menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » How to win an Oscar and other Hollywood patterns.
How to win an Oscar and other Hollywood patterns.
chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 08:06 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators
I know Summer Glau doesn't play in the Awards's potential winners category (yet) but we'll pretend she does for this post.

Last year nominess for an Oscar as "Actress in a Leading Role" were :

* Annette Bening in “The Kids Are All Right”
* Nicole Kidman in “Rabbit Hole”
* Jennifer Lawrence in “Winter's Bone”
* Natalie Portman in “Black Swan”
* Michelle Williams in “Blue Valentine”

Let's remind that Nathalie Portman won the Oscar for her role in "Black Swan".

The point of this thread is to underline that performing oral sex on screen seemed to be the key to winning an Academy Award (Oscar) last year.

A columnist noticed that : "at least three of the six actresses nominated by the Broadcast Film Critics Association (BFCA) for Best Actress received on-screen oral pleasuring in their respective films -- Annette Bening in "The Kids Are All Right", Natalie Portman in "Black Swan" and Michelle Williams in "Blue Valentine." "
Source : BFCA: Swan Tops; Speech, Bening Saved at Hollywood elsewhere

And we know from past years than BFCA tends to overlap with Academy Oscar's voters, more than almost any other critics awards committee.

Knowing that Summet Glau declined a job offer for a lesbian kiss in the past, i highly doubt she would have accepted the role in "Black Swan" after reading the script. Indeed, i have watched the lesbian scene between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis and let's say that it's "intense".

On a side note, playing an autistic guy was the key to the Oscars a few years ago.

Side note 2 : this is what you have to do on critics awards of any kind these days.
"Critics' Choice Movie Awards host Bradley Cooper looks on as Meryl Streep and Sandra Bullock lock lips on stage (January, 2010)"

Edit : i changed the title of the thread because it did not reflect what i meant (my bad) and induced misunderstanding; this does not take anything away from the great debate we have on this thread.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Thursday, 14 Jul 2011, 08:21

DevoDate: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 08:43 | Message # 2
Group: Friends
We do not know exactly why Summer declined that role. She may have had any number of reasons to turn it down. And to my knowledge it has not been released yet, so good call.

It could have even been overblown by the film makers to garner a bit of publicity.

I think in most instances like this, Aronofsky probably wanted Portman from the beginning and I doubt the part was shopped around to very many people, if anyone.

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 09:32 | Message # 3
Quote (Devo)
We do not know exactly why Summer declined that role. She may have had any number of reasons to turn it down.

What i'm trying to say is that Summer does not have the same behaviour as many actresses or actors have.

About Summer, she 's supposed to have said to Joss Whedon after the "opening box" scene on Firefly.“You'll see God before you see me naked again.”
But if i recall correctly she was naked on TSCC's pilot.She said about that scene in Albuquerque's winter : “I'd never been so cold in my life.”

I wanted also to point some patterns on critics committe.

termi-ninja-torDate: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 16:08 | Message # 4
Quote (michelangelo)
About Summer, she 's supposed to have said to Joss Whedon after the "opening box" scene on Firefly.“You'll see God before you see me naked again.”
But if i recall correctly she was naked on TSCC's pilot.She said about that scene in Albuquerque's winter : “I'd never been so cold in my life.”

Yes, it is also my understanding that Summer was naked for the Firefly scene. But I expect she and Tom and Lena must have had some skin-colored body covering in the TSCC pilot. (Still quite cold, no doubt.)

BlaziusDate: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 17:19 | Message # 5
This discussion redirects a bit with the earlier ones where we talked about the difference between the typical Hollywood whores(I think we invented a new phrase) and true artists like Summer Glau. For some reason the mainstream media as a whole intentionally pummels everybody under an unbelievable amount of sexual content. Basically you can't find any "high-profile" film or series without intense sex scenes and half-naked or naked people running around. The main source of the sexual content is the female lead who has a "bitchy" attitude and likes to wear revealing clothes. Therefore it doesn't matter how good the female actress plays her role as long as she is sexy and is willing to do everything what is asked of her.

On the other hand there is Summer Glau who has extraordinary acting skills and looks at the profession as an art. In this regard she has a more "masculine" idea of acting and finds these kind of "bitchy" roles to be beneath her. And I totally agree with her. Every woman should have a certain amount of dignity and should refuse to play such roles. And forcing such a talent to play such worthless roles would be the same as blowing up the Eiffel Tower or the Colosseum or similar, it would be an unacceptable waste of something very valuable. So it may be that Summer will be less popular but I'm really glad that she so actively defends her own honor She surely deserves the so many angel arts about her.

And some self proclaimed male fans may think that "It sucks that I can't see Summer naked, she is so sexy, I would like to **** her!"(I've seen such comments) This is just idiotic and I don't consider these kind of people real fans. I'm a male too and I find Summer beautiful too but I'd never like her to be naked or bitchy especially if she doesn't like the idea.

If the Osar prize has so idiotic requirements then she doesn't need it IMO.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

DevoDate: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 17:20 | Message # 6
I don't think she was 100% nude for any of those scenes. I am fairly certain she wore privacy tape and a body stocking.
Pic related, you can see part of her undies have been shopped out in this frame.
Sorry guys... tongue

Message edited by Devo - Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 17:20

DevoDate: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 17:33 | Message # 7
Quote (Blazius)
This discussion redirects a bit with the earlier ones where we talked about the difference between the typical Hollywood whores(I think we invented a new phrase) and true artists like Summer Glau. For some reason the mainstream media as a whole intentionally pummels everybody under an unbelievable amount of sexual content. Basically you can't find any "high-profile" film or series without intense sex scenes and half-naked or naked people running around. The main source of the sexual content is the female lead who has a "bitchy" attitude and likes to wear revealing clothes. Therefore it doesn't matter how good the female actress plays her role as long as she is sexy and is willing to do everything what is asked of her. On the other hand there is Summer Glau who has extraordinary acting skills and looks at the profession as an art. In this regard she has a more "masculine" idea of acting and finds these kind of "bitchy" roles to be beneath her. And I totally agree with her. Every woman should have a certain amount of dignity and should refuse to play such roles. And forcing such a talent to play such worthless roles would be the same as blowing up the Eiffel Tower or the Colosseum or similar, it would be an unacceptable waste of something very valuable. So it may be that Summer will be less popular but I'm really glad that she so actively defends her own honor She surely deserves the so many angel arts about her. And some self proclaimed male fans may think that "It sucks that I can't see Summer naked, she is so sexy, I would like to **** her!"(I've seen such comments) This is just idiotic and I don't consider these kind of people real fans. I'm a male too and I find Summer beautiful too but I'd never like her to be naked or bitchy especially if she doesn't like the idea. If the Osar prize has so idiotic requirements then she doesn't need it IMO.

I get what you are saying but I find it a bit crass to dub them 'whores'. I am not so sure Summer would be flattered by your opinion if it contained a misogynistic put-down like that in it. In a band you'd call a woman like that a 'hood ornament', when she's not a very good singer and is there mainly for looks. Kinda like Miley or Momsen... can't sing and totally talent devoid, but legions of tweenagers and creepy old men to make them rich and famous.

I won't mind if Summer does a nude scene in the future, as long as it is for a good role and it isn't just a gratuitous and cheap sex scene for the sake of nudity alone. I am more European in my views on nudity.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 17:53 | Message # 8
Quote (Devo)
I won't mind if Summer does a nude scene in the future, as long as it is for a good role and it isn't just a gratuitous and cheap sex scene for the sake of nudity alone.

Summer already did nudity or sex scenes. For example in Born to run Cameron removed her bra and made a "sex scene" with John and there is also the River nudity scene not even mention Lindsay from Deadly Honeymoon. However in these cases the scenes served a purpose story-wise, I have no problem with this.

In my all time favorite scifi Star Trek DS9 there is an episode where one of the female characters made a lesbian kiss with another woman but I totally accepted it because it made sense story-wise, and I even praised it because they had the courage to explore the idea(I don't want to explain why it made sense,just watch it and you will know). However in most other recent movies and series the actresses are nude ONLY for the sake to become eye-candies. Their characters don't have personality other than being love interest for the male character. On the other hand half of Summers roles are roles where she doesn't even supposed to be beautiful. This means that she can do well without her beauty but she can also utilize it if needed. I don't say that only Summer is the only "non-whore" but they are becoming a minority nowadays IMO.

Message edited by Blazius - Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 17:53

GraniteDate: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 18:22 | Message # 9
Life is full of evils of our time - especially. And yet not objectively say about Summer as a "last righteous woman." There are plenty of actresses - varying degrees of fame - famous for roles inspired, exalted women. Simply, there are separate actors, and they each have separate roles. Many of these roles is partially corrupt, but not completely and not all.

Unfortunately, people are not strong enough, that would avoid all the temptations and not enough wise, that would always tell good from evil. That's life, but do not "hate the sinner", instead of the sin .

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 18:30 | Message # 10
Quote (Devo)
I won't mind if Summer does a nude scene in the future, as long as it is for a good role and it isn't just a gratuitous and cheap sex scene for the sake of nudity alone. I am more European in my views on nudity.

My post was not so much about Summer but more about patterns in Hollywwod; i tried to link it clumsily to Summer not to sound too off-topic.
I said it clearly in my first post :
The point of this thread is to underline that performing oral sex on screen seemed to be the key to winning an Academy Award (Oscar) last year.

I have nothing against nudity or sex scenes in general but i think that some directors uses this to create a reaction among the public and the critics and this paves the way to Oscars. Just like Dustin Hoffman playing an autistic in Rain Man opened the way to a bunch of similar performances. A few years later, French directors did the same wich leads to Cesars (the french equivalent for Oscars).

I'm a fan of the Golden Ages of Hollywodd and not seeing Ava Garner nude or on a bed scene has never been a problem. It's just that directors had to find more subtil approach to suggest erotiscm than a graphic sex scene.

Message edited by michelangelo - Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 18:31

DevoDate: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 20:09 | Message # 11
Quote (michelangelo)
Quote (Devo)I won't mind if Summer does a nude scene in the future, as long as it is for a good role and it isn't just a gratuitous and cheap sex scene for the sake of nudity alone. I am more European in my views on nudity. My post was not so much about Summer but more about patterns in Hollywwod; i tried to link it clumsily to Summer not to sound too off-topic. I said it clearly in my first post : QuoteThe point of this thread is to underline that performing oral sex on screen seemed to be the key to winning an Academy Award (Oscar) last year. I have nothing against nudity or sex scenes in general but i think that some directors uses this to create a reaction among the public and the critics and this paves the way to Oscars. Just like Dustin Hoffman playing an autistic in Rain Man opened the way to a bunch of similar performances. A few years later, French directors did the same wich leads to Cesars (the french equivalent for Oscars). I'm a fan of the Golden Ages of Hollywodd and not seeing Ava Garner nude or on a bed scene has never been a problem. It's just that directors had to find more subtil approach to suggest erotiscm than a graphic sex scene.

This is what I see with Game of Thrones. Tons of sex and nudity that does not serve the story by being there. And I am a fan of True Blood, but they even toned it down after the pilot and first couple episodes after using it to snag viewers. So far Sookie hasn't been naked this season at all, for example.
.................................................................................................................

People also need to keep the actors and their roles separate. If Summer is to grow as an actor she may take roles that are the exact opposite of her personally. Druggy, thief, murderer, crook, blackmailer... whatever. These are just parts, and playing a character of questionable morals has nothing to do with an actor personally. I would hate to see her stick to bubble gum network schlock like The Cape just because she gets to be heroic.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 20:26 | Message # 12
As I said I don't have anything against nudity either, if they can find a proper place for it in the show and it has a meaning. Also the word "whore" might be a bit strong but I don't know how to put it more softly to still be meaningful.

I'm aware that you wanted to explain the pattern, and thats what I try to do also. What is strange is that this pattern seems to repeat itself everywhere. Even I know a bunch of women who think that they are only successful and beautiful if they are bitchy. Some of them are otherwise very clever and nice but even they can't resist the "corruption" to use Granites words . The media and the social trend tends to support this kind of attitude very prominently while tries to crush everything else which opposes it.The Oscar trend is just the apex of the whole phenomeon. Notice, I said women I know! They are not stars, even the most beautiful has barely 10 worshipers , Glau has millions and we don't consider her overly popular. Of course I don't think that Summer is the last righteous women but as I said even normal people can be "corrupted" and the fact that she is a TV star yet even she refuses to accept the trend is almost a wonder.

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 20:45 | Message # 13
I wanted to post a thread in which i would have stated that Summer Glau is imo close to the stars from the Golden Ages of Hollywood by some aspects; minus the inaccessible side of course. But i' glad to see this thread tackles the subject.

As you said, the actress/actors receiving an Oscar play a role model in the society and sometimes this is not the society i dream of.

DevoDate: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 20:47 | Message # 14
Quote (Blazius)
As I said I don't have anything against nudity either, if they can find a proper place for it in the show and it has a meaning. Also the word "whore" might be a bit strong but I don't know how to put it more softly to still be meaningful. I'm aware that you wanted to explain the pattern, and thats what I try to do also. What is strange is that this pattern seems to repeat itself everywhere. Even I know a bunch of women who think that they are only successful and beautiful if they are bitchy. Some of them are otherwise very clever and nice but even they can't resist the "corruption" to use Granites words . The media and the social trend tends to support this kind of attitude very prominently while tries to crush everything else which opposes it.The Oscar trend is just the apex of the whole phenomeon. Notice, I said women I know! They are not stars, even the most beautiful has barely 10 worshipers , Glau has millions and we don't consider her overly popular. Of course I don't think that Summer is the last righteous women but as I said even normal people can be "corrupted" and the fact that she is a TV star yet even she refuses to accept the trend is almost a wonder.

The word 'whore' in English has a very negative vibe. It is used out of place as a put-down and attack on the self esteem of females like the word 'fag'. It's used negatively in about the same frequency, I'd say.

Slightly less offensive and more accurate would be something like 'bimbo'. And would likely be less offensive to any potential feminist posters/lurkers we may have here. Or females and people in general.

Also, thesaurus says
Bimbo slang : man, woman —used as a generalized term of disapproval especially for an attractive but vacuous person 'We didn't want a blond bimbo in that role … we wanted her to be smart — Hugh Wilson

biggrin
Jezebel

Although I am not keen on the biblical ties.
Hussy 1: a lewd or brazen woman 2: a saucy or mischievous girl

This definition made me lol.

Message edited by Devo - Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 20:48

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 20:58 | Message # 15
Again, there is no offense to women, just underline a pattern, caused by directors and studios mostly; the actress comes don't initiate the trend they're the "actors" of the trend.
Just like when i say they use the autistic rope to lure the affection of the viewer; i put these trend on the same level.

Thanks for giving these info because it's true that non english natives don't always use proper words.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » How to win an Oscar and other Hollywood patterns.
Search: