menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » The Cape » The Cape’s impact on Summer’s career
The Cape’s impact on Summer’s career
Blazius Post # 1 | Tuesday, 08 Mar 2011 - 00:56
Group: Friends
Hi, I’m a new guy so I would like say hello to every other member of the site.
I’ve been visiting this site for Summer Glau related news for a long time. Your site is very informative, accessible,well desingned and contains lots of content about my favourite actress of all time,so I decided that I would like to join (I rarely use any forums at all so please forgive me if I'm doing something wrong)
My first topic would be Cape related. Now that they aired the shows last episode on TV, I would like to summarize it a bit, mainly its impact on Summer’s career. Was it really a blessing for her? Did it really help her expand or become more succesful or was it just a wasting of time which burdened her career with another (prematurely) cancelled show? So what do you think?

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 2 | Tuesday, 08 Mar 2011 - 01:17
Group: Administrators
Hi, Blazius!

Thanks for the compliments about the site and its content. I'm not an admin but i spent a lot of time and energy to develop it, therefore what you're saying is very recomforting for me. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, i make some everyday but Fermi or Charley are always there to rectify and give advice. This is a friendly community we're are building and it(s nice to have you aboard.

I can't believe that you rarely use forums because your first post is not a comment but a new thread, my turn to be impressed.

I had in mind to make such a thread for some time, maybe after episode 10 was online, but now is a good time and i'm glad you started it.

Right now i'm too tired to start the discussion on the topic itself but i wanted to take the time to answer you before going to sleep. Can't wait to see you tomorrow!

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Charley_Dixon Post # 3 | Tuesday, 08 Mar 2011 - 04:13
Quote (Blazius)
Hi, I’m a new guy so I would like say hello to every other member of the site.

Welcome! Nice to see a new person here.

Quote (Blazius)
I’ve been visiting this site for Summer Glau related news for a long time. Your site is very informative, accessible,well desingned and contains lots of content about my favourite actress of all time

Thank you smile

Quote (Blazius)
I rarely use any forums at all

Me too. After I canceled my accounts on almost all wetpaint wikies this is the only site where I post.

Quote (Blazius)
please forgive me if I'm doing something wrong

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one". ~Elbert Hubbard

Quote (Blazius)
My first topic would be Cape related. Now that they aired the shows last episode on TV, I would like to summarize it a bit, mainly its impact on Summer’s career. Was it really a blessing for her? Did it really help her expand or become more succesful or was it just a wasting of time which burdened her career with another (prematurely) cancelled show? So what do you think?

Well obviously being busy even in a short-lived show is better than just doing nothing. She got an extra record in her resume, some people may have discovered her for the first time, maybe she met new people that could possibly become important for her future (who knows).

Besides that, as I mentioned in another thread, I'm looking forward to Joss Whedon and his "Avengers". I hope he will not miss this chance.

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 4 | Tuesday, 08 Mar 2011 - 09:40
Quote (Blazius)
My first topic would be Cape related.

The first of many to come i hope : that would mean this wiki is stong and same for Summer's news. As you experienced Blazius, this wiki has a News and a Forum section; il like the fact that they are independant but also naturally and easily connected at the same time.

Back on topic : fist of all being on one of the three or four largest broadcast networks (ABC,CBS,NBC and i include Fox) means you get more attention. More attention from the viewers of the show of course but not exclusively. Every media (press, television, radio, online site) is going to refer to the shows on the big 4. I don't read US tv press but i guess "The Cape" had some article, if only the schedule and credit to the cast or ratings. I give you an online example : "The Cape" had a fair amount of coverage on spoilertv.
That was the same on a lot of other online sites (entertainemnt-focused or not).
When NBC decided to promote the show on December 2010, Summer Glau and David Lyons were the public faces of the show; they even had an interview during the Macy Parade on NBC.
That makes a lot of opportunities for Summer Glau to show up and not only one hour every Monday evening.

I think wiki members and lurkers could find interesting point of views on a thread i made one month ago, when it was blatant that The Cape was going to be cancelled :
The Cape was a blessing for Summer!

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Granite Post # 5 | Tuesday, 08 Mar 2011 - 11:34
1. If Orwell-oriented series were at the beginning of the season (which would look strange) things may have turned out differently...

2. Summer was the soul of an advertising campaign by Cape. Throughout the season it very vigorously defended the Cape, despite the criticism and low ratings. Such behavior causes great respect.

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

Blazius Post # 6 | Tuesday, 08 Mar 2011 - 17:00
I’m glad that you think it was more of a blessing than a curse. I’ve been following her career since TSCC (collecting her other shows and movies along the way) and she never ceased to amaze me with her strong unique performances even if she had to play complicated, difficult characters.

I think she did a great job with The Cape too despite the lack of screen time and that the writers never used Orwell to her full potential.

And I kept reading about this ridiculous "Summer Glau Curse” and I started to worry. The Charlie Jane Anders article is very good at adressing the issue, I hope the filmmakers read it too becuse it would be a shame if she couldn’t get a role simply because the producers believe its Summer who caused the cancellations.

1. If Orwell-oriented series were at the beginning of the season (which would look strange) things may have turned out differently...

You’ve just read my mind . It was obivius that one of the reasons they casted Summer was because of her fame among the target audience(as michelangelo correctly pointed it out in his tread) . Moreover reviewers constantly pointed out that Orwell was the only redeeming aspect of the show along with the Carneval of Crime. So why didn’t they use her? It can turn viewers away if they expect her to do a lot of things but they get boring Trip "storylines” instead.

Granite Post # 7 | Tuesday, 08 Mar 2011 - 17:36
Yes, the decision to cancel the Cape was unusually rapid. There are no options, no chance to continue, as soon as possible (just as in war).

In addition, it is worth noting, and strategic errors scenario. The decision to cancel too hasty, has been taken and only to the 1.08 line of Orwell is one of the principal.

If the first season on the planned 13 episodes, Summer would have had additional opportunities to uncover the nature of Orwell ... However, after 1.08 I can say one thing - it was worth smile

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

KrelleK Post # 8 | Wednesday, 09 Mar 2011 - 02:56
yeah I think it was a blessing, hopes she is fast to find on to something new, or something, could the cape go online instead, any chance for more voice work as SuperGirl anytime soon, would like to see her do that again.

any news regarding the missing episode

Fermi Post # 9 | Wednesday, 09 Mar 2011 - 04:23
Quote (KrelleK)
any news regarding the missing episode

no not yet but I'm checking the official site every day we will hear something soon.
there is a sneak peak video clip from the upcoming online episode here:
http://summer-glau.com/news....-05-143

You can't stop the signal!

Blazius Post # 10 | Wednesday, 09 Mar 2011 - 11:36
I hope it will be a heavily edited/refilmed episode instead of the original 10th episode because I really want to see a real Fleming vs Orwell confrontation.
A parent versus child scenario like in The Empire Strikes Back.
Imagine what could Summer do with such a scene.

Granite Post # 11 | Wednesday, 09 Mar 2011 - 13:06
1.10 would seem, edited the final episode. Most likely, Chess will be defeated anyway. But what interests me - what role to play in the Orwell, whether it is in a completely healthy? Screenwriters somehow solve these problems, and now the question is how successfully. I would like to see 1.10 a worthy final accord Cape.

PS - For some reason I seen such an entry - ... by this time Orwell had already regained consciousness ... I hope the authors will be able to build a plausible connection between events. Ah, the three series will be skipped, and Orwell is there a significant role as untimely, arrrgh devil

Message edited by Granite - Wednesday, 09 Mar 2011, 13:28

KrelleK Post # 12 | Wednesday, 09 Mar 2011 - 23:09
Quote (Fermi)
no not yet but I'm checking the official site every day we will hear something soon.
there is a sneak peak video clip from the upcoming online episode here:
http://summer-glau.com/news....-05-143

thanks but i have happened to see that already biggrin

Quote (Blazius)
I hope it will be a heavily edited/refilmed episode instead of the original 10th episode because I really want to see a real Fleming vs Orwell confrontation.
A parent versus child scenario like in The Empire Strikes Back.
Imagine what could Summer do with such a scene.

Yeah a father daughter confrontation could be so cool. that could be beautyfull biggrin

Message edited by KrelleK - Wednesday, 09 Mar 2011, 23:10

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » The Cape » The Cape’s impact on Summer’s career
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: