menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » River with boots on or barefoot? (Poll)
River with boots on or barefoot?
River with boots or no?
1.River with boots on[ 3 ][14.29%]
2.River barefoot[ 18 ][85.71%]
3.1[ 0 ][0.00%]
Poll has expired - Sunday, 25 Dec 2011, 05:29
Answers total: 21
termi-ninja-torDate: Thursday, 15 Dec 2011, 00:10 | Message # 31
Group: Friends
Quote (FordStaff)
I think they make her look taller and shape her calves attractively.

That is the point of high heels.

O. I see. And I thought the point of high heels was always at the bottom of the stiletto shaft and sometimes at the tip of the pointy toe. lol

termi-ninja-torDate: Thursday, 15 Dec 2011, 00:12 | Message # 32
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
I see a lot of pics of Summer where she is wearing high heels at events where most of the women do wear high heels. She always seems quite natural in them, never uncomfortable. I think they make her look taller and shape her calves attractively.

As you said :
TRON: Legacy Los Angeles Premiere

It makes sense that someone who was trained in ballet to stand and walk on tiptoe should not be ill-at-ease wearing high heels.

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 15 Dec 2011, 01:43 | Message # 33
Quote (riversfeet)
Now granted, it may have to do with me being one of few guys that doesn't see the appeal of high heels on a woman, but whenever I see Summer in heels, all I think about is, "Damn, she must be so uncomfortable in those things."

I share this sentiment. It forces womens feet into a very unnatural position and that is not healthy. I'm saying this about every women BTW not just Summer that I don't find them more attractive in these shoes because I constantly worry about that it must be unpleasant to wear them. It came up with women before BTW and they said that I shouldn't worry because its comfortable and all but I don't believe them TBH. Later they'll have any kinds of problems out of it but they won't even know why.

So I think women should wear normal shoes instead or if somebody like Summer likes the barefoot approach she should wear a nice pair of socks at least.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 16 Dec 2011, 15:02 | Message # 34
Group: Administrators
Let me reproduce here an article intented for riversfeet at first sight but since he probably knows it i leave it to all the Wiki members :

Joss Whedon Clearly Has a Foot Fetish at cracked.com

If geek fandom was a high school, Whedon would be its resident golden boy jock. Some might consider him an ass**** for killing prematuraly characters we love, but he does have a lot going for him, like Buffy, Firefly and Dr. Horrible. And now, he's even directing the Avengers movie, which in this metaphor is like scoring with the school's entire cheerleading squad. At once.

When you really think about it, it's not that often that you see bare feet on the little screen. Unless you're watching a Joss Whedon joint, in which case there seems to be all sorts of opportunities for his lady and gentleman stars to shuck footwear. Like in the space western Firefly, where society has apparently abolished all shoes other than the sandal:

Summer Glau as River Tam - Foot fetish

To be fair, most of these do belong to Summer Glau's character, River, who was supposed to be the show's psychic warrior dancer of sorts (you know how all dancers hate shoes). Besides, how do we explain the fact that Whedon's most famous series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, is virtually feet free? Easy. He was just saving it all for Buffy's spin-off series, Angel, particularly with (but not limited to) Amy Acker's character, Fred, who never met a floor surface her feet didn't like:

But don't go thinking that just because we saw only women flashing their toes, Whedon's supposed hard-on for feminism is bullshit (Note from me : the article links to another article on the same site; this statement is not to be taken seriously). Perish the thought! Nothing gets Whedon hotter than gender equality, and that's why his next series, Dollhouse, even featured barefoot guys! (Among the dozen or so women constantly running around with no shoes on.)

Side note : Cracked is an humoristic website and the offensive statements of the article have only one goal, make you click to others offensive articles on the same site.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

termi-ninja-torDate: Friday, 16 Dec 2011, 16:17 | Message # 35
Thanks chrisdvanne. Funny article -- it certainly covers the subject.

I recognize the Firefly/Serenity pics except for the one with Jayne lying on a bed with a foot to his chin. Can someone remind me where that was from?

Also, one pic I expected but did not see was a shot of Kaylee and Simon from Objects in Space, where she playfully shoves him in the cheek with her foot as River is quietly observing their conversation.

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 16 Dec 2011, 16:30 | Message # 36
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
Also, one pic I expected but did not see was a shot of Kaylee and Simon from Objects in Space, where she playfully shoves him in the cheek with her foot as River is quietly observing their conversation.

This reinforces further the theory, not that we didn't knew it wink

riversfeetDate: Friday, 16 Dec 2011, 18:38 | Message # 37
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
I recognize the Firefly/Serenity pics except for the one with Jayne lying on a bed with a foot to his chin. Can someone remind me where that was from?

It's from the next-to-last episode "Heart of Gold". The foot belongs to a, *ahem* "companion".

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

termi-ninja-torDate: Friday, 16 Dec 2011, 22:00 | Message # 38
Quote (riversfeet)
It's from the next-to-last episode "Heart of Gold". The foot belongs to a, *ahem* "companion".

Aha. Thanks for explaining.

I could tell it was not River's foot because the arch was higher. Summer has a normal arch and a low instep, while the foot in the pic seemed to have a high arch (couldn't see the instep well enough to tell if it was high, too). Of course, Summer was a good ballet dancer despite not having a high arch because her foot seems quite flexible, allowing her to come to a proper pointe.

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 23 Dec 2011, 18:10 | Message # 39
Firefly - River's Feet

The 11th character of Firefly, finally get a tribute video!

biggrin
The video also includes the scene termi-ninja-tor mentioned in post #35.

riversfeetDate: Friday, 23 Dec 2011, 18:36 | Message # 40
I made that video!

I've been wanting to do a Part 2, but I don't have the video capturing resources anymore.

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

termi-ninja-torDate: Friday, 23 Dec 2011, 18:50 | Message # 41
Quote (riversfeet)
I made that video!

Nice work!

You got all the essential scenes with River's feet. (Understandably, the actual footage of Kaylee shoving Simon in the face with her foot was not River and thus not included.)

riversfeetDate: Friday, 23 Dec 2011, 19:25 | Message # 42
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
You got all the essential scenes with River's feet. (Understandably, the actual footage of Kaylee shoving Simon in the face with her foot was not River and thus not included.)

I'm still missing one shot of her walking barefoot from "Bushwacked", a few moments from "Ariel" when her feet are on-camera, her and Kaylee playing jacks at the end of "Objects in Space", and of course the scenes from the heist in "Serenity", and her dream sequence.

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 24 Dec 2011, 00:40 | Message # 43
Quote (riversfeet)
I made that video!

Why am i not surprised it was from you? biggrin

riversfeetDate: Thursday, 19 Jan 2012, 00:33 | Message # 44
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Why am i not surprised it was from you?

Hm. Let's count the ways..

1. My username relates to River's often bare feet
2. My Avatar is a pic of River's bare feet.
3. My signature is a quote of Summer saying being barefoot a lot is her favorite thing about River.

Shall I go one? tongue

riversfeetDate: Sunday, 19 Feb 2012, 20:10 | Message # 45
Here's a short story a Browncoat wrote about River and her feet.

http://exsequar.dreamwidth.org/155809.html

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » River with boots on or barefoot? (Poll)
Search: