MCM Belfast Comic Con
June 24-25, 2017

MCM Ireland Comic Con
July 1-2, 2017

Photos of celebrities from the Glau-verse & beyond
By KevinInEngland

The Happy Birthday thread
By KevinInEngland

The OFFICIAL Summer Glau Appreciation Page!
By KevinInEngland

Summer Glau at Rhode Island Comic Con 2016
By chrisdvanne

Ron Glass, 'Shepherd Book' in Firefly, dies at 71
By chrisdvanne

Misc. News on Pilots and Series
By chrisdvanne

Interesting about the franchise and other TSCC things
By chrisdvanne

The Secret History of The Beast Wizard in TSCC via io9
By KevinInEngland

Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits
By KevinInEngland

Lost Wiki header for The Cape Wiki
By chrisdvanne

New comments

Admirator on: Fan-made video reminds us why we love Summer

Александр XF on: GQ Photo shoot update

Admirator on: New candid picture of Summer

chrisdvanne on: New candid picture of Summer

Admirator on: New candid picture of Summer

chrisdvanne on: New candid picture of Summer

chrisdvanne on: GQ Photo shoot update

ec039 on: GQ Photo shoot update

New videos

00:05:42

00:01:20

New Forum Posts Members Forum Rules Search

Page 4 of 5«12345»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau on Hawaii Five-0
Summer Glau on Hawaii Five-0
Date: Tuesday, 2013 Feb 12, 15:04 GMT | Message # 46

Site Admin

HonoluluPulse.com, an online entertainment site, made a very informative article on tonights episode and the Hawaiian traditions depicted in the serie.

This week’s episode, “Ke Koa” (two words, not one), translates as “The Warrior” and was about the death of a lua master, or ‘ōlohe, Thomas Hoapili, and the secret fight club that he was forced to participate in before he was murdered.
I always appreciate “Hawaii Five-0” for taking risks to accurately portray our Hawaiian culture and customs, and it’s always very interesting how the show takes something that is very traditional and sacred to our people, and wraps it around a modern storyline.

[...]

Teng is known for directing great action sequences, and his expertise really came into play in the fight club scenes. The MMA fight with the lua-trained Maggie was hard-hitting and brutal. While I’m not sure what Maggie was doing could actually be called “lua” per se, she sure looked like she could fight.
When she won — with a broken arm no less — I thought, “Well, she is a Terminator, right?” Sorry, wrong show. (Glau is well-known for playing the re-programmed terminator Cameron in the television show “Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles.”)

Read full article at Pulse

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Date: Tuesday, 2013 Feb 12, 16:45 GMT | Message # 47

Site Admin

The full episode is available at CBS website (only for US viewers though).

The scene where Kono (Grace Park) arrested the female MMA fighter ended up on the cutting-room floor apparently:

Date: Tuesday, 2013 Feb 12, 19:58 GMT | Message # 48

Bloggers

Summer’s performance in the episode of H50 was up to her usual high standards. It was a powerful and convincing portrayal of a proud woman who loved her father and who had great commitment to the beliefs and traditions that she and her father shared. Her reaction to the murder of her father was convincing and in the short time she had, she was able to take all of us on her journey of discovery. In this journey, we see her find out the truth as to why her father was killed and who betrayed him, and her.

Summer as Maggie is able in a very short time to sort out the confusion around her father’s death. Maggie is complex, stable, and has strong values and this character is a good example of where Summer wants to go in her career. She plays an important member of her community both through her involvement with her father and through her own efforts. She is not lost, she is not emotionally unbalanced, but she is a fighter both physically and mentally. Her character is someone from everyday life who faces a tragic event and who must work through the tragedy to try to understand what happened and to begin the process of healing. In other words, her character is just like the rest of us (except for the kickass fighting style).

She struggles mightily to understand why anyone would kill her father who we learn was a successful business man, a pillar of his community offering to help the downtrodden (for example, Maggie’s uncle), and a spiritual leader to a small, dedicated band of followers, with one exception.

That exception is a traitor who seeks to destroy Maggie and her father in service of his own selfish ends. Indirectly, the story is critical of the current fascination with MMA and it alleges that the greed that is rampant in MMA is completely at odds with the noble and profound spiritual values that are at the heart of most martial arts. In this regard, the rampant greed tied to MMA is the pretext for the actions of the vicious fighter who is systematically vanquishing and killing the champions of many other martial arts including Maggie’s father. The killer’s motives really have nothing to do with the money; it has everything to do with being a monster.

What I found most interesting about this story is that Summer’ s character suffers but she does not regain what she lost. She survives and she is able, with the help of the 5-0 team to vanquish the villains but at great cost to her: she has lost her father, she is betrayed by someone she trusted, and she is left at the end of a fight in great pain with a broken arm and other injuries. There is justice but there is no happy ending.

At the end, we see Summer alone in her grief even though she is being consoled by her beloved uncle. This is probably as real-world as it gets and once again, Summer has given us a wonderful portrayal that is both fascinating to watch and convincing. That it is also quite believable is a testament to Summer’s ever-increasing skill as an actor. In this story, she appears to display an emotional depth that one can only hope is not informed by personal experience.

As an aside, given how Hollywood seems ever more interested in bringing Asian characters into their stories (and rightly so), presumably to appeal to China and other countries on the Pacific Rim, Summer convincingly pulled off the portrayal of a native Hawaiian. This is just one more piece of evidence of Summer’s ability to inhabit a character and to bring to the screen a convincing, nuanced, and entirely believable performance. She has an imagination and she uses it to good effect in service of the story.

Having said this, however, I do have one complaint and it has nothing to do with anything that Summer did. I got the overall sense that I was watching a fine Swiss watch being used to time hard-boiled eggs or a Porsche sports car being used to deliver newspapers. When is the entertainment industry and the powers that be within it going to get how great an actress she is? The world needs more performances by Summer Glau.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

Message edited by Alex - Wednesday, 2013 Feb 13, 03:40

Date: Tuesday, 2013 Feb 12, 21:22 GMT | Message # 49

Site Admin

Great comment as usual, Alex!

I must say i wasn't expecting Summer Glau's character to have so much screentime (especially in the second part of the episode) and most importantly play such an intense and well written role, considering she was not the only guest star and the series has four lead characters.
As you said, the role of Maggie Hoapili in Hawaii Five-0 allowed to highlights many of Summer's strenghts as an actress, such as the ability to play convincingly vulnerable but strong characters.

I've read a comment online complaining that Summer's character was crying 90% ot the time; this is a good example of someone who cannot appreciate good acting (not that i'm much better at this though). Summer's performance was precisely that she played a character who has lost her father and was crying, but she showed simultaneously that she was proud and strong; and Summer expressed that beautifully (take a look at the screencaps if you're not convinved).

I disagree with you on one point about the vision of the episode, Alex; while there's no discussion that underground fighting and greed are condemned, it doesn't mean that a traditionalist vision of the Hawaiian society and culture is praised. The strengh of the script is that it managed to wrap a modern storyline around these sacred values. (on the same topic, one can read the article mentioned in post #46)

Date: Tuesday, 2013 Feb 12, 21:51 GMT | Message # 50

Friends

Guys. Being stuck in the UK, all I got to see was what Chris put up here and that was the swimming pool brawl. How am I to know that this episode was anything more than that?
I guess I will have to watch it in 10 weeks time just to see what the populace and environment of Hawaii looks like these days.
Oh and yeah, to see whether there is more to this episode than Summer being tied to a chair wearing Terminator boots and her possibly unrealistically tackling someone bigger and possible more ferocious than herself.

I let you know what I think in 10 weeks.

Date: Tuesday, 2013 Feb 12, 21:59 GMT | Message # 51

Site Admin

Quote (KevinInEngland)
Guys. Being stuck in the UK, all I got to see was what Chris put up here and that was the swimming pool brawl. How am I to know that this episode was anything more than that?

Now you know tongue
This is also why we encourage people to post (and read) comments; because it allows to have more insight and sometimes different point of view on a topic.

But you gave me an idea and i will change regularly the clip showcased in the News in the following days.

Date: Wednesday, 2013 Feb 13, 03:42 GMT | Message # 52

Bloggers

In the picture in message 47, the MMA fighter is the same girl standing next to Summer in one of the group shots I believe.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

Message edited by Alex - Wednesday, 2013 Feb 13, 03:42

Date: Wednesday, 2013 Feb 13, 04:21 GMT | Message # 53

Friends

Kevin why you don't get hands on the episode before you judge over it your writing seems prejudice and to say if she goes that channel you are "done" with her?? what type of fan are you? angry surprised no matter what channel she goes if you are a fan of her you go and support that decision otherwise you are not a real Fan...

to be stuck in the U.K is not an excuse to say " could not watch the episode but i take the liberty to criticize it" there are a lot of ways in this world to watch that certain episode... you just need to open your eye's and get your butt up!

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

Message edited by Fox012 - Wednesday, 2013 Feb 13, 04:24

Date: Wednesday, 2013 Feb 13, 04:46 GMT | Message # 54

Friends

i wonder if there was an increase in the ratings for this episode with summer glau as a guest star in h50 for cbs, i do hope so might open up for future guest roles for summer glau, she did a great job typical summer absolute natural in all departments, i watched h50 the following morning feet up with a cup of coffee wink couldnt miss summer glau i would been been depressed all day, smile

Date: Wednesday, 2013 Feb 13, 06:54 GMT | Message # 55

Friends

Okay, the first time Summer takes down that one woman in the pool, watch carefully when Summer backs away. In the wide shot, it looks like there’s some weird white thing attached to her right pinky toe. Anyone know what that might have been? It looks like a splint. I hope Summer didn’t injer her toe (or anything else) during shooting!

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

Date: Wednesday, 2013 Feb 13, 11:54 GMT | Message # 56

Site Admin

Quote (robbo)
i wonder if there was an increase in the ratings for this episode with summer glau as a guest star in h50 for cbs, i do hope so might open up for future guest roles for summer glau, she did a great job typical summer absolute natural in all departments,

Since last season, Hawaii Five-0 made a habit of beating Castle (on ABC) in the ratings. But this season, it also airs opposite NBC’s hit show Revolution (on a hiatus at the moment). As for the ratings for this episode, they were stable; H50 gathers around 9-10 millions viewers every week. Not sure Five-O can remain in its current timeslot next year but i think it should be renewed.

While Summer Glau's presence may have an influence on the ratings for genre shows such as Chuck or Alphas, she no influence whatsoever on mainstream shows such as The Big Bang Theory, Greys Anatomy or Hawaii Five-0.

Since Summer is clearly trying to expand her repertoire, what matters is that she gets those roles and that she pulls great performances, not the ratings. From what i've read online so far, coming from Five-0 fans and bloggers alike, the reactions to Summer's guest spot are generally positive. Let me quote a few encouraging comments in this regard:

Quote (H50 fan)
Another good episode. No idea who Summer Glau is but she did a good job.

Quote (tvfanatic.com)
Glau - who also did great work on the gone-too-soon Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - is always pretty excellent at combining expressiveness and depth with ass-kicking skills in her roles. She's a true gem for anyone who likes their action-adventure to be emotionally engaging, and I hope she finds her way to a regular TV gig again soon.

Quote (H50 fan who knew SG before)
I tend to have a problem with her acting, she comes off as awkward/stiff. The only things I liked her in was Firefly and Sarah Conner Chronicles. I think because the characters were odd/android.

This is the first time I enjoyed her in a guest appearance. She was great, perfectly natural, and I liked her character. I would be very happy if she returned on the show. I think that her chemistry with Daniel in just those few seconds was noticeable.

Date: Thursday, 2013 Feb 14, 13:26 GMT | Message # 57

Site Admin

Hawaii News Now, the news department shared by three Honolulu, Hawaii television outlets, reported the broadcast of Hawaii Five-0's episode guest starring Summer Glau on Monday February 11. Though one of the reporters is apparently a fan of Summer Glau; here's the transcript and the video of his TV appearance.

Trivia: one of the network news reporter, namely Dan Cooke, played a reporter in the opening scene of Lifetime movie 'Deadly Honeymoon' and his fellow reporter has not failed to point it out.

Coming up tonight on Hawaii Five-0; itʻs a brand new episode and someone Iʻm excited about seeing; more than the Victoria Secret models. Other than Grace Park; I think the other exciting part about tonight would be Summer Glau. I loved her in the TV series Terminator when it was on...but this girls not only has acting, but can literally kick butt. In action roles in the past, she has had to go some wu-shuu like training.

Date: Friday, 2013 Feb 15, 16:24 GMT | Message # 58

Site Admin

Funny review of H50 3.16 Kekoa at chron.com

'Hawaii Five-0: Also, she can kill you with her brain'

drum drum drum RIVER TAM!

There is, of course, a dead body in the trunk. Thomas Hoapili. 46. Fish market owner. Boomer and Jin interview his daughter, played by Summer Glau. I begin preparing myself for the disappointing certainty that this is her only scene and she’s going to be Takei’d.

Side note : George Takei (Star Trek) was a guest star in a previous episode of H50 but got approximatively two lines and very few screentime. In this regard, Summer Glau has been spoiled by the production.

Date: Saturday, 2013 Feb 16, 02:50 GMT | Message # 59

Friends

tell ye the truth i think summer glau did quite well for screentime in h50 episode, ok didnt see her i think till was it after 12, to 15, minutes, cant remember slept since then, but after that i thought she did ok for the rest of the episode, so in theory i would say she has been spoiled by the production team of h50, nice one we want more summer glau as a guest star. smile

Date: Friday, 2013 Feb 22, 21:37 GMT | Message # 60

Friends

There was no Hi guys a funny thing I've noticed and probably not so interesting. 
The serie's number is s03e16, if you break it it gets to 3:16 like Stone Cold, Steve Austin. 

Whats actually interesting is that Keith Jardine who plays Ramsey Pollack also played Tagliaferro in Tactical Force along with Steve Austin. If we see Summer in a movie with Steve Austin next this will be really funny. biggrin
It actually isn't so unlikely to happen, tho I don't think of it as a dream come true atm, I think it may actually be pretty fun to watch, given that the movie won't be so bad. :P 

Anyways apart from that I actually want to share my opinion on the fight scene with Summer. 
IMFHO that is the best female fighting scene that I've seen to date and will probably see in a long time. :P 

This was so awesome.

There was none of the boring things that all the other shows put out there most of the time, and at the same time it was so exciting and cool, I felt so great inside while watching this scene, full with excitement. 
I loved it how it went straight forward and that Summer really kicked(or mostly punched in this case) some major ass. biggrin

Really impressive how the fight went really fast and extremely exciting at the same time.
And Summer's scene was looking so so real. I really would love to see more of Summer like this.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau on Hawaii Five-0
Page 4 of 5«12345»
Search: