menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Emmy Awards - Summer Glau on the list of nominees
Emmy Awards - Summer Glau on the list of nominees
chrisdvanne_ Post # 1 | Wednesday, 15 Jun 2011 - 09:13
Group: Administrators
Summer Glau is on the early list of the nominees for the 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards; she made it on the ballot in the "Outstanding Lead Actress In a Drama Series" for her performance as Orwell in The Cape, as well as 55 other actresses.
The members of the Emmys will vote the final nominess from that list. The annoucement of the final nominees will be made during the "Official Primetime Emmy® Awards Nominations Announcement Ceremony" on July 14; tune to Emmys.com July 14 at 5:40 am PT for the live webcast.

The 63rd Primetime Emmy® Awards airs Sunday September 18, live on FOX Television and will be hosted by Jane Lynch (Glee).

Link to the performers ballot (can be downloaded in pdf.format) : Nominating Ballots - Performers

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Wednesday, 15 Jun 2011, 13:26

chrisdvanne_ Post # 2 | Wednesday, 15 Jun 2011 - 09:47
Ok, before you start to say hurrah and such let me tell you one thing; The Emmy awards are just like the Oscars in terms of how the winner is decided. There is a voting comittee that does the voting job , it's not made by fans like for the Airlock Alpha Portal Awards.
The actor/Actress that has the most votes in the comittee wins the Award.

Good for Summer that she is on the early nomination list but there is little to zero chance she is on the final list.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 3 | Wednesday, 15 Jun 2011 - 12:59
The fact that Summer is on that early list IS NOT an acknowledgment of her performance on The Cape. I won't go too deep into the details of how to become a member of the voting committee (more than 15 000 persons, see http://www.emmys.tv/membership/membership-types if you want more info).
For a modest fee (depends on the type of membership you're applying for, from $75 to 135$) and if you have any sort of professionnal connection with the tv, movie ot telecommunication industry, you can become a member.

Along with Summer Glau, ALL THE OTHER MEMBERS of The Cape cast are nominated, except for David Lyons but i will explain why later.
"Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series" category :
* Keith David as Max Malini
* James Frain as Peter Flaeming/Chess
* Vinnie Jones as Scales
* Martin Klebba as Rollo
* Dorian Missick as Marty Voyt
* Ryan Wynott as Trip Faraday

"Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series" category :
* Jennifer Ferrin as Dana Faraday

As you can see, beeing nominated is the rule and Summer is no exception.

As i explained on the Airlock Alpha Portal Awards thread, a member nominate 6 (in this case) names and then the committee sums all the nominations; the names that have the most nominations are on the nominations list. But one vote is not enough to be on the list or every names would be on it.
The "Supporting actor/actress" list is MUCH BIGGER than the "Lead actor/actress" list : 138 supporting actors but only 57 lead actors. Same for women (numbers are different of course because of the minimum of votes required.
This is why every supporting cast of The Cape is on the list but not David Lyons : he did not receive the minimal number of votes required to be part of the list (i hope my explanations were clear enough).

If you are smart, you would tell me that Summer beeing on the relatively reduced list for leading actress, whereas David is not for actors, is a sign her performance is noticed : to that i would answer..this is correct.

Message edited by michelangelo - Wednesday, 15 Jun 2011, 16:17

chrisdvanne_ Post # 4 | Wednesday, 15 Jun 2011 - 17:46
According to the buzz on the internet, Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men) is a favorite for this year; but last year favorite Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife) was not crowned so...

chrisdvanne_ Post # 5 | Thursday, 16 Jun 2011 - 00:27
The winners for the past 3 years; not really Summer Glau's Orwell profile.

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series (2008)

Tina Fey (30 Rock) – Winner
Christina Applegate (Samantha Who?)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus (The New Adventures Of Old Christine)
America Ferrera (Ugly Betty)
Mary-Louise Parker (Weeds)

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series (2009)

Toni Collette (United States Of Tara) – Winner
Tina Fey (30 Rock)
Christina Applegate (Samantha Who?)
Mary-Louise Parker (Weeds)
Sarah Silverman (The Sarah Silverman Program)

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series (2010)

Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie) – Winner
Toni Collette (United States Of Tara)
Tina Fey (30 Rock)
Lea Michele (Glee)
Amy Poehler (Parks & Recreation)

chrisdvanne_ Post # 6 | Thursday, 16 Jun 2011 - 14:11
As you know, scifi is not considered mainstream when it comes to Emmys; since 2000 , only two actors from sci-fi/fantasy shows have won an Emmy in the Lead or Supporting category : Terry O'Quinn (2007) and Michael Emerson (2009). That was for their roles on Lost, which is comtemporary serie, even if there is scifi elements on it.

Blazius Post # 7 | Thursday, 16 Jun 2011 - 23:25
Group: Friends
I think because there is a voting committee (and not just a nominating committee) there is a greater chance that they will assess her ability to play a role instead of assessing the overall appeal of Orwells character. Since Summer has outstanding acting abilities I think she has a chance to win the competition even with Orwell. However as you pointed out the committee members still have preferences regarding how the character was written and in what genre was said character in.They will no doubt vote considering these preferences too and this will make winning for Summer especially as Orwell a bit difficult. I'm optimistic through.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 8 | Thursday, 16 Jun 2011 - 23:53
Quote (Blazius)
I'm optimistic through.

It makes it more ineresting for the Wiki to have different point of view, especially when they are argumented like yours.

Devo Post # 9 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 00:46
I think Summer has a fair chance of being nominated.

In my observation Hollywood has a tendency to recognize actors for their overall works and award them for what is sometimes not their strongest role.

I am thinking Johnny Depp who is just in this past decade starting to get recognition from The Academy, and for 'Pirates' of all things, not Ed Wood, Fear & Loathing, Dead Man, Gilbert Grape, and a bunch of other great performances that deserved the nomination, in my opinion, much more than his recent nods.

It is really cool to see Summer made the early list for best leading actress and that she is respected amongst her peers.

Blazius Post # 10 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 00:57
I hope that they consider her earlier works too, like our beloved Alison from Palmdale episode and such.
Honestly I don't know who else could win an award like this. Summer does everything humanly possible to properly play her roles. IMO if she doesn't win its only because the voters are considering other factors which are beyond Summers control.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 11 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 01:06
To that i would answer :
The winners and final nominees for the past 3 years in the Drama category we're interested in; not really Summer Glau's Orwell profile.

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series (2008)

Glenn Close (Damages) – Winner
Sally Field (Brothers & Sisters)
Mariska Hargitay (Law & Order: SVU)
Holly Hunter (Saving Grace)
Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer)

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series (2009)

Glenn Close (Damages) – Winner
Sally Field (Brothers & Sisters)
Holly Hunter (Saving Grace)
Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer)
Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men)

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series (2010)

Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer) – Winner
Glenn Close (Damages)
Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights)
Juliana Margulies (The Good Wife)
January Jones (Mad Men)

Devo Post # 12 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 01:17
Quote (michelangelo)
January Jones (Mad Men)

Ugh.

So bad in X-Men. And she is rumored to be kind of a jerk.

http://www.tmz.com/2011....terview

Blazius Post # 13 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 01:29
Quote (michelangelo)
The winners and final nominees for the past 3 years in the Drama category we're interested in; not really Summer Glau's Orwell profile.

Okay but I wonder if its merely coincidence or its because the voters only tend to vote for characters with the preferred profile?

chrisdvanne_ Post # 14 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 02:04
Quote (Devo)
So bad in X-Men. And she is rumored to be kind of a jerk.

http://www.tmz.com/2011....terview

Maybe but the show she plays in (Mad Men) is mainstream and trendy.

In french we would say "elle a la grosse tete", meaning, she is full of herself.

I don't see Summer Glau reacting the same, not one minute.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 15 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 13:16
Quote (Blazius)
Okay but I wonder if its merely coincidence or its because the voters only tend to vote for characters with the preferred profile?

As you can see, shows and actresses on the final list are very similar from one year to another. Because successfull shows last many years...obviously, and draw the attention of the critics. Hence the lack or room for surprises or challengers.
Oscars are different because a movie is a one shot thing, it allows more diversity on the winners from one year to another.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Emmy Awards - Summer Glau on the list of nominees
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: