menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Website » Important! Vote about wiki layout changes.
Important! Vote about wiki layout changes.
What kind of color scheme should we use on the wiki?
FermiDate: Monday, 07 May 2012, 17:31 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators
Here you can vote on what kind of color scheme we should use on the wiki. We have two options dark background with white text or bright background with black text.

Here are screen captures of a suggested bright layout (this is an early draft so changes could be made):

Main site

Forum

The dark layout is the current one. I also added a third option, but I don't make any promises.
Note that one is only allowed to vote once. You have one week to vote.

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 07 May 2012, 18:13 | Message # 2
The bright layout is a great improvement imo!
we should indeed abandon the over-masculine, geeky, wiki-style look because the Summer Glau Wiki is not a regular Wiki (basically an encyclopedia), it's a vibrant fansite regularly updated with news, blog posts and forum discussions.

I'm not a pro but it seems that the set of colors you choosed is fine, both for the forum and the news.
The homepage, which is the window of the site, could be a little bit more attractive by adding warmer colors instead of the "beige-looking" (perfect for the forum); the light blue is ok though, it could be slight touches of colors only, why not in the title bars or in the fonts used.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

BlaziusDate: Monday, 07 May 2012, 19:18 | Message # 3
Group: Friends
No you should make a super pink, girly-girly layout instead!

I wouldn't like this layout myself though. If we had more female members then I'd certainly consider it but as of now I think the bright one is a better solution.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

ThierryDate: Monday, 07 May 2012, 19:29 | Message # 4
Quote (chrisdvanne)
The bright layout is a great improvement imo!
we should indeed abandon the over-masculine, geeky, wiki-style look because the Summer Glau Wiki is not a regular Wiki (basically an encyclopedia), it's a vibrant fansite regularly updated with news, blog posts and forum discussions.

I totally agree.... Thanks for the work Fermi !
There is one more point : with a bright layout it is easier to print pages

Thanks for the trees

So much grace is beautiful and peaceful for the mind and the eyes.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 07 May 2012, 20:02 | Message # 5
Quote (Blazius)
No you should make a super pink, girly-girly layout instead!

I wouldn't like this layout myself though. If we had more female members then I'd certainly consider it but as of now I think the bright one is a better solution.

I go for the pink layout tongue

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 07 May 2012, 20:02

Charley_DixonDate: Monday, 07 May 2012, 22:31 | Message # 6
I can't believe you suggest bright layout, Fermi smile As far as I remember you always advocated the dark design. Anyway I voted for the bright one just to make a difference to the look of this site.

By the way I like recent design changes you made, especially the bar over news posts:

and buttons in HTML forms so I was waiting for you to change those brown (or whatever the name of that color is) bars

to something that would be more suitable. If you are going to dramatically change design now please change those brown bars too.
Attachments: 2536707.png(15.2 Kb) · 7027158.png(4.6 Kb)

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 08 May 2012, 01:08 | Message # 7
I posted the link on my Facebook page which might have been a mistake because the hard core Terminator fans voted for the dark layout whereas the posting members of the Wiki voted for the bright layout.

The difference is that i'm not thinking in terms of "what colors do i prefer" but in terms of "what is the best for the development of the wiki".

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 08 May 2012, 03:02 | Message # 8
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I go for the pink layout

shok

Well, yeah thats a reason why I wouldn't want pink I guess.....lol smile

Quote (chrisdvanne)
I posted the link on my Facebook page which might have been a mistake because the hard core Terminator fans voted for the dark layout whereas the posting members of the Wiki voted for the bright layout.

If they'd be posting members too( they can be if they wish) they'd know that this dark layout gets a bit tedious after awhile. So don't listen to them smile

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 08 May 2012, 17:15 | Message # 9
The trend these days seems to have the color for the title bar and the content of the news (see below) but i don't like that personally :

I prefer to have a distinct color for the title bar; we could have a slightly darker blue for example (same as for the top menu bar):

The gray for the widget on the side is dreary, we could use a light blue or a light orange/brown.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 08 May 2012, 17:17

The1RussterDate: Tuesday, 08 May 2012, 17:40 | Message # 10
Group: Writer
I'm of the opinion if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if change must be made, don't have washed out colors like two other Summer Glau websites I could mention or bright colors like a kids b-day party. Keep it simple, with good contrast and well defined separation of content on each page as it is currently.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Message edited by The1Russter - Tuesday, 08 May 2012, 17:42

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 08 May 2012, 18:17 | Message # 11
Quote (The1Russter)
I'm of the opinion if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It ain't broken but it's detrimental to the visibility of the Wiki imo.

Quote (The1Russter)
But if change must be made, don't have washed out colors like two other Summer Glau websites

Yes, these sites are definitively following the trend i mentioned earlier and i think we should not follow the mainstream trend at all cost, but rather make a distinctive layout.

Quote (The1Russter)
Keep it simple, with good contrast and well defined separation of content on each page as it is currently.

Absolutely.
We should find a balance between "No separation and washed out colors" and the complete opposite "thick separation bars between content and flashy colors".

REGDate: Wednesday, 09 May 2012, 15:51 | Message # 12
i do prefer dark personally but the bright layout does look good. i find that bright colors tend to hurt your eyes after a while. even if you turn down your monitor brightness.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

FermiDate: Wednesday, 09 May 2012, 22:09 | Message # 13
Maybe one can have both?

I put a layout switcher in the left column. Note this is still a beta version.

You can't stop the signal!

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 09 May 2012, 22:44 | Message # 14
Well, I like the bright option so far. Sure you might need to adjust it a bit( like fixing the missing separation lines between threads in the thread list) and maybe a few color adjustments but IMO the bright theme will be a very nice alternative to the sometimes tedious blackness.

And if you leave the option to choose then nobody is forced to change if he/she doesn't want to.

Charley_DixonDate: Friday, 11 May 2012, 22:36 | Message # 15
Quote (Fermi)
Maybe one can have both?

I put a layout switcher in the left column. Note this is still a beta version.

Awesome! I love the new bright layout!!! And also thanks for replacing those brown bars smile

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Website » Important! Vote about wiki layout changes.
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: