menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » The Cape » The Cape 1.08 The Lich, part2 : Discussion thread (spoiler)
The Cape 1.08 The Lich, part2 : Discussion thread (spoiler)
Give us your opinion on "The Lich, part2
Fermi Post # 1 | Sunday, 20 Feb 2011 - 12:36
Group: Administrators
Press Release : The Cape , Max and Rollo are forced to rely on Dana’s  legal connections to help them discover The Lich’s whereabouts. Heavily entranced by Conrad Chandler’s potent serum, Orwell  struggles to fight off the physiological and mental effects of the strong dose. Meanwhile, Netta’s (guest star Illeana Douglas) strange loyalty to The Lich is clarified. In a sedated, weak state, Orwell drifts between reality and fantasy sequences, which slowly reveal her history and past.

Vote in the poll after you've seen the episode.
Spoiler tags are not needed.

You can't stop the signal!

KrelleK Post # 2 | Sunday, 20 Feb 2011 - 21:38
Group: Friends
that is going to be hard on Mr.Faraday, and Mrs.F too and Trip if they recognise his voice

but damn its probably going to be hardest of all on Orwell, what ever that stuff does to her it cannot be pleasant, it sounds on what we have heard/read/some might have seen already, that it is going to take/force on a trip down memory lane

wanna see, wanna see biggrin wink

Message edited by KrelleK - Sunday, 20 Feb 2011, 21:43

Marwin Post # 3 | Monday, 21 Feb 2011 - 13:37
shortly speaking TSCC's mid season 2 not even close to this mindf**king. Though Orwell's storyline ending in this ep is quite interesting... like in Inception ))

Devo Post # 4 | Monday, 21 Feb 2011 - 17:08
Much better than part 1, and Summer was fantastic.

It was a good episode imo.

KrelleK Post # 5 | Monday, 21 Feb 2011 - 17:36
What the heck is that door, and is that going to follow her around now, so where ever she go sometime it will just pop up an scare her, and make her sad? and what does it hide, I am sad that she really was not ok just yet, or is she caught in the dream still? hopes she is going to be alright, and hope we see a scene where Cape/Vince founds out who Orwell´s daddy is, and he ca be the hero, and comfort her, a real teary scene wink

SCARY

What did she see on the other side of the door???

biggrin

and is Dana beginning to believe she knows who the cape is?

Message edited by KrelleK - Tuesday, 22 Feb 2011, 19:22

john121984 Post # 6 | Tuesday, 22 Feb 2011 - 04:41
I thought this was one of the best episodes so far. I would like to find out what she saw behind the door. I hope they go into more detail of what she saw in the next episode. maybe it was a memory of what happened to her mom?

chrisdvanne_ Post # 7 | Thursday, 24 Feb 2011 - 01:13
My interpretation of the "Mystery door" is that it's related to a french literary folktale written by Charles Perrault called "Bluebeard" :

Plot summary from Wikipeadia

Bluebeard was an immensely wealthy aristocrat, feared and shunned because of his "frightfully ugly" blue beard. He had been married several times, but no one knew what had become of his wives. When Bluebeard visited one of his neighbours and asked to marry one of her two daughters, the girls were terrified, and each tried to pass him on to the other. Eventually he persuaded the younger daughter to visit him, and after hosting a wonderful banquet, he convinced her to marry him. After the ceremony she went to live with him in his château.

Very shortly after, Bluebeard announced that he must leave the country for a while; he gives all the keys of the chateau to his new wife, telling her they open the doors to rooms which contain his treasures. He tells her to use the keys freely, and enjoy herself whilst he is away. However, he also gives her the key to one small room beneath the castle, stressing to her that she must not enter this room under any circumstances. She vows she will never enter the room. He then goes away and leaves the house in her hands. Immediately she was overcome with the desire to see what the forbidden room holds, and despite warnings from her visiting sister, Anne, the girl abandoned her guests during a house party, and took the key to the room.

The wife immediately discovered the room's horrible secret: its floor is awash with blood, and the murdered bodies of her husband's former wives hung from hooks on the walls. Horrified, she dropped the key into the pool of blood. She fled the room but the blood that had come onto the key would not wash off. She revealed her murderous husband's secret to her sister, and both planned to flee the castle the next day...

We are pretty sure that Jaimie/Fleming split is caused by Fleming killing his wife; that and the door reminds me of "Bluebeard". Jaimie could have been a nosy little girl finding a secret behind close door.
More, we know that Wheeler is familiar with this tale because episode 2 was initially called "Bluebeard" but was later replaced by Tarot (in fact Bluebeard was supposed to be a villain but my guess is that Wheeler made a change of plan).

Edit : as they answered me in the Orwell Board, Bluebeard is more probably Cain who poisened his wifes. Does make sense.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Thursday, 24 Feb 2011, 08:43

chrisdvanne_ Post # 8 | Thursday, 24 Feb 2011 - 08:50
Concerning the episode it self.
Ep. 1.08 was entertaining enough for my taste. Still i expected a bit more of this episode in regard to Summer Glau involvment; as usual, her acting was the best she could do given the script and the few lines she was had. She made the best of that. Summer Glau haters will surely enjoy her "blank face", even if we could feel the pain on her face.
These two episodes were Orwell-centric of course but the revelations we were waiting for are still missing; we knew that Fleming was Orwell's father and that their split was related to her mother since Goggles and Hicks.

Granite Post # 9 | Thursday, 24 Feb 2011 - 16:12
Well, finally I saw it

Well worth it for 1.08 to make Cape biggrin

Of all the series, this - the best by a large margin. Summer was ... Wonderfully good happy

Then - finally, an excellent, dynamic and interesting plot. Himself "the Lich" played a good, original, strong. Actually, the really outstanding are the three things - the line of Orwell, Leech line, and their interaction. "Cape" is good, as always, but in 1.08, IMHO, is not the best episode for him.

Overall - I am very pleased. Screenwriters have shown that they can work properly - the actors also worked perfectly, as always. The only drawback - the eighth episode of the same ... But still, it was great smile

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 10 | Thursday, 24 Feb 2011 - 16:12
Judging from the various reviews online, this episode was considered the best of the serie; that's a win for Summer Glau!

Io9.com writers Charlie Jane Anders says : "The Cape crosses over from campy to creepy, and it’s a beautiful thing"

Last night's episode of The Cape was just as caricaturish and exaggerated as all the previous installments — but this time, there was a hefty dose of creepiness instead of just silliness. And Summer Glau got to play River Tam!

All in all, this was definitely the best episode of The Cape by far — and either I'm getting Stockholm Syndrome, or this was edging closer to "good," rather than "so bad it's good." It's too bad the show had to turn Orwell into more of a victim to get there, but at least this meant lots of wobbly dreamlike imagery and scenes of Orwell struggling to master her reality. This was definitely an episode where The Cape's more grand-guignol style really worked for it, instead of feeling like a comic-book pastiche. Too bad the quality's improving just as the plug is about to be pulled.

Fermi Post # 11 | Friday, 25 Feb 2011 - 00:02
Here is an article about the door in Orwell's hallucinations

http://www.buddytv.com/article....49.aspx

There is also a poll
What does the door in Orwell's hallucinations represent?
The Present she tried hard to keep
The Past she tried hard to keep
The Future she wants to see

You can't stop the signal!

Granite Post # 12 | Friday, 25 Feb 2011 - 11:59
IMHO - hallucinations, Orwell did not express her hidden desires. She showed no particular emotion to the Cape, it is "since Vince in her hallucination does everything that The Lich does in reality".

However - if we assume that Orwell has a steel will and inner discipline, there's really - it consciously - carefully concealing a desire/ unconsciously wants to marry Vince biggrin

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

Message edited by Granite - Friday, 25 Feb 2011, 12:42

Devo Post # 13 | Friday, 25 Feb 2011 - 15:35
If this were HBO I would suspect Chess made his bomber jacket and mask out of Orwell's mom... surprised

Since this is network I don't think it would have been as grimdark, but probably something similar. He murdered her, or walled her up as a prisoner... since it is implied that Orwell was something of a prisoner of his as a child.

The music in that scene seemed to suggest that it was something horrific.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 14 | Friday, 25 Feb 2011 - 15:36
Quote (Granite)
IMHO - hallucinations, Orwell did not express her hidden desires. She showed no particular emotion to the Cape, it is "since Vince in her hallucination does everything that The Lich does in reality". However - if we assume that Orwell has a steel will and inner discipline, there's really - it consciously - carefully concealing a desire/ unconsciously wants to marry Vince

I disagree with buddytv blogger; i think Orwell has deep feelings for Vince.

Granite Post # 15 | Friday, 25 Feb 2011 - 17:01
@ michelangelo -

Would be interesting ... But apparently those feelings - the unconscious. Orwell absolutely calmly communicate to Vince in hallucinations. Although it is in the final scene - Orwell, Vince and Max in the circus - is experiencing a significant concern. IMHO, a variant of the hidden, but conscious emotions is less likely.

PS - After 01.08 there is something as to break a head biggrin

Message edited by Granite - Friday, 25 Feb 2011, 23:23

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » The Cape » The Cape 1.08 The Lich, part2 : Discussion thread (spoiler)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: