menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » The Cape » Episode 5 The Dice Discussion thread(spoiler)
Episode 5 The Dice Discussion thread(spoiler)
Give us your opinion on the Dice
Fermi Post # 1 | Saturday, 29 Jan 2011 - 23:33
Group: Administrators
We start the discussion thread early.
the Dice will air on Monday 9 PM
here is a sneak peek

Synopsis
Tracey Jarrod, a young intellectual masquerading as Dice, comes to Palm City seeking revenge on Chess
for her father's death. Meanwhile, Chess as Peter Fleming and the ARK Corporation plan to reveal a
special device, inspired by Jarrod and stolen from her father, which could change Palm City. The Cape
is forced to help his archenemy upon realizing that to take Chess down he has to keep him alive.
Rollo,
Ruvi, Raia, and Max help Vince master new skills as he fights to accept how his choices affect his wife
and son.

Vote in the poll after you seen the episode
Spoiler tags are not needed

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 16 | Monday, 31 Jan 2011 - 21:42
@KevinInScotland

As i wrote before, all posters here are TSCC fans and none missed your blatant allusion; but i hope that maybe there is one or two lurkers who might be new to Summer's world. Knowing that a newbie would be interested enough to discover Cameron would definitively make my day wink

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Monday, 31 Jan 2011, 21:43

chrisdvanne_ Post # 17 | Monday, 31 Jan 2011 - 21:59
When surfing for the last few days, i get the feeling that most of the reviewers enjoy the show and noticed an improvement; tonight's episode just need less whining from Vince about his family and some good lines to make a strong episode.

This could be a turning point for the show. Anyway that's what i hope.

Chief Post # 18 | Tuesday, 01 Feb 2011 - 04:19
Group: Users
My comments from the Orwell board...

I only have one question: WHERE THE %$#@ WAS THIS ORWELL in the first four episodes? As if it took them this long to realize how to use her. Sweet merciful...

Anyway, I liked the episode. I only have a few complaints, and they're mostly minor things.

First, I didn't like the freak out by Orwell. The first thing I thought was, Drama Queen! I understand what to do with Fleming/Chess isn't a black and white issue, but I think that scene could've been written a little better. The freak-out and exchange made me cringe.

(I can forgive them for not showing us Orwell stealing the files because 1) It wasn't necessary, and 2) We got to see her do other stuff.)

Second, the flashbacks were completely useless, especially the ones at the start of the episode. We already knew what happened, so what was the point? Did we really need to see Trip beg Vince to finish Monopoly?

(Another minor thing: Anyone else dislike Dice's dialogue in the boilerroom?)

Those complaints out of the way, finally we got a useful Orwell. We saw her doing some investigative work, saw her tapping into security cameras. I thought that was cool. I laughed at her zapping the guy. Twice. Poor guy. lol And she got some revenge! Dice slapped her with a gun, so she repaid the favour by punching her, and hand-cuffing her in the stairwell.

This is the Orwell I've been waiting to see. It's nice that the writers finally work up! I'd like to see this Orwell for the rest of the season.

And Max was great, as usual. "Why do you always bother me when I'm drinking?!" lol

And we got to see a bit more of Peter. Looks like it is a split personality thing.

"It didn't seem like much of a threat. We're not built to be cruel."

Chief Post # 19 | Tuesday, 01 Feb 2011 - 05:59
An addition to my Orwell comment...

I like that Orwell has feelings for her dad, but I didn't like her storming out like a child. It was a little ridiculous to me. I would've preferred they have her look at Vince with disdain and snap with something like, "You don't think. Do you seriously not understand the situation? If Dice kills Peter blah blah blah." Whatever she said when she was standing in the doorway. That would've been better. The storming out... ugh. I didn't like it.

KrelleK Post # 20 | Tuesday, 01 Feb 2011 - 19:56
Group: Friends
Quote (Chief)
An addition to my Orwell comment...
I like that Orwell has feelings for her dad, but I didn't like her storming out like a child. It was a little ridiculous to me. I would've preferred they have her look at Vince with disdain and snap with something like, "You don't think. Do you seriously not understand the situation? If Dice kills Peter blah blah blah." Whatever she said when she was standing in the doorway. That would've been better. The storming out... ugh. I didn't like it.

I agree it could have been done better, but it did not iritate me, atleast not that much(the little outcry/storming out, just happy she came back again :-)

loved the tazing scene, the first where she says: sorry, and the repeat tazing, did not quite catch it, did she say sometthing like: go back to sleep, or sorry again.

and what is it with Chess/Peter Fleming, multiple personality disorder of some kind. :-)

it seemed that Vince becoming the cape was preseen/precoged on that old piee of paper that Max took out, and Dice could seemingly not "see" him with her powers, so is it possible by Vince/Cape had been "prophesised" before, another "oracle" might not be able to "see" him
and anyway if Dice could not "see" him then it is quite possible that the machine-thingy might not be able to give an answer to who the Cape was because it was based on her brain.

a little more summer would be lovely but damn she kicked a little a.. this timem good to see.

Message edited by KrelleK - Wednesday, 02 Feb 2011, 08:28

chrisdvanne_ Post # 21 | Friday, 04 Feb 2011 - 20:16
The split screens when Vince was rushig to the restaurant to save Fleming visually looks like a comic book; i think it was nicely done.
It's the first time they did it on the show and i think they should do it more.

Message edited by michelangelo - Friday, 04 Feb 2011, 20:18

chrisdvanne_ Post # 22 | Friday, 04 Feb 2011 - 20:29
Quote (KrelleK)
what is it with Chess/Peter Fleming, multiple personality disorder of some kind. :-)

Peter/Fleming/Chess suffering from multiple personality disorder is a reference to Norman Osborn/Green Goblin comic book character from Spiderman.

Chief Post # 23 | Friday, 04 Feb 2011 - 20:38
The entire show is shot very much like a comic. Even the close-up shots of Dice when she's sitting in the audience while Fleming introduces T.r.a.c.e. They also tilt the camera quite a bit, which is seen a lot in comics.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 24 | Friday, 04 Feb 2011 - 22:14
Quote (KrelleK)
it seemed that Vince becoming the cape was preseen/precoged on that old piee of paper that Max took out

The entire episode is a parabole for fate and destiny (those of you who watch Smallville are familar with the concept).

We have seen destiny previously on episode 3 "Kozmo" : the backstory of the Kozmos, transmiting the cape one to the other, calling themselves "the unkillable" is a reference to the comic book character "The Phantom", aka "The Ghost Who Walks".

Quote (Wikipedia)
The Phantom is an American adventure comic strip created by Lee Falk, also creator of Mandrake the Magician. It stars a costumed crimefighter operating from the fictional African country Bengalla.

The Phantom is the 21st in a line of crimefighters that originated in 1536, when the father of British sailor Christopher Walker was killed during a pirate attack. Swearing an oath to fight evil on the skull of his father's murderer, Christopher started the legacy of the Phantom that would be passed from father to son, leaving people to give the mysterious figure nicknames such as "The Ghost Who Walks", The Man Who Cannot Die and Guardian of the Eastern Dark, believing him to be immortal.

But Vince is not the next Kozmo. As said Max : "You're the start of something different, something new, something good, i hope". The end of the episode proved him right.

Back to "Dice" : Max and Vince have this talk about destiny, when Vince is wondering if he has made the right choice to wear the cape and leave his family. Max said : "Is this your destiny?"

Of course the throw of the dice represents the destiny of a man; it's funny that Trip throw the dice and he pulled a 10, allowing Vince to meet Orwell and meet his destiny as well. "It's my lucky night" said Vince.

As you mentioned, this calendar and Max saying touching the cape while saying " There are no accidents" tends to prove that Vince becoming the cape was foreseen in some way. Alas i doubt that mystery shall be revealed to us.

Message edited by michelangelo - Friday, 04 Feb 2011, 22:16

Chief Post # 25 | Friday, 04 Feb 2011 - 22:25
I actually wasn't a fan of the whole fate/destiny thing. I thought it was kind of lame.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 26 | Friday, 04 Feb 2011 - 22:37
Quote (Chief)
I actually wasn't a fan of the whole fate/destiny thing.

It became boring on Smallville because it was repeated too many times and without going anywhere; sometimes you have the feeling Clark moves on , then he stepped backward.
But this chapter is a must on every superhero show; it was well done in Buffy for example.

If the writers have a clear idea where they want to go and if the directing follows, i'm fine with it. As i said, we won't know anyway.

Chief Post # 27 | Friday, 04 Feb 2011 - 22:58
I preferred Vince being an ordinary man put into an extreme situation. But if this was all meant to happen, then it kind of takes away from that, and Vince doesn't seem as noble. That's my opinion, anyway.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 28 | Friday, 04 Feb 2011 - 23:16
I understand and i respect your point of view; maybe i'm more sci-fi oriented than you are. The universe you're describing fits for shows like The Fugitive or Batman; in between lies Number Six for example. Wheeler wants to create a whole mythology around the cape therefore you can't escape the "chosen one" aspect.

Though nobody has superpowers on the show, it navigates at the frontier between realism and magic; sometimes the situations will seem plausible (Dice character and T.R.A.C.E. are all science, even the hub) and sometimes it will be somewhat magical, like the cape changing your soul for example.

Chief Post # 29 | Saturday, 05 Feb 2011 - 00:23
I'm definitely not a big sci-fi fan. Most of the sci-fi stuff I watch, I watch because of Summer. lol

chrisdvanne_ Post # 30 | Saturday, 05 Feb 2011 - 15:47
Guys, i'm getting old and rusty : how could have i forgotten the compass in message # 24 ? Along with the dice, it's the most used cliché in movies when talking about destiny and the course of one's life.
It was first hinted in 1.04 "Scales" on a flashback scene, in which Vince and Trip went camping; Vince said : "you don't need a compass. You got me".
Then on 1.05 "Dice", Max said vince : "the cape is your compass that will lead you home".

Don't think it's just coincidences; showrunners like to have a masterplan for their show. It makes them believe that they're not just writing a weekly show but a masterpiece, like a genius artist would do. Theyre flattering their ego.
The viewers like you and me are in the middle of this and we don't get where they want to go because we don't have the entire puzzle in sight, just the scattered pieces the showrunner throws at us throughout the episodes.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » The Cape » Episode 5 The Dice Discussion thread(spoiler)
Search: