menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau in 'Scent of the Missing' Pilot
Summer Glau in 'Scent of the Missing' Pilot
chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 27 Jan 2012, 16:28 | Message # 121
Group: Administrators
Watching The Legend of Hell's Gate had me worried about Summer's small screentime and i shared it on twitter, hoping that it wasn't the case on Scent of the Missing; Susannah Charleson found the words to cheer me up biggrin

@S_Charleson
Susannah Charleson
@chrisdvanne Summer brings a light, lovely touch to #scentofthemissing pilot. Luminous onscreen was my first thought.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 27 Jan 2012, 17:27

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 28 Jan 2012, 06:50 | Message # 122
Group: Friends
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Watching The Legend of Hell's Gate had me worried about Summer's small screentime and i shared it on twitter, hoping that it wasn't the case on Scent of the Missing; Susannah Charleson found the words to cheer me up

Nice to hear. Through I think reminding them of the facts that Summer needs no "warm up time" in non-scifi environment and that she can take on any role no matter how big would be a a good idea. At every possible opportunity. I'd hate if they wasted Summers talent by thinking that she couldn't do a big role( it sounds nonsensical).

I'd also remind them of Summers ability of doubling a shows quality( or thats an understatement?) and even bump their ratings. And that TSCCs and The Capes ratings went down after they underused Summer.

Just to be safe smile

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 08 Feb 2012, 00:54 | Message # 123
One of Summer Glau co-star, namely Eric Winter's dog partner Bolt is a superstar; indeed, he was featured in a new super bowl commercial for Volkswagen; the commercial followed Volkswagen's very famous ads with kid Darth Vader.

Here's Bolt's video and the making of :

And here are Eric Winter and Bolt on set of Scent of the Missing

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 08 Feb 2012, 01:51

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 15 Feb 2012, 16:04 | Message # 124
News about "Scent of the Missing" Pilot

We have collected titbits of informations about the "Scent of the Missing" Pilot starring Summer Glau, filmed in Louisiana last December.

The cast and crew screening of "Scent of the Missing" was held last week, on February 10th, meaning that it's in final stages of testing and decisions at TNT; first impressions are that it's great.

Susannah charleson is bound by professional secrecy as usual in this case (this is also why we have no production stills but only on set pictures so far) but she was kind enough to tell us more about Summer's scenes in the pilot :

Quote (Susannah Charleson)
I can tell you Summer is funny & charming in a scene based on a real oops! discovery Puzzle & I had on a search a year ago. :)

This is in addition to her previous comments :

Quote (Susannah Charleson)
Summer Glau had a pivotal story moment last night in wind & pouring rain. Beautiful connection between SAR handler & dog.

Summer brings a light, lovely touch to #scentofthemissing pilot. Luminous onscreen was my first thought.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 15 Feb 2012, 16:07

AlexDate: Wednesday, 15 Feb 2012, 16:41 | Message # 125
Group: Bloggers
Great news! Thanks for the update. It sounds like Susannah Charleson is very active in the show because she contributes story ideas. The book she wrote includes some stories but there is a lot of thoughtful analysis of the situations, the people who are lost, their loved ones, and the people who search. The reader learns a lot about the author, the dogs (Puzzle and the others). It is a good read. But there are only about six or seven actual searches. For this series, I believe that Susannah will be able to offer lots of real life experience.

It will be interesting to see how they balance this show between one extreme (search of the week - procedural) and the other which would be a deeper exploration of each character and the events that shape them. I think Summer would do well in either case (and everything in between).

I am really looking forward to this show. Thanks again for the update.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 15 Feb 2012, 20:25 | Message # 126
Quote (chrisdvanne)
News about "Scent of the Missing" Pilot

We have collected titbits of informations about the "Scent of the Missing" Pilot starring Summer Glau, filmed in Louisiana last December.

The cast and crew screening of "Scent of the Missing" was held last week, on February 10th, meaning that it's in final stages of testing and decisions at TNT; first impressions are that it's great.

Susannah charleson is bound by professional secrecy as usual in this case (this is also why we have no production stills but only on set pictures so far) but she was kind enough to tell us more about Summer's scenes in the pilot :

Sounds good so far, Summer has nice scenes in the pilot as it seems, the more such scenes she has the better. Hope they kept her busy.

Quote (Alex)
It will be interesting to see how they balance this show between one extreme (search of the week - procedural) and the other which would be a deeper exploration of each character and the events that shape them. I think Summer would do well in either case (and everything in between).

Well, Summer is always perfect in every role but she is even better if she gets deep and fleshed out characters who are complex because thats when she can demonstrate the full extend of her talent. Of course she'll alone make the show super awesome in either case provided she has sufficient screentime.

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 15 Feb 2012, 20:48 | Message # 127
As i explained in my last post in the "Have the networks given up on serialized scifi shows?" thread, most networks have abandonned the serialized format (seen in LOST or The Event) in favor of a procedural format with some serialized elements pushed back in the end of each episode (as in Alphas, Terra Nova, Alcatraz); this is a heavy trend nowadays.

Scent of the Missing is by design a procedural (the Search of the Week), there is no overarching mystery out there. But of course each character will come with a past; how much the writers will use these elements and shape the interactions between each characters i don't know.

One simple hint would be to look at the type of tv show TNT is looking for; don't forget that their tag line is "We know drama". I'm sure that "Scent of the Missing" will be have many emotional scenes and i hope Summer Glau will have it's share of emotionally charged scenes because she masters those scenes perfectly.

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 15 Feb 2012, 21:11 | Message # 128
Quote (chrisdvanne)
As i explained in my last post in the "Have the networks given up on serialized scifi shows?" thread, most networks have abandonned the serialized format (seen in LOST or The Event) in favor of a procedural format with some serialized elements pushed back in the end of each episode (as in Alphas, Terra Nova, Alcatraz); this is a heavy trend nowadays.

Scent of the Missing is by design a procedural (the Search of the Week), there is no overarching mystery out there. But of course each character will come with a past; how much the writers will use these elements and shape the interactions between each characters i don't know.

Yeah, it won't be made of overarching stories most like but I think they could still do complex compelling characters if they really try.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
One simple hint would be to look at the type of tv show TNT is looking for; don't forget that their tag line is "We know drama". I'm sure that "Scent of the Missing" will be have many emotional scenes and i hope Summer Glau will have it's share of emotionally charged scenes because she masters those scenes perfectly.

I hope they realize especially with their ambitious tag line that Summer is the master of emotional, dramatic scenes and they give her the opportunity to elevate their show with her yet another legendary performances. They found gold, the question is whether they realize it or not( they only need to choose one of the many Summer shows or movies and watch a few scenes to realize this BTW)

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 15 Feb 2012, 21:25 | Message # 129
Quote (Blazius)
I hope they realize especially with their ambitious tag line that Summer is the master of emotional, dramatic scenes and they give her the opportunity to elevate their show with her yet another legendary performances. They found gold, the question is whether they realize it or not( they only need to choose one of the many Summer shows or movies and watch a few scenes to realize this BTW)

I shall do something to help them realise it in the following days.

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 15 Feb 2012, 21:32 | Message # 130
Quote (chrisdvanne)

Great! My opinion is that you can't help people enough to realize truths. They need a constant, effective reminder of that. The truth is beneficial to everybody BTW so it must be realized at all costs.

KrelleKDate: Sunday, 22 Apr 2012, 17:05 | Message # 131
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I can tell you Summer is funny & charming in a scene based on a real oops! discovery Puzzle & I had on a search a year ago. :)

I wonder what it is for a kind of oooppss moment they refer too biggrin

Quote (chrisdvanne)

Please tell. biggrin

Quote (Blazius)

Yep they sure have struck pure gold with asking Summer to be part of it, I too, hope they know it biggrin

Message edited by KrelleK - Sunday, 22 Apr 2012, 17:06

chrisdvanne_Date: Sunday, 22 Apr 2012, 17:26 | Message # 132
Quote (KrelleK)
Please tell.

This is a project that should be unveiled on May, if everything goes well.

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 08 May 2012, 18:57 | Message # 133
TNT UpFronts should be next week and we should know if the channel has decided to pick up Scent of the Missing as a serie; UpFronts are when the networks (broadcast or cable) announce to advertisers which shows are being renewed and which pilots are going to series.

UPDATE 1 : TNT has passed on its western drama pilot "Tin Star".

Quote (Deadline)
The move comes after TNT brass screened the network’s three completed pilots – Tin Star, Monday Mornings (aka Chelsea General) and Scent Of The Missing. TNT is not expected to make series pickups today, but Monday Mornings had been the clear frontrunner, with the search-and-rescue drama Scent Of The Missing also in serious contention. Tin Star was shot last fall. TNT did not make a decision when the pilot was delivered, instead opting to wait for its other pilots. TNT’s fourth pilot of the current batch, Frank Darabont’s L.A. Noir, is still filming.

UPDATE 2 : TNT Orders David E. Kelley's Medical Drama "Monday Mornings" to Series

Set at the fictional Chelsea General Hospital in Portland, Ore., Monday Mornings follows the lives of doctors as they push the limits of their abilities and confront their personal and professional failings.
The medical drama stars Ving Rhames (Pulp Fiction), Alfred Molina (Spider-Man 2, TNT's The Company), Jamie Bamber (Battlestar Galactica), Jennifer Finnigan (Better With You), Bill Irwin (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation), Keong Sim (Glee), Sarayu Rao (Lions f or Lambs), and Emily Swallow (TNT's Southland).

Side notes :
  • any similarity with Grey's Anatomy is purely coincidental tongue
  • Ving Rhames as a doctor in TNT's new medical drama Monday Mornings is as credible as me as a ballet dancer tongue

High profile L.A. Noir, the new pilot from former Walking Dead showrunner Frank Darabont, starring former Heroes Milo Ventimiglia and Scent of The Missing are still in the race. Let's hope TNT liked the two pilots enough to pick them both as series.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 09 May 2012, 03:35

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 11 May 2012, 10:11 | Message # 134
Scent of the Missing may not be competing with L.A. Noir as my previous comment suggested, TNT may review the pilot separately from the other :

Here's what Deadline's article says :

Meanwhile, Frank Darabont’s period pilot L.A. Noir is still filming. It will be evaluated on its own as a potential Sunday genre show for the network, which airs sci-fi drama Falling Skies on the night, and not with Scent and the group of procedural pilots TNT plans to order.

That's a good sign.

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 15 May 2012, 23:22 | Message # 135
Bad news, we might have to wait a little longer to find out if Scent of the Missing is picked up.

Tricia Helfer tweeted this today :

Tricia Helfer ‏ @trutriciahelfer
@chrisdvanne Unfortunately we're going to have to wait longer to find out now. Possibly end of June.

This may be due to the fact that TNT plans to shoot a few more procedural pilots and will make a decision after seeing all of them (L.A. Noir will be evaluated on its own, see previous post). That also means that SotM was not strong enough by itself so that it would have been picked up immediately.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau in 'Scent of the Missing' Pilot
Search: