menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » The Cape » Poll : Orwell & Peter Fleming family bond
Poll : Orwell & Peter Fleming family bond
What did you think about the way the writers hinted the family bond between Orwell & Chess?
chrisdvanne_ Post # 1 | Friday, 21 Jan 2011 - 15:59
Group: Administrators
You have the possibility to choose several answers.
There is no good or bad answers, it's just meant to be fun.

Please note i'm not asking what do you think about the family bond itself and the consequences on the show but feel free to post whatever comment you like about this topic.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Saturday, 22 Jan 2011, 02:02

Chief Post # 2 | Saturday, 22 Jan 2011 - 07:48
Group: Users
I think this is one of the few things the writers actually did properly. Summer looked breathtaking on the aerial silks, and I loved the wistful look on James Frain's face as he watched the ballerina twirl. And the bluring between Summer and the ballerina was beautiful. It was an excellently done scene.

"It didn't seem like much of a threat. We're not built to be cruel."

chrisdvanne_ Post # 3 | Saturday, 22 Jan 2011 - 09:25
Exactly, Chief!
People comparing the show to the 60's Batman serie are completely wrong. The tone of The Cape is completely different.
Thomas Wheeler uses cliché on purpose; the music box trick is used since the begining of movie industry to remind childhood.

KrelleK Post # 4 | Monday, 24 Jan 2011 - 13:46
Group: Friends
Quote (michelangelo)
You have the possibility to choose several answers.
There is no good or bad answers, it's just meant to be fun.
Please note i'm not asking what do you think about the family bond itself and the consequences on the show but feel free to post whatever comment you like about this topic.

it was a beautyfull moment with the musicbox ballerina changing into Orwell/Julia? on the silk thingies,

chrisdvanne_ Post # 5 | Tuesday, 25 Jan 2011 - 01:43
Quote (KrelleK)
the music box trick is used since the begining of movie industry to remind childhood.

Here's some examples :

Anastasia (1997) animated film released on November 21, 1997 by 20th Century Fox.
Click on image for full size

Smallville episode 10.08 "Abandoned" released on November 12, 2010 by The CW.

The Little Mermaid 3 : Ariel's Beginning released straight to DVD on August 26, 2008 by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment

If you can think of another example, feel free to post a message.

mr_mogwai Post # 6 | Tuesday, 25 Jan 2011 - 19:59
Quote (michelangelo)
Here's some examples :
Anastasia (1997) animated film released on November 21, 1997 by 20th Century Fox.

Smallville episode 10.08 "Abandoned" released on November 12, 2010 by The CW.

The Little Mermaid 3 : Ariel's Beginning released straight to DVD on August 26, 2008 by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment

If you can think of another example, feel free to post a message.

All good examples of the lack of imagination from The Cape's writers' and producers, and why the plot and dialogue is constantly criticized as being too cliche. Sure, the ballerina music box effectively conveys the idea of someone's childhood, but it's so overused. They could have easily shown Peter/Chess looking at a photograph of himself smiling beside a dark-haired little girl, for example. Or better yet, shown him reflecting on his attendance at a young girl's dance recital. That brief memory, along with Orwell's silk rope performance would have made an effective montage that linked the two characters without being cliche.

Ok, I'm done. Somebody wanna' come move this soapbox?!

KrelleK Post # 7 | Tuesday, 25 Jan 2011 - 21:03
Quote (mr_mogwai)
All good examples of the lack of imagination from The Cape's writers' and producers, and why the plot and dialogue is constantly criticized as being too cliche. Sure, the ballerina music box effectively conveys the idea of someone's childhood, but it's so overused. They could have easily shown Peter/Chess looking at a photograph of himself smiling beside a dark-haired little girl, for example. Or better yet, shown him reflecting on his attendance at a young girl's dance recital. That brief memory, along with Orwell's silk rope performance would have made an effective montage that linked the two characters without being cliche.

yeah it could be done in such a way, it might have been better done that way :-)I do not know, but i think it would have looked nice, is it possible that it was done for those who(all of us Summer-fans) that are aware of what Summer did(ballet dancer)before she even began to act.
they alos could perhaps had Peter sitting, watching a video of a dance recital of little dark haired girl, then have the dark skinned man(Vince´s supposed friend)have said something i do not know anything of ballet, but she seems very good, and then have Peter Flemming say the line of words: she was a girl of extraudinary grace(with girl instead of creature) the firefly/serenity-fans would most likely have caught it, and perhaps loved it

mr_mogwai Post # 8 | Tuesday, 25 Jan 2011 - 21:21
Quote (KrelleK)
yeah it could be done in such a way, it might have been better done that way :-)I do not know, but i think it would have looked nice, is it possible that it was done for those who(all of us Summer-fans) that are aware of what Summer did(ballet dancer)before she even began to act.
they alos could perhaps had Peter sitting, watching a video of a dance recital of little dark haired girl, then have the dark skinned man(Vince´s supposed friend)have said something i do not know anything of ballet, but she seems very good, and then have Peter Flemming say the line of words: she was a girl of extraudinary grace(with girl instead of creature) the firefly/serenity-fans would most likely have caught it, and perhaps loved it

Yes, the ballerina music box may have been added in homage to one of the main cast's (Summer Glau) former profession, and that's cool. But as a plot device the toy ballerina is overused to the point of being a cliche. It shows a lack of imagination on the writers' and directors' part. There are many other ways they could have linked Fleming and Orwell together in a sentimental montage. It just seems they took the easy way, and put in the first idea that came to mind. This is one of countless cliches they use, and one of several problems with this show.

On the other hand, The Cape's flaws can show aspiring writers how to avoid creative pitfalls - plot and character development, dialogue, showing vs telling, avoiding cliches, etc.

Chief Post # 9 | Tuesday, 25 Jan 2011 - 21:33
Group: Users
I thought the scene was quiet beautiful.

Quote (mr_mogwai)
They could have easily shown Peter/Chess looking at a photograph of himself smiling beside a dark-haired little girl, for example.

They did this is 102. Remember when Peter's in his office, and he removes the lid from a chess game and the floating graphics appear? One of the graphics was a picture of him with a young girl.

"It didn't seem like much of a threat. We're not built to be cruel."

mr_mogwai Post # 10 | Tuesday, 25 Jan 2011 - 22:16
Quote (Chief)
They did this is 102. Remember when Peter's in his office, and he removes the lid from a chess game and the floating graphics appear? One of the graphics was a picture of him with a young girl.

I vaguely recall that. Anyway, my point is the show's rife with cliche, which I blame on lazy writing. Just to be clear, I know some people disliked Orwell's silk rope dance. I'm not one (it's Summer in a leotard, what's not to like?). I just feel the juxtaposition of those scenes would've been better with something besides Fleming staring at a ballerina music box.

KrelleK Post # 11 | Wednesday, 26 Jan 2011 - 14:29
Quote (mr_mogwai)
I vaguely recall that. Anyway, my point is the show's rife with cliche, which I blame on lazy writing. Just to be clear, I know some people disliked Orwell's silk rope dance. I'm not one (it's Summer in a leotard, what's not to like?). I just feel the juxtaposition of those scenes would've been better with something besides Fleming staring at a ballerina music box.

yeah that i cannot understand, why people would not like that thing with the silk rope dance by Summer, that is beautyfull smile

chrisdvanne_ Post # 12 | Wednesday, 26 Jan 2011 - 14:56
Quote (KrelleK)

Good catch!

Here is a screen cap :

chrisdvanne_ Post # 13 | Wednesday, 26 Jan 2011 - 15:18
Quote (mr_mogwai)
Anyway, my point is the show's rife with cliche, which I blame on lazy writing.

Agree with the numerous cliche but my interpretation is that Wheeler "pays hommage to the genre" by doing that.
Movies and TV Shows have buid a collective memory since the begining of the film industry and Wheeler wants the audience to connect with that memory. Its' very easy to reckon what the cliche refers to, even if you're not a movie-goer.

I think this is one of the show's problem : some like you see lazy writing whereas it was made on purpose.

Same goes for the comic book aspects of the show : it's a lot of a reality strecht but if you're looking at The Cape with suspension of disbelief, the show is just plain fun to look at. No need to overanalyse.

Edit : I highlights regularly theses cliche on the episode thread; check for more.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » The Cape » Poll : Orwell & Peter Fleming family bond
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: