menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » The Cape interviews and articles
The Cape interviews and articles
Fermi Post # 31 | Sunday, 05 Dec 2010 - 00:07
Group: Administrators

Some behind the scenes Summer at 2:30 biggrin

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 32 | Sunday, 05 Dec 2010 - 01:14
I want to see this promo picture.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_ Post # 33 | Monday, 13 Dec 2010 - 14:38
"James Frain Exclusive Interview TRON: LEGACY; Plus an Update on NBC’s THE CAPE" from Collider.com (Source here)

Here is the part about The Cape :

"Since you’ve done it a few times recently, in playing villains, do you prefer to play characters who quite enjoy the evil that they’re doing, as opposed to being angsty about it?

FRAIN: I don’t know. There’s no hard and fast rule. Evil is a broad church. There are so many different ways to be evil. Sometimes it’s fun to be the guy who doesn’t know that he’s bad, like the character I played in True Blood. He was pretty angsty about it, but he thought he was doing the right thing. And sometimes it’s fun to be the guy who just really enjoys it, like the guy I’m playing now on The Cape. He’s more that. He’s much more flashy and debonaire and devil may care-ish. He just loves doing bad in the world. That’s real fun to do.

tron_legacy_movie_image_james_frain_02Is there a specific moment or cause that makes your character on The Cape act the way that he does?

FRAIN: We haven’t put together a very specific backstory. It’s all up for grabs right now. There’s a lot of big storytelling on The Cape, and there’s a lot of things that they’re throwing up in the air, to come back to in later episodes. It’s very open. What happens is that, in doing a show like this, you find out who the character is as they write it, and they’re finding out as well. It’s an ongoing thing. I have my own sense of who he is. I don’t think people who behave this way come from very loving families. But, I’m not bogged down in that, necessarily.

What can you say about the show and how your character fits into the story? How is this superhero show different from others?

FRAIN: I’m not particularly an expert on the genre. Correct me if I’m wrong, but usually you see most of the super-villain in his villainous role. He’s the Green Goblin, or whatever various bad guys in Batman, or something like that. It’s the excessive, larger than life, cartoon-ish, costumed character that is the personification of evil and has to be destroyed. With my guy, every now and then, he puts on a mask and does that, but he isn’t that. Most of the time that we see him, he isn’t that. Most of the time that we see him, he’s fun to hang around with. I think that’s unusual, to that extent.

There’s something attractive about my character. He’s fun-loving. You can almost think, “Well, maybe he isn’t a bad guy, after all. Maybe he does a few things that are bad, but maybe he could learn his lesson.” But then, he has this unfortunate habit of dressing up as this crazy character and being completely psychotic. That is unfortunate, and I think he’s probably not going to be able to kick that habit. What’s fun in The Cape is that I think they’re going to explore – with both the lead hero and with the bad guy – this idea that, once you start donning a disguise, whatever that means, what is that going to do to you and how much are you going to be in control of it, or is it going to be in control of you, and is that a crazy thing to be doing anyway. They’re doing that. They’re having fun with it and staying in the genre, but they’re going to explore what that is.

Does Chess always wear the contacts with the chess pieces when he’s in bad guy mode? Is there a reason for him doing that?

FRAIN: I don’t know. We’ve not really pinned down where they come from or how that happens, but every time you see him as this bad guy Chess, he does have these chess contacts in, which is very effective at freaking you out.

What’s it like to be on a show that’s so heavily promoted? Do you worry about living up to the hype?

FRAIN: I think this is a big show, an expensive show and an ambitious show, and it has to launch big, and we have to go for it, as much as possible, so I think they’re doing the right thing."

chrisdvanne_ Post # 34 | Monday, 13 Dec 2010 - 14:55
Quote (michelangelo)
What’s it like to be on a show that’s so heavily promoted?

Where did the interviewer get this ?

From what i have read here and there, the promo trailers are broadcasted regularly on NBC but there is not a lot much.

Message edited by michelangelo - Monday, 13 Dec 2010, 14:56

chrisdvanne_ Post # 35 | Tuesday, 14 Dec 2010 - 15:44
Televisionwithoupity look over the winter upcoming shows; The Cape is among them (you'll notice that a picture of The Cape illustrate the article smile )

Winter Preview: What Looks Good or Bad

They don't seem to be convinced but they are ready to give it a try; sadly they still haven't understood that Summer Glau is an amazing actress no matter what genre she is playing in.

"The Cape (debuts Jan. 9, 9 PM, NBC)
What Is It: Yet another superhero show! ER's David Lyons (from that latter seasons of ER) is a former cop who is framed for murder, is presumed dead and then becomes a vigilante.
Should You Watch?: It's worth a shot. After all, it's got to be better than the last season of Heroes. Plus, it's got Summer Glau for all the nerds."

Fermi Post # 36 | Friday, 17 Dec 2010 - 00:53
A new interview http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/114/1140600p1.html
IGN: While she may not be capable of taking him down, it's fun to see that Orwell is quick to go toe to toe with The Cape when they first meet.

Glau: Absolutely, and if you watch the next episode, you'll see more and more that she gets out of the lair and on to the scene. She's willing to throw down. This girl has been on our own since she was 12, so she's incredibly resourceful and she's not afraid of anything. She just makes her own rules.

Summer Glau in The Cape
IGN: It seems like this is a woman who has her eyes everywhere.

Glau: I do love it, because it's so different from myself. I'm so technically deficient. I can barely turn my computer on, so it's really fun for me to play somebody who has all the latest gadgets and has access to the most cutting edge cars. She's always cutting her own path. She's three steps ahead of everybody else. It's really fun.

IGN: Will we learn how she can afford everything we see she has at her disposal?

Glau: Yes… And she has very creative ways of getting what she wants. Let's put it that way! She never seems to run out of money. I wish she could let me in on a few of her tips, because I want to go on a shopping spree and buy all of Orwell's clothes. Because that's another thing she does: She owns pretty things! Which is an interesting quality to play, because she obviously has a higher calling and what she's trying to do is selfless in a way, but it's also very personally charged. And then on the other end, she's driving these gorgeous cars and she has beautiful clothes to wear and she's always got a new lair. She's a girly girl in that way. She's fighting crime, but she likes to look good too.

IGN: There was a photo recently revealed of you having seemingly joined the carnival where The Cape learns his tricks…

Glau: Yes. That's an important quality for me to play as an actress. I like to explore the other side of her – the more vulnerable side and maybe the dreamer side of her. There are things that Orwell may have done in her life before she started on this journey and it's coming out very slowly, because we're on a mission and it's always do or die time. So that scene was a moment of reflection that I thought was really beautiful. And it was fun for me to go to Circus School!

IGN: Really, you did?

Glau: I went to Circus School, yeah! I was only able to go twice, but actually Izabella [Miko, who plays Raia] goes to the school regularly. I thought I was going to hate it. I don't like to go upside down. So I told my coach, "I hate to go upside down," and sure enough, the first thing I was doing was hanging upside down like a monkey. But I was going, "I love this!" I was having the time of my life. It was really fun!

IGN: I'd imagine having the dancing background was a big help with that training?

Glau: Oh yeah. It made me feel so much more comfortable. And I understand lines and I have a lot of control of my body, so it wasn't as terrifying as I anticipated it to be. It definitely helped me. I went to ballet classes as much as I could, to get back into the swing of it. But hopefully they'll let me back up or I'm gonna cry!

IGN: Seeing you and [Cape Executive Producer] John Wirth here together is making me nostalgic for when you two worked together on The Sarah Connor Chronicles…

Glau: I know!

IGN: Is it nice to get to work with him again?

Glau: Absolutely. He's like a dad to me. He's just always there for me to talk to. He's really good at communicating with actors, which I think is important when you're doing a series. Actors have to feel like they're understanding their character and he and Tom, their door is always open. David and I go up there and visit them and go over scenes. It's moving very fast, so there are certain times where you just have to take a leap of faith and go for it, but it's amazing to work with people who really love actors and they're really supportive.

IGN: You've been in several science fiction/genre series now, which have attracted some very impassioned fandom. What's it been like for you to see the impact these shows have had?

Glau: You know what I think looking back, is those stories, they were genre, but they were reaching people in a real, powerful way. When I think about Cameron, yeah, she was a Terminator and we had all the excitement and all the action, and a big part of my work as an actress was exploring what it mean to be a Terminator, but she also had qualities I think people just really related to, on a basic, human level.

And Joss [Whedon], the way that he writes, just touches people. We were on a spaceship, but it was about family. And that's what I think we're really going to work on here – is that at our core, our story is about a father's love for his child. That's what people will relate to, no matter how we tell the story or how crazy things get, at the heart, it's just about loving your family. So it's really cool. Being part of sci-fi never gets old and it's always fun, because our stories are crazy! The things that we get to do… But it's always got a heart and it's from a real place.

Fermi Post # 37 | Friday, 17 Dec 2010 - 01:02
Summer went to circus school

chrisdvanne_ Post # 38 | Friday, 17 Dec 2010 - 01:20
The Cape - SpoilerTV Exclusive Interview with Tom Wheeler - Creator & Executive Producer Link

SpoilerTV.com is very active and very spoilery (haha) when it comes to The Cape. I never forget to leave a comment under their article to encourage them to post about The Cape and Summer Glau.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 39 | Friday, 17 Dec 2010 - 15:27
SERIABLE (The Home of Serialized and Mythology TV) is holding their first annual Seriable Television Awards

They have twelve categories and their nominees (Link); the one that interest us the most (voting for this one will open in a few days) is as following :

Most Seriably Anticipated New Show for 2011
* The Cape
* Locke & Key
* Alcatraz
* The Killing
* Game of Thrones
* Terra Nova

chrisdvanne_ Post # 40 | Saturday, 18 Dec 2010 - 00:11
There is a lot of talking online about The Cape at the moment and lots of articles are refering to Summer Glau; i listed some of theses articles below :

• SFX asked their viewers to vote for the films they wanted to be shown at the SFX Weekender in February.
    space opera choice:

It's a good thing to remind sci-fi geeks that Summer is the best ass-kicker of the galaxy
    Screenings For SFX Weekender

• SFX (again) points out IGN's article about Orwell

Summer Glau Joins The Circus

•  
    chrisdvanne_ Post # 41 | Saturday, 18 Dec 2010 - 01:18
    More articles, from SERIABLE this time :

• Seriable Poll: Summer Glau’s Most Glowing Genre Performance?
    Summer Glau has starred in many much-loved genre television shows, but which of them represents her best performance?
    Summer Glau's Best Genre TV Role?

* Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles (38%, 3 Votes)
    * Firefly (25%, 2 Votes)
    * Angel (13%, 1 Votes)
    * The 4400 (13%, 1 Votes)
    * Her best is yet to come in The Cape (13%, 1 Votes)
    * Dollhouse (0%, 0 Votes)
    * Chuck (-2%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 8

• SERIABLE points out IGN's article about Orwell

The Cape: Summer Glau On Orwell

•  
    Charley_Dixon Post # 42 | Saturday, 18 Dec 2010 - 05:28
    Quote (michelangelo)
    Seriable Poll: Summer Glau’s Most Glowing Genre Performance?

Voted for TSCC.

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

Fermi Post # 43 | Sunday, 19 Dec 2010 - 00:51
    A very loooooong interview with TW, that dude talks a lot :P
    http://www.cinemablend.com/televis....99.html
    here is the most important stuff

I wanted to ask you if you could go ahead and tell us a little bit about the wonderful and amazing Summer Glau who will be on the show and tell us a bit about Orwell?

She is wonderful and she is amazing. It was another kind of moment where I was saying like I don't know, The Cape just seem to have this lucky energy around it because Summer - we had been searching and searching for Orwell and just one day in like the casting office I didn't even realize I mean and Summer walked in. And a friend of mine I was working on the show with from Berman, Braun, I mean we were both like, “Summer Glau’s here. What's - Summer Glau is here.”

So she was just great. She was fantastic and obviously perfect for the role. We hired her immediately and she will not disappoint. She is just terrific. And the character of Orwell is one of my favorites because she’s sort of this mystery box. There’s a lot in her background sort of to be revealed. She is this almost an alias like character. She plays a lot of different characters. She's, uses a lot of different disguises. She's a woman that's been on the run for a long time and is really a pretty mercenary. I mean she sees herself as a revolutionary in a police state. I mean she's really quite military in her thinking.

She's a sort of glamorous military person but she's pretty hard-core. And that creates a lot of tension with The Cape who was not a corrupt cop and was actually a pretty straightforward kind of family guy and although there were aspects of his past that hinted some darkness as well.

Summer is just doing terrific. There's big plans for her character. She's not just sort of behind the computer all the time. I mean we really, she's like I said, she’s sort of out there and quite in the thick of it. And yes we’re very lucky to have her.

Fermi Post # 44 | Sunday, 19 Dec 2010 - 01:12
    This part is also important. I dont think I agree. We have not seen so much yet

My question centers around network promotion and support. NBC's put a lot of effort into promoting some of the season’s most anticipated shows this season but ended up with lackluster ratings for various reasons. Does this add any pressure on you for the Cape to do well? And what is NBC doing specifically in terms of, you know, support to help turn The Cape into a hit?

Is there pressure? Yes, yes there’s pressure. I mean look, any endeavor that costs this much and, you know, is such an undertaking, a big show like this with effects and budgets and all that, I mean sure I wanted to succeed and it, you know, on its own. Launching any show is a challenge in this environment. Launching a show is a challenge. I have to say incomplete total honesty NBC has been fantastic to me and the show. They've been really loyal creative partners. They've let me do my thing. They've supported the genre aspect of the show.

In the marketing of the show and the promotion of the show I think they're throwing everything at us in a good way. They are really getting behind it. And what I love about what they're doing I really personally loved the promos because I feel like they are embracing what's different about this show. Like they're just having fun, you know, and they're inviting people to a new experience which I love because I think we are a new experience on TV. Sink or swim I think everybody is collectively just going for it which is great, which is all you can ask. And I cannot, you know, there's no scapegoat for me in this.

This is I feel the show has been supported. I think they're doing a great job. And, you know, and we’re setting out to sort of tell the stories we want to tell. So, knock on wood. But yes it's a big build up. It's really it's - January 9 we'll see.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 45 | Sunday, 19 Dec 2010 - 01:42
    Thanks for the link Fermi!
    This is the full transcript of the interview i was reffering to in message #38.
    With this detailed version, we have a better understanding of Thomas Wheeler thoughts.
    He is very passionate about his work; NBC should have used him (along with some actors) to promote The Cape in one of their talk show.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » The Cape interviews and articles
    Search: