menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 9
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » The Cape » The Cape - Ratings and Audience
The Cape - Ratings and Audience
chrisdvanne_ Post # 1 | Monday, 10 Jan 2011 - 13:52
Group: Administrators
Don't fool ourselves, it's not the quality of a show that makes he will survive or not; at the ned of the day, NBC execs will look at the ratings.
I'm aware that not everyone is familiar with theses numbers but we will have the basics here.

We have not the numbers yet but they should come shortly.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_ Post # 2 | Monday, 10 Jan 2011 - 15:23
TvByTheNumbers has asked their acute readers to guess the show ratings on the sacred 18-49 demo :

How will 'The Cape' premiere fare with adults 18-49?

* > 2.5 41%

* 2.0-2.4 32%

* 1.5-1.9 18%

* < 1.5 9%

As you can see, the opinions are divided.

Premieres do not control a show’s fate, although they massively influence it. If the premiere is 2.0 or well under, I’d guess the show is doomed. If the premiere is between 2.0 and 2.5, the show probably will end up bubble material. If the show breaks 2.5, we’ll have to see the trend over the first six episodes. If it can’t sustain above 2.0 for six episodes, it’s doomed or at least bubble material. Remember, this is NBC, not Fox.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 3 | Monday, 10 Jan 2011 - 18:07
The summerglauwiki is able to give you the ratings at a very early stage :

The Cape premiered had a 2.6 rating in the 18-49 demo and averaged 8.4 million viewers between 9-11p.

Source : Nielsen TV Ratings

chrisdvanne_ Post # 4 | Monday, 10 Jan 2011 - 18:16
The Cape did decently !

This was not the flop that some predicted but it was not the hit that we were all expecting on this wiki.

Its slightly better than the average reviews we've seen on the net; meaning that reviewers don't like comic-book inspired shows for the most part but that doesn't reflect what viewers really like.

Granite Post # 5 | Monday, 10 Jan 2011 - 18:28
Group: Friends
Watched the pilot (no translation yet) -
Quote (michelangelo)
decently !

the best word for a preliminary assessment smile

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 6 | Monday, 10 Jan 2011 - 18:28
I'm giving you the detailed numbers : the board give you the ratings every 30 minutes.

Time Network Show 18/49 Viewers

9:00 NBC The Cape 2.5/6 8.59
9:30 NBC The Cape 2.6/6 8.40
10:00 NBC The Cape 2.6/6 8.16
10:30 NBC The Cape 2.6/7 8.41

What do we learn from this :
The Cape didn’t fall too much throughout the two hours (good retention numbers) ; meaning watchers stayed during the first episode but most importantly, they decided to stay for the second episode. There was even more viewers at the end of episode two than at the begining of it.
That is very encouraging for the future, but remains to be confirmed when airing episode 1.03 on Monday, 17th.

Message edited by michelangelo - Monday, 10 Jan 2011, 19:08

chrisdvanne_ Post # 7 | Monday, 10 Jan 2011 - 18:44
In order for you to better understand the ratings, you must know that NBC's shows by the end of the year couldn't manage to get a rating (18-49 demo) above 2.0.
Experts consider that the limit between a show likely to be cancelled and a show likely to be renewed is this 2.0 barrier; for example Chuck is struggling to get the 2.0 (sometimes get 1.9) while the last episodes of The Event hardly get a 1.9. Undercovers is under the 1.5 hence already cancelled.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 8 | Monday, 10 Jan 2011 - 18:57
I'm giving you my first thoughts as i have them so it's not very structured but this is the survival of The Cape we are talking about and the opportunity for Summer Glau to show how great she is as an actress. Hence my excitement.

As is aid before, yesterday and today's audience doesn't intersect perfectly ; it means the show should pick up some viewers for newt week.
Don't understand me wrong, tonight airing is a repeat and the ratings won't be good; if it gets a 1.3 tonight it will not make a 3.9 (=2.6+1.3) newt week but maybe a 2.9, still higher than a 2.6 anyway.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 9 | Monday, 10 Jan 2011 - 19:28
Why did i said : The Cape started decently and not good : because I thought it might do slightly better given the promotion it got from NBC these last few weeks.

As is said, holding above a 2.0 should be enough to get a second season.

NBC launches 3 new series on January : The Cape on Monday, 10th (after Chuck), Harry's Law on Monday , 17th (after The Cape) and Perfect Couples on Thursday, 20th.

We have numbers for Perfect Couples because NBC aired a sneak peek on December 21, 2010 (i think it was episode 1.09 in fact) : Perfect Couples registered a a 1.4 adults 18-49 rating with 3.8 million viewers.
Theses numbers are to be taken very cautiously because the show aired oustside of its regular timeslot and without any promotion. But at least you can compare with The Cape numbers.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 10 | Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011 - 09:27
Typically a show drops 15-20% after a premiere, so by that metric The Cape would be "normal" if it held to a 2.0/2.1 for episode 1.03 on Monday, 17th.
I'm hoping for more if the repeat's ratings are good.

We'll have to see what next Monday holds.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 11 | Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011 - 09:28
I'm waiting for the adjusted numbers of Sunday's premiere and Monday's ratings so there should be an update soon.

Fermi Post # 12 | Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011 - 17:21
Not sure how to read those number,but here is info on the repeats
http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/200104911/m/603106543
Next was NBC’s repeat line-up of Chuck (#4: 2.2/ 3) and the two-hour opener of The Cape (2.5/ 4 -- #4 from 9-10 p.m.; #3 from 10-11 p.m.), which debuted just one night earlier. And The CW capped off the evening with repeats of 90210 (#5: 0.7/ 1) and Gossip Girl (#5: 0.6/ 1), which never fare well in non-originals.

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 13 | Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011 - 17:37

Source : TvByTheNumbers

The first episode got a 1.0 in 18-49 demo and 3.68 millions viewers
The 2nd episode got a 1.0 in 18-49 demo and 3.49 millions viewers

This is a repeat for The Cape; most people who were going to watch the show watched it on Sunday.
I was hoping a 1.3 for its regular time slot

The Cape stayed steady throughout the 2 hours, like on Sunday.

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011, 18:51

chrisdvanne_ Post # 14 | Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011 - 21:30
The final numbers for Sunday are in and there is no change for The Cape.

It doesn’t matter how the show did last night, it all matters how it does in the weeks to come, in its regular timeslot.

Let me quote a comment made at tvbythenumbers :

Yeah, Cape ratings don’t prove much except that it picked up a few more viewers who may or may not tune in next week. How many of last night’s viewers were repeat viewers – and I’m sure there were some – we can’t tell. But if we estimate half at least were new, then The Cape had close to ten million viewers for the premiere episodes over both nights.

Now it’s all up to the episode next week to make or break the show. I’m not expecting a 30-35% drop as has been suggested. But it could happen.

This appears to be a show that everyone either loves or hates, no middle ground. Also, on another board someone suggested the haters that are all over the place might be disgruntled former Heroes watchers. That makes sense to me. I haven’t seen a show generate this much hate after two episodes without a reason. I don’t think even Kings did.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 15 | Wednesday, 12 Jan 2011 - 02:25
I would like to hear a comment from NBC or Thomas Wheeler about the ratings; even if i know that they won't tell the truth and pretend they are very happy xith the ratings, blah, blah, blah...

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » The Cape » The Cape - Ratings and Audience
  • Page 1 of 9
  • »
Search: