menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau guest starring role on Grey's Anatomy
Summer Glau guest starring role on Grey's Anatomy
BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 25 Jan 2012, 23:40 | Message # 16
Group: Friends
I've just found out that in fact I know Grey's Anatomy very well!
I'm not watching it personally but its a very popular series in Hungary. Main channels are showing the seasons, there are constant reruns and I'd say 90% of the female population watches it.

Its extremely cool that Summer is in it and I'd like her to have multiple appearances because I think its a fantastic asset to become more popular.
One of the best moves she's ever done IMO.

The reason I didn't notice what this show really is is because the Hungarians gave it a totally different title. We call it Grace klinika( Grace's Clinic, yeah I know, its odd wacko ) which has nothing to do with the real title of course.

The revelation came to me when I checked this site:

http://napivizio.postr.hu/post-013

The second paragraph says:

"Summer Glau(pictured) who showed skill in sci-fi shows such as Firefly, Dollhouse, and the Sarah Connor Chronicles will guest star in Grey's Anatomy. This was announced by the shows creator and producer Shonda Rhimes on Twitter. "

biggrin

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

AlexDate: Thursday, 26 Jan 2012, 18:31 | Message # 17
Group: Bloggers
Quote (Blazius)
I don't know. My impression was always that she is bonding with her characters at least to a degree. She puts a lot of herself into those characters, she plays with her head, thats undeniable but she puts her raw emotions into them too at the same time. I think if she won't be so involved with them she wouldn't even care that much for their morality either. So i don't know, I'd say she is fearless and professional in one hand, on another she has an intimate connection with her characters too.

I think the most important for her above all is that the job must be artistically satisfying for her to play. If the role is conflicting with her morals or it isn't satisfying to play she won't take it.

I think the fearlessness, tenacity, and her morals are all part of her general approach to the work. And, as you say, she does invest a lot of herself emotionally in her character.

Part of what makes her performances so compelling and interesting is that Summer has a tremendous ability as I see it to pull so many facets of a character together and there are usually a few very strong facets that end up making such a strong impression. With River, she portrayed her as secretive, unpredictable, emotionally raw, and abrupt; Cameron was resolute, devoted, also secretive, and inquisitive (in almost a childlike way).

Clearly, for her to get so much of a character right, Summer has to have a strong sense of her own character. For River, she has said that she channelled her experiences as a teenage girl. For Cameron, I suppose that she must have used her imagination but she has also said that she saw the Terminator films for the very first time at her father's insistence. I believe that she picked up a lot of what other terminators did in a short space of time although she did also say at one conference that she and the other actors portraying terminators had gone to a "terminator camp" run by (I think) the director David Nutter. All of this is to say that I believe she has matured as an actor. With River, she did a brilliant job of portraying that troubled genius. With Cameron, she had developed her skills of defining a character based on her sharp, analytical skills of capturing and internalizing what she thought defined Cameron.

To your point though, she can portray characters that are repellent or that do horrible things (such as murdering people as Cameron) but that behaviour is grounded in a good story. So is quite true that she has artistic integrity. As to putting aside her morals and ethics, she can do it if it is a requirement of the story but I think that unless she believes it is a requirement, she won't do it.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

AlexDate: Monday, 30 Jan 2012, 19:39 | Message # 18
I watched an episode of GA featuring Nia Vardelos and Peri Gilpin, episode 812. The episode featured several stories, all running in parallel and the quality of the acting was quite high. This is a fast paced and emotionally intense program. The guest stars were all patients or they were related to the patients. So, I think that Chris is correct in that Summer will be playing a patient. A quality that each patient (the conscious ones at any rate) seemed to share was they could really deliver an emotionally charged performance in a very short time.

One of the actors was a young boy with an inoperable tumour. The actor was the one that played the son in The Cape.

Since this was episode 12, I think that episode 16 should be available in four weeks - counting the days... biggrin

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 30 Jan 2012, 20:01 | Message # 19
Group: Administrators
Quote (Alex)
One of the actors was a young boy with an inoperable tumour. The actor was the one that played the son in The Cape.

Ryan Wynott in Grey's Anatomy Season 8 ep.12 "Hope for the Hopeless"

Lol. I don't know if you've watched The cape Alex but Ryan's role was poorly written and most of all poorly interpreted by Ryan Wynott; the biggest blame was that he played it emotionlessly.
Given that GA is precisely based on emotion and as you said the ability to "deliver an emotionally charged performance in a very short time", i'm a bit surprised to find him here.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 30 Jan 2012, 20:02

BlaziusDate: Monday, 30 Jan 2012, 20:09 | Message # 20
Group: Friends
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Ryan Wynott in Grey's Anatomy Season 8 ep.12 "Hope for the Hopeless"

I'm always getting annoyed when I see his face, I don't know why smile

Quote (chrisdvanne)
and most of all poorly interpreted by Ryan Wynott; the biggest blame was that he played it emotionlessly.

He'll most likely get an Oscar, not even one! Emotionless actors are cool nowadays you know tongue

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

AlexDate: Monday, 30 Jan 2012, 21:30 | Message # 21
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Lol. I don't know if you've watched The cape Alex but Ryan's role was poorly written and most of all poorly interpreted by Ryan Wynott; the biggest blame was that he played it emotionlessly.
Given that GA is precisely based on emotion and as you said the ability to "deliver an emotionally charged performance in a very short time", i'm a bit surprised to find him here.

I didn't want to offend anyone's taste nor perhaps offend Wynott who may read this but I have to agree that he does need to liven up his performances. But to give him the benefit of the doubt, he may have been forced into this style by the directors. In The Cape, I thought his performance was flat, dull, and lifeless. The scenes with the family were uniformly the worst in that series. However, his approach worked in GA because the son was the opposite of the mother who was an emotional wreck. He was ice to her fire.

Here's hoping he gets a chance to prove himself in the future and takes some risks. Maybe he could take some acting lessons from Darth Vader... biggrin

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 31 Jan 2012, 10:44 | Message # 22
According to tvguide, Summer Glau will play a nurse in episode 16 of season 8.
Her guest appearance is scheduled in February.

Not playing a patient means she will not (i hope) eventually die at the end of the episode, which means the doors are opened for a recurring or semi-recurring role, just like they did in Alphas.

Also it reinforces Alex's suggestions in post #13 (see quote bellow), all the more that Katherine Heigl won't probably return as Izzie in GA, even if she recently mentioned she'd love to.
I had read that a lot of the main characters are approaching the end of their contracts and at least one (Patrick Dempsey) has said he will not be returning. I am just speculating but I wonder if the guest death stars (apologies to the star wars fans out there) is something that the show runners wanted in the middle of the arc of the series. Perhaps as they approach this major transition where major characters may disappear, they are looking at bringing in some interesting and compelling characters who may help the show transition to the next phase of its life? The Fox network president is on record as saying that he wanted GA to continue past the eighth season and that he absolutely trusts the vision of Shonda Rhimes who also wants the show to continue.

I wonder if she will play a good or an evil nurse; the first thing that came to my mind was that she could play a nurse who shortens the suffering of patients in the final stage of life. Euthanasia is illegal in France and i hear regularly touching or sometimes scary stories on that topic. I guess it could be a great story for GA, yet i think the subject has already been shown in the show.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 31 Jan 2012, 17:03

Fox012Date: Tuesday, 31 Jan 2012, 15:53 | Message # 23
Can't wait to see Summer in GA *excited* cool

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

AlexDate: Tuesday, 31 Jan 2012, 16:54 | Message # 24
Very interesting point Chris about euthanasia - Summer as angel of mercy or angel of death. If she was a killer, perhaps this would be her first genuinely evil role although Cameron certainly had her moments. Perhaps she could be sent off to prison, find her way into an prison infirmary as a worker, and plot her escape to get back at the staff in GA. She could re-emerge as a killer using her knowledge of poisons and an ability to deceive people. Or perhaps she is an angel of death who never gets caught and she has a very interesting background, like a Dexter sort of benevolent serial killer, who kills with impunity but still has a set of rules that guide her.

I am completely speculating. wink

For her sake though, I would rather see her land a recurring role and become a series regular. I don't like to make comparisons but the stint that Olivia Wilde did on the medical drama House seems to have been good for her. I mean no offence to Olivia Wilde but if the general public can accept her as an actress, given her resemblance to Summer, I think they will fall in love with Summer.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 31 Jan 2012, 18:47 | Message # 25
Quote (Alex)
If she was a killer, perhaps this would be her first genuinely evil role

I'm afraid you have paved the way for Blazius's Wrath...sorry, there is nothing i can do for you.
The edit button could have saved you but it's no use now since i have quoted your comment.

AlexDate: Tuesday, 31 Jan 2012, 19:35 | Message # 26
I think I am ready...

Fox012Date: Tuesday, 31 Jan 2012, 21:59 | Message # 27
@chris @alex

You can't be Serious about this Summer would Refuse such a Role for sure and it's Illegal in the US as Well AFAIK

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 31 Jan 2012, 22:05 | Message # 28
Quote (Fox012)
@chris @alex

You can't be Serious about this Summer would Refuse such a Role for sure and it's Illegal in the US as Well AFAIK

I'm not implying she would refuse a role where she would be a killer (Cameron does not count because she's a killer robot by essence).

I was just noticing that Alex forgot about Summer's role in deadly Honeymoon where Lyndsey Forest killed her husband and was probably a bitch. Btw Blazius have said on numerous occasion he would love to see an evil Summer Glau. We have had a glance of evil Summer in Dollhouse too.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 31 Jan 2012, 22:11

Fox012Date: Tuesday, 31 Jan 2012, 22:18 | Message # 29
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I was just noticing that Alex forgot about Summer's role in deadly Honeymoon where Lyndsey Forest killed her husband and was probably a bitch

You don't know that since it was never Mentioned in the movie the only trace that she might killed him was the Supicious Female cop but there is no proof at all she killed him just sayin...

and Evil Summer Ok but I think Playing a Killing Nurse would make her role short living(and we won't that)also I think it would scratch on her Ethics maybe (?)

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 31 Jan 2012, 22:33 | Message # 30
To be honest, i don't believe Summer will play an evil nurse but who knows.

I was just mentioning that Summer Glau already played "potentially" evil character in Deadly Honeymoon, in Dollhouse or in The Cape (even if it ended too soon to confirm that theory) and that Blazius would not miss the opportunity to notice it. But really that was just said in jest biggrin

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau guest starring role on Grey's Anatomy
Search: