[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 3 of 13«123451213»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau in 'Scent of the Missing' Pilot
Summer Glau in 'Scent of the Missing' Pilot
chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 02 Nov 2011, 18:25 | Message # 31
Group: Administrators
It must be a hard choice for her because she looses her "sci-fi queen" crown when entering the world of Cop shows but i' agre this is the right choice, considering the dead-end that is sci-fi these days.
It saddens a lot of her fans (me included) because we're all are huge fans of sci-fi and this is where we got to meet her; i'm not sure a lot of us will watch her in 'Scent of the Missing' if it comes as a serie.
All these comments online, from internet users or from bloggers, underlining the reunion of "Number Six and River Tam" are not appropriate; these are comments from sci-fi geeks like me but one has to realise that both Tricia and Summer have moved on.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 02 Nov 2011, 18:58 | Message # 32
Group: Friends
I think for Summer to actually get more 'mature roles' as she said in one of her interviews during the production of the Cape, she does have to break away from the scifi world and the characters she's been known to play.

Science Fiction roles can be plenty mature. In fact any role in the more mainstream cop drama shows should work perfectly fine in a science fictions setting. Hell, one of Isaac Assimov's best books is a murder detective story (with robots of course). The problem with science fiction is hardly maturity. In fact Science fiction as a genre may have some problems, but the vast majority of them have nothing to do with the science fiction or even the shows themselves, and more to do with the masses of people who are simply not willing to watch a show that is actually imaginative.

All these comments online, from internet users or from bloggers, underlining the reunion of "Number Six and River Tam" are not appropriate; these are comments from sci-fi geeks like me but one has to realise that both Tricia and Summer have moved on.

How are they inappropriate? Those are very definitive roles for those actors. Science fiction does seem to have a thing for never letting go of characters (partly because characters in science fiction can be more imaginative). It is not as if River is to the level of Kirk or Spock.

It must be a hard choice for her because she looses her "sci-fi queen" crown when entering the world of Cop shows but i' agre this is the right choice, considering the dead-end that is sci-fi these days.
It saddens a lot of her fans (me included) because we're all are huge fans of sci-fi and this is where we got to meet her; i'm not sure a lot of us will watch her in 'Scent of the Missing' if it comes as a serie.

Those who are science fiction fans and Summer fans simultaneously knew all along this bitter-sweet day may come. It is a necessary step to further her career so we should accept it, although I would prefer that Science Fiction lose its stigma as a genre instead so there would not have to be such a choice (probably not going to happen though). I hope that she will still keep one foot in science fiction so to speak, while furthering her career with more mainstream genres.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 02 Nov 2011, 19:54 | Message # 33
Group: Administrators
Quote (FordStaff)
How are they inappropriate?

Sorry, "inappropriate" is not the appropriate word (French, remember?); let's say it's delusional. I'm very attached to Summer Glau as Cameron but i realise at the same time Summer has to move on on her career. Fan fiction is a way to continue the dream (i have a plan myself to continue it).

Also all the comments online about "eye-candy" upset me; Summer is 30 and Tricia is 37 for God's sake. Even if they're pretty, i would not call them eye-candy. Scent of the Missing is not Charlie's Angel (or i misunderstood something).

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 02 Nov 2011, 20:11 | Message # 34
Sorry, "inappropriate" is not the appropriate word (French, remember?); let's say it's delusional. I'm very attached to Summer Glau as Cameron but i realise at the same time Summer has to move on on her career.

To be fair I doubt nearly as much comment on each actors past science fiction career would be made were it not for the fact that they are simultaneously in the same new show. Each played a prominent and strange role in their respective shows. Shows that were somewhat similar in more ways than being Science Fiction (fun fact Serenity shows up in the background of the BSG miniseries when Roslin gets her diagnosis). I simply do not see how it is inappropriate considering the circumstances. If it were just one or the other in the show then it might be strange.

Also all the comments online about "eye-candy" upset me; Summer is 30 and Tricia is 37 for God's sake. Even if they're pretty, i would not call them eye-candy. Scent of the Missing is not Charlie's Angel (or i misunderstood something).

That upsets me not because of their age, but because eye-candy has a negative connotation. Is it right to consider actors eye-candy when they are young? I can find it appropriate if an actor is clearly being used in such a way. For example Summer's role in Chuck was almost primarily for eye-candy (and references to firefly). River is on the other end of the spectrum never used for eye-candy (not sure, but I am confident with never).

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 02:33 | Message # 35
My favorite genre is and always will be science fiction. I rarely watch anything what isn't science fiction. And I think that the most epic, clever, spectacular, fantastic and amusing stories are in science fiction. But lets face it the ship of the science fiction genre is sinking. First with the dying out of the space based ones and now with all the rest.

I say Summer is unlucky that she became sci-fi queen, the symbol of a dying genre. But she can and is willing to conquer in other genres too which is a clever and necessary thing to do.

The loss of sci-fi will be a huge loss anyway so if Summer can at least survive and succeed that would make up for the loss for me.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaffDate: Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 02:48 | Message # 36
I say Summer is unlucky that she became sci-fi queen, the symbol of a dying genre. But she can and is willing to conquer in other genres too which is a clever and necessary thing to do.

Science Fiction is not going to die out. It is certainly petering but there will be glorious periods in the future when this is not so. Whether science fiction can ever gain secure footing is uncertain, but it will always have some sort of presence. At this time the presence is meager, but I await the return of some good SF.

Had Summer started in some other genre she would never have became the queen of anything, that is quite certain. It is not too late for her to branch out so I could hardly call her science fiction success unlucky.

And I think that the most epic, clever, spectacular, fantastic and amusing stories are in science fiction.

Science Fiction genre has the tools in its arsenal to have any thing other shows can have (character development, humor etc. etc.), but with far more potential for the imagination. The excuse that SF can not have the same quality in departments such as characterization and other things is mute when we have quite a few SF shows demonstrating that they can do such things as good as dramas. I suppose the weakness is that fiction in the SF genre generally requires some concepts that if not sufficiently convincing in execution can be quite distracting.

Message edited by FordStaff - Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 02:50

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 03:06 | Message # 37
Quote (FordStaff)
Had Summer started in some other genre she would never have became the queen of anything, that is quite certain.

And why is that exactly? She was quite brilliant in Deadly Honeymoon too for example so she is brilliant everywhere.

Quote (FordStaff)
Science Fiction genre has the tools in its arsenal to have any thing other shows can have (character development, humor etc. etc.), but with far more potential for the imagination. The excuse that SF can not have the same quality in departments such as characterization and other things is mute when we have quite a few SF shows demonstrating that they can do such things as good as dramas. I suppose the weakness is that fiction in the SF genre generally requires some concepts that if not sufficiently convincing in execution can be quite distracting.

Agreed. You can mix many things into sci-fi and can have stories in a far greater variety than in other genres. And the fantastic elements are only making every story even more interesting.

FordStaffDate: Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 03:17 | Message # 38
And why is that exactly? She was quite brilliant in Deadly Honeymoon too for example so she is brilliant everywhere.

Because there is no one who can be the queen of other genres besides science fiction (and it certainly would not be Summer if there was --- this is not an insult to her talent which I endorse at every opportunity, but it just would not match). It has simply never happened. The science fiction fan base is quite different from most genres and seem much more loyal than most fandoms, thus making it the genre that one can actually become a queen of even with a few excellent roles. I can not imagine someone being crowned the queen of cop procedurals.

FordStaffDate: Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 03:23 | Message # 39
I should also add that having iconic characters in Science Fiction is considerably easier than in other genres for numerous reasons from the nature of the genre to the nature of the fans. Summer has two iconic characters in Science Fiction something that would be hard to imitate in say a cop procedural. I can not name a single iconic cop procedural character despite the fact that it is very mainstream and common. Yet almost anyone has a general idea or at least recognizes the names of say Kirk, Spock, Picard (well okay can not think of any non Trek examples)

Notice that both characters that were main cast and iconic in science fiction that were played by Summer were characters not easily possible in mainstream genres. Perhaps River to an extent, but there would certainly be some things missing unless it was fantasy which is in even shoddier condition than Science Fiction on television. Cameron would clearly be almost ridiculously impossible to imitate in mainstream genres.

I mention this because it is no coincidence that both characters are iconic to an extent and also very distant from the general human experience in the real world. Had she played a normal human girl on Firefly all things considered it is doubtful she would have been nearly the ensemble dark-horse that she was (to be fair River's dark-horse nature was likely very intentional for the first season along with a slow rise to prominence that never happened angry , well sorta in the movie).

She simply would not have risen to such prominence in any other genre and it is fair to say she is quite lucky for it to have happened even if it was Science Fiction. After all she could have had less prominent or iconic roles as a normal human in the same shows she was on and then she would not only not be the queen of SF, but also have made the mistake of acting in SF (not that I mind the mistake) biggrin .

Message edited by FordStaff - Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 03:35

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 03:52 | Message # 40
Well, I think its a bit relative who is an iconic character and who is not. Spocks name may be instantly recognized in a sci-fi oriented crowd but not necessarily in a crowd which knows nothing of sci-fi.

Besides I don't think there aren't iconic or at least remembered characters in other genres.

And I found Summers performance just as appealing in other genres as in sci-fi, so chances are she would make any character remembered in any other genres too just like in sci-fi especially if she can show her talent and the audience of such shows appreciate talent as much as sci-fi audience.

FordStaffDate: Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 04:20 | Message # 41
Well, I think its a bit relative who is an iconic character and who is not. Spocks name may be instantly recognized in a sci-fi oriented crowd but not necessarily in a crowd which knows nothing of sci-fi.

Well of course. But I am almost certain many non sci-fi crowd will not only recognize Spock's name, but may possibly even know his general characteristics and or race. River and Cameron are certainly no where near the level of Spock, but from within the sci-fi crowd it is likely that most will at least have a general idea (perhaps only because there is a small pool of sci-fi shows to begin with).

Besides I don't think there aren't iconic or at least remembered characters in other genres.

I did not mean to suggest that. After all there is Sherlock Holmes one of the most iconic characters of all time who belongs to the mystery genre (He is to the point of being so iconic that he can be the inspiration for other iconic characters -- House). I think considering that science fiction has far less of a pool than other genres to pull from, still has a considerable amount of iconic characters either from the standpoint of the sci-fi crowd or general public.

I would not say it is just coincidence, the SF genre is merely more ripe for iconic characters. As I said both of Summers iconic characters are very influenced by the SF genre to the point of being almost impossible to transfer to other genres (particularly mainstream ones). After all SF has far more options for their characters by the nature of the genre. Sure in a cop procedural you could have a psychopath with no emotions who acts in similar ways to Cameron, but you can not also give that character a metal chassis, time travel capabilities, and the ability to be shut down like you can to characters in Science Fiction (characters get more epic moments in science fiction to boot).

Of note is that the genre to create undoubtedly the most vast amount of iconic characters from any point of view is comics. I doubt you could find many who could not name numerous superheroes and villains from across multiple separate comics. Comic characters share the same characteristics that I claim make SF characters more iconic. They are characters who do not operate in the normal realm of human experience. Even those who have not read but snips if that of a single comic could know endless characters who are all iconic (I would be one such person).

And I found Summers performance just as appealing in other genres as in sci-fi, so chances are she would make any character remembered in any other genres too just like in sci-fi especially if she can show her talent and the audience of such shows appreciate talent as much as sci-fi audience.

I have no doubt that Summer's talent would be beyond sufficient in other genres, after all one of her strongest skills (displaying emotion) is very transcendent of any single genre. I never meant to insinuate otherwise. It just does not matter how well she acts if she is in show formats that simply will not create memorable characters. To be the queen of something you will have to create icons within that genre. I do not think mainstream genres even from within have nearly as many icons as SF. With that in mind I find it difficult to believe that Summer could ever have been the Queen of anything but Sci-fi. Not because of her acting skill, but from the nature of mainstream genres themselves.

Message edited by FordStaff - Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 04:34

ChrisDate: Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 05:04 | Message # 42
I'm excited that Summer is getting another chance to show case her talents, she wont be the lead role in the show, will she steal the light from the other actors in the show probably even as River Tam when she was just the quirky girl she grabbed your attention when ever she said or did something it certainly wont hurt the show to have more then 1 character that people want to follow fingers crossed that the show gets picked up and we get a long run, unless they bring back TSCC although she probably could manage to do both shows I wouldn't complain if it happened. biggrin

FordStaffDate: Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 05:26 | Message # 43
River Tam when she was just the quirky girl she grabbed your attention when ever she said or did something

As I said above, River Tam was likely designed intentionally to be an ensemble dark-horse just to fit her character arc. At first she was meant to be a background character who could still capture our attention with just single one liners and strange actions. Clearly River Tam was meant to develop in the series into a more prominent character and even in the time they had there were some really River laden moments (mostly in conjunction with Simon, but "Objects In Space" was likely just a taste of what River would offer over the series). It fits the birth (and or rebirth) metaphor from her entrance into the show. At first she does not do much and is disoriented slowly becoming more proactive.

In the pilot she could not even compose herself at any point and was crying while at gunpoint. Later when in danger like in "Safe" she is no longer crying but rather nonchalant and pretty much does absolutely nothing even right before being burned. This can be justified by the fact that she knows Mal is coming to save them, although of note is when she follows Simon after the dance scene and gets caught she is still somewhat nonchalant despite the fact that at this point she would have no reason to think anyone was coming for them. This nonchalant attitude in danger seems somewhat common throughout the series (except the pilot) until something with the medical room or academy or her dreams is involved at which point she is just emotional.

Further development is shown in "Ariel" when she actively, but barely participates in a failed attempt to free herself from danger (she is picking the lock of her cuffs, barely even noticeable to fit the gradual growth). It is hardly consistent for her to be proactive at this point and the nonchalant attitude still holds supreme when she is not emotional even as she guns down the three men. Then of course the most development is shown in "Objects in Space" when she actually achieves a plan combining many skills such as coherent intelligent thought, mind reading, and operation of a space ship she has never been in.

The unfortunate part about the movie is that we never get to see another one of River's schemes (oddly we do get to see another of Simon's though; the Tam's are quite the schemers possibly even the parents) as she is to busy merely beating the shit out of things (not a bad thing in itself) or driven insane from revelation rather than formulating plans. At least the movie does bring the birth/rebirth metaphor full circle very subtlety at the end which is a nice touch, even if it was easily foreseeable and essentially mandatory based on River's entrance to the show.

Message edited by FordStaff - Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 06:06

termi-ninja-torDate: Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 18:18 | Message # 44
One of my favorite River scenes is from Shindig, where she mimics Badger on the ship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avFZw3zHo4w

Summer is so cute in this!

DevoDate: Saturday, 05 Nov 2011, 01:05 | Message # 45
Cool!

Happy that she is getting a chance to do a standard drama rather than more genre, as much as I love genre.

And she gets a puppydog? Ausum!

Gerald McRaney is also awesome in every show I have seen him in since Simon & Simon. biggrin He was great in Jericho and as George Hearst in Deadwood.

Go Summer! cool

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau in 'Scent of the Missing' Pilot
Page 3 of 13«123451213»
Search: