San Francisco Comic Con
September 1-3, 2017

Summer Glau at MCM Belfast Comic Con 2017
By chrisdvanne

Misc. News on Pilots and Series
By robbo

Juke Joint!
By robbo

The OFFICIAL Summer Glau Appreciation Page!
By chrisdvanne

Summer Glau at MCM London Comic Con 2017
By chrisdvanne

Photos of celebrities from the Glau-verse & beyond
By robbo

The Happy Birthday thread
By KevinInEngland

Game of Thrones
By robbo

Summer Glau at Rose City Comic Con 2016
By chrisdvanne

Interesting about the franchise and other TSCC things
By KevinInEngland

New comments

Jimmy PK on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

Martin John on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

chrisdvanne on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

Martin John on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

robbo on: Summer looks fierce in a fashion photo shoot by Joan Allen

chrisdvanne on: Serenity Comic - All Aboard the feels train

chrisdvanne on: Summer looks fierce in a fashion photo shoot by Joan Allen

RedsBaron on: Summer looks fierce in a fashion photo shoot by Joan Allen

chrisdvanne on: Summer looks fierce in a fashion photo shoot by Joan Allen

robbo on: HQ photos from the Firefly panel at MCM London Comic Con

New videos

00:01:17

00:14:30

00:03:40

New Forum Posts Members Forum Rules Search

Page 1 of 3123»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Josh Friedman news (Josh Friedman to write a new series about robots)
Josh Friedman news
Date: Friday, 2012 Aug 31, 10:49 GMT | Message # 1

Friends

http://io9.com/5939472....-robots
T:SCC's showrunner Josh Friedman is working on a new science fiction project.

Date: Friday, 2012 Aug 31, 13:09 GMT | Message # 2

Site Admin

Josh Friedman and Howard Gordon are working on a new science fiction project for NBC.

Futuristic Thriller Drama From Howard Gordon & Josh Friedman Lands At NBC

Here's what Deadline Hollywood reveals :

Homeland executive producer Howard Gordon and writer Josh Friedman have teamed for a high-concept drama project, which has landed a rich premium script deal at NBC. The untitled project, from 20th Century Fox TV and Gordon's studio-based Teakwood Lane, is described as a thriller soap set in a world much like ours, where human-looking robots are commonplace. After a routine homicide explodes into the first robot-on-human murder, the lead detective must solve the case and investigate a growing robot rebellion while dealing with the impact on his own fractured family. This marks the first project to come out of Teakwood Lane, which Gordon launched last month.

Friedman will write the script with Gordon supervising.

If you remember, Josh Friedman has signed a three-year overall deal with 20th Century Fox TV to develop new projects; two of his scripts went to pilot, aka horror drama Locke & Key and spy drama The Asset but went not into series unfortunately (this to remind you that TNT's pilot Scent of the Missing not going to series is a common thing in tv busines).

As a huge fan of TSCC, i'm obviously interested by this project; it looks like NBC is still looking for a human/robot serie, even if they didn't picked up Beautiful People pilot:
Andrea Parker, Jud Tylor, Megalyn Echikunwoke, Madisen Beaty and Cody Christian have been added to the cast of NBC’s drama pilot Beautiful People. The project, written by Michael McDonald, is set in the near future in a society where humans co-exist with mechanical androids that look like people but are treated like second-class citizens. It centers on the very wealthy Lydia (Frances Conroy), whose late husband founded the firm that makes Mechanicals. Parker will play the wealthy Roberta, whose life is turned upside down when her rebellious teen daughter (Beaty) starts a romance with a Mechanical boy (Christian), the son of Lydia’s Mechanical servant David (Patrick Heusinger) and his wife Susan (Tylor). Echikunwoke will play the boss of Lydia’s other son, attorney Gregory (James Murray).

I hope this news script will have a pilot order and ultimately goes into series.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Date: Friday, 2012 Aug 31, 14:05 GMT | Message # 3

Friends

After a routine homicide explodes into the first robot-on-human murder, the lead detective must solve the case and investigate a growing robot rebellion

Sounds a lot like i-Robot. Wonder if Will Smith will be the lead......

Date: Friday, 2012 Aug 31, 14:57 GMT | Message # 4

Friends

Now this is exactly where I want to see Summer. She does not have to be a hard-headed (in the meaning of tough, not.....), I would be happy to see her as subservient and put-on. In this manner, we will all feel aggrieved over her treatment but rejoiceful when one day 'the worm turns'.
Or perhaps something else.... Any suggestions guys?

Date: Friday, 2012 Aug 31, 15:07 GMT | Message # 5

Site Admin

Quote (KevinInScotland)
Any suggestions guys?

Of course, as a huge TSCC fan, i cannot help thinking about Summer's role as Cameron in the FOX serie; Friedman can write robots (or cyborgs, or androids) roles like no one else.
But this is precisely why he won't hire Summer Glau for the role, because us TSCC fans will inevitably think about Cameron everytime we would see Summer on screen in this new serie. Whereas Friedman wants to write a new serie, with new characters and he want the audience to care for that NEW character, not for Cameron.

On a side note, Friedman hired Heroes's alum Ali Larter to play the female lead in The Asset. Can it be a hint at which type of actors will join the pilot if NBC orders it (which seems a go atm).

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 2012 Aug 31, 16:00

Date: Friday, 2012 Aug 31, 15:52 GMT | Message # 6

Friends

Ah, are you talking erotic or very aggressive? Or both.

I know Ali Larter is very good, I remember her in Heroes. She can be sexually manipulative and aggressive.
She was also very feisty in another film.

You have a good point chrisdvanne. All I hope is that the new cyborg/android/gynoid film is not stuff full of silly computer assimilations, as I can't abide that stuff. (Like Buffy.... for me that was yuk!)

Date: Saturday, 2012 Sep 01, 01:30 GMT | Message # 7

Bloggers

Quote (Passha)
http://io9.com/5939472....-robots
T:SCC's showrunner Josh Friedman is working on a new science fiction project.

Thanks for posting this Pasha. It looks really interesting.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

Date: Saturday, 2012 Sep 01, 01:58 GMT | Message # 8

Bloggers

Quote (chrisdvanne)
Quote (KevinInScotland)
Any suggestions guys?

Of course, as a huge TSCC fan, i cannot help thinking about Summer's role as Cameron in the FOX serie; Friedman can write robots (or cyborgs, or androids) roles like no one else.
But this is precisely why he won't hire Summer Glau for the role, because us TSCC fans will inevitably think about Cameron everytime we would see Summer on screen in this new serie. Whereas Friedman wants to write a new serie, with new characters and he want the audience to care for that NEW character, not for Cameron.

On a side note, Friedman hired Heroes's alum Ali Larter to play the female lead in The Asset. Can it be a hint at which type of actors will join the pilot if NBC orders it (which seems a go atm).

This gets more and more interesting. I have heard Friedman speak in four or five podcasts put out by The Nerdist Writer's Panel. I don't mean to embarrass the man but he is very intelligent and highly creative. He speaks well and very frankly about the various programs he has worked on. Of course, in his comments on TSCC, he was very clear about how much he learned from the experience and in no small way, the lessons he learned in running that show (his first) were very helpful in his subsequent efforts. It is no surprise that he got the three year deal. As he puts it, he was Josh 1.0 when he ran TSCC and to get to the deal he has now, he had to become Josh 2.0: a kinder, gentler Josh who is more focussed on the business.

You have to admire someone who can transform himself and yet still remain true to what he loves which is to tell stories. He has found a way to make it work and along that path, he has given us some really great entertainment. I wish him every success in this latest attempt. As it turns out, his plan for Ali Lartner's character in The Asset was that she was a prostitute for the CIA (she was the asset). I am not saying that he borrowed the idea from The Bourne Identity but he certainly came up with an interesting variation on that theme where someone is in the service of some government security organization and allows themselves to become so given over to the demands of the job that they put aside any moral or ethical questions they may have about what they are required to do. Similar to this, David Mamet's The Unit also put good people in difficult situations where they were forced to make compromises. I am sure that Friedman's take would have been very interesting.

I wonder what Summer could do in this series? Given Friedman's choice of her for Cameron, an example of brilliant casting if ever there was one, and the choice of Ali Lartner to play the CIA operative/prostitute, it appears he is damn good at picking the right person. I believe I know why. it is because Friedman places the story first. It is perhaps obvious to say this but once he has his characters defined, the framework of his story defined, and when he is able to walk around in that world he has created, the needs and requirements of who to cast, and what each person has to bring to the role must be very clear in his mind. He is very, very thorough.

When I think about it, there was not a single badly cast person in all of TSCC that comes to mind. I notice that several of the secondary actors who played important roles went on to some success: Leven Rambin, Garret Dillahunt, and the actor who played the first embodiment of Cromartie who is now a regular on The Mentalist. Even the psychologist/social worker in the halfway house in Allison from Palmdale has had repeat roles in the latest Batman film, Dollhouse, and other series. All of this is to say that if there is a character that is a good fit for Summer, Josh Friedman will probably pursue her and she will be great.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

Date: Thursday, 2012 Sep 06, 16:00 GMT | Message # 9

Site Admin

It looks like Friedman's project will have competition.

Fringe duo J.J. Abrams and J.H. Wyman are reteaming for a sci-fi project set up at Fox.

Like Abrams' upcoming NBC drama Revolution, the Fox effort is set in the not-so-distant future and revolves around LAPD officers who are now partnered with highly evolved human-like androids.

Read more : THR

Date: Friday, 2012 Sep 14, 00:44 GMT | Message # 10

Friends

Quote (RNBM)
Sounds a lot like i-Robot. Wonder if Will Smith will be the lead......

So Instead of the guy that played Wash we Get Summer to play the robot, yeah I could like that, not saying the wash guy did not do a good job on I robot, but i prefer Summer. hope she will be of a model that has human like skin instead that whiteish gray glas/plastic of the I robots

a subservient robot, that one gets enough of her owners naagging and goes Bad Cam on them Hehehe biggrin

Date: Wednesday, 2012 Sep 19, 22:48 GMT | Message # 11

Site Admin

ABC has handed a script commitment with significant penalty to Chosen, a drama from Big Fish writer John August and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles developer/executive producer Josh Friedman.

Described as a unique tale of family struggle, teen romance and California evil, it explores how a family’s life is upended when their 15-year-old daughter is identified as the reincarnated prophet of a mysterious South American religion. But is she their messiah, or a pawn in a darker conspiracy?

Source : 'High-Concept Family Drama From John August & Josh Friedman Sells To ABC' at Deadline

Date: Wednesday, 2013 Feb 20, 09:32 GMT | Message # 12

Site Admin

Star Wars, Avengers, and TV’s Lost Generation: How Small-Screen Visionaries are Transforming Hollywood

Josh Friedman
Friedman represents the greatest deviation from the Whedon/Abrams formula in that he’s only run one show: the short-lived Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. But, as anyone who watched Chronicles already knows, he excels at finding new approaches to familiar concepts—and those lucky enough to have seen his pilot for Fox adapting the comic series Locke & Key can also attest to an ability to pare down complicated genre concepts to find the emotional core inside—skills necessary to take on a movie series based on a well-known property.

Read more: entertainment.time.com

Date: Friday, 2013 Mar 08, 14:49 GMT | Message # 13

Site Admin

Not a word on Josh Friedman's pilot for NBC and ABC at Deadline pilot list.

And now this is worrying sad

Date: Thursday, 2013 Apr 11, 00:31 GMT | Message # 14

Site Admin

Friedman with Lena Heady during the writer's strike at the end of 2007

Date: Thursday, 2013 Apr 11, 00:58 GMT | Message # 15

Friends

it was a bit of a shame the writers strike, i would have to say probably robbed us of a longer season 1 of TSCC , rather than the nine episodes we recieved which were fantastic, but would have been great getting the same as season 2 , but they must have had their reasons for the strike to happen, otherwise season 1 maybe would have had more episodes not sure what josh friedman had up his sleeve, nice picture of josh, and lena, great memories. smile

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Josh Friedman news (Josh Friedman to write a new series about robots)
Page 1 of 3123»
Search: