menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » The Cape » Summer's Attack of the Show interview edited
Summer's Attack of the Show interview edited
Chief Post # 1 | Thursday, 27 Jan 2011 - 07:53
Group: Users
I posted this on the Orwell boards, and I thought I'd post it here, too. Every Summer fan should be aware of this BS. I guarantee you it was NBC that told them to edit the video.

So, I didn't realize this until tonight. The video that was uploaded online is actually missing a small section. The interviewer asks Summer about the role, and Summer mentions how she thought she had an idea of the character in the beginning, but the writers have changed things, and there's been some editing, etc. I definitely found the comments interesting when I watched it live. Anyway, I saw a comment on S-G.net tonight that made me remember the comments.

"I just watched her Attack of the Show interview again, in a better quality than available on YouTube. The other versions I watched didn’t have the section where she talks about how the way she originally thought the role was has been changed “and there was editing”, and she sounded like she really was a bit disappointed with how the role has been implemented. Of course, she’s too polite to ever criticize her boss in public."

So I made a point of tracking down the original video. I downloaded it from this link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QWWIK7GA

If you don't want to download it, here's the transcript of her comments: "I’ve tried every way I can to get information out of Tom. But I thought I knew in the beginning, I had an idea, and now things have been changed around, there’s been some editing, the writing hasn’t gone exactly how I was expecting, so it’s..."

I missed the last couple words because the guy started talking, but that's 98% of what she said.

I think it's interesting that this section was cut out, and I'm wondering if NBC told the people at Attack of the Show to remove it.

Of course, if NBC is monitoring these boards, then this post will probably be nuked.

"It didn't seem like much of a threat. We're not built to be cruel."

chrisdvanne_ Post # 2 | Thursday, 27 Jan 2011 - 08:27
Group: Administrators
I'm dowloading the video right now (it takes a few minutes); while waiting for the download to complete, i am watching the "edited" video on youtube (there is 3 identical versions) lasting all 5:48 minutes.
At 1:06 Summer says ""I’ve tried every way I can t" then Summer's comments are clearly cut : one point for your theory!

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Thursday, 27 Jan 2011, 08:36

chrisdvanne_ Post # 3 | Thursday, 27 Jan 2011 - 08:50
Download complete!

At 1:55 of the HD video : BINGO!!!

Great catch and good journalism work Chief because i didn't catch it myself and same goes for the millions innocent watchers.

Since yesterday, it was blatant that something was wrong was going on, hence the Tom Wheeler is wasting Orwell !! thread i wrote. At this time we didn't know about the editing but this video proves that the roar among the fans was legitimate.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 4 | Thursday, 27 Jan 2011 - 09:22
I'm not in the business but i can tell you that each time an actor is invited on a television show, a press attaché representing the network is there to make sure the message they want to give is given well. That person is on stage, a few feet away from Summer; you can clearly see Summer turning on the right troughout the interview, looking for that person approval.
Before airing the interview, the press attaché reviews it with the producer of the talkshow, AOTS in this case, and they can do some editing.
There is nothing unusual about the method; that's how it works.

The important thing is that it reveals our Summer feels uncomfortable with the way her character is written on the show; that's very sad for her and for her millions of fans and maybe one of the reasons the audience did not responded well to the show.

Edit: sorry for answering in a rush,but i'm going to work right now; see you soon!

Message edited by michelangelo - Thursday, 27 Jan 2011, 09:28

Chief Post # 5 | Thursday, 27 Jan 2011 - 09:39
I'm not too familiar with the whole press attache thing, so I can't comment on that, but I wouldn't be surprised if NBC did have the video edited. I can't think of any other plausible explanation. And if they did have it edited, well, that's just ridiculous.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say Summer sounded disappointed, but I do find her comments interesting, because it's a break from what she's said about Orwell in the past. And she's never commented on the writing like that before. At least not that I can remember.

So I do find her comments interesting.

And I am livid at the way her character is being used right now.

mr_mogwai Post # 6 | Thursday, 27 Jan 2011 - 18:56
Group: Friends
I don't know much about show business, but it seems normal that part of an actor's job is promoting themselves and their projects. So, it's not surprising to me that cast members are given "talking points." In any line of work that comes under public scrutiny, it's unlikely an employee would openly disparage their employer. It's up to the viewers to read between the lines.

EDIT: I can see how it's frustrating to be promised one thing then given something different, i.e., the ol' bait and switch. I guess all anyone can do is call or write the producers, or tune out entirely.

Ok, I'm done. Somebody wanna' come move this soapbox?!

Message edited by mr_mogwai - Thursday, 27 Jan 2011, 19:04

Chief Post # 7 | Thursday, 27 Jan 2011 - 19:22
I posted a message to Tom on the Orwell boards. I know he some times reads the messages and posts updates. It'd be nice if he would come on and let us know what the hell is going on with Orwell.

For those who don't post over there, here it is:

I posted this in another topic, but I thought I'd post it here so you can read it, too.

"I really wish I could disagree with you, but I can't, and last night was a perfect example of how useless her character has been. All she did was wander up and down the train. It doesn't matter what she got on film because 1) the media already captured Scales and Fleming together, and 2) everyone laughed at Scales when he tried to out Peter.

Look at the pilot: What did she do? She blocked cell phone signals. I'm sure the writers could've found another way around that obstacle. What did she do in 103? She told Vince to leave. I'm sure they could've had Vince run as he heard the sirens in the background. And she wasn't really needed at the carnival. She was as useful as Raia.

You could honestly remove Orwell from the story and not miss a beat."

You built up this great character, and so far she's been useless. You were supposed to have her do all kinds of stuff, but what has she done aside from the aerial silks? You said she wouldn't be stuck behind the computer, but she might as well stay there because she's completely useless in the field. The Cape is constantly having to rescue her. You were so escited about signing her, yet you're not using her. What's the deal?

I really hope this arc of hers in 107 and 108 is the best damn arc ever written for televeision, because right now the writers are doing a piss poor job with her character.

All I can say is thank God Summer is playing Orwell. Her incredible performance is what's saving Orwell. What's funny is Summer's showing you guys how truly talented she is by putting on such an amazing performance with the lack of material she's being given by the writers.

Edit: For the record, Orwell has had a few good scenes (her taking the Cape to her lair, the aerial silks, her exchange with Vince about a parent's unconditional love), but aside from these short moments, she's been pretty useless.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 8 | Friday, 28 Jan 2011 - 00:01
Quote (mr_mogwai)
it's unlikely an employee would openly disparage their employer.

I don't know if actors under contracts have some king of duty of discretion but it would be logical. Along with the talking points comes the press kits and lazy journalist just have to repeat what's in the press kit.
About Summer specifically, i'm a little surprised she dared to publicly "criticize" the way her character was written because she's always so shy on interviews; i remember interviews with her, Thomas Dekker and Josh Friedman, in which she hardly said a word. Some actors are willing to be part of the producing process like Brian Austin Green or Eliza Dushku but i don't think Summer is one of them, hence my surprise. That's why Summer comment is more the expression of her deception to me than an open criticize.

KrelleK Post # 9 | Friday, 28 Jan 2011 - 14:09
is it possible she just mentioned that some of the thing she does as Orwell, is because she do not get more than a few pointers of what is going to happen in the next epi, so she has to build upon it herself, and had been a little shocked that some of her own adds to the Orwell persona is slightly off from what would happen in the next episode or another future episode, and not critisize the way her role is being treated.

just a thougt smile

chrisdvanne_ Post # 10 | Friday, 28 Jan 2011 - 15:26
@Krellek : it's more than just having a problem to find the right tone ; i used the word "criticize" because my vocabulary is limited.

Anyway recent reviews of "Scales on a Train", albeit positive, pointed out the same problem with Orwell character :

Quote (TV Fanatic)
I was off my game tonight.

Interesting line that Orwell spoke in "Scales on a Train," especially since you can't really be on your game if you're barely even on the roster.

How many lines did Orwell have tonight? Very few. She's the only real reason to tune into The Cape and the writers/producers are doing themselves a serious disservice not using her more prominently. The scene at the end between her and Vince, where she asked him about why parents love their kids so much, definitely adds to the notion that she is Fleming's estranged daughter, so hopefully she'll come to the forefront soon.

Source : TV Fanatic

Quote (Daemon's TV)
There were some superfluous elements, such as Orwell’s (Summer Glau) presence on the train when she didn’t do all that much.

Source : Daemon's TV

Chief Post # 11 | Friday, 28 Jan 2011 - 17:52
I definitely think Tom is taking Summer for granted...

Granite Post # 12 | Friday, 28 Jan 2011 - 17:52
Excellent said - completely agree

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

KrelleK Post # 13 | Friday, 28 Jan 2011 - 17:52
Quote (Chief)
Not sure how I missed this topic. haha Anyway, I completely agree, and I posted a message to Tom on the Orwell boards. For those who don't post over there, here it is:
I posted this in another topic, but I thought I'd post it here so you can read it, too.
"I really wish I could disagree with you, but I can't, and last night was a perfect example of how useless her character has been. All she did was wander up and down the train. It doesn't matter what she got on film because 1) the media already captured Scales and Fleming together, and 2) everyone laughed at Scales when he tried to out Peter.
Look at the pilot: What did she do? She blocked cell phone signals. I'm sure the writers could've found another way around that obstacle. What did she do in 103? She told Vince to leave. I'm sure they could've had Vince run as he heard the sirens in the background. And she wasn't really needed at the carnival. She was as useful as Raia.
You could honestly remove Orwell from the story and not miss a beat."
You built up this great character, and so far she's been useless. You were supposed to have her do all kinds of stuff, but what has she done aside from the aerial silks? You said she wouldn't be stuck behind the computer, but she might as well stay there because she's completely useless in the field. The Cape is constantly having to rescue her. You were so escited about signing her, yet you're not using her. What's the deal?
I really hope this arc of hers in 107 and 108 is the best damn arc ever written for televeision, because right now the writers are doing a piss poor job with her character.
All I can say is thank God Summer is playing Orwell. Her incredible performance is what's saving Orwell. What's funny is Summer's showing you guys how truly talented she is by putting on such an amazing performance with the lack of material she's being given by the writers.
Edit: For the record, Orwell has had a few good scenes (her taking the Cape to her lair, the aerial silks, her exchange with Vince about a parent's unconditional love), but aside from these short moments, she's been pretty useless.

perhaps you could add we want more Summer/Orwell

Chief Post # 14 | Saturday, 29 Jan 2011 - 00:10
So The Cape Site released the episode description for 107, and it pretty much confirms what I suspected all along. We are, in fact, going to have to wait until 107 before we see Orwell involved. Needless to say, I'm not impressed. It shouldn't take Tom this long to get a main character involved in the story. This is why you shouldn't have a rookie as the showrunner. Tom clearly doesn't know what he's doing.

http://www.capesite.net/official-description-for-the-lich-part-1/

chrisdvanne_ Post # 15 | Saturday, 29 Jan 2011 - 00:49
Quote (Chief)
We are, in fact, going to have to wait until 107 before we see Orwell involved.

Im' afraid you're right.

You should take a look at the Collider interview of Tom Wheeler; it's full of interesting informations.
Here is what he says about the writing (as a newbie) :

Quote (Tom Wheeler)
How far are you into the writing? Do you have all of the scripts finished yet?

WHEELER: We’re pretty close. The wind is at my back. I was fairly stressed around October or November because it’s a new kind of experience for me to write like this. There’s a production train coming, so you have to make sure that you’re there. We have scripts written, or almost written, up to the 11th episode, and then we have very clear plans for what the last two will be, which are a big two-parter, in and of themselves, which I’ll be writing. I got a little break. I wrote 109 with my brother, and then I get to oversee the next couple, and then I’ll dive in and do some more writing.

Edit : i asked Fermi to merge my "Tom Wheeler is wasting Orwell" thread into yours in order to thank you for posting and bringing life to the forum.

Message edited by michelangelo - Saturday, 29 Jan 2011, 00:51

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » The Cape » Summer's Attack of the Show interview edited
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: