menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau's next TV appearances (Alert members about Summer related TV appearances here)
Summer Glau's next TV appearances
Joe73Date: Friday, 02 Dec 2011, 20:14 | Message # 1
Group: Friends
Alert members about Summer related TV appearances here

I will start.

Tonigth (Dec. 2), Denmark, DR1, 2340, Serenity biggrin

Yeahhh. Cant Wait biggrin

EDIT:

Thats a window bird.

Message edited by Joe73 - Friday, 02 Dec 2011, 21:05

FordStaffDate: Friday, 02 Dec 2011, 23:09 | Message # 2
The promotional pictures for Serenity are always very strange to me. The explosion in the background gives the impression that it will be like a Micheal Bay movie, but how many explosions were there? One in the series that I can think of, and can not remember any in the movie actually. Not that it is a bad thing there were few explosions.

Also strange is that everyone looks similar to their series counterpart until you get to River. Then all of a sudden her eyes are blue, despite not being blue in the series or movie at any point. Not to mention her aggressive face, clad with weapons, yet she is only like this at two points in the movie. At least that is more justifiable than blue eyes for no apparent reason, trying to make her seem more mysterious is my guess.

Am I the only one who thinks the promotional material for Serenity makes River not look like River at all, not even the movie River when she gets pissed? Not only does Summer not look like River, she does not even look completely herself in the posters.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

The1RussterDate: Friday, 02 Dec 2011, 23:52 | Message # 3
Group: Writer
Promotional material is handle by the production companies advertising and artwork departments and may or may not accurately depict the content or story of the movie. That has been a hallmark of studios since the inception of the motion picture industry.

The only thing you can take from the artwork for Serenity above is that River will be the main focus of the movie. Her character is set in front of the others who are depicted smaller and in the background. River is in an action pose and the others look like cutouts from advertisements in Guns & Ammo magazine. As for the blue eyes, I really can't tell in that picture, but once again it gets down to advertising. They made her eyes blues as its been scientifically proven that people are drawn to those with blue eyes.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 01:09 | Message # 4
I really can't tell in that picture, but once again it gets down to advertising. They made her eyes blues as its been scientifically proven that people are drawn to those with blue eyes.

Her eyes look blue in this picture. River is suppose to seem dangerous in the promotion, so blue eyes seem kind of self defeating. Then again a part of River's character from the beginning has always been a mix of innocence and danger. They specifically have her wear the dresses along with combat boots during the series to visually suggest the hidden badass factor.

Promotional material is handle by the production companies advertising and artwork departments and may or may not accurately depict the content or story of the movie. That has been a hallmark of studios since the inception of the motion picture industry.

I fully understand this, but it still bothers me when I see the posters, especially when they change the actual physical features of the characters. A Star Wars Poster where Leia had blonde hair would be pretty disenfranchising too, particularly if it was an actual promotion.

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 01:56 | Message # 5
Quote (FordStaff)
Also strange is that everyone looks similar to their series counterpart until you get to River. Then all of a sudden her eyes are blue, despite not being blue in the series or movie at any point. Not to mention her aggressive face, clad with weapons, yet she is only like this at two points in the movie. At least that is more justifiable than blue eyes for no apparent reason, trying to make her seem more mysterious is my guess.

I think the stressing of her badass side is a promotional trick to attract viewers. Thats why she looks so sexy in this picture despite River had a very asexual effect (at least on me) in the series. What movie would you watch rather?

A movie with a poster featuring a weird looking, childish girl with messy hair crying while her brother is hugging her or with a poster featuring an extremely badass, mysterious warrior woman with two badass weapons posing in a sexy dress showing the perfect curve of her body? And how could the original River overshadow the other characters with big guns and cool poses?

This sends a more clear message that the others are still cool and important in the movie but River is cooler and more important even than them.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 02:07 | Message # 6
Group: Administrators
A movie poster or promo picture is supposed to sell the product, a movie in this case; but as said The1Russter it doesn't depict the reality of the movie, just like an advertisement embellish the reality.

Burger King Whopper in advertisements and in reality.

The promo material is made by professionals and they know what graphic will have the most impact

I was completely fooled by "Skyline" movie poster recently; it looks that the movie is an Independance Day clone whereas it was filmed in one guy's appartment (not to mention the terrible acting and story) wacko
But it worked since the production budget was $10 millions and worldwide revenues were $66 millions.

Skyline movie poster.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 02:12 | Message # 7
I have reproduced in another thread collages of movie posters who are identical, proving that the marketing department uses the same visual tricks.

Back to back people
Movies involving a couple in a romantic comedy, often paired withs pink color to evoke wedding or seduction; Pretty Women didn't invented this type of movie poster but the success of the movie helped popularizing it.
http://summer-glau.com/forum/23-228-8931-16-1320771063

Reflects within dark glasses.
Besides agent K and agent J, most of the stars are featured in movie posters with glasses whose glasses are not totally black.
There is systematically reflects in the glasses but instead of reflecting what's in front of them, there is many different things like banknotes, bad guys or victims, buildings or even terminators...
http://summer-glau.com/forum/23-228-9937-16-1322073122

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 02:18 | Message # 8
As often the thread derailed, but i wanted to thank Joe73 for creating this thread; i think this is a brilliant idea.

Summer has played in enough films or tv shows (starring roles or guest spots) so that there should be daily entries; as Joe73's first entry showed, Summer's apperance on screen is not limited to the US and members are invited to report Summer related TV appearances in their own country.

I will relay the thread posts on twitter to have a better impact.

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 03:21 | Message # 9
As often the thread derailed, but i wanted to thank Joe73 for creating this thread; i think this is a brilliant idea.

Yes I apologize for being the local thread derail-er Joe73, I just can not help but comment on some tangent. I mean no disrespect.

A movie with a poster featuring a weird looking, childish girl with messy hair crying while her brother is hugging her or with a poster featuring an extremely badass, mysterious warrior woman with two badass weapons posing in a sexy dress showing the perfect curve of her body? And how could the original River overshadow the other characters with big guns and cool poses?

Trust me I understand that the authentic feel of the show is not very marketable (even if it is far better than what is). The main reason it bothers me so much is just the change of a physical feature of a character, that is when it is going to far. Having an explosion and River in badass mode does not bother me as much (a little), but changing the actual character's physical features? Admittedly the blue eyes do look cooler on the one poster with the the blue planet (miranda?), but still seems extreme even for marketing. What if they gave Wash his mustache from "Out of Gas" in the posters despite it lacking in the movie? May just be me, but this type of thing is irritating. (marketing in general is irritating)

Your post gives me an idea for the sequel that will never happen. (if it does I may urinate myself for the first time in a long while)

Introducing Serenity 2 Revenge of The Wangst (no need to compliment me on my originality, I am well aware cool ) --

90+ minutes of torture educed agnst as we explore the tribulations of an 18 year old experiment victim. I am sure it will market very well with this as its poster, if only they could have caught on for the first movie. (probably not the best crying pic, but could not find many in a search) - by the way this is not how I would actually imagine a hypothetical sequel, although with Joss Whedon the agnst is obligatory, but even he would not go that far (or would he?).

Message edited by FordStaff - Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 03:28

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 05:58 | Message # 10
Quote (FordStaff)
Trust me I understand that the authentic feel of the show is not very marketable (even if it is far better than what is). The main reason it bothers me so much is just the change of a physical feature of a character, that is when it is going to far. Having an explosion and River in badass mode does not bother me as much (a little), but changing the actual character's physical features? Admittedly the blue eyes do look cooler on the one poster with the the blue planet (miranda?), but still seems extreme even for marketing. What if they gave Wash his mustache from "Out of Gas" in the posters despite it lacking in the movie? May just be me, but this type of thing is irritating. (marketing in general is irritating)

I have no idea why they gave her blue eyes while Summer is absolutely stunning with her real eye color too if not more stunning. Is it possible that its some kind of unintentional colorization error with their equipment?

Quote (FordStaff)
90+ minutes of torture educed agnst as we explore the tribulations of an 18 year old experiment victim. I am sure it will market very well with this as its poster, if only they could have caught on for the first movie. (probably not the best crying pic, but could not find many in a search) - by the way this is not how I would actually imagine a hypothetical sequel, although with Joss Whedon the agnst is obligatory, but even he would not go that far (or would he?).

Watching Summer sitting in a room doing nothing for 90+ minutes would be interesting enough for me so i wouldn't object even then. Although seeing Summer crying for that long would cause me and other fans to feel an unstoppable urge to hug and comfort her so that wouldn't be a good idea on a second thought( she'd feel weird i guess) biggrin

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 06:37 | Message # 11

Watching Summer sitting in a room doing nothing for 90+ minutes would be interesting enough for me so i wouldn't object even then. Although seeing Summer crying for that long would cause me and other fans to feel an unstoppable urge to hug and comfort her so that wouldn't be a good idea on a second thought( she'd feel weird i guess)

Perhaps an unstoppable urge to hurt Joss Whedon, he is legendary for making his characters go through hell after all. It doesn't help that he makes his characters amazingly awesome, even scum bag Jayne are likeable (the end of Jaynstown is a surprisingly strong emotional hit). Personally I am not sure I would like a Serenity 2 if it just spiraled the characters to rock bottom, at least if it was permanent.

Message edited by FordStaff - Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 06:40

termi-ninja-torDate: Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 08:36 | Message # 12
Back with the theme of the thread, I believe The Cape will be shown by SyFy France starting December 5th, 2011 (Monday), at 8:45 pm.

I hope my information is correct, since I am not able to verify it myself. I am concerned because the time seems odd to me -- 8:45 pm. Can someone check this for us?

I have a link, but alas I cannot read French. Apologies!

http://www.syfy.fr/the-cape

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 08:39

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 10:38 | Message # 13
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
Can someone check this for us?

I have only basic notions in French tongue but i can confirm the schedule you mention is correct.

What bothers me is that there is no picture of Summer Glau as Orwell at SyFy Universal; i will try to correct this asap.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 17:17

Joe73Date: Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 14:51 | Message # 14
Quote (chrisdvanne)

Thank you. Glad you like like it smile

Quote (FordStaff)
Yes I apologize for being the local thread derail-er Joe73, I just can not help but comment on some tangent. I mean no disrespect.

Thats ok, Im just glad to be able to provid material for the general discussion here on the site. smile

Thats a window bird.

Message edited by Joe73 - Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 14:52

termi-ninja-torDate: Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 16:20 | Message # 15
Quote (chrisdvanne)
What bothers me is that there is no picture of Summer Glau as Orwell on this page; i will try to correct this asap.

OK, here's a pic from Episode 5 "Dice," where Orwell is wearing a wig for disguise.

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 16:43

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau's next TV appearances (Alert members about Summer related TV appearances here)
Search: