menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » Would you like to see Summer Glau in Serenity 2?
Would you like to see Summer Glau in Serenity 2?
ChrisDate: Friday, 27 Apr 2012, 13:14 | Message # 46
Group: Friends
Jewel Staite, Morena Bacarin, Summer Glau, Gina Torres (in no particular order)

I think Serenity 2 would have plenty of the right ingredients to lure the young male audience to the movie and what's more they wouldn't have pointless roles like so many of the other female leads have had in large movies, you could take that character out of the movie and the story would barely be affected or in some cases probably be improved.

I agree with REG I went to see Transformers because I'm a fan of it back from the cartoon days but somewhere along the line it stopped being a great movie trilogy and became about special effects and the lead female in #3... *sigh* Megan Fox is way hotter IMO

REGDate: Saturday, 28 Apr 2012, 14:40 | Message # 47
^^ i agree. those actresses are more than eye candy. they actually add to the story, have fleshed out characters, and aren't there just to lure in the male demographic of 18-24.

Quote (Chris)
somewhere along the line it stopped being a great movie trilogy and became about special effects

the first movie felt like a 2 hour car ad lol. the second wasn't much better. the third one was how it should be done even though it had it's flaws. at least it had some of the mythology from the animated series from the 80s.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 18 Jun 2012, 18:13 | Message # 48
Group: Administrators
Firefly fandom talked about in SFX blog :

With people still clamouring for Firefly to return years after its cancellation and the axing of classic Doctor Who still leaving a bitter taste in mouth of fans, is there a statute of limitation on crimes against fandom? Do you think it’s healthy that fandom never forgets and a lot of the time never forgives?

Source : http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/06/16/blogbusters-sci-fi-bitching/

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 18 Jun 2012, 18:28

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 14 Sep 2012, 23:17 | Message # 49
Serenity on Digital Spy's list of "Best & Worst TV to Movie Remakes"

BEST! - Serenity (2005)
Cancelled after just one short, brilliant season, Joss Whedon got a second crack at Firefly with this epic space Western that reunited the original cast.

robboDate: Saturday, 15 Sep 2012, 01:36 | Message # 50
serenity to me is the best sc-fi film that i have seen dont know whether im been bias because summer glau is in it but to me its got everything in it humour ,action,punchlines,great storylines and summer at her best even i think most of her own stuntwork when she trained with somebody from the far east regarding summer starring in a serenity 2 would be music to my ears it would be fantastic cant understand why joss whedon didnt make a second film to me it had the storylines for another film they did all that hard work putting serenity back together again after its crash dodging the reavers in a certain way i dont think the film sort of wraps things up from firefly it could of gone further maybe 2 or 3 films but everybody has a different opinion on the film sad

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 15 Sep 2012, 05:24 | Message # 51
Quote (robbo)
cant understand why joss whedon didnt make a second film

Serenity was not profitable, it hardly recouped its budget, that's why there was no sequel.

Production Budget: $39 million
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $25,514,517
+ Foreign: $13,354,947
= Worldwide: $38,869,464

Universal Pictures told Whedon that the movie had to make $80 Millions at the box office in order to continue the franchise but it didn't happen.

Summer Glau, Joss Whedon and Nathan Fillion at the "Serenity" London Premiere in London on 5th October 2005; Whedon talks in jest about the sequels.

HicksDate: Saturday, 15 Sep 2012, 07:52 | Message # 52
Uh, duh.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

robboDate: Saturday, 15 Sep 2012, 18:05 | Message # 53
thanks chrisdvanne for the info on serenity didnt really know whether it made a profit or loss or not its a shame like i thought it was a great film its that famous word again money

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 09 Feb 2013, 18:26 | Message # 54
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Summer Glau, Joss Whedon and Nathan Fillion at the "Serenity" London Premiere in London on 5th October 2005; Whedon talks in jest about the sequels.

I have reproduced the matching written interview, published at Empire Online on 05 October 2005. Lots and lots of fun to be had in this article. Just wait till you see who is lined up to play Mal in Serenity 4 (not on the video)

Serenity Now
Joss and the show come to town

They just couldn't stop the signal tonight as the Serenity premiere landed in London with style, panache and more brown coats and bobble hats than we've ever seen in one place before. With Joss Whedon, criminal mastermind and creator of the film, as well as leads Summer Glau and Nathan Fillion and bad guy (but lovely bloke) Chiwetel Ejiofor in attendance, the crowds were spoiled for choice, and frankly more than a little geeked out.

And as you'd expect from this particular starship crew, the the chat was in full flow. First up was Mr Ejiofor, one of Blighty's finest and the only major addition to the existing 'Firefly' cast for the movie, as the sinister Operative. "I had a great time on the film, they were a great bunch of people to work with. It was definitely fun to play, and it was great because Joss has such a clear idea of where to take the Operative and what he wanted out of it, so it was easy to just hang on his coattails really."

After that was the very lovely Ms Summer Glau, the actress behind Serenity's slightly barmy, definitely psychic and totally kick-ass River Tam. "I never thought it would be like this. Gorgeous feature; I'm still in it, I haven't been replaced, I'm on the poster, it doesn't get much better than this."

So who would win in a fight – River or Buffy?

"Well, am I gonna tell you Buffy? I gotta have some confidence, right? But I don't think I want to find out. I'm sure she's a really nice lady."

Last of the cast, but by no means least (he'd want us to emphasise that) was Mr Nathan Fillion, aka Captain Mal Reynolds, square-jawed hero and all-round icon of badassness, in a fetching brown coat (of course). "If you told me when Firefly was cancelled that I'd be in London at the premiere, I'd say you were drunk and lying. Like Joss. I was three weeks into filming before I finally realised that no one was going to take it away." (Note from our lawyers: He was joking. There's no evidence that Joss Whedon is a liar with a drinking problem.)

The question we wanted to know, of course, was whether he thought his Mal would ever get together with love interest (sort of) Inara. "I think if Moonlighting taught us anything, it's that once you put the two of them together, it’s over, man! That's a jumping the shark moment." Hmm, so peg that one for the moment when they're nearing retirement, then.

But there was one more person to come, one who bestrode Leicester Square like a very small Colossus, as fanboys fell and worshipped at his feet. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it could only be Joss Whedon, and he was on fine form.

"The moment Firefly was cancelled I imagined I would be in this position tonight, because that's the only way to get in this position here tonight is to be stubborn to the point of insanity. So I just absolutely said, "This will not die; this will be a movie; and then people will love it, and will come out in droves to the premiere in London." That's pretty much how it went."

His crystal ball is clearly working on overdrive, so we asked him about his thoughts on Serenity 2 and 3. "Serenity 2 and 3 – that's where I really got self-indulgent and clearly it wasn't about the art anymore. It was just about me having a good time and quite frankly I left the audience behind. The second one made a lot of money, but by the third one they were tired of me, and it really dipped in the box office."

And Serenity 4?

"Oh, it goes straight to DVD and stars Scott Baio instead of Nathan."

Ladies and gentlemen, you heard it here first.

Source: Empire Online

chrisdvanne_Date: Thursday, 07 Mar 2013, 16:43 | Message # 55
Extract from a Summer Glau interview published in Still Flying Fanzine issue 3 (Feb. 2005)

What's the funniest thing that happened while on set (TV and movie)? How
would you compare filming the TV series vs. the movie?

Choosing the funniest moments is so hard when you work with the group I do. Nathan loves to make us laugh at the worst moments. I think we laugh more than any other cast in town. The main difference between the series and the movie is – actually, there really wasn’t much of a difference except for the theme song from Jurassic Park. Our trailers were just over the fence from Universal theme park.
Sometimes during our lunch break we would run over there to ride the rides

For those who haven't got the chance to visit Universal theme park, here's the Jurassic Park River Adventure at Universal Studios Hollywood Theme Park.

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 27 Mar 2013, 09:19 | Message # 56
Erin, as well as a bunch of other Firefly fans, got the opportunity to play an extra on set of Serenity, back in 2005.

Here's a photo and the story of her encounter with Summer Glau on set:

Emboldened by our first failure to make contact, I finally gather my courage and approach one of the cast, Summer Glau. I think I picked her because she was the youngest and newest to Hollywood. I politely introduced myself and the group as fans and briefly explained our presence and how we got there. She was so kind and came over to the table to say Hi and take some pictures before we all had to go back to work.

Behind the Scenes
Source: Chasing Firefly: Confessions of a Rabid Fan-Girl

chrisdvanne_Date: Thursday, 13 Jun 2013, 21:36 | Message # 57
Behind-the-scenes photos from the set of the Serenity (no Summer Glau unfortunately but you can see Nathan Fillion, Joss Whedon and Morena Baccarin)

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 25 Sep 2013, 05:55 | Message # 58
Serenity Comic Confirmed To Pick Up After The Events Of The Movie

Dark Horse comics has been teasing Browncoats something fierce of late. They’ve been hinting at a new Firefly/Serenity comic series in the works, but they weren’t providing many details. At first, they teased us with some art and hashtags, but the real fun came in a recently released image that strongly seemed to suggest that this new Serenity series was going to pick up after the events of Joss Whedon’s 2005 movie, finally continuing the story fans have been desperate for more of for years now. Dark Horse has finally confirmed those rumors, giving fans the third-best thing we could have hoped for. (The first and second are an actual new film or TV project, but we’re counting our blessings.)

Serenity Comic Confirmed To Pick Up After The Events Of The Movie

Read full article here.

John85Date: Wednesday, 25 Sep 2013, 11:46 | Message # 59
I think a video game would be a good way to continue the Firefly story.
1. A lot of the Sci-fi fandom plays video games.
2. We'd get to play as Summer/River
3. It would be fun.
4. If they made a Fire Fly MMO like SyFy did for #Defiance
it could support a TV movie for Fire Fly to cover more of the story.

An MMO could allow players to buy their own Fire Fly, assemble a crew, pick up missions,
Carry out quests on different planets & fight reavers & bandits.
Leveling up your crew & buying them gear such as clothes, weapons, utilitys etc.

I'm on twitter @LMennellFans & @JP_1085

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 15 Feb 2014, 10:02 | Message # 60
Comic Book Resources has unveiled an exclusive four-page preview of 'Serenity: Leaves On The Wind #2'. Summer Glau's River Tam is now the pilot of the Serenity ship in this continuation of the world of Joss Whedon's space-western Firefly and its follow-up film Serenity in comic book form that picks up 9 months after Serenity‘s conclusion.
The second opus of the six issue mini-series from Dark Horse Comics, written by Zack Whedon and illustrated by Georges Jeanty, will be available on February 26, 2014.

Here's the synopsis of 'Serenity: Leaves On The Wind #2':

Forced out of hiding, Serenity’s crew gets separated, and it becomes clear that everyone looking for the outlaws is on the verge of finding them. River offers to uncover the secrets that are hidden within her in the hope that the crew might have something to bargain with.

River Tam in Serenity: Leaves On The Wind #2
River Tam in 'Serenity: Leaves On The Wind #2'.

Watch the four-page 'Serenity: Leaves On The Wind #2' preview in the Blog section.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » Would you like to see Summer Glau in Serenity 2?
Search: