menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau has switched agencies.
Summer Glau has switched agencies.
chrisdvanne_ Post # 31 | Thursday, 16 Jun 2011 - 19:54
Group: Administrators
Quote (Devo)

What are all the duties of a publicist?

Is this the first time she has had one?

The talent manager finds jobs offers, the talent manager counsel about the carreer and manage the day-to day affairs (but do not sign the contracts) and the publicist promote the work of the artist (press articles, marketings campaign,...).
If there is no work (film, tv show, charity, ...), there is nothing to promote, obviously. This is why we can reasonably think that something is going on.

Yes, this is the first time, the line mentioning her publicist appeared today.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_ Post # 32 | Thursday, 16 Jun 2011 - 20:42
The public relations agency hired by Summer Glau represents "a number of established actors as well as up and coming talents ...Nicolas Cage, Bradley Cooper, Brendan Fraser,...Adrianne Palicki, " to mention a few.
Summer Glau beeing not a A-list actress, the publicist that represents her is not one of the top managers.

Blazius Post # 33 | Thursday, 16 Jun 2011 - 22:58
Group: Friends
Quote (michelangelo)
Chances are that she was not satisfied with her former talent agency (WME) performance to get her jobs; we're talking indie movies like "Legend of Hell's Gate" or "Knights of Badassdom" and tv show "The Cape". Those indie films keep an actor at work but generally don't help building a carrer.
More, when series cancellation started a few months ago, we reported here on a daily basis that most actors of these shows found new gigs (sometimes before the annoucement of the cancellation) but not Summer, hence our surprise and disappointment. Obviously, something went wrong with her talent agency.
The fact that Summer has kept the same manager (who is supposed to guide the artist on her carrer), as confirmed by Deadline, tends to confirm that the problem was with WME.

I agree! I absolutely refuse to believe that nobody wants to hire Summer! The fact that she even appeared in The Cape(and Initation of Sarah and Mammoth earlier ) and not in something that carries more weight (like TSCC for example) was because the agency did a pretty poor job. I'm happy that she made the switch, maybe the new agency can find her proper roles worthy of her talents!

Quote (michelangelo)
If there is no work (film, tv show, charity, ...), there is nothing to promote, obviously. This is why we can reasonably think that something is going on.

I hope there is something going on, these days without news are starting to make me worry.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 34 | Thursday, 16 Jun 2011 - 23:47
Hi Blazius, nice to see you again; i was begining to worry about you.

There is a lot of things we don't know, a lot of blanks but the change of agency says a lot imo; and so does the Deadline news if you know how to read between the lines.

I hope you've read completely message#27 : i reveal exclusively for the wiki, but that's not official so we don't spread the word too much, that Summer hired a publicist. This is another important point.

these days without news are starting to make me worry.

The work that has to be done before a film or a serie comes into production is enormous and takes a lot of times; the stories we've been given almost every time when an actor/actress is cast on a project "the minute we saw him/her at the auditon, we know she was perfect for the role" is a fairy tale, a lie. This is a long process. So is every step before the making of a film/pilot; the shooting is the easiest and faster part.
Be patient my friend.

Blazius Post # 35 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 00:10
Quote (michelangelo)
Hi Blazius, nice to see you again; i was begining to worry about you.

I was really, really busy in the past few days and when I was not busy I slept so I didn't have time to post but thank you for the kind re-welcome to the page. Its always refreshing to spend time here even after the hard days, partly because of Summer Glau, partly because the friendly members like you. And trust me, I won't abandon the Summer-fanbase so easily happy

Quote (michelangelo)
The work that has to be done before a film or a serie comes into production is enormous and takes a lot of times; the stories we've been given almost every time when an actor/actress is cast on a project "the minute we saw him/her at the auditon, we know she was perfect for the role" is a fairy tale, a lie. This is a long process. So is every step before the making of a film/pilot; the shooting is the easiest and faster part.
Be patient my friend.

I know it takes some time. I guess I'm a bit impatient because I don't take the long "Glau-less" periods very well. I'm already running on repeated Firefly and Terminator episodes.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 36 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 00:25
You're wellcome.

Josh Friedman and 20th Century Fox TV Chairman Dana Walden, via an article at Deadline, are giving us today another example of the fairy tales i was talking previously.
The project they were previously working on, aka Locke & Key pilot, did not go to serie, which should have been considered as a failure. Not at all! The guy (Friedman) is praised by the Execs and gets three-year overall deal with the studio to develop new projects.

We don't know the terms of the deal and we will never know but there is more than the storie they tell the journalist and the audience. The journalist is not an idiot, he knows that, but his job is to relay the information, so does he.

Think about the "It was not an either or with Dollhouse" Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly said whenn TSCC was cancelled; there is plenty of example. They never give us the real reason, just a plausible reason they think would be best for the audience.

Writer Josh Friedman Signs 3-Year Overall Deal With 20th Century Fox Television at Deadline.

Blazius Post # 37 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 00:46
So this could mean that Summer may have a top secret deal with somebody who acknowledged her wonderful acting talents for example in The Cape and they are working on a big thing but we know nothing about it because they don't give us any information?

chrisdvanne_ Post # 38 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 00:57
Quote (Blazius)
So this could mean that Summer may have a top secret deal with somebody who acknowledged her wonderful acting talents for example in The Cape and they are working on a big thing but we know nothing about it because they don't give us any information?

Who said that?
This is just me hoping the Wiki viewers would thank us for giving them a bit of information/opinion. It was not directly related to Summer Glau news.

But it applies also to her : do you remember Thomas Wheelel saying on interviews : "we had been searching and searching for Orwell and just one day in like the casting office I didn’t even realize I mean and Summer walked in. And a friend of mine I was working on the show with from Berman, Braun, I mean we were both like, “Summer Glau’s here. What’s – Summer Glau is here.” "
This is bulls**t.
But i bet you they will give us the same story next time Summer is hired on a project.

Devo Post # 39 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 01:11
Quote (michelangelo)
Quote (Blazius)So this could mean that Summer may have a top secret deal with somebody who acknowledged her wonderful acting talents for example in The Cape and they are working on a big thing but we know nothing about it because they don't give us any information? Who said that? This is just me hoping the Wiki viewers would thank us for giving them a bit of information/opinion. It was not directly related to Summer Glau news. But it applies also to her : do you remember Thomas Wheelel saying on interviews : "we had been searching and searching for Orwell and just one day in like the casting office I didn’t even realize I mean and Summer walked in. And a friend of mine I was working on the show with from Berman, Braun, I mean we were both like, “Summer Glau’s here. What’s – Summer Glau is here.” " This is bulls**t. But i bet you they will give us the same story next time Summer is hired on a project.

Summer did say in an interview iirc that The Cape was the last show she tested for last pilot season. So maybe it kinda did seem like "just one day in like the casting office I didn’t even realize I mean and Summer walked in".

Quote (Blazius)
I guess I'm a bit impatient because I don't take the long "Glau-less" periods very well. I'm already running on repeated Firefly and Terminator episodes.

I know that feel bro. I am in the same boat.

If we get an announcement soon about a cool new project I am going to do a happy dance.

Blazius Post # 40 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 01:17
Quote (michelangelo)
Who said that?
This is just me hoping the Wiki viewers would thank us for giving them a bit of information/opinion. It was not directly related to Summer Glau news.

I see.

Quote (michelangelo)
But it applies also to her : do you remember Thomas Wheelel saying on interviews : "we had been searching and searching for Orwell and just one day in like the casting office I didn’t even realize I mean and Summer walked in. And a friend of mine I was working on the show with from Berman, Braun, I mean we were both like, “Summer Glau’s here. What’s – Summer Glau is here.” "
This is bulls**t.
But i bet you they will give us the same story next time Summer is hired on a project.

I've always found their little story funny because without Summer they wouldn't last even ten episodes because the mayority of the viewers were Summer Glau fans. I guess they felt their doom approaching even then so I assumed they quickly hired her to have somebody to watch their show.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 41 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 01:51
Another case where the networks are telling the audience fairy tales : Fringe renewal

On Thursday nights, opposite hard competition, Fringe was averaging a 1.9 rating in the targeted 18-49 demographic and around five million total viewers. When FOX decided to move the series to Friday nights, Execs said that, as long as the series kept most of its viewers and 1.5 ratings or above, the show would be safe.

After a good start during 2 weeks, its numbers started to sink, averaging a 1.3 in the demo and about 3.8 million. But despite predictable low ratings, notably under the mark defined previously, the show was renewed, causing a big surprise.

To justify the renewal to the press, FOX Execs made up a story while manipulating numbers : "in ratings which includes Live+7, Fringe is averaging a 2.2 adults 18-49 rating on Fridays".

Let me tell you, this is Jedi mind trick ; i will try to make it simple : Live + 7 day program ratings measure the Live and DVR viewing within 7 days of airdate. And network Public Relation prefer to insist upon those numbers for one reason, they're always better than the ratings measured by Nielsen.
But they're useless because only Live + 3 day measure how much the networks get paid for their advertising.

Once again, Execs did not give the real reason.

Devo Post # 42 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 01:56
Quote (Blazius)
Quote (michelangelo)Who said that? This is just me hoping the Wiki viewers would thank us for giving them a bit of information/opinion. It was not directly related to Summer Glau news. I see. Quote (michelangelo)But it applies also to her : do you remember Thomas Wheelel saying on interviews : "we had been searching and searching for Orwell and just one day in like the casting office I didn’t even realize I mean and Summer walked in. And a friend of mine I was working on the show with from Berman, Braun, I mean we were both like, “Summer Glau’s here. What’s – Summer Glau is here.” " This is bulls**t. But i bet you they will give us the same story next time Summer is hired on a project. I've always found their little story funny because without Summer they wouldn't last even ten episodes because the mayority of the viewers were Summer Glau fans. I guess they felt their doom approaching even then so I assumed they quickly hired her to have somebody to watch their show.

I have a feeling it may not have been picked up without Summer Glau. I think NBC took a bit of a gamble on the fickle 'nerd' crowd.

I was surprised at how much backlash there was in the 'nerd' community, it is like as soon as they saw a guy in a cape half of them tossed their monitors out the office window in a fit of rage. I think some people were unfairly harsh towards the show.

The strange thing is it actually turned out better than I first expected, because my first thought upon hearing the concept was skeptical. Grown men in capes and the kid dynamic just sounded bad. Really bad. But it was a high profile project for Summer and it could have turned out to be a hit. I am sure a lot of actors were climbing over each other trying to get a part in the pilot, and hopefully the series.

I just hope Summer doesn't think she has to cater to the 'nerd' crowd too much. I love scifi and feel it is an excellent platform for some of the best and most imaginative storytelling, but I would be just as excited to hear she got a good role on any good show.

Message edited by Devo - Friday, 17 Jun 2011, 01:57

chrisdvanne_ Post # 43 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 02:15
Quote (Devo)
I have a feeling it may not have been picked up without Summer Glau. I think NBC took a bit of a gamble on the fickle 'nerd' crowd.

Maybe, i was personally amazed by the number of people saying they will give the show a chance just because Summer was in it; but we all know Summer's supposedly big following is not enough to maintain a show on air.

I was surprised at how much backlash there was in the 'nerd' community, it is like as soon as they saw a guy in a cape half of them tossed their monitors out the office window in a fit of rage. I think some people were unfairly harsh towards the show.

The minute i saw the negative comments from the fans on comic book sites, i knew the show was doomed. How could a show find its audience when receiving a fan backlashfrom the people who are supposed to love it.

Devo Post # 44 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 03:15
Quote (michelangelo)
Quote (Devo)I have a feeling it may not have been picked up without Summer Glau. I think NBC took a bit of a gamble on the fickle 'nerd' crowd. Maybe, i was personally amazed by the number of people saying they will give the show a chance just because Summer was in it; but we all know Summer's supposedly big following is not enough to maintain a show on air. QuoteI was surprised at how much backlash there was in the 'nerd' community, it is like as soon as they saw a guy in a cape half of them tossed their monitors out the office window in a fit of rage. I think some people were unfairly harsh towards the show. The minute i saw the negative comments from the fans on comic book sites, i knew the show was doomed. How could a show find its audience when receiving a fan backlashfrom the people who are supposed to love it.

That's the thing. I think most of the comic book crowd didn't even give the show a chance, and the majority of people who tuned in until the final episode were Summer fans. And a lot of people who like Summer lost interest after the first couple episodes because of the concept and writing.

I personally love scifi but don't really care for superheros and comics.

There has always been a rift between some of the scifi crowd and the fantasy crowd. Marketers who may think that everyone who digs scifi will automatically like fantasy are mistaken.

Blazius Post # 45 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 04:45
Quote (Devo)
I just hope Summer doesn't think she has to cater to the 'nerd' crowd too much. I love scifi and feel it is an excellent platform for some of the best and most imaginative storytelling, but I would be just as excited to hear she got a good role on any good show.

I hope too!
Fortunately Summer has already proved that she has a place outside of the scifi genre with movies like Deadly Honeymoon. She seemed just as comfortable playing Lindsay as playing Cameron in my opinion which is a good thing considering that being a "nerd exclusive" actress is not very healthy to ones career.

One thing that bothers me trough is something that Summer said in a Cape related interview(I'm watching too much Summer interviews lately) She said something about The Cape was made for the whole family(tomorrow I will search for a written version, I may have misheard this). Couple this with the simplistic plots in the episodes, the relatively low level of violence(like the villains are not killed, they are just jailed) and the huge emphasis on the Trip/Vince, child/father relationship. Now I wonder if the target audience were in fact kids not adult "nerds" or scifi/ fantasy fans. Maybe the fact that it wasn't aired on a children-exclusive channel confused everybody to believe that it was made for adults. So the comic-fans are possibly hating the show because it was not designed to be watched by them. Just a theory.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau has switched agencies.
Search: