[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 7 of 7«12567
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » The Cape interviews and articles
The Cape interviews and articles
chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011, 08:21 | Message # 91
Group: Administrators
First review of the two-DVD set of The Cape, by Billy O'Keefe for The Sacramento Bee.

"The Cape: The Complete Series" (NR, 2011, Universal)

A lot of really good shows start off as slightly confused shows, and while there's no way to know if "The Cape" was destined for excellence, the possibility certainly was there. "The Cape" gets its name from the titular lead character (David Lyons), whose police career (to say nothing of his life as a husband and father) gets upended when he's mistaken for Chess (James Frain), a masked supervillain whose alter ego happens to be the most powerful man in Palm City. A group of carnies and magicians (led by Keith David as Max Malini) helps him capitalize on his new identity by giving him powers, a mysterious technophile (Summer Glau) gives him access to the city's underground, and just like that, The Cape is taking on a rogue's gallery of villains while aiming for the top of the ladder and a return to his former life.

That's a lot to make sense of with only nine episodes in which to make sense of it, and perhaps sensing the grasp of premature cancellation, "The Cape" feels rushed in some spots and a bit confused in others. But even at its messiest, there's fun to be had in the lines the show draws between comedy and drama as well as between fantasy and reality. The rivalry between Chess and The Cape grows in fits and starts and occasionally runs in circles, but it goes places, and it's a bummer that the impatient nature of network television never gave us a chance to see where the whole thing was headed.

Contents: Nine episodes, no extras.

Overall i would say this is a positive review for The Cape. Strangely though, the writer mentions nine and not ten episodes.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 10 Jul 2012, 06:39 | Message # 92
The Cape is available on Netflix (not available in all countries though).

The1RussterDate: Tuesday, 10 Jul 2012, 19:26 | Message # 93
Group: Writer
The reason he probably mentions "9" episodes is because NBC only broadcast the first 9 electing to air the 10th episode via the internet. I have been told by someone who bought the DVD that all ten episodes are on the disc(s). It's unfortunate that NBC cancelled the order for the final 3 episodes which considering they were going to cancel the show, the episodes could have been used to complete the series instead of leaving it open ended. Even in a not-so-good-but-I-like-it program, people want closure. I could have lived with 13 episodes, even bought the DVD, if the series was brought to a decent conclusion. As it is, I'll keep to my digital recordings and if I spot The Cape in the bargain bin at Walmart in 1 or 2 more years, then maybe I'll buy it then.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Message edited by The1Russter - Tuesday, 10 Jul 2012, 19:31

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 10 Jul 2012, 20:05 | Message # 94
If the post -production of the already filmed last 3 episodes were completed, they could have aired it or include them in the DVD; if those unaired episodes were not in the DVD's, it could mean the post-prod work was incomplete and NBC decided to cut the budget.

You can have a first look at the DVD's in the forum : The Cape -The Complete Series DVD / Jacket & Screencaps

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 20 Nov 2012, 18:02 | Message # 95
Not sure everyone heard that Podcast interview at the time; the blogger has in his mind this completely false, simplistic and limiting image of "teenboys" and "fanboys" in his head, but hey, blogger being lazy is not something new.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 13 Feb 2013, 23:55 | Message # 96
Buddy TV has named Summer Glau #38 on the list of “TV's 100 Sexiest Women of 2011”

Jason_ConnorDate: Thursday, 14 Feb 2013, 02:06 | Message # 97
Group: Friends
For what it's worth, David Lyons mentioned Summer in an Interview.

robboDate: Thursday, 14 Feb 2013, 02:47 | Message # 98
yeah he says he had a great time working with summer glau, and the rest of the guys involved in the making of the cape, shame about the cape it just didnt happen according to david lyons, didnt wash well or bode well with the viewing public, interesting interview with david lyons thanks for the posting, smile

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 14 Feb 2013, 09:32 | Message # 99
Quote (Jason_Connor)
For what it's worth, David Lyons mentioned Summer in an Interview.

Interesting read, thanks for the link smile

I must say i'm watching Revolution on NBC.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 07 May 2013, 15:11 | Message # 100
New (so to speak, considering the well-worn topic) blog post: TV shows cancelled before their use-by dates.

Besides the mandatory mention of Firefly, NBC's The Cape gets some love; this is a sufficiently rare thing to warrant a mention.

Stills
Watch more Stills of The Cape in the Gallery.

THE CAPE

This is so much better than its early cancellation suggests. Trust us. In fact, it had some exciting moments, featured a vicious villain, an odd sort of superhero and a compelling story.

Nevertheless, The Cape was cut to 10 episodes and the show cancelled.

The main character is Vince Faraday (David Lyons), a former soldier and honest cop in a fictional city called Palm City. He leaves the force to work for a private security firm called ARK, owned by Peter Fleming (James Frain). ARK is pushing to take over a privatised police force.

Vince is led into a trap and framed for murder by his partner and Fleming who is really the arch villain Chess. The city and even Vince's wife and young son think Vince is Chess, and that he's been killed in an explosion while fleeing police.

Badly injured, Vince finds himself held by members of a mysterious carnival of crime. They act as a circus but also pull off bank robberies. The carnival is an underground, alternative world, led by the "ringmaster" Max Malini (Keith David).

Malini trains Vince so that he can use a magical cape that really only should be worn by the pure of heart to fight Chess and clear his name. Vince takes the name "The Cape" after his son's favourite comic book character. As "The Cape" he even visits his son who idolises the super hero. Vince is aided by an investigative blogger called Orwell (Summer Glau). Orwell is a complex character, who is connected to Fleming. The carnival is intriguing, the theme of revenge works and this series is jam packed with interesting ideas.

We're unlikely to see The Cape on mainstream TV but the series has been released on DVD.

Read full article at The Chronicles

robboDate: Wednesday, 08 May 2013, 01:19 | Message # 101
the cape got really slated and unfairly treated, but thats how it works in the industry if they dont like ye face they just give ye a slap, to me the cape got a real slapping, dont no why the pilot was really good action packed edge of your seat stuff, interesting characters strange by all means but isnt that what makes a show interesting, to me seems to be in the same mould as arrow, the hood, the cape, summer glau playing a similar role to emily bett rickards, the cape vinces family wife and kid, oliver queen mother and sister, not much difference really maybe a little bit more effort put into arrow, and maybe just gave up on the cape, and just thought it was a bad idea from the start, but i thought it had potential for a season two, maybe to improve like they say with some interesting ideas, summer glau was great as orwell, and the rest of the cast played some great roles, cancelled far to soon for me,

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 16 Jun 2013, 21:40 | Message # 102
It looks like NBC and Hollywood have forgotten David Lyons (who stars in 'Revolution') for his role in The Cape but not the creator and showrunner Thomas Wheeler. His resume after The Cape is pretty slim.

Take a look at his IMdB page.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 06 Aug 2013, 10:51 | Message # 103
The famous reference to The Cape in NBC's comedy Community, starring Danny Pudi (Knights of Badassdom).

The Cape was referenced heavily in the fellow NBC series Community, mainly by the character Abed Nadir (Danny Pudi), who is obsessed with movies and TV. The Cape is his main focus in the season 2 episode "Paradigms of Human Memory", in which Abed dresses like Vince and runs around school. In one scene (still in costume) Abed swipes Jeff's (Joel McHale) food off the table and runs away. Jeff angrily declares "Show's gonna last three weeks," to which Abed replies, "Six seasons and a movie!"[20] After Community was removed from NBC's schedule in December 2011 and October 2012, fans used the hashtag "#SixSeasonsAndAMovie" to show their support for the show (Community, not The Cape) on many social media networks.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 02 Feb 2015, 09:58 | Message # 104
Orwell gets some love in TV Fanatic's article titled, "17 Hottest Heroes on Television".

13. Orwell -- The Cape
The Cape's superheroes didn't stick around for very long, but they offered sexiness like no one else. Orwell, played by Summer Glau, is beautiful, brilliant, and brave.

Summer Glau as Orwell in The Cape 1x06 - Goggles and Hicks

Source: TV Fanatic

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » The Cape interviews and articles
Page 7 of 7«12567
Search: