menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Joss Whedon's secret Shakespeare movie.
Joss Whedon's secret Shakespeare movie.
chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 26 Oct 2011, 16:31 | Message # 16
Group: Administrators
FordStaff said somewhere in the forum that Joss Whedon will maybe break the general rules of Hollywood by working for small projects, whereas he could simply move on with other blockbusters. Much to my surprise, it may be the case.

After he had done Dr. Horrible​’s Sing-Along Blog back in 2008, Joss Whedon is planning to produce another web serie called Wastelanders. He is supposed to start this end-of-the-world project after he's done with The Avengers.

Joss Whedon says :
I really want to make something tiny. You know, get back on the Internet. Just something really home-baked.
I’ll say this about it…there ain’t no singing. It’s a dark piece, and I’m just like, ‘Gosh, well, if I’m going to finance this and put it together, it’s kind of dangerous.’ It’s not going to have a soundtrack album, it’s not going to have all these revenue streams. It’s going to be something that I put out there because I feel like I have to, and I don’t have to rely on anybody else to let me.

EW, who report the news, is as surprised as i am and ask : "But as a TV creator and tentpole director, why bother with Internet shorts?".

To what Whedon answers :
Right now, it's the punk rock of filmmaking,and I want to be a part of that.

We'll see...

Source : EW

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FordStaffDate: Thursday, 27 Oct 2011, 02:45 | Message # 17
Group: Friends
FordStaff said somewhere in the forum that Joss Whedon will maybe break the general rules of Hollywood by working for small projects, whereas he could simply move on with other blockbusters. Much to my surprise, it may be the case.

I was hoping that he would break the rules of Hollywood with his Blockbusters also. That is probably expecting too much though, but I will certainly hope. This certainly helps establish that Joss Whedon will not just fall in line and take the typical paths though.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

chrisdvanne_Date: Thursday, 27 Oct 2011, 09:39 | Message # 18
Quote (FordStaff)
I was hoping that he would break the rules of Hollywood with his Blockbusters also. That is probably expecting too much though, but I will certainly hope. This certainly helps establish that Joss Whedon will not just fall in line and take the typical paths though.

The funny thing is that we were trying to guess his moves after The Avengers and the recent news gives us more to think about. Clearly it does not go into the direction i had anticipated (though it would not have had my preference) . I must say that The Wastelanders project is old news, it was only postponed because of The Avengers.

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 02 Nov 2011, 10:30 | Message # 19
Now we know a little more about the pattern Josh whedon is going to follow; he will continue to self-produce movie through its micro-studio Bellweather Pictures, which also did Much Ado about Anything.

Deadline reports JW will make a supernatural romance (??) called In Your Eyes. They say the film is a metaphysical love story about two completely different individuals who are deeply connected in a way that neither can understand.

JW wrote the script but Brin Hill will direct the movie (shoothing begins in February 2012). JW says about it :

When I wrote In Your Eyes, I didn’t have the wherewithal (or the moxie) to make it without an established production house,” Whedon wrote in a statement. “I believe, as I did then, that it’s a pretty timeless romance, and now, with the creation of Bellwether Pictures (and Brin Hill’s elegant, passionate take on the piece), I have the opportunity to prove it. (I also have a 37% increase in moxie.) I love this team and I can’t wait to see them bring In Your Eyes to life.”

Will this movie feature another bunch of Whedon alumni? Maybe, considering the budget should be relatively small (it's an indie movie after all) but you can forget about Sarah Michelle Gellar though. Brin Hill's 2007 film Waitress included Nathan Fillion for example.

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 02 Nov 2011, 11:05 | Message # 20
Will this movie feature another bunch of Whedon alumni? Maybe

Has Whedon even done any such projects without some alumni? I think it is pretty safe to assume there will be at least one if not more. The interesting part is whether we are gonna see Summer in more Whedon projects in the future. I have not seen enough of the Whedonverse to know whether it is something to want in on, although firefly was enough for me to give anything Whedon at least a glimpse even if it is not my thing.

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 02 Nov 2011, 12:39 | Message # 21
Quote (FordStaff)
Has Whedon even done any such projects without some alumni? I think it is pretty safe to assume there will be at least one if not more.

And why is that so? Partly because most of them are not a-listers, unlike Sarah Michelle Gellar in some way (she makes $90 000 an episode in CW's Ringer), so that their fees are not high. Nathan Fillion is a big star on tv (he makes more than $100 000 per episode) but relatively unknow in the movie business. More, since JW wanted a total blackout on Much Ado, he hired exclusively friends.
But he is not dumb enough to hire them in blockbusters (i hope future will prove me wrong though).

You'll notice JW is not directing himself In Your Eyes, he wrote the script and will be an executive producer. Probably because he won't have the time to do it when The Avengers will start turning up the heat.

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 02 Nov 2011, 12:52 | Message # 22
And why is that so? Partly because most of them are not a-listers

Surely it is also because he knows them and they know him (and presumably enjoy each others company). Not to mention some of his recurring actors, while not a-listers are as good as it gets acting wise (Summer Glau would be a good example).

Nathan Fillion is a big star on tv (he makes more than $100 000 per episode)

I had no idea this was so, but I can not say I am displeased.

But he is not dumb enough to hire them in blockbusters (i hope future will prove me wrong though).

Here is to hoping Joss Whedon will be sufficiently dumb then biggrin .

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 02 Nov 2011, 12:53

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 22:27 | Message # 23
Joss Whedon talks about his version of Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing, among other things at http://rookiemag.com.
The article includes exclusives pictures of Amy Acker, Alexis Denisof or Fran Kranz in the movie.

Amy Acker and Alexis Denisof in Much Ado About Nothing

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 13 Jan 2012, 01:36 | Message # 24
"The Cabin in The Woods" to open the SXSW 2012 Film Festival, held in Austin, Texas on March 9-17 2012.

joss Whedon also revealed that he will participate in a “Conversation” panel at the SXSW Film Conference on Saturday, March 10.

The Cabin in The Woods

REGDate: Friday, 27 Apr 2012, 09:52 | Message # 25
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Will this movie feature another bunch of Whedon alumni? Maybe

Quote (FordStaff)
Has Whedon even done any such projects without some alumni? I think it is pretty safe to assume there will be at least one if not more. The interesting part is whether we are gonna see Summer in more Whedon projects in the future. I have not seen enough of the Whedonverse to know whether it is something to want in on, although firefly was enough for me to give anything Whedon at least a glimpse even if it is not my thing.

i am on the other side of the fence. i have been a Whedon fan since the days of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the spin off Angel. i also loved Firefly and Serenity, Dollhouse (i still haven't seen season 2). and then there are the movies that he was involved in. Alien: Resurrection is the only one that sticks out to me. i know he did Toy Story but i still haven't seen it.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
And why is that so? Partly because most of them are not a-listers

Quote (FordStaff)
Surely it is also because he knows them and they know him (and presumably enjoy each others company). Not to mention some of his recurring actors, while not a-listers are as good as it gets acting wise (Summer Glau would be a good example).

QFT biggrin

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 27 Apr 2012, 12:06 | Message # 26
I think it's interesting to mention those movies, Much Ado About Nothing, The Cabin in The Woods, The Avengers and a few others, not only because of the films themselves, but rather because of what we could learn about the path Whedon is following and if Summer would be part of it.

ThierryDate: Friday, 27 Apr 2012, 12:59 | Message # 27
Actually it is really hard to make a movie based upon Shakespeare's plays, and that's not the kind of blockbuster that interests Hollywood... There are very few directors who did it well, excepted Orson Welles and Kenneth Branagh and the plays produced by BBC during the 1970s and the 1980s (but that was more filmed-on-stage than movies.

I am wondering what the result would be with Joss Whedon, his whole work has sometimes a shakespearian inspiration....
But that's not necessary to have made a stay in Stratford-upon-Avon and to be (or not to be) a Old Vic Theater fan to make a masterpiece!

I think Summer would be perfect for some Shakeskpeare's characters, like for example Hamlet's Ophelia, or... a character in A MidSummer Night's Dream wink

By the way, there is an excellent book which summarizes Shakespeare's plays :
Tales from Shakespeare, by Charles & Mary Lamb, published in 1807 but easily available, still today.

So much grace is beautiful and peaceful for the mind and the eyes.

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 28 Apr 2012, 00:15 | Message # 28
Quote (Thierry)
Actually it is really hard to make a movie based upon Shakespeare's plays, and that's not the kind of blockbuster that interests Hollywood... There are very few directors who did it well, excepted Orson Welles and Kenneth Branagh and Franco Zeffirelli

After Romeo and Juliet from 1968 its pointless to make any other movie about that play since that version is perfect. Its also made in such a way that despite the time difference both considering the actual play and the movie, it still rocks in 2012.

Same can be said of his Hamlet. I had a hard time figuring out if I'm actually watching a Shakespeare drama or an intense fantasy movie, it was that exciting IMO.

They are adaptations but IMO the guy was such a genius that they are valid as movies on their own right( no I'm not a fanboy biggrin )

Quote (Thierry)
I think Summer would be perfect for some Shakeskpeare's characters, like for example Hamlet's Ophelia, or... a character in A MidSummer Night's Dream

Interesting. I thought about Ophelia too when I thought about Summer in a Shakespeare role.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
and if Summer would be part of it.

Thats one of our highest priority questions IMO.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

REGDate: Saturday, 28 Apr 2012, 02:31 | Message # 29
Quote (Thierry)
I think Summer would be perfect for some Shakeskpeare's characters, like for example Hamlet's Ophelia, or... a character in A MidSummer Night's Dream wink

Quote (Blazius)
Interesting. I thought about Ophelia too when I thought about Summer in a Shakespeare role.

i have not read Hamlet's Ophelia or really know anything about it. i just looked it up on wikipedia and i can see how Summer would be perfect for the role. the part about "sings some "mad" and bawdy songs". Summer has played psychologically damaged characters well and i can see the similarity in the Ophelia character. so yes i agree that Summer would be perfect for the role.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

ramboDate: Tuesday, 21 Aug 2012, 16:38 | Message # 30
Group: Blocked
I am a big fan of Shakespeare and it's stories. And this movie is based on his story which is really good and interesting.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Joss Whedon's secret Shakespeare movie.
Search: