menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » The Cape » The Cape on Syfy Universal (Syfy France)
The Cape on Syfy Universal (Syfy France)
chrisdvanne_Date: Thursday, 01 Sep 2011, 12:58 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators
Syfy Universal (Syfy France) has just reveiled the series that will air on the channel for the second semester of 2011. New seasons of Sanctuary or Haven but also new series like Being Human or The Cape, the last one starting in December.

Here is Syfy Universal press release
« The Cape » a été l’un des plus gros projets de la chaîne NBC lors de la mi-saison de janvier dernier avec dix épisodes de 42 minutes et un pilote de deux heures.
L’intrigue se centre sur les mésaventures d’un policier dans la ville imaginaire de Palm City. Laissé pour mort, il va combattre le crime sous un costume du super-héros et se servir de sa cape comme une arme redoutable.
Préparez vous à vous immerger dans l’esprit des super-héros, avec une réalisation nerveuse et moderne, oû le divertissement prime avant tout. Dans une logique manichéenne, les gentils y sont nobles et les méchants particulièrement diaboliques.
Dans le rôle titre on retrouve David Lyons (le Dr. Simon Brenner de « Urgences », « Sea Patrol »), aidé par un mystérieux mentor, joué par le vétéran Keith David (« Platoon », « The Thing »). Sans oublier l’éternel sidekick du super-héros, qui pour une fois est une femme, incarnée par la belle Summer Glau bien connu des amateurs de séries de science-fiction (« Terminator : les chroniques de Sarah Connor », « Firefly »).
Vince Faraday est un des derniers flics intègres de la police de Palm City. Un jour il tombe dans le piège de Peter Fleming, un homme d’affaire véreux qui veut imposer sa milice privée à Palm City. Laissé pour mort et recherché par ses anciens coéquipiers. Obligé de fuir, Vince Faraday ne peut plus rejoindre sa famille sans les mettre en danger. Il trouve refuge dans un cirque itinérant, dont les membres se sont fait une spécialité de cambrioleur de banque. A leurs côtés, il va endosser l’identité du justicier masqué « The Cape », un comic book qu’il lisait à son enfant Trip. Vince Faraday est déterminé à récupérer sa vie et à mettre fin aux agissements de Peter Fleming.

Side note : The Cape is already showing on Syfy UK every Thursday at 8pm.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

termi-ninja-torDate: Saturday, 03 Sep 2011, 17:47 | Message # 2
Group: Friends
Sorry, I am unable to read French.

Does anybody know if either the British or the French airings will include the 10th episode? It was never aired in the U.S., but it had been produced before the series was cancelled, and it was released on-line at the website.

Personally, I consider the 10th episode important in advancing the overall story and providing some degree of closure to some story arcs.

chrisdvanne_Date: Sunday, 04 Sep 2011, 00:13 | Message # 3
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
Sorry, I am unable to read French. Does anybody know if either the British or the French airings will include the 10th episode? It was never aired in the U.S., but it had been produced before the series was cancelled, and it was released on-line at the website. Personally, I consider the 10th episode important in advancing the overall story and providing some degree of closure to some story arcs.

The press release says : " The Cape has been one of NBC's biggest project during mid-season with 10 episodes" (how stupid is that sentence ????) and then it's basically a presentation of the main characters and a synopsis.

Syfy UK will air episode 10 'Endgame' on Thursday September 22 at 8pm , just like all previous episodes aired every Thursday (apart from repeats of course); i guess Syfy France will air the ten episodes the same way.

I don't see what closure you're talking about; except Marty Voight's death, the episode raised more questiond than it answered. It was never meant to be be a final episode and we had no clue it was edited this way (nor have we clue the other way though).

termi-ninja-torDate: Sunday, 04 Sep 2011, 00:45 | Message # 4
Quote (michelangelo)
I don't see what closure you're talking about; except Marty Voight's death, the episode raised more questiond than it answered. It was never meant to be be a final episode and we had no clue it was edited this way (nor have we clue the other way though).

I always viewed Marty as Vince's friend, even though circumstances caused him to betray Vince. I thought that in the end Vince would be cleared of being Chess, and Marty would be an important witness to testify that Vince was framed. Marty knew Chess was Fleming, and he was present when the Chess mask was forced onto Vince's head. But with Marty's death, I felt that Vince's chances of clearing his name were substantially reduced. Obviously, it was the end of the arc of their relationship, as well as the end of our interest in Marty's wife and daughter.

Implicitly, for Vince to clear his name, he might have to hope for some favorable testimony from the likes of Fleming himself or Scales. Or at least some bulk of convincing evidence. For me, this adjusted my expectations for the direction that the story would have to take going forward, were there to have been any more episodes.

Of course, the other development in this episode was the capture of Scales by the police. Presumably, this ended the arc of his criminal activities.

Finally, this episode clearly showed that the Orwell character had experienced a significant change that has put her story on a new path. Prior to this, I had been thinking that she had suffered a psychological shock from her experiences with The Litch, but she might recover fully. Or at least go through an extended recovery with the negative effects fading away. But it appears that she has recovered but become an observably different personality. So it marked the end of the Orwell that we knew and the launch of a "new" Orwell.

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Sunday, 04 Sep 2011, 00:52

chrisdvanne_Date: Sunday, 04 Sep 2011, 01:08 | Message # 5
Marty's testimony in favor of Vince and Vince clearing of being Chess would probably mean the end of The Cape as a tv show (think to Bruce Banner as The Hulk); it was better to kill Marty so that Chess could be the arch villain for some time.

Though we know Wheeler wanted to create a gallery of villain like in Spiderman or Batman and i personally think the days of Chess as the main villain in The Cape were counted. He could have lasted till the end of season 1 or maybe start of season 2, then another main villain show up, like 'The Masters' for example or even Chimera.

I disagree about your opinion on Scales; the writers could have find many ways to have Scales back on the field; also don't forget that Howl Island prison is everything but a regular prison; we have had many hints that some strange things happens there.

For me, the most important thing in episode 10 is the change in Orwell behaviours and what it could lead to in the future. Marty voigth was a secondary character compared to Orwell.

Message edited by michelangelo - Sunday, 04 Sep 2011, 01:09

BlaziusDate: Sunday, 04 Sep 2011, 01:17 | Message # 6
I agree that it ended several story arcs. However it opened just as many new ones as well. The most important is that as you said Vince has significantly less hope to clear his name now which is the main goal of the story. Also a new and very important Orwell arch just started and in fact we left her in the worst possible condition we've ever seen her( its more worse because obviously I was the most concerned with her). I think I would be happier if they didn't start that arch at all and left Orwell as she was.

The problem is that they promised an edited, final episode(exclusive online finale they said) and we obviously just got a regular, unedited episode. This was the stupidest thing they've ever done IMO. I was really disappointed.

Quote (michelangelo)
He could have lasted till the end of season 1 or maybe start of season 2, then another main villain show up, like 'The Masters' for example or even Chimera.

Chess wasn't a very great villain so I would have liked that. The Masters were way more interesting. And Chimera. I long for a truly evil Summer character so much!

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Sunday, 04 Sep 2011, 01:24

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 09 Nov 2011, 17:38 | Message # 7
We knew The Cape would be broadcast on SyFy France by the end of the year but now we have the date.

The pilot of The Cape will air on SyFy France on December 5, 2011.

I'm not sure i have the channel but i will try to catch an episode just to hear the French voice they've chosen for Summer Glau.

Source : Le Blog TV News

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 17:45 | Message # 8
I advertised the premiere of The Cape on SyFy France and its twitter account retweeted me, which is relatively rare as it seems :

Next step will be invite them to add a picture of Summer Glau on the page dedicated to the serie at SyFy France.

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 17:46 | Message # 9
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Next step will be invite them to add a picture of Summer Glau on the page dedicated to the serie at SyFy France.

Another victory for Summer Glau fans yahoo

SyFy France added a picture of Summer Glau, a resume of her role as well as a short bio on the pages dedicated to The Cape.

Summer's infos are on third position, after David Lyons and Keith david, exactly as i suggested SyFy France based on the credits on the NBC Universal DVD's.

Many thanks to SyFy France!!

termi-ninja-torDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 18:12 | Message # 10
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Quote (chrisdvanne)

Another victory for Summer Glau fans yahoo

SyFy France added a picture of Summer Glau, a resume of her role as well as a short bio on the pages dedicated to The Cape.

Summer's infos are on third position, after David Lyons and Keith david, exactly as i suggested SyFy France based on the credits on the NBC Universal DVD's.

Many thanks to SyFy France!!

Congratulations and Thank You for your successful efforts getting Summer a more prominent profile on the Cape page.

termi-ninja-torDate: Friday, 09 Dec 2011, 08:02 | Message # 11
I have a question.

When I first watched The Cape, I expected the show to run at least one full season. I enjoyed following the various longer story arcs as they developed over multiple episodes (like the evolution of Fleming's psychological problems). I especially enjoyed wondering about what was going on with Orwell as she seemed psychologically disturbed in the later episodes. Of course, I was disappointed when the series was abruptly canceled, leaving me with a number of unanswered questions.

Do French viewers feel reluctant to watch The Cape because they know that the series was ended too soon and some of the questions that are raised will never be answered? Might they refuse to invest the time and interest in a show that they know is likely to leave them unsatisfied? (I know that I would be reluctant to spend time on a show like that.)

FordStaffDate: Friday, 09 Dec 2011, 08:16 | Message # 12
Do French viewers feel reluctant to watch The Cape because they know that the series was ended too soon and some of the questions that are raised will never be answered? Might they refuse to invest the time and interest in a show that they know is likely to leave them unsatisfied? (I know that I would be reluctant to spend time on a show like that.)

I can not speak for French viewers, but I will not watch The Cape knowing it has no resolution. What you say is true, people will not invest in shows that they do not expect resolution from, and in this case they KNOW there is no resolution. Its sometimes called The Firefly effect - people will not invest in shows they believe will be canceled, this might even be a contribution to The Capes cancellation to begin with.

That is the tragic thing about The Firefly effect, it is a self fulfilling prophecy in some cases. To make an analogy it is like voting for a third party candidate in a two party system. I even felt this effect for Firefly, I only recently gave it a chance when I found out it had a movie for at least some resolution.

There is another effect that is similar called The Cris Carter Effect, named for The X-files. This is when people stop or refuse to watch a show because they do not believe that all its plot threads will be solved satisfactorily, LOST is one of the few shows that have averted this.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

termi-ninja-torDate: Friday, 09 Dec 2011, 08:23 | Message # 13
Fool that I am, I must admit that I would still watch such a show if I knew that the incomparable Summer Glau had a prominent role in it, just to see her in action. Never mind the story arcs.

FordStaffDate: Friday, 09 Dec 2011, 08:32 | Message # 14
Fool that I am, I must admit that I would still watch such a show if I knew that the incomparable Summer Glau had a prominent role in it, just to see her in action. Never mind the story arcs.

I would not say foolish, if you were saying the same thing for an inferior actor then perhaps it would apply. Personally if Summer gets stuck on a sub-par show cancellation does not seem like such a bad thing in my eyes. She deserves a good role on a good show.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 09 Dec 2011, 10:14 | Message # 15
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)

They don't know the show will be cancelled...for the most part. Because when a French (or Sweden or German...) newtwork buy a US show, they don't advertise it got only one season, that would be stupid.

As a person who watch most his series from the US networks and see them coming in France one year later, i observe this phenomenom for quite a time; it happened for Invasion and Surface who had only one season and i was amused to see that French networks advertised them as if they were the serie of the year in the US.
Don't forget that only a small proportion of the tv watchers take the time to search for informations about a show before watching it; not all tv programs magazines mention the show had a short run because it would be shooting oneself in the foot. Most people just turn on the tv, see a trailer on tv and decide to watch the show afterwards, not really knowing what it's all about. That's how it works. This is why the drop in terms of viewers is so important between the first and second episode, because the casual viewers will leave in mass and only the people really interested will stay.

People like you and me who visits fansites are a minority; even fandom who are supposed to be vocal like Chuck and Supernatural fans are not more than 3 000 on the net (from my experience) : what is it compared to the 3 millions of live viewers?

What i'm saying is less true since the internet came in play and let the informations flow freely and i suppose sci-fi fans are more rabid fans. But the impact of the Firefly effect is not that important imo. Tv watchers are stupid non-informed and lazy by nature and the networks benefit from that. If the networks didn't make money out of shows that last only one season, do you believe they would pay millions to buy the right to broascast them?

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » The Cape » The Cape on Syfy Universal (Syfy France)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: