menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » The Cape interviews and articles
The Cape interviews and articles
chrisdvanne_ Post # 76 | Wednesday, 19 Jan 2011 - 16:05
Group: Administrators
Entertainment Weekly enjoys the show and sees the complexity of the characters, unkike Io9's article :

Quote (EW)
I enjoyed David Lyons’ performance as Vince/The Cape; the actor is succeeding in making this hero super while walking the fine line between entertainment and camp. ... And Orwell turned into an intriguing character herself. Last week, I was afraid she was going to be just some cross between Smallville‘s Chloe and the comic-books’ Barbara Gordon (both overseeing high-tech command centers). Instead, this week she showed some distinctive personality, accepting a ride from small-person Rollo (Martin Klebba) to visit Max’s circus.... She also proved to be connected to Peter Fleming ....

Read the article at Ew

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Thursday, 20 Jan 2011, 09:39

mr_mogwai Post # 77 | Wednesday, 19 Jan 2011 - 22:28
Group: Friends
Quote (michelangelo)
Saturday Night Live Spoofs The Cape!
Saturday Night Live and The Cape being both on NBC, we don't mind the mockery. As a matter of fact, it's more promotion for The Cape

Haha, SNL is funny. If The Cape is successful maybe NBC will do a spinoff like, I dunno, The Thong.

Ok, I'm done. Somebody wanna' come move this soapbox?!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 78 | Friday, 21 Jan 2011 - 01:58
Production designer Cece Destefano is back. She reveals the inspirations and origins of Trolley Park's amusements.

Source : NBCTHECAPE

Message edited by michelangelo - Friday, 21 Jan 2011, 02:19

chrisdvanne_ Post # 79 | Tuesday, 25 Jan 2011 - 03:04
James Frain and Vinnie Jones, the two super villains of the show, talk about their fight to be the boss of the crime in Palm City, in a new interview at TvSquad

"Me and Vinnie are basically slugging it out for the top spot right now," Frain told TV Squad at the BAFTA Tea Party. "I found that out by doing the P.R. event where he said he was aiming to be the number one villain. So, from that point, it's on."

What do they think about the show?

...every script that has come through has brought another dimension. It's really fun and funny. It's really clever writing. It's going to be a lot of good stuff the next few weeks.

What does NBC think about the show?

NBC is really pleased, so it all looks good, said Jones.

Read interview from TV Squad

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 25 Jan 2011, 03:06

chrisdvanne_ Post # 80 | Sunday, 30 Jan 2011 - 00:44
Sliceofscifi made an audio interview with The Cape creator Thomas Wheeler

Quote (sliceofscifi)
This week’s feature guest is Tom Wheeler, creator and executive producer of NBC’s new series “The Cape”, and he talks about the work and the fun that goes into creating the show, from building the character journeys, to working with real-world comics artists for the show’s comic, and more.

You can listen to the Tom Wheeler part, begining at 30:50min, by pressing "play" on the above audio player :

icon for podpress

Message edited by michelangelo - Sunday, 30 Jan 2011, 00:53

chrisdvanne_ Post # 81 | Sunday, 30 Jan 2011 - 02:22
Production designer Cece Destefano goes inside the mysterious world of Max Malini.

Max's Treasure Trove

I love that Cece girl; she has a lot of peps and make things interesting.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 82 | Friday, 04 Feb 2011 - 23:30
Poptimal got the chance to ask David Lyons a few questions about his character on The Cape; he talks about his physical training, Vince's motivations and his relationship with Orwell and Peter Fleming.

Quote (Poptimal)
Q: Are we going to see Vince and Orwell’s relationship develop throughout the series?

David Lyons: Absolutely. I found one of the most interesting parts of Vince and Orwell is that they’re two obsessive individuals on similar but not the same trajectory, and it’s a tough love scenario, but we do start to see a bit more softness between the two of them. And there is a chemistry there, which is unspoken but starts to bleed through, because they really only have each other.

Quote (Poptimal)
Q: ... is there a scenario where he can maybe have some sort of relationship with his family and continue to be the Cape?

David Lyons: I don’t want to give too much away, but in this situation, we’re seeing the journey of Vince Faraday as one man who’s fighting to get his family back and clear his name, and in doing so he will realize how important his role is becoming in an environment that is increasingly corrupt. There is that pull toward family, and there there’s this other pull dragging him away from society and away from his family…we will see cracks appear in his obsession as he tries to figure out how to juggle these two burning things that he wants.

You can read the full interview on Poptimal : The Cape Q&A: David Lyons on Being a Superhero.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 83 | Monday, 07 Feb 2011 - 02:46
New interview with Martin Klebba on Monsters & Critics : he discuss the opportunity to play Rollo, gives his vision of the show and make some revelations about forthcoming epsidodes.

Monsters & Critics: Having watched all episodes of The Cape thus far, I have to say that Rollo is one of my favorite characters. Could you tell us a little about how you become involved in the series.

Martin Klebba: There was a casting call and I went down and auditioned, and it was weird because there were a number of other shows I was working on, but this is the one that I really wanted because very rarely do writers step outside the box and give someone with a physical challenge such a chance. I have to give NBC credit to... Because other than Tattoo (Hervé Villechaize) back in the days of Fantasy Island, there’s never really been a little person who’s been a series regular on a Network show.

M&C: Are there any episodes coming up in the series where we’ll get to learn more about Rollo, and if so what sort of things will we find out about him.

Martin Klebba: Oh, Absolutely! Six is good its called ‘Goggles and Hicks,’ which is great insofar as we have Pruitt Taylor Vince as Goggles, and one of my really close friends Chad Lindberg as Hicks.
They’ve been hired by Chess to destroy The Cape, but at the same time these guys are really into their digital stuff and are very smart. So Summer Glau as Orwell faces a big job. This is a big job for her to try to overcome these guys, because they always seem one step ahead of her.
As we get to Seven, Eight and Nine Rollo, starts really starts to blossom. You’re going to see possible relationships and past relationships. You’re going to see that he may have a soft side to him. You know he thinks he’s tough all the time. And you’ll see him kicking some backsides.

You can read the full article on Monsters & Critics : Martin Klebba On Rolling Out Some Attitude On ‘The Cape’

For those who have forgotten Fantasy Island, Mr Roarke and Tatoo :

Herve Villechaize and Ricardo Montalban in Fantasy Island. Photograph: Everett Collection/Rex Features

Message edited by michelangelo - Monday, 07 Feb 2011, 08:28

Fermi Post # 84 | Tuesday, 08 Feb 2011 - 00:52
Here is a new interview Chad Lindberg who plays the Hicks
http://collider.com/chad-lindberg-interview-the-cape/75008/

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 85 | Tuesday, 15 Feb 2011 - 11:35
Production designer Cece Destefano stikes again for our pleasure. Let's visit with her "Trolley park", with all the street vendors, small shops and underground of Palm City.

I have not figured out yet if this is only a set for the show or if it really exists. Can a english native member enlighten me?

Message edited by michelangelo - Wednesday, 16 Feb 2011, 11:07

chrisdvanne_ Post # 86 | Wednesday, 16 Feb 2011 - 11:43
Io9.com author's Charlie Jane Anders made a list of ten lessons from Heroes that The Event and The Cape failed to leaned. I reproduce here the four of them that are The Cape-oriented :

10) Carnies are not the new ninjas.
At Comic Con 2009, NBC spent gazillions of dollars creating a carnival fairground right across the street from the Convention Center, with fairground attractions and stuff — because for some reason carnies are just automatically popular and awesome. Right? Uh, yeah. The "evil carnies" subplot on Heroes was like the dullest thing ever — and now The Cape is all carnies, all the time. Even though we love Keith David, and Rollo is pretty hilarious, it's still an odd choice. Who decided that carnies would rule television?

I disagree. The carnies give a comic book vibe, picturesque and colorful elements to the show. More they participate to the main plot most of the time. Of course they derivate the focus from the main characters but blame the writing, not the carnies.

9) Creepy dads are not endlessly fascinating.
Heroes scored early by making HRG into the ultimate fascinating creepy father figure — but you can only ride the "creepy daddy" train for so long before it derails... And now The Cape is tormenting us with the creepiest father/son relationship in television history — Vince constantly staring at his demonic son Trog from a distance and having flashbacks to when he and Trog used to be dating.

Quoted For Truth! Notice the "when he and Trog used to be dating" biggrin

8) Supervillains can be campy or crazy, but not both.
Seriously. Just pick one. And supervillains with split personalities or weird mental projections of their alter egos are so over. Heroes burned through a lot of nutty supervillain cliches in its "Villains" storyline, and now The Cape is revisiting a lot of them, including the "supervillain identity crisis" thing.

I like that actually. I'm not sure we will have all the answer about Fleming/Chess actually. We had a full story for The Cape itself, 3 or 4 villains-of-the-week but on the opposite Fleming's character and Orwell's have been waisted.

6) People reading comic books about their real-life superhero lives never works.
Heroes had the clairvoyant artist guy publish a billion issues of a superhero comic, 9th Wonders, that explained what was going to happen next to Hiro, Claire, and the others. And if that wasn't enough, Micah started encouraging his cousin Monica to model herself after a comic-book character, St. Joan. So there were comic books based on real people, and real people imitating comic books — it was so metatextual, man! Because superhero cliches are better when they're painfully self-aware. So of course, this becomes the whole premise of The Cape.

Vince/The Cape and Trip reading simultaneously the same Comic book from a distance is supposed to underline the special bond they have, even if separated. The truth is, it's boring.

You can read more of this salty article : 10 Lessons from Heroes that NBC Totally Failed to Learn

chrisdvanne_ Post # 87 | Wednesday, 16 Feb 2011 - 13:05
Another article from Io9.com author Charlie Jane Anders : The Cape does what no other TV show has managed in years: Tell a truly original story about terrorism.

The originality of The Cape's approach to the subject matter is best summed up by Rollo the carnie, who says the immortal line, "Terrorist zombies? Now that's a bad combination!" Unless you're a TV producer, in which case it's an amazing combination.
I bet the writers of V are sitting around berating themselves that they didn't come up with the idea of terrorist zombies first.

Max says, "I've seen this before, in Sub-Saharan Africa, especially Haiti." Wait, is Haiti in Sub-Saharan Africa? That makes total sense.

As Rollo says, "Voodoo is not my speed."

chrisdvanne_ Post # 88 | Saturday, 18 Jun 2011 - 08:32
James Frain (Peter Fleming/Chess/Orwell's father/The Cape hater/Dice's father killer) found a new gig : he will guest-star in one episode of drama comedy "Burn and Notice" (USA Network), in the ninth episode of the upcoming fifth season to be more specific

Quote (EW)
He’ll play the powerful owner of a pharmaceutical company responsible for several medical breakthroughs who runs his business with extreme security, and is willing to go to great lengths to protect its secrets.

Sounds like he will play a bad guy once again.
Notice that Frain is refered as "True Blood" vet but not "The Cape" big villain; it says a lot about how much "The Cape" is appreciated and will be remembered.

Source : EW

chrisdvanne_ Post # 89 | Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011 - 08:21
First review of the two-DVD set of The Cape, by Billy O'Keefe for The Sacramento Bee.

"The Cape: The Complete Series" (NR, 2011, Universal)

A lot of really good shows start off as slightly confused shows, and while there's no way to know if "The Cape" was destined for excellence, the possibility certainly was there. "The Cape" gets its name from the titular lead character (David Lyons), whose police career (to say nothing of his life as a husband and father) gets upended when he's mistaken for Chess (James Frain), a masked supervillain whose alter ego happens to be the most powerful man in Palm City. A group of carnies and magicians (led by Keith David as Max Malini) helps him capitalize on his new identity by giving him powers, a mysterious technophile (Summer Glau) gives him access to the city's underground, and just like that, The Cape is taking on a rogue's gallery of villains while aiming for the top of the ladder and a return to his former life.

That's a lot to make sense of with only nine episodes in which to make sense of it, and perhaps sensing the grasp of premature cancellation, "The Cape" feels rushed in some spots and a bit confused in others. But even at its messiest, there's fun to be had in the lines the show draws between comedy and drama as well as between fantasy and reality. The rivalry between Chess and The Cape grows in fits and starts and occasionally runs in circles, but it goes places, and it's a bummer that the impatient nature of network television never gave us a chance to see where the whole thing was headed.

Contents: Nine episodes, no extras.

Overall i would say this is a positive review for The Cape. Strangely though, the writer mentions nine and not ten episodes.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 90 | Tuesday, 10 Jul 2012 - 06:39
The Cape is available on Netflix (not available in all countries though).

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » The Cape interviews and articles
Search: