[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 6 of 11«12456781011»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau guest starring role on Grey's Anatomy
Summer Glau guest starring role on Grey's Anatomy
AlexDate: Friday, 17 Feb 2012, 17:27 | Message # 76
Group: Bloggers
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Ok , it would be great to collect tidbits of information in order to have a general idea of the characters and current plots; i think it could be a great help for the fans of Summer who don't watch the show. This way, they would understand the context and be able to watch next week episode more smoothly.

Disclaimer - apart from being an occasional viewer, I really don't follow this show.

What I know so far is that Christina, played by Sandra Oh, was romantically involved with Owen, played by Kevin McKidd, but Sandra Oh had an abortion which upset Owen so much that they broke up. Since that time, their relationship (or ship) has been rocky to say the least. I believe they still have feelings for each other and that this is a significant story arc. I believe that Summer's character is involved in what Christina thinks is an affair with Owen. So this could mean that her role is that of a catalyst to help Christina to work out her feelings for Owen.

Christina is a completely self-centred, driven, and very ambitious doctor who is perhaps one of the most difficult characters to like on this show. She lives for her work. She is tough as nails and full of contradictions - complicated would best describe her. There may be a great deal of tension between Owen, Christina, and Summer's character if Summer is a sweet, nurturing, and compassionate person who is sympathetic to Owen. These characteristics will probably drive Christina mad with jealousy and since she is capable of anything (she is devious and unscrupulous), we could see a real cat fight. If this is a one episode show, Summer could get slaughtered. If Summer is around for a few more episodes (like Levin Rambin who played Riley in TSCC - 5 episodes), she could get into some interesting and compromising situations where she is positioned between these two very strong-willed and passionate characters. There are going to be sparks either way.

Off topic a bit but Oh and McKidd are very good actors each in their own right. McKidd was the centurion Lucius Vorenus in the series Rome and he was spectacular as the tough, pragmatic, and tragic soldier whose whole world was turned upside down. Oh is a Canadian (yeah!) who is also a very good actor. One of her most notable roles is in the movie Sideways which is a real screwball romantic comedy. It will be interesting to see how well Summer does playing opposite these two heavyweights. Personally, I think she can more than hold her own. Good luck to Summer.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

Message edited by Alex - Friday, 17 Feb 2012, 21:42

Nomad79Date: Friday, 17 Feb 2012, 21:18 | Message # 77
Group: Friends
I think her role might be minimal at the least. Pretty much sums up a guest spot...any new info on her 'nurse' character would be nice to learn. I've watched Grey's before when Katherine Heigel (she played Isabella on Roswell) was on it a few years back, couldn't really get into it. People are so used to Summer being in Sci Fi roles that it might be hard for her to actually get the 'more mature' roles she wants to play.

I support Summer in what ever she does and wish her the best and she does get a bit of mainstream exposure once more on ABC and very glad to see her back on the screen even if it is for just a few moments or a good portion of the episode. Personaly I'd like to see her land that role she always wanted, even if it is in scifi or in another genre.

That's why she's at the top for us fans, but 'Hollywood is another matter' among the current shows and movies being put out. I have an idea at the role she would be her best at. It's based on a Playstation 3 game I've been playing. it could count as a crossover between TSCC since they both share simliar ideas and themes.

BlaziusDate: Friday, 17 Feb 2012, 23:35 | Message # 78
Quote (Alex)
It will be interesting to see how well Summer does playing opposite these two heavyweights. Personally, I think she can more than hold her own. Good luck to Summer.

I don't think Summer would be outclassed by them at all. But if they are good and closer to Summers level then we could see a rare occasion when somebody can keep up with her and complement her play rather than rendered irrelevant by Summer because of the huge gap between skills.

Of course this won't happen because Summer most likely won't get enough screentime to show anything sad

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 20 Feb 2012, 23:14 | Message # 79
Group: Administrators
New promo trailer for next week episode featuring intern Morgan’s premature son :

I guess next promo will focus on Adele’s Halzheimer (see episode synopsys on the news page); which leaves not much room for Summer's story as we mentioned earlier.

Thanks to Fox012 for the video!

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 21 Feb 2012, 00:15

Fox012Date: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 05:18 | Message # 80
Well Summer had more screentime in LOHG in GA she just walked in flipped some sheets and walked out with no lines at all

such a waste of talent anybody could had done that angry *sighs deeply* sad wacko

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

FermiDate: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 05:36 | Message # 81
Video clip and screencaps of Summer Glau in Grey's Anatomy

Summer Glau in Grey's Anatomy 8... par chrisdvanne

Grey's Anatomy 8x16 If Only You Were Lonely

Grey's Anatomy 8x16 If Only You Were LonelyGrey's Anatomy 8x16 If Only You Were Lonely

Gallery Album

Like fox says she had no lines cry

You can't stop the signal!

BlaziusDate: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 06:05 | Message # 82
Even with those few scenes Summer is the most brightly shining light among everybody else. Her face shows genuine emotions, her beauty outshines all.

Even from these scenes its apparent that she is the biggest talent in that cast and should have sent a message.

I'm refraining from my daily ranting about Summers lets say limited screentime because we knew that way before this episode that she won't have much for unknown reasons.

Though the thing which bugged me righter after the first of many commercials was that how could Summer even show her true potential in such a show?

I mean, what the other actors did with more screentime? There weren't nearly as much emotional and truly dramatic scenes as in Summers previous works. They just stood there, telling some gossip while unrealistically gutting plastic dolls as if they "made surgery".

Quote (Fox012)
such a waste of talent anybody could had done that *sighs deeply*

It was maddening that I couldn't hear that sweet and beautiful voice of hers at all.

But seriously the whole ep wasn't better than Mammoth. Initation of Sarah was actually better than this IMO so what do we expect from it? Its not some kind of artistical work which we'd want to see Summer in.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 06:20 | Message # 83
My two cent on Summer's cameo is that her management relayed the information on the tv business that Summer Glau wanted to branch out from scifi and do other roles, this is why Grey's producers offered her that small role.
It's obvious that producers have not enough faith in Summer to hire her in prominent roles outside of scifi; it showed in LOHG, Scent of the Missing and now GA.
Still this guest spot is a small step in Summer's change of career.

Also it's obvious that the writers wanted to stay focused on Sandra Oh character while unfolding that cheating plot; Christina is the star of the show after all. The writers never intented to replay Fatal Attraction (starring Glen Close & Michael Douglas) or Disclosure (starring Demi Moore & Michael Douglas). It's a bit disappointing but perfectly normal since Christina is the star of the show.

The1RussterDate: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 07:22 | Message # 84
Group: Writer
I had the following to say on Summer-Glau.net, but first a quote from James post on the topic that I referenced.

James, "To be honest, I don’t think it qualifies as a cameo." and "She was basically used as a plot device to advance the “I think he’s cheating on me” storyline..."

I said:

"I absolutely adore Summer Glau. I am very pleased to see her branching out into other types of programs. But I don’t see the point of the production crew hiring Summer Glau for this role. If it were to just to advance ‘cheatin on me’ plot device mentioned by James, then any actress could have filled that billing for as little as they had Summer contribute to that story.

I do agree it barely qualifies as a cameo role. Not one line of dialogue. The bit parts given to unknown actors playing the injured arrivals were required to act more than what they gave Summer to do!

Happy for Summer, disappointed with Production team behind Grey’s and with Hollywood in general for not recognizing her talent."

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Fox012Date: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 07:37 | Message # 85
Happy for Summer, disappointed with Production team behind Grey’s and with Hollywood in general for not recognizing her talent."

Greatly Sum's it up for me!

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 07:44 | Message # 86
I agree with you Russ, any other actress would have filled the role (minus Summer's magnetism on screen); but it just reinforce my point that Sumer was probably happy to add a line to her resume that is not scifi; she don't care it's basically a walk on role, or that she din't deliver touching scenes, the point is to set foot in a mainstream non scifi show.

And please let's be serious, Summer will not bring a rating bump with her; firstly because her following is not that big, secondly because a lot of her followers are scifi fans and won't watch GA and also GA doesn't need to pile up a few fans that will not stay for the next episodes anyway.

Quote (The1Russter)

I'll give an anwer to that soon, thrust me.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 11:06

Jason_ConnorDate: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 08:16 | Message # 87
Well me being one of those Sci-Fi fanboys I gotta say that I agree with everyone else. Yes, it was a small role and I never watch these kinds of shows. However, she will all ways outshine a cast regardless of their experience. I am happy that she is branching out and I will always support whatever role she takes. Also I think she had one line but for me, I could barely hear it.

The1RussterDate: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 15:32 | Message # 88
Group: Writer
What makes Summer's appearance on Grey's so frustrating is that they so underused her on the show, you cannot comment on her acting by any means. This is the kind of role you give to an actor starting out who has maybe 2 to 3 small roles and a couple of commercials under their belt, not someone with Summer's resume. Maybe there were lines or scenes cut to give more time to the main story. We don't know and maybe never will. Frankly I found GA to be bloated with too many actors and too many stories to allow any one of them sufficient development. But regardless, even if this appearance serves as a stepping stone so that Summer can further her career, it was disappointing to her fans, but the disappointment lays with Grey's production staff not with her.

In the second half of the episode, i was hoping for a confrontation between Oh and Glau's character. That didn't happen. So I was hoping for some mention in the scenes for next week of SG making another appearance where a showdown could happen. No scenes, just an ad for some new program in the spring. So that leaves me thinking, if this nurse SG is playing is essential to the whole Doctor Whoever cheating on Oh, then why the underplay and no further mention? If however this is the only time the nurse character appears, then why bring in a known actor to play what is essentially a bit role, barely above that of an extra? Why leak a weeks in advance that Summer Glau is going to be on Grey's and then so underuse her on the show? Whatever the reason, its just wrong.

Best of luck to Summer Glau. I truly hope Scent of the Missing pilot gets picked up.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 16:25 | Message # 89
Just like you Russ , i'm a little surprised and disappointed but all the signs we've pointed at on this thread clearly showed that Summer would have little screentime, which was proven right by yesterday's episode.

I have no doubt that Summer knew exactly what she will be playing when she signed for this guest apperance; her scenes being cut at editing is a possibility but i don't believe in it because of the way her scenes are filmed, from Cristina's point of view in this case. Leaving the tv watcher with only Cristina point of view adds to the mistery and uncertainty of the cheating and allows to focus on the Christina/Owen relationship and not on a possible remake of "Fatale Attraction".

More, Summer is a big girl now, having more than 10 years on tv behind her and she and her agent know how tv business works; if they've accepted that role, it's because it serves a bigger purpose, which is to reach a larger audience on non-genre tv shows. Even it that means Summer will have to start at the bottom of the ladder, like in GA.

Read my lips : this cameo-like, non-talking guest apperance will do better for her career than her brilliant, plot-changing guest appearance on Alphas.

Why? Because Alphas is a niche show on cable, gathering only 1.4 Million viewers while GA is a hit show on a major network, Thursday’s No. 1 drama in the key 18-49 demographic, gathering more than 8 Millions viewers, having multiples repeats and sold internationally.

This is why i congratulate and support Summer in her choice.

Side note : No new episode of GA until March 15th

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 16:28

RNBMDate: Friday, 24 Feb 2012, 17:29 | Message # 90
It’s a shame Hollywood doesn’t recognize Summer’s talent like we do. The only reason I can figure Summer would take a role like this is for networking purposes. The producers of GA have must have a number of other show in the works and the contacts made by being on set may assist her in the future. By the way, first time post. Just had to comment on this....

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau guest starring role on Grey's Anatomy
Page 6 of 11«12456781011»
Search: