[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 1 of 41234»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » River with boots on or barefoot? (Poll)
River with boots on or barefoot?
River with boots or no?
1.River with boots on[ 3 ][14.29%]
2.River barefoot[ 18 ][85.71%]
3.1[ 0 ][0.00%]
Poll has expired - Sunday, 25 Dec 2011, 05:29
Answers total: 21
riversfeetDate: Sunday, 11 Dec 2011, 05:29 | Message # 1
Group: Friends
I pick barefoot. River was just so cute wandering around the ship that way.

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

FordStaffDate: Sunday, 11 Dec 2011, 05:44 | Message # 2
I like both, It would not be River without wandering the ship barefoot, but the combat boots also belong. They gave her those boots to represent visually her hidden bad-ass side, but River's feet are the 11th character of Firefly so my vote go to that.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Sunday, 11 Dec 2011, 05:45

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 11 Dec 2011, 09:24 | Message # 3
Group: Administrators
Hi riversfeet, and welcome to the Summer Glau Wiki.

You know what, when i saw your username yesterday on the forum, i had the idea to create a thread centered about River's bare feet but you beat me biggrin

River's bare feet are certainly an important element of her character : one could say like FordStaff that it represents her innocence while the combat boots represents her badass side. I like that kind of metaphorical characterization in movie and tv but i honestly couldn't say if it's the case here.

We should create a thread dedicated to the way Firefly's characters are depicted through some strong visual elements : barefoot River, Jayne's weapon's,...
I'm sure it could be fun to add relevant screencaps or pics.

Side note : if you like riversfeet, you could write a word or two on the "Please introduce yourself" thread so that other members could greet you smile

Edit : i didn't notice you already told a few words on the "When did you first become a fan of Summer Glaus work?" thread. Still i think it's better to repeat them in the dedicated thread because others might have missed them.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Sunday, 11 Dec 2011, 09:33

FordStaffDate: Sunday, 11 Dec 2011, 09:36 | Message # 4
i honestly couldn't say if it's the case here.

We should create a thread dedicated to the way Firefly's characters are depicted through some strong visual elements : barefoot River, Jayne's weapon's,...

DVD commentary on the episode "Shindig" has Joss Whedon and some costume person, and they say the boots are meant to be a visual representation of the hidden side of River, so it is not just me saying this. Also of notice is the fact that the Independents of the crew Zoe and Mal are always wearing earthy colors, while Simon and Book wear blue hues quite often - Alliance do the same wink . The rest I forget, but there were many things that are quite deliberate, and reflect the actual characters.

River's bare feet are certainly an important element of her character

When she is barefoot, it is often when she is wandering around the ship. She is very touchy with the ship, I took it to mean that she really likes "Serenity" a lot, and wants that physical touch with the ship that being barefoot provides. Also she is just a quirky character in general, we never get to find out much about these types of things (like why she loves space so much) which makes me angry angry .

Message edited by FordStaff - Sunday, 11 Dec 2011, 09:45

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 11 Dec 2011, 09:52 | Message # 5
Thanks FordStaff!
I made several posts about visual elements like these in movies/tv in the "Easter eggs and other (hidden) messages in movies/tv shows" thread and your answer fits perfectly this thread.

riversfeetDate: Sunday, 11 Dec 2011, 19:47 | Message # 6
Quote (FordStaff)
When she is barefoot, it is often when she is wandering around the ship. She is very touchy with the ship, I took it to mean that she really likes "Serenity" a lot, and wants that physical touch with the ship that being barefoot provides.

Joss I believe says something along those lines in the "Objects in Space" commentary.

Also, there's a moment in the Serenity script that's not in the film. When the crew are about ready to go on the heist after the start of the film, Simon tries to hand River her boots, and she just brushes them away. Possibly to indicate that River just prefers to be barefoot in general. I kinda wish that moment was included.

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

BlaziusDate: Monday, 12 Dec 2011, 02:45 | Message # 7
Quote (FordStaff)
When she is barefoot, it is often when she is wandering around the ship. She is very touchy with the ship, I took it to mean that she really likes "Serenity" a lot, and wants that physical touch with the ship that being barefoot provides. Also she is just a quirky character in general, we never get to find out much about these types of things (like why she loves space so much) which makes me angry

Thats right. Its seems that River and Early both developed some kind of odd fetish towards objects and they like to touch them. And they both think that Serenity is some kind of perfection so they like it the most( Early even tasted it once, remember). Also they both like to redefine the meaning of some objects in both cases with guns, for example when River says when she holds the gun (appearing as a tree branch for her) that "Its just an object, it doesn't mean what you think"

Whedon got these ideas from a novel if memory serves.

Of course Summer was more than happy for the barefoot parts since she doesn't like wearing shoes herself( maybe that caused Whedon to write River that way in the first place).

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaffDate: Monday, 12 Dec 2011, 02:55 | Message # 8
( Early even tasted it once, remember)

That was not about any fascination with Serenity, it was just suppose to be creepy and strange. The spot he licks on the bar is where River was shown to be ease dropping on the crew as they discussed her, she was in splits with her feet on the bars of the cross walk. This does not help the case for Joss Whedon's foot fetish.

Also they both like to redefine the meaning of some objects in both cases with guns, for example when River says when she holds the gun (appearing as a tree branch for her) that "Its just an object, it doesn't mean what you think"

This is more about philosophy, specifically existentialism - which boils down to purpose being what we make it even for life in general. So this is more an Author tract than anything, but it is not glaringly strange since both the characters are messed up.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 12 Dec 2011, 03:23 | Message # 9
Quote (FordStaff)
That was not about any fascination with Serenity, it was just suppose to be creepy and strange. The spot he licks on the bar is where River was shown to be ease dropping on the crew as they discussed her, she was in splits with her feet on the bars of the cross walk. This does not help the case for Joss Whedon's foot fetish.

That was the in-universe explanation too? Or there was none because Early is just mad and does weird things?

Quote (FordStaff)
This is more about philosophy, specifically existentialism - which boils down to purpose being what we make it even for life in general. So this is more an Author tract than anything, but it is not glaringly strange since both the characters are messed up.

Yeah, that was a book written by a philosopher of existentialism Jean-Paul Sartre( I looked it up). The episode guide also says that Whedon also had a similar experience once( IDK, I'm not following Whedon much, thats interesting through)

Nonetheless I felt it strange that Whedon put it together with the touchyness of River( it wasn't shown before if I remember correctly just her fascination with space). Why did he connect these two things in one episode? I'm also not very familiar with existentialist philosophy so maybe I missed the point.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaffDate: Monday, 12 Dec 2011, 03:43 | Message # 10

That was the in-universe explanation too? Or there was none because Early is just mad and does weird things?

There is no in-universe explanation, as far as I know, besides the fact that Early is just weird. I assumed it has nothing to do with the ship, if it did why would they have him lick the spot that his target (River) had been at very recently? I have not seen the Commentary for this episode yet, perhaps they say something about it.

Nonetheless I felt it strange that Whedon put it together with the touchyness of River( it wasn't shown before if I remember correctly just her fascination with space). Why did he connect these two things in one episode? I'm also not very familiar with existentialist philosophy so maybe I missed the point.

The touchiness of River has been shown in many episodes before this one particularly with the ship - although she is pretty touchy in general with random stuff like the stuff in the store in "Safe", remember Simon running around getting her to put the ho down? Her touchiness with the ship was shown more than her fascination with space I would say, the space moments are just more memorable because she is always really happy when that happens contrary to her normal demeanor.

I have not watched the commentary on the episode so I do not know why he decided to use River's psychosis and touchiness as a vehicle for the existential musings of the episode. May-by he did it just because it made it more surreal than just having characters discuss it, I am not going to complain the episode was one of the greatest episodes I have ever seen of any show, and that is before I even consider the underlying philosophical musings. More than anything else I wish we had seen more of "River Vision" that was made of win.

Message edited by FordStaff - Monday, 12 Dec 2011, 03:46

termi-ninja-torDate: Monday, 12 Dec 2011, 06:12 | Message # 11
Summer's feet are prettier to look at than Army boots. Even in TSCC, her footwear was pretty dull -- Army boots most of the time. We saw ballet shoes in The Demon Hand, knee high boots in Vick's Chip and Automatic for the People, and high heels in Strange Things Happen at the One Two Point. Seems terminators are almost never barefoot, except right after a time jump.

riversfeetDate: Monday, 12 Dec 2011, 08:12 | Message # 12
There was the episode where Cameron is sticking her bare feet out John's truck window and saying she just wanted to know the feeling of air blowing through her toes.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 12 Dec 2011, 12:46 | Message # 13
Quote (riversfeet)
There was the episode where Cameron is sticking her bare feet out John's truck window and saying she just wanted to know the feeling of air blowing through her toes.

Season 2 Episode 9 : Complications

John: What are you doing?
Cameron: Feeling what it's like to get away from it all.
John: I don't think you are.
Cameron: What do you mean?
John: If by 'feelings' you mean emotions, I'm pretty sure you don't have any of those. And if by 'feeling' you mean what it feels like to have the wind blow between your toes or your hair, I'm pretty sure you can't feel that either.
Cameron: I don't think you understand how we work...I have sensation. I feel. I wouldn't be worth much if I couldn't feel.

Summer Glau as Cameron Phillips in TSCC :

Cameron is also barefoot in Season 2 Episode 3 : The Mousetrap, when she measures the drift of the house.

Cameron Phillips: This is the absolute center of the house.
John Connor: [unenthusiastic] Excellent, good work.
Cameron Phillips: The house is moving.
John Connor: What...?
Cameron Phillips: Moving. The east by southeast section of the house is moving.
John Connor: Really. Where's it going?
Cameron Phillips: Down. At a rate of point nine three millimeters per year.
John Connor: And what? Does that affect the security system or, uh, sidelines with the night scope - how does this affect the safety of one John Connor?
Cameron Phillips: It doesn't. But next time we're going to have to repaint.

You can also find me on
Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

termi-ninja-torDate: Monday, 12 Dec 2011, 17:12 | Message # 14
Quote (chrisdvanne)

Bloggers

Season 2 Episode 9 : Complications

John: What are you doing?
Cameron: Feeling what it's like to get away from it all.
John: I don't think you are.
Cameron: What do you mean?
John: If by 'feelings' you mean emotions, I'm pretty sure you don't have any of those. And if by 'feeling' you mean what it feels like to have the wind blow between your toes or your hair, I'm pretty sure you can't feel that either.
Cameron: I don't think you understand how we work...I have sensation. I feel. I wouldn't be worth much if I couldn't feel.

Cameron is also barefoot in Season 2 Episode 3 : The Mousetrap, when she measures the drift of the house.

Cameron Phillips: This is the absolute center of the house.
John Connor: [unenthusiastic] Excellent, good work.
Cameron Phillips: The house is moving.
John Connor: What...?
Cameron Phillips: Moving. The east by southeast section of the house is moving.
John Connor: Really. Where's it going?
Cameron Phillips: Down. At a rate of point nine three millimeters per year.
John Connor: And what? Does that affect the security system or, uh, sidelines with the night scope - how does this affect the safety of one John Connor?
Cameron Phillips: It doesn't. But next time we're going to have to repaint.

Oh yes. Thanks for the reminder.

When I first saw the foot-out-the-window scene, I wondered what it was all about. She could have done the whole scene with just her hand out the window -- the dialog would have been essentially the same. Why the foot? Was she flirting with John? If so, he clearly wasn't responding positively to it. I still don't get it.

And I didn't even notice that she was barefoot in the center-of-the-house scene. The dialog was very strange. Were they trying to show that she still wasn't quite recovered and thus still acting strangely? I still don't get this one either.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 12 Dec 2011, 17:49 | Message # 15
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
When I first saw the foot-out-the-window scene, I wondered what it was all about. She could have done the whole scene with just her hand out the window -- the dialog would have been essentially the same. Why the foot? Was she flirting with John? If so, he clearly wasn't responding positively to it. I still don't get it.

And I didn't even notice that she was barefoot in the center-of-the-house scene. The dialog was very strange. Were they trying to show that she still wasn't quite recovered and thus still acting strangely? I still don't get this one either.

You stole my lines!
While i was waiting for more John/Cameron interaction, those scenes were quite confusing; the first one would have been a great character development moment if John showed confusion but it was not filmed that way, he rather showed anger. The second one is pretty much useless, not even funny; TSCC writers made a few similar ones to show Cameron's confusion but it was not TSCC's best scenes imo.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » River with boots on or barefoot? (Poll)
Page 1 of 41234»
Search: