menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau guest starring role on Grey's Anatomy
Summer Glau guest starring role on Grey's Anatomy
TheWhiteClownDate: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 17:42 | Message # 91
Group: Friends
Hello Every One,
Now, big Summer Fan. Think she is brilliant.
But as for this episode of Grey's, I have to ask a simple question.
Why?
I agree she is a niche personality/Celebrity. But does she truly love GA that much, that she would do a walk on?
Or
Is she so strapped for cash, that she had no choice?
Or
Is GA going so badly that they don't have the money to pay her to speak? ( I pray that this is the answer)
I only ask because I really hate that show, but watched it, simply to see Summer in it. (Sad bad true, as I am sure pretty much everyone else on this forum did too).
As stated before, I am a fan, a big fan. I have seen pretty much everything she has ever done and have endured some really tough moments watching Mammoth. (It was really bad and it had nothing to do with her performance)
I am also a amateur writer and based one of my main characters (6 Novels So Far. And waiting to be published) loosely on her.
But I have to wonder why?
Seriously Why?
And here is the bit I really do not understand, using google as my reference (Try it yourself)
Typing in grey's anatomy Season 8 Ep 16 you get
About 10,700,000 results
Type in Summer Glau and you get
About 4,990,000 results
Type in grey's anatomy and Summer Glau you get
About 2,170,000 results.
So nearly 25% of the buzz about the eps revolved around Summer's appearance on it.
1/4 of the buzz was about her.
Now try grey's anatomy season 8 episode 10
About 8,460,000 results
Try grey's anatomy season 8 episode 15
About 7,840,000 results
Try - wait- you get the idea.
I read a comment before stating 'she would not bring in ratings'. I disagree, but not the way you would think.
Every single person she brought accross to watch the show, is tech savy and would have either downloaded it, streamed it and ratings in the US are determined by people actually watching it live. (No PVR or TIVO in the count)
So my belief is this, she created some buzz for the show. Yet, as with everything she does, the people who watch her work, do not watch it when it is broadcasted. She may have brought in 25% more viewers to the show, but we don't count.
So what remains is a simply question that will go unanswered.
Taking point from a post 'Summer is a big girl and knows what she is doing'
Yes, you know what you are doing, but did you do it because you like the show? Or because you needed to do it?.
If the answer is (You needed to). then let me add this.

I WILL ALWAYS WATCH EVERYTHING YOU DO ON TELEVISION LIVE!!!!
I WILL PAY MY MONEY TO WATCH YOUR MOVIES (Knights of Badassdom, Legend of Hellsgate etc) IF THEY ARE AT THE PICTURES!!!
I WILL BUY 10 COPIES OF FIREFLY/THE CAPE/ DEADLY HONEYMOON etc WITH CARTOONED COVERS (Long Story) AND ALL!!!!
I WILL MAKE SURE, THAT EVERY TIME I SEE YOU ACT AND AT YOUR BEST, IT WILL BE ON A LEGAL COPY FORMAT (Unless unable to find and can not be bothered waiting for release in my country)
SO YOU DO NOT HAVE A F@#KING WALK ON PART IN A SHOW I DESPISE AGAIN!

And I think we should all do that. Hopefully, one day people will see what a true treasure she is.
Summer Rocks!

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 19:27 | Message # 92
Group: Administrators
Just like the majority of the fans, we can only observe that from a fans point of view, Summer's Glau's guest appearance is disappointing.

But at the difference of the numerous self-proclaimed "big Summer fans", i always try to see the bigger picture.

This is why you should restrain from posting simplistic and ungrounded assertions like yours. I can accept rants from people i know and respect but this is not the case here.

As usual with Summer Glau we have little to no elements to back up our reasoning and using your own ungrounded assertions to draw definitive conclusions and scream them here is unnecessary.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 19:34

BlaziusDate: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 19:50 | Message # 93
Quote (The1Russter)
Happy for Summer, disappointed with Production team behind Grey’s and with Hollywood in general for not recognizing her talent."

I agree completely. It was probably a good move for Summer to do this. She wouldn't have done it obviously if it didn't benefit her somehow. We shouldn't act like if we cared more for Summers career than Summer herself after all.

But its a fact that the GA team made a terrible mistake with this episode. What I don't understand is that it was a terribly illogical choice too. At least behind TSCCs cancellation there was some logic, it at least made sense from the extremely flawed, purely number driven industries POV. But here its not even that. Its just completely devoid of any logic from any direction and thats why its hard to really come in terms with this IMO.

Quote (The1Russter)
Frankly I found GA to be bloated with too many actors and too many stories to allow any one of them sufficient development.

Thats what I observed in this episode too BTW. Nobody could really stand out or have a decent screentime or meaningful story because too many people and story was forced into 45 minutes. It would have been much better if it stayed more focused.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 20:02 | Message # 94
Rating news : Grey's Anatomy ratings are down a tenth of point compared to last week :

Episode 8x15 aired on Frebruary 17th drew a 3.2 in adult 18-49 demo and got 8.3 Million viewers while yesterday's episode starring Summer Glau drew a 3.1 rating and got 8.91 Million viewers.

While the total number of viewers was up by 600k viewers, the ratings in the key 18-49 demo were slightly down and CBS's Person of Interest (3.1 and 13.4 Million viewers) matches GA in Adults 18-49, for the fist time of the season.

Source : tvbythenumbers

Joe73Date: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 22:04 | Message # 95
So what I got from the episode was that her characters name was Emaly. smile

Thats a window bird.

FermiDate: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 22:46 | Message # 96
HD videos of Summer as Emily the nurse.

Summer Glau in Grey's Anatomy 8... par chrisdvanne

gan3 par chrisdvanne

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 22:59 | Message # 97
Quote (Joe73)
So what I got from the episode was that her characters name was Emaly.

In fact this is Emily Kovach

Click on image for larger size
Summer Glau in Greys Anatomy

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 22:59

Joe73Date: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 23:07 | Message # 98
Quote (chrisdvanne)
In fact this is Emily Kovach

Nice, did not get that smile

Thats a window bird.

TheWhiteClownDate: Saturday, 25 Feb 2012, 19:00 | Message # 99
'This is why you should restrain from posting simplistic and ungrounded assertions like yours. I can accept rants from people i know and respect but this is not the case here.

As usual with Summer Glau we have little to no elements to back up our reasoning and using your own ungrounded assertions to draw definitive conclusions and scream them here is unnecessary.'

I agree, with you on all counts and I enjoyed your comments.
But I have to ask, is simply pointing a finger back at me and screaming 'YOU ARE WRONG' with out given a single point of yours, as to how my opinion is false, your way of saying hello?
Or
Is there way of getting to know me?

You see, I believe a opinion can be voiced, regardless of content. As long as it is followed by a discussing on how that opinion was ether true or false. I call this 'Communication'. I also, call responding to someone's remarks with the same levels of understanding you would appropriate as 'Respect'. So because you have posted 4277 comments on this board and I, only 2 (Including this one) I have not yet earned you respect or the ability to have my opinion added to this site? I am thinking of a work to describe this sort of situation.

Hmmm (Totalitarianism)

But then again I could be wrong and my rant as you put it, not warranted. For that.... I am truly sorry.
But then I thought about it for a moment longer.

Is this not a place to discuss all this Summer related? Be it good or bad? Right and Wrong? Left and right?

I ask, only because of the premise of this site (All things Summer Glau.... or such..... or maybe I am thinking of somewhere else)

If you discovered in the morning that Summer was out all night, at a rave, popping pills and having a good time, when...... on her way home to her nice warm bed, she runs over (In her Mini) a small child on a push bike and is arrested for culpable driving.
Would this place not be the forum to discuss it?
Or should this place be used only to show true appreciation of her, by worshiping at her feet, without question, as do some religious people (before you say anything. I am a not having a go at religion. Just the crazy men down the road from me)

If that is the case then.
Great work Summer with Fire Fly and Terminator and the Cape.
I really enjoyed watching Alphas for the first time, thanks to you appearance in the show.
By far though, I think your best work would have to be in the 4400 and Superman/Batman: Apocalypse and Dollhouse.
My only issue with all of your great work is this.
There is not enough of it
I do enjoy your work as I do that of many other actors and would often chose the movie or show I am going to watch by who is in it.
So thank you for taken your time to allow me to take the time, to watch you work.
Simply brilliant and simply graceful.

If that is not the case, I look forward to your polite remarks and frank discussion about the topic. However, I would still like to add only this.

Summer is a person that we all look at and believe her to be special.
The same could be said for each and every person on this site/world.
Please try to remember that.

riversfeetDate: Sunday, 26 Feb 2012, 01:25 | Message # 100
Even if Summer's role was limited, I do have to hand it to her for being so expressive in her scenes. The smiling, the eyes widening. She did a lot with what little she was given. Not many actual bit-part actresses would have done that.

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 26 Feb 2012, 01:55 | Message # 101
TheWhiteClown

Everyone here can attest i have a tradition of greeting the new members but i'll tell you what i don't like about your post :

1) About the form : because i have posted more than you doesn't mean i am right and you're wrong but i believe a newcomer should take the time to introduce himself and get to know the people of a forum before making a post as questionable as yours.

Recently, a new member posted a new thread with the following message "Get your vote on *****" : i answered that we were not close friends so that he could speak to the members of the Wiki that way, especially by using a word that has a negative connotation attached to it.

It has nothing to do with Totalitarianism, it's just politeness; sorry if i sound old fashioned but i think a lot of forums work on the same basis.

2) About the content itself : you're making questionable and ungrouded assertions like "Is she so strapped for cash, that she had no choice? " or " but did you do it because you like the show? Or because you needed to do it?" and then you come up with conclusions based on theses ungrouded assertions.
More, you're implying things about Summer's wealth (or lack of wealth) that some readers could find inappropriate. At least i do.

If we can discuss about Summer's fees from a gig or the revenue she got from attending a convention, that type of insuation can be considered inappropriate and disrespectful. I do see it that way.

Is this not a place to discuss all this Summer related? Be it good or bad? Right and Wrong? Left and right?

Yoy're perfectly right! We're not an official site and we have an entire freedom of speech, as long as your comments are not disrespectful to Summer and to other members.

For example, i keep saying that Summer is not telling the truth when she keeps repeating in interviews that she choose scifi roles "simply because they're the best" (whereas it's based on the fact she's typecast unfortunately; even if she tries to change that by accepting roles like in GA for example).

While i must admit your comments did not blatantly break the CoC, the repeated use of insinuations and allusions to Summer's wealth is quite offensive.

3) The Summer Glau Wiki is not a gossip site and indeed the rules are that we don't care about her personal life (clubbing or boyfriends for example), read here : http://summer-glau.com/index/0-2

I don't know how long you've been a fan of Summer but i went through a period where Summer's boyfriend had to sent a letter of explanations to the fans because he, and also Summer, were criticized by self-proclaimed fans; for example they said that Summer was smoking because he was and it's a bad thing, or they said that he had a bad influence on her because he had tatoos and guys who have tatoos are bad boys ??????
This was Totalitarianism and you did the same by using insinuations and then come up with conclusions about Summer's personal life.

As you see, i have taken the time to answer your post and i hope i have cleared a few misunderstandings; the content of your second message tends to prove that you're a real fan and i give that to your credit.

I'm not the resentful type and i try to help all members, particularly the new ones, the best i can; you're welcome if you want to be part of this peaceful community. Why don't you take the time to introduce you in a few words in this thead : Please introduce yourself

Side note : Summer's guest spot on GA was quite confusing for a lot of fans and all the haters took that opportunity to come out of the woods and spout their poison; under these circumstances, i must say that i was particularly vigilant they didn't show up here. This is also why i pointed your post, i hope you understand that.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Sunday, 26 Feb 2012, 16:26

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 26 Feb 2012, 09:57 | Message # 102
Grey's Anatomy is every actor's dream: getting to work in trainer!

Summer Glau in Grey's Anatomy

AlexDate: Monday, 27 Feb 2012, 21:32 | Message # 103
Group: Bloggers
I share the general feeling of disappointment that she did not have a more prominent role although one could say that she represented the archetypal "other woman" which would make her what any married woman would hate. I am not saying she was having an affair with Dr.Owen but certainly Cristina thought she did - perception is reality - and we see Cristina coming undone. And of all the characters on that show, she would probably be closest in mentality to a terminator, an irony that I am sure is not lost on anyone here.

I don't think we are going to see this thread left hanging, unresolved. I am guardedly optimistic that Summer will return and that there will be at least a speaking part for her. She is more than capable of handling that character, no matter which way it goes (either Cristina is imagining it all or there really is an affair). In Summer's portrayal of Crystal on The Unit, she played a real trollop and that was quite a few years ago. Her skill has only increased since then. Summer could play a really bad girl (we can only hope).

Even though the role was limited, I was impressed by how she was able to demonstrate what Josh Friedman noted and that was that even in repose, Summer really catches the viewer's eye. It is not just us hardcore fans. Even my wife, who is as far removed from SciFi as it is possible to be in the known universe, observed that Summer was quite a looker.

Without meaning to delve too far into this gig and what it could mean for Summer, surely in the 8 to 10 million viewership, there are probably a lot of impressionable people who sat up noticed her. The name of the game is exposure - good luck Summer!

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

Message edited by Alex - Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012, 04:24

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 27 Feb 2012, 21:37 | Message # 104
A short synopsis is out for season 8 episode 17, "One Step Too Far." :

Derek asks Meredith to work with him in neuro again; Catherine Avery (Debbie Allen) comes back to Seattle Grace and takes an interest in Richard; Cristina becomes increasingly suspicious of Owen; Morgan may be falling for Alex.

Source : Spoilertv

The show is on a hiatus for a few weeks and will come back with episode 8x17 mid March.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 27 Feb 2012, 21:39

AlexDate: Monday, 27 Feb 2012, 21:38 | Message # 105
Group: Bloggers
One more thing strikes me as odd. And this is complete speculation but did anyone find it odd that Cristina behaved almost like Cameron when Riley came on the scene? Cristina became irrational, started to follow Summer's character, and perhaps if a pigeon had appeared in the scene, do you think that Cristina would have crushed it? I am kidding but I have to wonder if perhaps Shonda Rhimes is a terminator fan and perhaps she was impressed with that arc (Riley - John - Cameron). After all, she tweeted with irrepressible enthusiasm how excited she was to have Summer Glau at the first table reading of the script.

Shonda Rhimes could be a secret Jameron fan!

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau guest starring role on Grey's Anatomy
Search: