remember auditioning for the Wonder Woman television show and being told that I wasn't the Wonder Woman type, but if I wanted to play the best friend, I could audition for that. And I remember thinking to myself, 'You obviously haven't seen my work!"

"Star Wars meant everything to me growing up. Star Wars was, I mean, it was the first time I remember seeing three movies that all kind of went together. It was just an amazing final understanding of what a trilogy was...I was absolutely obsessed, I mean I wanted to be... The sad thing is, I never wanted to be Princess Leia, I always wanted to be Han Solo! [laughs] I've never really been drawn to these female roles, but I think that The Clone Wars was so much fun for me to play, I mean a warrior....If J.J. would listen, I would play a rock in the Star Wars movies. I think that they're fantastic, I think that he's a great choice, and I'm excited to see what happens in that world."

Source: TotalFilm

In all honesty, I'm not sure Stephen or Katee are wrong.

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 13 Jan 2014, 10:25 | Message # 75
Azita Ghanizada posted this on Instagram. This is what the life of a B-list actress looks like (any similarity with Summer Glau's own path is purely coincidental).

A sweet goodbye to 2013. A year of ups & downs. My TVshow got cancelled, I tested or was pinned on 15+ shows (that I didn't get), a lot of loss, but way more growth. I learned how to be a better friend learned how to love bigger! Patience was key & I forced myself to break through plateaus. Pushing to get closer to being the best version of me. The best part, 80% of my girlfriends are new moms & they've shown me what really matters in life. 2013 thank you for the lessons! Excited for the new chapter in 2014. Now for champagne! Happy New Year

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » How to win an Oscar and other Hollywood patterns.
Search: