menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau guest starring role on Grey's Anatomy
Summer Glau guest starring role on Grey's Anatomy
Fermi Post # 1 | Tuesday, 24 Jan 2012 - 01:50
Group: Administrators
Awesome news!

Shonda Rhimes the creator, head writer, and executive producer of television series Grey's Anatomy. Recently announced on her official twitter page that Summer Glau will make an guest appearance in an episode of the show.

Love table read days! We have Summer Glau as a guest star!

It has also been confirmed by Aussiello at tvline.com

More details about Glau's character we will have soon.

You can't stop the signal!

Fermi Post # 2 | Tuesday, 24 Jan 2012 - 02:34
She will appear in Episode 16 of Season 8 according to http://www.tvguide.com/News/Summer-Glau-Greys-Anatomy-1042147.aspx? '

it is an february episode http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-fe....-284106
which began production with a table read today (Monday, Jan. 23).
http://blog.zap2it.com/fromins....16.html

Fermi Post # 3 | Tuesday, 24 Jan 2012 - 03:24
I never seen an episode of Grey's Anatomy in my life is it a good show?

chrisdvanne_ Post # 4 | Tuesday, 24 Jan 2012 - 03:36
Neither did i but from what i've read online this is the kind of drama that people like to watch for the multiple and crossed love stories between the doctors, no matter what the actors performance is.
Katherine Heigl was regularly voted most awful actress in various online poll but she's still successful and has made successful, if not critically acclaimed, movies.

Welcome to Hollywood!

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

The1Russter Post # 5 | Tuesday, 24 Jan 2012 - 03:40
Group: Writer
I'm very happy that Summer Glau will be making this guest appearance on Grey's. Though I've never seen the show, that kind of exposure to a new audience will undoubtedly do well for her career. With the pilot shot and 2 movies coming out, this year is definitely her year.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

chrisdvanne_ Post # 6 | Tuesday, 24 Jan 2012 - 09:52
Ok i was a bit harsh when i described GA's story line, there is also a lot of drama between the doctors and even a kill.

Katherine Heigl is not on the show anymore but after 2 movie hits it seems her career is taking a halt and she's even said she'd like to return to the show.
Does the fact that she was the seventh highest paid actress on tv from May 2010 to May 2011 has something to do with it?.

Fermi Post # 7 | Tuesday, 24 Jan 2012 - 15:04

Summers co-star from Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles Leven Rambin that played Riley had a recurring role in the series

She played Sloan Riley, the 18-year old-daughter of Dr. Mark Sloan.

– Hook, Line and Sinner (2010)
– Sympathy for the Parents (2010)
– Valentine's Day Massacre (2010)
– Blink (2010)
– Holidaze (2009)

She also played the same character in Private Practice (a spin-off to Grey's Anatomy" centering on the life of neonatal surgeon Addison Montgomery.)
-Another Second Chance (2010)

Alex Post # 8 | Tuesday, 24 Jan 2012 - 15:48
Group: Bloggers
I am glad to hear that Summer has landed this job. It will offer greater exposure and hopefully it will lead to more roles.

I find it interesting that the show's creator, Shonda Rhimes, really admires Summer Glau. I am not surprised that she does but I think it is safe to say that Summer is generally held in high regard, particularly among people like Rhimes (powerful decision makers who control budgets). She is certainly highly regarded by Whedon, Friedman, the people from Alphas, and so on. But what really gets my interest is that Gray's Anatomy is doing very well in the ratings. It is very successful with plans to continue past the eighth season. I believe Summer will get a lot of exposure to a whole new audience and she is not being brought in to boost ratings. This is probably a good vehicle for her to showcase her talent.

Go Summer!

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 9 | Tuesday, 24 Jan 2012 - 18:11
You're right Alex, i see the impact of her guest appareances on The Unit or The Big Bang Theory on Twitter almost every day, given that these mainstream shows have a lot of reruns (syndication).

Unlike her guest spots on TBBT, on Chuck or on Alphas, Summer is not there to lure the geeks audience to the show, nor is she there to boost the ratings; obviously the audience of GA and sci-fi shows don't overlap. More, GA gets a 3.5 in adult 19-49 demo with 10 Millions viewers every Thursday on ABC and Shonda Rhimes probably had not in mind a ratings boost when she decided to hire Summer.

In this case, we can imagine that it is only her acting skills and her good looks that got her the job. This new gig also confirms the new turn in Summer's career that she started with TNT drama pilot "Scent of the Missing".
While writing about Scent of the Missing (probably a procedural cop drama) and GA ( a medical drama), i can't help thinking about the discussions we had in the following threads : What would be the best role/genre for Summer? and Would you watch Summer on a doctor, lawyer or cop show ?. That was just speculation at the time but it's the reality now : this is very satisfying as a fan to see that things are changing for the better in Summer's career.

Blazius Post # 10 | Tuesday, 24 Jan 2012 - 19:13
Group: Friends
Summer is the best sci-fi actor who ever lived but I'm very happy that she is leaving that sinking ship. Sci-fi is by far my favorite genre and that will be always but it seems like a dead end for actors and maybe its the no.1 reason why Summer is not the queen of Hollywood yet( what else could be, everybody realizes how talented and beautiful she is). So yes, this guest appearance and Scent are probably the best things that could have happened IMO. Also congrats for the new management for realizing this too.

Its also nice to see BTW that she is actually very capable of landing roles outside of sci-fi too and she is not stuck with SF after all.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 11 | Tuesday, 24 Jan 2012 - 19:54
Quote (Blazius)
Its also nice to see BTW that she is actually very capable of landing roles outside of sci-fi too and she is not stuck with SF after all.

A lot of people in the Glauverse thought that she was typecast and that she was not offered roles outside sci-fi; it was difficult for us to make our own mind but now we have the proof that Summer Glau is recognized for her acting skills.
All she needs now is a succesfull serie and Hollywood will take a closer look at her.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 24 Jan 2012, 19:54

chrisdvanne_ Post # 12 | Wednesday, 25 Jan 2012 - 14:28
I have a scoop on Summer's role in GA : she will probably die.

Well, at least if her guest appearance follows the same pattern as most previous celebrities before her.

Seen on the net :
Quote (PopeJohnPaulII)
I for one am still a fan of this show and glad to see Summer Glau show up. Celebrity guests come and go so it will be neat to have her make an appearance and, as I recall with most celebrity guests, die. It's not that I don't like Summer Glau, it's just that they tend to have celebrities appear and make their deaths touching. Mandy Moore comes to mind, heart wrenching... poor Bailey. Of course let us never forget Jeffery Dean Morgan as Denny Duquette, so touching.

Alex Post # 13 | Wednesday, 25 Jan 2012 - 17:37
Group: Bloggers
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I have a scoop on Summer's role in GA : she will probably die.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! >(

I am kidding but I just hated that scene in Dollhouse where she was shot in the head. And of course the scenes in TSCC: Born to Run where Cameron was shot up and finally shown in repose were difficult to watch (for me) although as others have said, it made for great drama. And truth be told, in The Unit, I think they missed a superlative dramatic turn when Crystal was eliminated by sending her back to Michigan rather than having her assassinated.

Summer Glau strikes me as a fearless actor who is willing to take on any role. Perhaps part of that willingness is also that she is very practical - a job is a job although she does not take roles that compromise her morals and ethics. I say morals and ethics because I believe that the term value is almost meaningless these days. And finally, her willingness includes tenacity; she doesn't give up.

I had read that a lot of the main characters are approaching the end of their contracts and at least one (Patrick Dempsey) has said he will not be returning. I am just speculating but I wonder if the guest death stars (apologies to the star wars fans out there) is something that the show runners wanted in the middle of the arc of the series. Perhaps as they approach this major transition where major characters may disappear, they are looking at bringing in some interesting and compelling characters who may help the show transition to the next phase of its life? The Fox network president is on record as saying that he wanted GA to continue past the eighth season and that he absolutely trusts the vision of Shonda Rhimes who also wants the show to continue.

I am in full speculation mode. Let's get the big analytical engines on this board to take a shot at this.

By the way, Chris, I have been shadowing you a bit as I have seen your posts on several sites (like Deadline) and where possible I have added pro-Summer comments. Not my intention to be a copy cat but rather I wanted to add my voice to promote Summer Glau.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

Message edited by Alex - Wednesday, 25 Jan 2012, 17:43

Blazius Post # 14 | Wednesday, 25 Jan 2012 - 19:59
Group: Friends

Sorry I couldn't resist biggrin

Quote (Alex)
I am kidding but I just hated that scene in Dollhouse where she was shot in the head.

That scene was horrible and unnecessary IMO. Bennett deserved far better than that! She deserved to be loved once in her life and when that was about to happen and she almost got what she wanted she got a bullet in her brain pan.

I know that death has a dramatic effect and its very artistic to play such tragic roles and Summer is wonderful in them and while she always seems to search for art in her roles I absolutely hate when her characters are dying or they are hurt too much. The reason is that I care for her characters more than for any characters I've ever seen and I want them to be fine. I think Summer brings this out of many fans, think about the great number of fans who are so much protective towards River for example.

Quote (Alex)
Summer Glau strikes me as a fearless actor who is willing to take on any role. Perhaps part of that willingness is also that she is very practical - a job is a job although she does not take roles that compromise her morals and ethics. I say morals and ethics because I believe that the term value is almost meaningless these days. And finally, her willingness includes tenacity; she doesn't give up.

I don't know. My impression was always that she is bonding with her characters at least to a degree. She puts a lot of herself into those characters, she plays with her head, thats undeniable but she puts her raw emotions into them too at the same time. I think if she won't be so involved with them she wouldn't even care that much for their morality either. So i don't know, I'd say she is fearless and professional in one hand, on another she has an intimate connection with her characters too.

I think the most important for her above all is that the job must be artistically satisfying for her to play. If the role is conflicting with her morals or it isn't satisfying to play she won't take it.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 15 | Wednesday, 25 Jan 2012 - 21:26
I'm glad that my little provocation had the intended effect biggrin

I guess Summer is so good as playing characters that the audience cares for that their death has a dramatic effect as you said.

As many other fans of Summer Glau, i don't watch GA and i'm not aware of all the latest casting news on the show but i took a closer look since Summer guest spot was annouced. There is possible changes in the cast like the one you mentioned about Patrick Dempsey (maybe he think he wants to dedicate himself exclusively to a movie career after his main role in Transformer 3) but on the opposite Katherine Heigl wants to come back to the show (she has had 2 hit movies but her career seems to have come to a halt).

I don't think Summer will have a multi-episode story arc though.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau guest starring role on Grey's Anatomy
Search: