menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau Hover Hand pics
Summer Glau Hover Hand pics
chrisdvanne_ Post # 1 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 12:41
Group: Administrators
If you visit the site from some time you may have seen the "Hover Hand" photos posted on The Summer Appreciation Page thread - http://summer-glau.com/forum/4-3-1908-16-1297528866.

Hover Hand is an awkward gesture consisting of putting your arm around a male or female with your hand still hovering above their arm/shoulders as to avoid skin to skin contact. It is uncomfortable yet quite funny to watch.

Stephanie Hayes, writer for tampabay.com released an article about it. It all started with Hover Hand pictures including Summer Glau and her fans at a convention but apparently the phenomenom was amplified recently.

The meme exploded when a homely fan attending a convention met beautiful science fiction star Summer Glau, hovering so closely he cast finger shadows on her shoulder (link at the bottom).

Hover Hand plagued Glau several times at the same event. Dudes with glasses, guys with fake weapons strapped to their chests and even some women Hovered above Glau, who wore a strapless top (link at the bottom). The pictures spread with the label "HOVER HAND. SO CLOSE, YET, SO FAR." People called Glau a magical virginity detector.

The columinst tells how a bored guy searched for more Hover Hands and created a dedicated site; you can even find celebrity hover-hand on it.

Links you may find interesting :
Hover Hand plagues pretty women and geeky guys everywhere at tampabay.com
The hover hand website
Combo breaker meme on the forum

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_ Post # 2 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 12:44
Don't laugh too much, you or me could have made a hover hand at the photo session if we've met Summer at Starfury T3 :p

Yet i doubt i would have hesitated touching Summer's shoulder. Being French, it's something natural to do this type of thing even with someone you don't know if the circumstances are friendly like in a fan convention (i work on the field of services and i meet a lot of women), though i'm not the Dominique-Strauss-Khan type. On the other hand, english people are not the touchy feely type if i'm correct but i'm not sure about people from USA.

More, as you can see on the "Still frame from the meme" link i provided above, a lot of people, men or women, did not hesitate either.

Message edited by michelangelo - Friday, 17 Jun 2011, 12:51

Blazius Post # 3 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 14:42
Group: Friends
I don't know whats the problem with touching somebodys shoulder even if its naked. Do they think that direct skin to skin contact is too "sexual" or intimate or what? I agree that its totally agreeable to touch somebodys bare shoulder if there is a friendly relationship between them, like an actor/actress-fan relationship especially during a photo session. But I guess you are right about different cultures have different customs regarding this issue.

Quote (michelangelo)
Don't laugh too much, you or me could have made a hover hand at the photo session if we've met Summer at Starfury T3

I'm still heartbroken because I can't meet Summer there sad

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

termi-ninja-tor Post # 4 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 15:25
I dunno. For me, it seems a bit of a strange situation.

Like if I go up to a woman who doesn't know me and wrap my arm around her and put my hand on her bare shoulder, I should expect that she will knock my hand off and slap me in the face as a rebuke for behaving inappropriately familiar with her. Of course, I know it is a different situation, but I still have the feeling.

I feel very cautious about touching the shoulder. Maybe I would describe my feeling as having too much respect for the woman to presume so much familiarity when she is not in fact familiar with me at all. This, even though it is just posing for a pic.

When I see all those pics of hover hands over Summer's shoulder, my reaction is that all these fans have a lot of respect for her and do not want to take advantage of the picture posing situation to put their hand on her shoulder which would otherwise be an inappropriately familiar gesture.

For me, it would be a lot easier if her shoulder were covered rather than bare. lol

chrisdvanne_ Post # 5 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 15:37
I understand your point of view; when i talked about the Hover Hand on this wiki a few months ago, i said something like "Maybe it's because they're polite?".

But as i said on post#2, look at the still pictures of the photo session and you will see that a large majority put her hand on Summer's shoulder and she does not slap them. It's part of the game.
See by yourself

chrisdvanne_ Post # 6 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 15:48
It seems that younger boys are more shy with Summer which is perfectly understandable. The article says "People called Glau a magical virginity detector." I wouldn't have said it that way but it's the basic idea, politeness and respect as you stated in your comment beeing another reason.

You'll notice i don't judge or make fun, i'm just relaying a funny news.
This is also why i did not post a photo of Hover Hand to illustrate the article, only links.

Granite Post # 7 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 15:55
@ termi-ninja-tor - totally agree

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

Devo Post # 8 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 16:09
Ah yes, the hoverhand meme.

It is actually much older than last year's Dragon Con photos. Anonymous started the meme about 3 or 4 years ago, and the threads would have several actors including Summer, it's just that Summer being so popular and having so many convention photos has made her pics a goldmine for the hoverhand.

Along with the hoverhand pics there will be pics of people who have broken through the force field, usually with a comment like 'Alpha as f!@#!'. Referring to the bold fan as one of the fearless alpha males.

Dragon Con, Atlanta - September 3-10 2010

The threads are usually lighthearted and some of the most hilarious I have ever read.

One thing to consider is some of the hoverhands may have been captured on film mid-embrace and be the result of the timing of the photographer.

:D

chrisdvanne_ Post # 9 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 16:14
Thank you Devo, for capturing and giving us back the most important thing about this thread : it's made for fun!!!

And good choice of photo to illustrate this; there is no sexual tension on this photo, just two cute and innocent looking young people.

Blazius Post # 10 | Saturday, 18 Jun 2011 - 01:24
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
I dunno. For me, it seems a bit of a strange situation.

Like if I go up to a woman who doesn't know me and wrap my arm around her and put my hand on her bare shoulder, I should expect that she will knock my hand off and slap me in the face as a rebuke for behaving inappropriately familiar with her. Of course, I know it is a different situation, but I still have the feeling.

I feel very cautious about touching the shoulder. Maybe I would describe my feeling as having too much respect for the woman to presume so much familiarity when she is not in fact familiar with me at all. This, even though it is just posing for a pic.

When I see all those pics of hover hands over Summer's shoulder, my reaction is that all these fans have a lot of respect for her and do not want to take advantage of the picture posing situation to put their hand on her shoulder which would otherwise be an inappropriately familiar gesture.

For me, it would be a lot easier if her shoulder were covered rather than bare. lol

But you wouldn't posing with an unknown woman for a photo, do you? The fact that two people are posing for the same photo would normally indicate that the two people are close to each other. However the star-fan relationship is obviously not a close relationship but the star still allows
the photo to be taken to achieve greater popularity for example. Because its not a normal situation it overrides the normal customs, therefore both the star and the fan should know that the physical contact is not an attempt to make their relationship more intimate but they are just posing for a picture where they should appear friendly to each other. If the contact bothers the star then she could still wear cloth on her shoulder but in the case of Summer I think she didn't even think this would be a problem. I think those who hesitated to touch Summers shoulder are the ones who are making an issue out of it.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 11 | Saturday, 18 Jun 2011 - 06:45
The 2011 Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo has started. Let the Hover Hand photos flow!

termi-ninja-tor Post # 12 | Saturday, 18 Jun 2011 - 07:16
Quote (Blazius)
If the contact bothers the star then she could still wear cloth on her shoulder but in the case of Summer I think she didn't even think this would be a problem. I think those who hesitated to touch Summers shoulder are the ones who are making an issue out of it.

I agree with this completely. It is in the minds of the fans.

As I described, my own feeling would be that I would be taking advantage of her if I put my hand on her shoulder. Of course I understand the publicity aspect of the situation -- that is what puts fans in such a position to have a hand on her shoulder. To me, it just wouldn't feel right to do it. Personally, I would rather just stand next to her or at most put my hand on some part of her side or back that is covered.

Charley_Dixon Post # 13 | Sunday, 19 Jun 2011 - 04:27
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
Maybe I would describe my feeling as having too much respect

I concur this. If you respect someone you respect their personal space too. I do not understand what's wrong with that "hover hand" and why some people pay so much attention to it that they even created a web site.

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

Devo Post # 14 | Tuesday, 21 Jun 2011 - 00:53
via Reddit

lol

chrisdvanne_ Post # 15 | Tuesday, 21 Jun 2011 - 01:02
Hilarious!

I expected Hover Hands from the attendees part.
if you look at all the other pictures, Summer herself hold fermly the persons by the shoulder. I suspect this dude to be a little akward so that even Summer was embarrassed.

Edit : it happens that the attendee, named Jesse, asked himself Summer to play this scene, thinking it would be funny.
http://summer-glau.com/forum/23-193-5046-16-1308644229

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 21 Jun 2011, 11:28

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau Hover Hand pics
Search: