menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » Would you like to see Summer Glau in Serenity 2?
Would you like to see Summer Glau in Serenity 2?
chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 24 Oct 2011, 12:46 | Message # 31
Group: Administrators
It looks like all we've been saying about Joss Whedon forgeting about his alumni or living in another planet is BS.

Joss Whedon's secret Shakespeare movie.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FordStaffDate: Monday, 24 Oct 2011, 21:54 | Message # 32
Group: Friends
To be fair Blazius was claiming that Whedon is abandoning the alumni now that he is going to the next level and this does not contradict that.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 24 Oct 2011, 22:48 | Message # 33
Quote (FordStaff)
To be fair Blazius was claiming that Whedon is abandoning the alumni now that he is going to the next level and this does not contradict that.

Exactly. There is no guarantee that he will retain his current behavior toward them but in fact if he doesn't it might be the better-case scenario for us.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaffDate: Monday, 24 Oct 2011, 22:58 | Message # 34
How would that be a better case scenario? I am speaking as fan of many of Joss Whedon's actors not just Summer. I see no benefit in it.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 24 Oct 2011, 23:05 | Message # 35
Quote (FordStaff)
How would that be a better case scenario? I am speaking as fan of many of Joss Whedon's actors not just Summer. I see no benefit in it.

Because that could mean he has problems personally with Summer which might not only mean that he doesn't help Summer but that he will maybe try to work against her in which case I'd burn down his house.

I don't say this will happen exactly but he abandoning only Summer is the worst case scenario at least for me and others who care for her above the others.

Note that i'm only exploring possibilities so I don't say this will happen but that this can happen.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

reiverDate: Monday, 24 Oct 2011, 23:47 | Message # 36
Quote (Blazius)
I'd burn down his house.

relax dude!! :)

because there is no summer in this 2 films does not mean that she abandon her ..! my opinion!
and from what I know from interviews of summer glau recent and past that has put even talking to him for assessment so all these are simply rumors because we havent any clues about it!!!

i'm blind not deaf - IllidaN

KrelleKDate: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 07:38 | Message # 37
Quote (michelangelo)
Should this occur, would you like Summer Glau to be a part of it?

Cameron: He’s not a guy. He’s a scary robot.
Charley: He’s a scary robot? But you? You’re a VERY scary robot.

Sorry been out of the loop a lfew little weeks, :-) but damn right i want my angel back in her role as one of her alter egoes - River Tam :-) so yes I hope if it is going to happen. :-)

FordStaffDate: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 07:43 | Message # 38
but damn right i want my angel back in her role as one of her alter egoes - River Tam :-) so yes I hope if it is going to happen. :-)

Everyone wants it. I imagine it could be just like this-

KrelleKDate: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 09:19 | Message # 39
Quote (FordStaff)
but damn right i want my angel back in her role as one of her alter egoes - River Tam :-) so yes I hope if it is going to happen. :-)

Everyone wants it. I imagine it could be just like this-

IN big movie villain roar: HAHAHAHAHAHHA... Yeah. LOL could be fun

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 06 Feb 2012, 14:22 | Message # 40
While waiting for Serenity 2, here's a collector : Universal Pictures official Press Release announcing Serenity premiere in Los Angeles on the 22nd of September, 2005.

Serenity LA

More pictures of Summer Glau and the cast on the Gallery.

AlexDate: Monday, 06 Feb 2012, 18:22 | Message # 41
Group: Bloggers
I would like to see Summer in Serenity 2 but as has been stated, it would have to be in a new story set much further in the future. I have read the comics from Black Horse press and as I understand it, those stories encompassed the original Serenity 2 and 3 films. In those stories, River is emerging but she is still the essential River that she was in Serenity.

I think what has to be accepted is that it is a miracle when good work comes out of the Hollywood system that is both profitable and is a damn good story. There is so much at stake and so many ways in which a creative vision can be derailed that using the term miracle may be somewhat of an understatement.

Whedon I am sure likes all of the cast but is my understanding that he is very aware of how Hollywood works as he is a second generation TV writer and now, as an auteur, he has the scars and bite marks to show for the experience he has gained. He is a pragmatist. Unless he gains power and influence, it will always be difficult to do the work he would like and of course to work with whom he would like.

I think also that he regards actors as a sort of commodity or even a set of tools. He needs the best person for the job. He is willing to work with anyone (with the possible exception of certain past or present employees of Fox) to make his films. I believe the best chance that he and the crew of Serenity have of working together again is if he takes the approach of Peter Jackson in becoming more of an executive producer. Jackson sponsored the work of Neil Bloomkamp on District 9 which I thought was a good film that came out of a very effective partnership. Jackson also produced Tin Tin with Spielberg as the director, another good partnership. So, I believe that Whedon could produce films and TV series that involve Summer but he isn't quite the powerful figure that he needs to be yet to work within a partnership framework either as director or producer.

Whedon is a very complex person. I believe he regards the financial success as a means to an end but that his art is the most important thing. At times, given his self-deprecating sense of humour, I get the sense he is constantly struggling to reconcile what he wants to do (as a kind, gentle, sensitive, and intelligent artist) with what he has to become in order to survive and prosper which is analytical, calculating, possessed of a hard outer shell, and able to wield power effectively. In that dialectic (as I see it, a conflict of opposing views), he has to make a lot of hard decisions.

Summer has her strengths. She is truly a great actress I believe by any measure but she is not an end in itself. Choosing her for any role means that there is a story that she can help to tell, a creative team that wants her, and a good enough argument to convince the money people to involve her. To me, the decision to cast Summer should be a no brainer but then, I am not privy to all the facts, prejudices, biases, and other bits of information that people use to make the decision to cast Summer. All I can do is hope for the best and try to support an ongoing discussion about how great an actress she is.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 06 Feb 2012, 18:56 | Message # 42
Quote (Alex)
Unless he gains power and influence, it will always be difficult to do the work he would like and of course to work with whom he would like.

Well, Whedon has already indicated us how he would proceed and this is not exactly Jackson's or Spielberg or Luc Besson's (French director) approach : on one side he will probably continue to make blockbusters, if The Avengers is the enormous success it is meant to be. Given all the bias you evoked (bankability of actors, producing costs, actors contracts with studios,...) Whedon will have little word on the actors and story.
On the other side, he will continue to produce (and sometimes direct) movies he has complete control of, through Bellwether Pictures, the small production company he and Kai Cole created for the production of small, independent narratives for all media.
Bellwether has already produced "Much Ado About Nothing" directed by Whedon himself; he is planning to produce a web serie called Wastelanders and will make a supernatural romance movie called "In Your Eyes", for which he wrote the script and will execute produce while Brin Hill will direct the movie (shoothing begins in February 2012).

I guess there is no room for Whedon's alumni in blockbusters but the recent events have proven he keeps hiring them for its more personal projects.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 13 Mar 2012, 10:31 | Message # 43
Joss Whedon was at South by Southwest Music Conference and Festival (SXSW) held in Austin this weekend for a screening of "The Cabin in the Woods" and he says he still haven't given up on a Firefly/Serenity reboot :

Quote (Joss Whedon)
I keep thinking they're going to call me, crunch the numbers and say 'Hey, we can make money from this!'—but they don't. I would never rule it out, I love those people. But I can't just wait by the phone.

More at Collider.

Though i have the feeling it's more of a "wouldn't that be fun?" than a "let's do this".

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 13 Mar 2012, 10:34

REGDate: Friday, 27 Apr 2012, 09:10 | Message # 44
yes i would love to see a Serenity 2. maybe someday it will happen.
every year i see that Hollywood is just re-hashing ideas more and more. we need more than re-makes and clones. Firefly and Serenity were unique in that they aren't just generic sci-fi. yes it is set it space but it shows what i think was lacking in sci-fi for so long. gritty reality. most sci-fi has just advanced technology and fighting with aliens. Firefly and Serenity are unique in that it shows the everyday lives of a crew in space without any aliens or just pure technology and sci-fi cliches. it shows what it would be like if you yourself were there. which is why i think it is so loved by many.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
one cannot deny that one of the ingredients supposed to lure the young male audience is the female lead (see Megan Fox in the Transformers franchise)

i went to see Transformers because i am a fan. and i have fond memories of it from childhood. had they cast another actress instead of Megan Fox it wouldn't have made any difference to me.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 27 Apr 2012, 13:05 | Message # 45
Quote (REG)
i went to see Transformers because i am a fan. and i have fond memories of it from childhood. had they cast another actress instead of Megan Fox it wouldn't have made any difference to me.

You're not exactly the archetype of the 12 year fanboy (or let's say under 18); these are the population that makes a movie will be a success and generate merchandising.
It's no coincidence that Michael Bay engaged Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, who is 10% actress and 90% eye-candy, to replace Megan Fox. When "Cowboy & Aliens bombed at the Box Office ("The Smurfs" even beat them for the opening WE numbers), the main reason was that the movie didn't draw in the young male population (though i'm not sure Olivia Wilde can be blamed for that in this case).

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » Would you like to see Summer Glau in Serenity 2?
Search: