menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Submit a News or Article
Submit a News or Article
FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 06:55 | Message # 46
Group: Friends
I absolutely detest this system and I'd change it immediately if I had the means to do so but I can't. My point is what I wanted to make in the "Does Summer want to be an A-lister" thread. Summer has a disadvantage compared to most actors. Its not because she is more faulty. Its the opposite in fact. She is a far better person and actor than anybody else. But in a faulty system it doesn't matter. They don't care about art so a sensitive true actor material has less chance to become succesful since she can't be a super agressive bitch with a skin of a rhinoceros.

So Summer would need to change view about things if she wants to become an A-lister. But as I said earlier if it'd mean losing the sweet and pure Summer we know this isn't worth it at all. I know I'm repeating myself here but I felt that the examples we are discussing are perfectly illustrating the dilemma with Summer and A-lister status.

I understand your point and agree with it, Summer's personality and character is in a pretty big clash with the system.

I was just pointing out that assuming Summer should be glad to go in and audition for things was faulty. It is not a fun experience from what I have heard and read about and from actors. I am sure you know, but I wanted you to recognize the difficulties Summer may have, you seem to want her to push through as if it is nothing.

Does that seem right to you? As Jubal Early would say.

This made me chuckle, but no of course it aint right. Andromeda from what you say is exactly the type of hack that gives Science Fiction a bad image to begin with, SF has a hard enough time already, how on earth a shitty SF show is allowed to live is beyond me when so many good ones barely have a grasp on life, or are stomped down into the dirt. Not even fucking Star Trek the original series could make it past season two (before the revival). I should note I have not watched Star Trek much so I am not sure on the quality, but it is certainly the most iconic of all SF.

What I don't understand is if this is really the case then why even doing an auditioning for Cam? Why didn't he just call
Summer and say: "Summer Glau? I'm Josh Friedman and I'm making a Terminator spinoff series titled The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Since we couldn't do project X together I thought I'll seize the opportunity so we wrote a character exclusively for you to play, the main Terminator hero actually.Are you in?"

I am not sure, but I think he got the idea when she came in to audition for the part.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 07:07

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 11:52 | Message # 47
Group: Administrators
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I read somewhere Josh Friedman wanted to work with Summer on another project but it could not be done; then he wrote Cameron thinking about her.

Found it! Summer Glau Explains The Nature Of Robot Love at Io9 by Charlie Jane Anders

The awesomeness of Summer Glau:

Friedman says he saw Summer audition several years ago, and really wanted to cast her in something. But instead, she went off to do the Serenity movie and The 4400. Friedman carried her audition tape around with him for a few weeks afterwards. And when the time came to do the Terminator show, he wrote the part of Cameron for her. "She's one of those few people who can be completely still, and still hard to take your eyes off."

Glau says that playing a robot is more challenging in some ways than playing a regular human, because she has to plan out everything in advance. She can't just react naturally or convey normal emotions.

In the pilot episode, Friedman says, he and producer James Middleton saw Glau do something incredibly clever during one take. They weren't sure if she was doing it on purpose, but then during the next take, she did it again. That was when Friedman realized how awesome Glau was going to be at playing this character, and how little hand-holding she was going to need.

For once i agree with Josh Friedman smile
I wonder what the "incredibly clever" thing Summer did on the pilot was; maybe bending the head on the side like Cameron does when she doesn't understand an human behaviour. I should watch the pilot again.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 08 Dec 2011, 02:09 | Message # 48
Quote (FordStaff)
I understand your point and agree with it, Summer's personality and character is in a pretty big clash with the system.

I was just pointing out that assuming Summer should be glad to go in and audition for things was faulty. It is not a fun experience from what I have heard and read about and from actors. I am sure you know, but I wanted you to recognize the difficulties Summer may have, you seem to want her to push through as if it is nothing.

Once again, I do not "want" Summer push through as if it is nothing. I'm simply stating the fact that her mindset may cause her difficulties reaching the top of a faulty system. Lets say she refuses to go to the Cameron audition. Then somebody comes and steals the role from her. While that woman is nowhere near as good as Summer or outright ruins the character she still gets from the initial exposure and from the hype and from that Lena Headey and Brian Austin Green will carry her into the second season. While what does the woman do who is the perfect choice for the role? Nothing.

She sits at home or does a less important project. Would this Wiki even exist then? No. Would be Summer the undisputed sci-fi Queen( that is an achievement too IMO despite what anybody would say)? No.

Similar could happen or may already have happened with an even better role. There is Summer who'd be perfect to play the given role and there is another who is nowhere near her levels but she is an ambitious bitch. So while Summer hesitates to get the role, ambitious bitch even bore a child for the producer for getting the role.

Of course Summer should never be that ambitious and I'm exagarating on purpose here. My point is that producers will not always wait for Summer to decide if she feels grown up enough for the role to take. She should push for it with all her possible strength with every reasonable method not holding back like this.

I say again that this might not be what she wants and I'm not even sure what we'd want her to do. I'm just saying that if we dream about 3 blockbusters a year in this faulty system then this mindset is not very good. I don't want 3 blockbusters with her BTW. i'd want a high quality Tv show with her where she could show the full extend of her incredible talent and would last for 10 seasons at least. Or a KOTOR movie of course but not just some shitty, messed up idiocy which nowadays blockbusters are and in many aspects the SW prequels were. I want old GL or somebody competent make it at last.

Also after I preached for a whole thread about how much Summer is a Hero for going through so many hardships and doing so much personal sacrifices and even trying to convince you of it I find it surprising that you want me to see how heroic is Summer smile I'm perfectly aware of that.

Quote (FordStaff)
Andromeda from what you say is exactly the type of hack that gives Science Fiction a bad image to begin with, SF has a hard enough time already, how on earth a shitty SF show is allowed to live is beyond me when so many good ones barely have a grasp on life, or are stomped down into the dirt. Not even fucking Star Trek the original series could make it past season two (before the revival). I should note I have not watched Star Trek much so I am not sure on the quality, but it is certainly the most iconic of all SF.

Thats what I thought too. Perfect example what you may not like in sci-fi. Interesting that you mention TOS BTW because Andromeda was originally a supposed sequel of TOS based on notes and ideas of the late Gene Rodemberry. However since he had no hands in Andromeda they messed up the whole thing in every possible manner ever. Through we must note that my and many Trek fans opinion is that TOS is the weaker of the Trek shows and many of its weaknesses are shared with Andromeda, its only that Andromeda magnify these weaknesses tenfold because of the idiotic people behind the show.

So I think you could blame Trek actually in many ways for sci-fis status.
Its also true for TNG to an extend. Problem with Trek is that its sometimes mind blowing and brilliant and sometimes fucking retarded. It changes more than once even in one series.

But whats damn sure is that Andromeda helped draging down sci-fis status with both hands and is an insult to every clever sci-fi show to even count them in the same genre.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
For once i agree with Josh Friedman
I wonder what the "incredibly clever" thing Summer did on the pilot was; maybe bending the head on the side like Cameron does when she doesn't understand an human behaviour. I should watch the pilot again.

I always believed that it has something to do with the inhuman yet balanced portrayal of Cameron. Maybe its not a coincidence that they changed Cameron's concept after the pilot. I imagine even they didn't expect Summer to be such an actor who could portray that balance well and went with the safer regular portrayal path e.g very humanlike robot. Then Summer once got too immersed in the role and started to play her in the way we know Cam today, maybe even unconsciously, and Friedman said that, " Girl if you are so good then i think we can push you even further and create a trully awesome character!"

And this is how Summer created the brilliant Cameron we know and love smile

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 08 Dec 2011, 02:25 | Message # 49
Quote (Blazius)
I always believed that it has something to do with the inhuman yet balanced portrayal of Cameron.

Obviously! My guess (probably not the good one though) is a perfect example of what you're describing.

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 08 Dec 2011, 03:06 | Message # 50
Quote (chrisdvanne)
My guess (probably not the good one though) is a perfect example of what you're describing.

Your guesses tend to turn to be right if I remember correctly tongue

Through even if we are not speaking as Summer fans how else could be that Friedman made an almost 180 degrees turn with Cameron suddenly after the pilot? Its not common that they do this unless if something horribly goes wrong or the very opposite( as in Camerons case but the first reason is much more common). Cameron wasn't exactly horrible in the pilot so I assume the change was because he found out that she could be done even better. I can't even think of another logical explanation right now.

FordStaffDate: Thursday, 08 Dec 2011, 03:16 | Message # 51
Also after I preached for a whole thread about how much Summer is a Hero for going through so many hardships and doing so much personal sacrifices and even trying to convince you of it I find it surprising that you want me to see how heroic is Summer smile I'm perfectly aware of that.

I would use the term strong and brave, over heroic. Heroism should involve helping others directly with severe consequences for the hero. A person saving someone from a burning building would be heroism, not bashing Summer, but calling her heroic is pushing it. There is no reason to expect Summer to be heroic, putting your life on the line for others (in a literal sense) is not necessary for being a great person. I view Summer as an artist not some type of philanthropist, there is nothing wrong with that.

Of course Summer should never be that ambitious and I'm exagarating on purpose here. My point is that producers will not always wait for Summer to decide if she feels grown up enough for the role to take. She should push for it with all her possible strength with every reasonable method not holding back like this.

Summer should have some ambition, it is not a sin until you overreach yourself, with her talent that is not going to happen.

I say again that this might not be what she wants and I'm not even sure what we'd want her to do. I'm just saying that if we dream about 3 blockbusters a year in this faulty system then this mindset is not very good. I don't want 3 blockbusters with her BTW. i'd want a high quality Tv show with her where she could show the full extend of her incredible talent and would last for 10 seasons at least. Or a KOTOR movie of course but not just some shitty, messed up idiocy which nowadays blockbusters are and in many aspects the SW prequels were. I want old GL or somebody competent make it at last.

Yes quality is far more important, but 10 seasons is a bit much for any one project. Having talented people tethered down for so long is not right, I am angry that Hugh Laurie is still stuck on "House", I want to see him in something else. I just hope she gets on a show that can end on its own terms. I would hate it if she got stuck on "Scent of the Missing" for 10 seasons, no matter how good the show is.

I always believed that it has something to do with the inhuman yet balanced portrayal of Cameron. Maybe its not a coincidence that they changed Cameron's concept after the pilot. I imagine even they didn't expect Summer to be such an actor who could portray that balance well and went with the safer regular portrayal path e.g very humanlike robot. Then Summer once got too immersed in the role and started to play her in the way we know Cam today, maybe even unconsciously, and Friedman said that, " Girl if you are so good then i think we can push you even further and create a trully awesome character!"

I would not be surprised at all if this were true. I would like to see some other actor make the seemingly least interesting character on a show, and turn that on its head. Not many would succeed.

Through we must note that my and many Trek fans opinion is that TOS is the weaker of the Trek shows and many of its weaknesses are shared with Andromeda, its only that Andromeda magnify these weaknesses tenfold because of the idiotic people behind the show.

I would think that TOS would get some slack, for legitimizing the SF genre (I am young, so this is true right?). It's main character trio is so damn entrenched that they are essentially character archetypes, even outside of the SF genre. From what I have read its third season it was granted after cancellation was pretty bad, so they cancelled it again. So at the very least it did not get away with bad quality, unlike many other shows such as Andromeda.

So I think you could blame Trek actually in many ways for sci-fis status.
Its also true for TNG to an extend. Problem with Trek is that its sometimes mind blowing and brilliant and sometimes fucking retarded. It changes more than once even in one series.

I do not think that would be entirely fair. At least ST had decent characters (I think?). I like to think the key to improving SF's predicament is strong characters, BSG and Firefly are perfect examples of space operas heavily defined by strong characters. SF has always had a stigma from the beginning, there is no one piece of work than can take credit.

Message edited by FordStaff - Thursday, 08 Dec 2011, 03:20

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 08 Dec 2011, 03:52 | Message # 52
Quote (FordStaff)
I do not think that would be entirely fair. At least ST had decent characters (I think?). I like to think the key to improving SF's predicament is strong characters, BSG and Firefly are perfect examples of space operas heavily defined by strong characters. SF has always had a stigma from the beginning, there is no one piece of work than can take credit.

Of course. I'm just saying that it isn't that highest form of perfection some people might tell. I love it for sure but it had faults, bad character archetypes, silly things like the big, talking rude oil monster who killed a main character sad

Of course sci-fi haters might use these moments to bash sci-fi of course disregarding the much more frequent brilliant parts. Its not a big problem actually until some stupid team( like Andromedas) think that thats the "core" of the show and that made it cool and repeat these same mistakes justify-ing all the bashing in the eyes of the common people.

Of course Treks responsibility is more indirect and I didn't want to sound too harsh because there is no need. I just only highlighted Trek, first because I wanted to clear some misconceptions, and secondly, Trek shows( maybe due to their length) are those shows which aren't that consistent in quality.

Quote (FordStaff)
I would think that TOS would get some slack, for legitimizing the SF genre (I am young, so this is true right?). It's main character trio is so damn entrenched that they are essentially character archetypes, even outside of the SF genre. From what I have read its third season it was granted after cancellation was pretty bad, so they cancelled it again. So at the very least it did not get away with bad quality, unlike many other shows such as Andromeda.

I'd say it made sci-fi on TV popular. Thats a great achievement on its own right and it deserves recognition for sure. However I think personally that TNG and DS9 or shows like Babylon 5 are suprassing it by a large margin despite that. Or even the movies minus The Motion Picture which is a failed attempt and I'd again warn anybody not to watch it.

The fact that it was axed shows that in those times Andromeda would never got more than 1 season at most and maybe only more clever shows would have survived. Those times they cared definitely more about quality IMO.

Quote (FordStaff)
I would use the term strong and brave, over heroic. Heroism should involve helping others directly with severe consequences for the hero. A person saving someone from a burning building would be heroism, not bashing Summer, but calling her heroic is pushing it. There is no reason to expect Summer to be heroic, putting your life on the line for others (in a literal sense) is not necessary for being a great person. I view Summer as an artist not some type of philanthropist, there is nothing wrong with that.

You can say that she made sacrifices to make her audience happier( she made me happier in a way for sure). That could be defined as a tiny bit of heroism I think.
But my point was indeed to praise her bravery and strength, thats true.

Quote (FordStaff)
Yes quality is far more important, but 10 seasons is a bit much for any one project. Having talented people tethered down for so long is not right, I am angry that Hugh Laurie is still stuck on "House", I want to see him in something else. I just hope she gets on a show that can end on its own terms. I would hate it if she got stuck on "Scent of the Missing" for 10 seasons, no matter how good the show is.

Well I'd prefer it to be a sci-fi smile

Also I just want her to have a long running show once. So she is able to show more of her skills and we could get our weekly Summer consistently at last. And Stargate was 10 season long too yet people love it from start to finish.

Message edited by Blazius - Thursday, 08 Dec 2011, 03:57

FordStaffDate: Thursday, 08 Dec 2011, 05:13 | Message # 53

Of course Treks responsibility is more indirect and I didn't want to sound too harsh because there is no need. I just only highlighted Trek, first because I wanted to clear some misconceptions, and secondly, Trek shows( maybe due to their length) are those shows which aren't that consistent in quality.

With the vast amount of material Star Trek has been through, I doubt any other Franchise could be consistently anything but bad.

I'd say it made sci-fi on TV popular. Thats a great achievement on its own right and it deserves recognition for sure. However I think personally that TNG and DS9 or shows like Babylon 5 are suprassing it by a large margin despite that.

Very important for TV science fiction, but it also sparked the largest SF franchise in terms of cultural recognition and amount of material. Granted Star Trek TOS is not a shining example of the best television shot, but it is pretty damn old. From what I have seen Television in general has been getting better over time in general, which would make sense. ST: TOS did not have the peers and experience of later shows like TNG DS9 and Babylon 5.

You can say that she made sacrifices to make her audience happier( she made me happier in a way for sure). That could be defined as a tiny bit of heroism I think.
But my point was indeed to praise her bravery and strength, thats true.

I grant that, as I said Summer is a great example of a human being in many many ways. I just reserve the term heroes for extreme cases, like people resisting oppression at the risk of bodily harm or saving others while risking bodily harm.

Well I'd prefer it to be a sci-fi smile

Also I just want her to have a long running show once. So she is able to show more of her skills and we could get our weekly Summer consistently at last. And Stargate was 10 season long too yet people love it from start to finish.

I have not seen Stargate, I do not like the concept or the length of the show. I like shows to run their concept and characters only to a certain point. It is different for every show, but there needs to be a line drawn in the sand somewhere, or the show overstays its welcome. Shows can not simultaneously go on for ever and have satisfying arcs. I absolutely loved Firefly, everything about it. I still would not want it to get endless amounts of seasons, I would prefer it have around 3-6 and even 5 would already be pushing it. I respect LOST for ending it at season 6 even though I absolutely hate the resolution of the mysteries.

I agree that Summer deserves a show that does not fall out from under her. If only Summer could get in a quasi SF show that hits it mainstream like LOST, that would have been an awesome show for Summer to have been in for recognition while still accomplishing her SF queen duties. Not that LOST was very SF, but it would still count. Side Note- I have never felt worse for any character in a show than John Locke in LOST, not even River since it is suggested she gets a better life after Serenity.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 08 Dec 2011, 09:32 | Message # 54
Quote (FordStaff)

Tv shows are not planned for 10 years anyway; the networks usually ask a show creator to have a 4/5 year schedule in mind for syndication reasons (say that a season has 22 episodes, a 4/5 year run allows to reach syndication numbers).

And your wishes will come true since Hugh Laurie said recently he thinks he's done with acting on television once House has completed its run (the current 8th season might be the last). But he is realistic and knows he won't have another hit like this so he will preferably work as a producer or writer or even make another blues album.

BlaziusDate: Friday, 09 Dec 2011, 02:38 | Message # 55
Quote (FordStaff)
Very important for TV science fiction, but it also sparked the largest SF franchise in terms of cultural recognition and amount of material. Granted Star Trek TOS is not a shining example of the best television shot, but it is pretty damn old. From what I have seen Television in general has been getting better over time in general, which would make sense. ST: TOS did not have the peers and experience of later shows like TNG DS9 and Babylon 5.

I have no info on what Americans thought about the show in the sixties. However its suspicious why it performed so poorly. It may have been a clever cult series with critical acclaim who had bad luck with the channel( like TSCC and Firefly). Or if we believe that it wasn't common back then then maybe it wasn't all that great but TNG, its successor became successful and ToS became overhyped retrospectively afterwards for being TNGs predecessor. And maybe it appealed to TNG audiences more than its viewers on the first run and they gave it iconic status.

Anyhow, its still responsible for spawning the Trek franchise the most defining Tv sci-fi franchise in history so it truly deserves recognition no matter what.

Quote (FordStaff)
I have not seen Stargate, I do not like the concept or the length of the show. I like shows to run their concept and characters only to a certain point. It is different for every show, but there needs to be a line drawn in the sand somewhere, or the show overstays its welcome. Shows can not simultaneously go on for ever and have satisfying arcs.

Interestingly Stargate followed an unique pattern. It started strong then became more and more awful bottoming at seasons 5-6 then it became strong again in seasons 7-8. Then they figured this is the end( they did a "farewell" episode too). Then they were renewed AGAIN. And surprisingly seasons 9-10 became the BEST seasons of the whole series and along with the subsequent movies they were the best Sg-1 material. But no it wasn't planned ahead to be 10 seasoned.

Another interesting example is Babylon 5. The creator Michael Straczynski wrote the full 5 seasons ahead and carefully planned it all even before any kind of production. Thats why it has a so perfect structure and so interesting and clever plot with very few plotholes. He however refused to continue it past season 5 even if it was popular. He said he wanted to tell this story, and thats all. Then he'll go back to writing books( interestingly he tried to produce 2 spinoffs afterwards,both failed and several movies some of which were brilliant, others were abysmal, speaking about which media personality keeps his word wink )

So I think there are good examples for both good long and good short series .

FordStaffDate: Friday, 09 Dec 2011, 02:50 | Message # 56
He said he wanted to tell this story, and thats all.

This is what I like. Tell the story with as little filler as possible. It depends quite a bit on the type of show, but for SF this is probably a good idea. This is not to say everything has to be meticulously planned out ahead of time, there should just be an ending in mind.

I have no info on what Americans thought about the show in the sixties. However its suspicious why it performed so poorly. It may have been a clever cult series with critical acclaim who had bad luck with the channel( like TSCC and Firefly).

What happened is that when ST: TOS aired they did not have the capability to get demographics, and so the ratings seemed poor. But soon they got that capability and then they realized that ST: TOS while not having a large rating, hit the best demographic males 20-35 (or something like that) exactly on the head. The demographics of the viewers is very very important for a show's survival, not just total viewers. The advertisers want a specific demographic and ST: TOS provided that demographic very well, that is why the show was revived, and then eventually spawned the new shows. I do not know if the show was mistreated like TSCC and Firefly (man firefly got it bad). I would not be surprised if TSCC and Firefly had problems with getting a unified demographic due to the nature of the shows.

Message edited by FordStaff - Friday, 09 Dec 2011, 02:54

BlaziusDate: Friday, 09 Dec 2011, 03:16 | Message # 57
Quote (FordStaff)
What happened is that when ST: TOS aired they did not have the capability to get demographics, and so the ratings seemed poor. But soon they got that capability and then they realized that ST: TOS while not having a large rating, hit the best demographic males 20-35 (or something like that) exactly on the head. The demographics of the viewers is very very important for a show's survival, not just total viewers. The advertisers want a specific demographic and ST: TOS provided that demographic very well, that is why the show was revived, and then eventually spawned the new shows. I do not know if the show was mistreated like TSCC and Firefly (man firefly got it bad). I would not be surprised if TSCC and Firefly had problems with getting a unified demographic due to the nature of the shows.

But it didn't get too far in itself apparently( only one more plus season)

According to Wikipedia during the original airing of TOS season 3 NBC placed it to the Friday night death slot and that caused it to fail.

Is this story familiar to somebody blink ?

Maybe Firefly and TSCC will become legends with time along with Summer Glau? biggrin

FordStaffDate: Friday, 09 Dec 2011, 03:31 | Message # 58
Maybe Firefly and TSCC will become legends with time

No, just no. Legendary is hard to achieve, the only SF on screen at that level is Star Trek and Star Wars. (and Doctor Who for the British? ) The things those have in common is mainstream acceptance and large amounts of material.

I would be glad if they have a presence on SF culture at all considering their cult nature and limited amounts of material. Luckily I think that the SF community is far more accepting of material that is good regardless of its following, at least more so than other communities.

I still do not understand why FOX put T:TSCC and Firefly into the Friday night death spot, considering they were shows they really wanted to give a chance, and pumped plenty of money into, both had things going for them. It is not as they gave them much chance, they were almost immediately shoved there. It just does not even make sense on the buisness end. Particularly Firefly's move, because that put it into a time slot competition with Farscape, the only other SF show on. Why the fuck would you split the SF audience unnecessarily, almost as stupid as not showing the pilot and airing shit out of order for no reason.

Message edited by FordStaff - Friday, 09 Dec 2011, 03:32

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 09 Dec 2011, 14:07 | Message # 59
I made a blog post but this could be used on the news page

The Elephant Project : Summer Glau still holds the record!

FermiDate: Friday, 09 Dec 2011, 15:53 | Message # 60
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I made a blog post but this could be used on the news page

It is awesome that Summer manage to raise so much money for the Alzheimers Association. I'm always hoping for someone to beat Summer on this record.

This is an old charity, and could therefore not be considered news for the main page.

You can't stop the signal!

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Submit a News or Article
Search: