menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » Would you like to see Summer Glau in Serenity 2?
Would you like to see Summer Glau in Serenity 2?
FordStaffDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 02:36 | Message # 16
Group: Friends

Why would she decline? It'd have been the huge successful movie which we are still just waiting.

That's just it we do not know. Hard to judge Whedon when we do not even know the situation fully. What we do know for sure is that he was the one who gave her not only her first acting gig ,but also her first acting gig as a main cast member.

Joss Whedon reused many actors in his television shows Summer included. Did any of his other recurrent actors get a role in the avengers move? I am fairly certain none of them did either.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 03:15 | Message # 17
Group: Administrators
Quote (FordStaff)
Do we know if he had much say in the matter? Perhaps he offered a small role ,but Summer declined? Too many unanswered questions to say he was underhanded.

I cannot imagine a single actor refusing such an offer; i think i remember an interview in wich the interviewer asked Summer if Joss called her for a role in The Avengers but she said he hasn't.

At this stage, Joss was not in a position to impose an actor in The Avengers for a main role; in the future, what's the point of hiring B-list actors in potential blockbusters? Noone will take that risk, nor Joss nor the producers.

If Joss succeed, him and the Firefly cast simply won't be on the same planet.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 03:15

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 03:37 | Message # 18
If Joss succeed, him and the Firefly cast simply won't be on the same planet

I agree. I just would not go as far as Blazius to claim that Joss Whedon is being underhanded towards Summer. Considering that Joss gave Summer her first acting gigs I find it difficult to turn on him even if he is deliberately not handing her work.

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 03:54 | Message # 19
Quote (michelangelo)
At this stage, Joss was not in a position to impose an actor in The Avengers for a main role; in the future, what's the point of hiring B-list actors in potential blockbusters? Noone will take that risk, nor Joss nor the producers.

Why? Whats the point hiring young unknown people with zero acting experience(like Transformers)? At least B-list actors have experience. And I trusted Joss that he indeed see the huge potential in Summer and at least tries to help her. A true artist surely would but if Joss doesn't see it then he is just as shortsighted as the rest. Dollhouse was surely a big help, when the show already faced cancellation. All he achieved was that the haters blamed even that on Summer.

I loved Firefly and Serenity even better but I'm very disappointed with Joss now.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 04:07 | Message # 20
And I trusted Joss that he indeed see the huge potential in Summer and at least tries to help her.

He must have seen potential he gave her her first gigs. I would wait at least for a couple more Whedon projects before we assume he is never going to giver her any more work. For all we know he already plans on using her in one of his future projects.

All he achieved was that the haters blamed even that on Summer.

It is not fair to pin that on Joss. Only idiots think that Summer is at fault for any cancellation of shows she has been involved with. She was is after all consistently one of the best things about the projects she is in.

Why? Whats the point hiring young unknown people with zero acting experience(like Transformers)? At least B-list actors have experience.

I doubt any one in these forums disagrees with you. It is one of the problems with Hollywood.

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 04:45 | Message # 21
Quote (FordStaff)
He must have seen potential he gave her her first gigs. I would wait at least for a couple more Whedon projects before we assume he is never going to giver her any more work. For all we know he already plans on using her in one of his future projects.

Maybe. But as michelangelo said they won't be on the same planet for long.

Seriously Summer'd need a huge jump at least a blockbuster and she needs it fast. She is not 20 anymore and she started acting late anyways. She'd need more now, she won't get more popular in the b-list category, she needs to become a-list or end of the story.

Joss could provide an opportunity but if he doesn't care for it then I don't care for him too. Summer is the first for me and always will be.

Quote (FordStaff)
It is not fair to pin that on Joss. Only idiots think that Summer is at fault for any cancellation of shows she has been involved with. She was is after all consistently one of the best things about the projects she is in.

Of course its idiocy but why feed the beast? I think through Summer may had difficulties arriving earlier at Dollhouse maybe because of Terminator but I still doubt he wouldn't choose Eliza Dushku instead of Summer.

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 04:54 | Message # 22

Seriously Summer'd need a huge jump at least a blockbuster and she needs it fast. She is not 20 anymore and she started acting late anyways. She'd need more now, she won't get more popular in the b-list category, she needs to become a-list or end of the story.

I forget this sometimes. Her age does add a lot of urgency to the situation.

Joss Whedon should definitely give Summer a big role in a big movie if he gets a chance I am not saying otherwise. I think your just being a little bit rash in your judgement of him. No matter what he started Summer's career off so Summer fans should at least have a little gratitude even if he becomes cold towards her now (which might not be the case).

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 05:13 | Message # 23
Quote (FordStaff)
I forget this sometimes. Her age does add a lot of urgency to the situation.

Joss Whedon should definitely give Summer a big role in a big movie if he gets a chance I am not saying otherwise. I think your just being a little bit rash in your judgement of him. No matter what he started Summer's career off so Summer fans should at least have a little gratitude even if he becomes cold towards her now (which might not be the case).

I admit that we can thank a lot to Joss for discovering Summer.

Its just so painful even thinking about that such a brilliant person as Summer can be so neglected and left with so little while the trash not that talented people get so much . I really trusted that Joss will help her especially because he proved that he is willing to see what is Summer but he just didn't do it.

I'd really like to believe that I'm wrong and you are right and he may have something for her but only time will tell I guess.

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 05:19 | Message # 24
About all we can do is wait and hope. Everyone makes mistakes hopefully Joss Whedon will not make the mistake of forgetting about Summer. The best case scenario is that she breaks it to the a-list without Joss because I guarantee if that happens there would be those saying it was only because of Joss (somehow amazing acting has nothing to do with it).

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 17:09 | Message # 25
Quote (FordStaff)
Why? Whats the point hiring young unknown people with zero acting experience(like Transformers)? At least B-list actors have experience.

I doubt any one in these forums disagrees with you. It is one of the problems with Hollywood.

Let me take the example of a 29 year old actress, recently hired in an programmed blockbuster : Olivia Wilde in John Favreau's "Cowboy & Aliens", starring Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford. This film should have been a mega hit, yet it was topped almost every day since its premiere by another movie who had bad critics, aka The Smurfs. It was one of the biggest disappointment of the year. I reported already in this forum that the producers expected Olivia Wilde would lure the young male audience to the movie (having starred in Tron); but surveys at the theators after the movie, showed on the opposite that the young male audience was missing and that the older segment of the movie-goers (people over 50) went to see C & A.

You can be assured that Hollywood won't do the same mistake again. Young unknown models have a bright future in Hollywood; unfortunately Summer Glau doesn't match that profile.

Message edited by michelangelo - Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 17:10

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 23:13 | Message # 26
You can be assured that Hollywood won't do the same mistake again. Young unknown models have a bright future in Hollywood; unfortunately Summer Glau doesn't match that profile.

Its a shame that the masses can only be attracted to a movie by talentless eye candy. As a result many actors will not get a chance to be in blockbusters, not just Summer.

BlaziusDate: Sunday, 23 Oct 2011, 00:06 | Message # 27
Quote (michelangelo)
Let me take the example of a 29 year old actress, recently hired in an programmed blockbuster : Olivia Wilde in John Favreau's "Cowboy & Aliens", starring Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford. This film should have been a mega hit, yet it was topped almost every day since its premiere by another movie who had bad critics, aka The Smurfs. It was one of the biggest disappointment of the year. I reported already in this forum that the producers expected Olivia Wilde would lure the young male audience to the movie (having starred in Tron); but surveys at the theators after the movie, showed on the opposite that the young male audience was missing and that the older segment of the movie-goers (people over 50) went to see C & A.

I haven't seen it but the reviews are not that overly bright as I can see at the first glance. The premise doesn't seem very interesting too. Ign and others also think that the sci-fi part was subdued largely with the Western part which genre might not be the favorite of the target demographic but the older people who actually loved the film.

I just made a brief survey but I think this film while a blockbuster is not an overly good one or one that might have the potential to be that too successful e.g. I don't think its Olivias fault, even Ford couldn't save it. It just wasn't good enough and they clearly missed the target demographic.

I don't think its enough to be in a blockbuster, you also needs to be in one which is good enough(which may be even more difficult I admit).

Quote (FordStaff)
Its a shame that the masses can only be attracted to a movie by talentless eye candy. As a result many actors will not get a chance to be in blockbusters, not just Summer.

Its a shame for sure. Talent and art dies off quickly of TV and movies it seems. I just only wonder what will we watch if they pump out that huge amount of trash and nothing worth watching?

FordStaffDate: Sunday, 23 Oct 2011, 00:20 | Message # 28
Its a shame for sure. Talent and art dies off quickly of TV and movies it seems.

Not just TV and movies. It seems it is problematic of the majority of society. There are many value dissonances that ought to be corrected, but probably never will. If you have not found me out yet I am quite a cynic.

Message edited by FordStaff - Sunday, 23 Oct 2011, 00:20

termi-ninja-torDate: Sunday, 23 Oct 2011, 00:27 | Message # 29
Cowboys and Aliens had a weak premise. It was only saved from disaster by having such high profile actors -- Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, and Olivia Wilde.

By the way, Olivia does have some talent, as well as being good looking. I enjoyed her as part of the cast of House, the TV series. She performed well in Cowboys and Aliens. It was just that the idea of the movie was off target. (Of course, Summer would have been well cast in her role and should have been. But even Summer's casting would not have made this movie a true success.)

chrisdvanne_Date: Sunday, 23 Oct 2011, 01:21 | Message # 30
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
I haven't seen it but the reviews are not that overly bright as I can see at the first glance.

That's true, C&A got a 50% score at metacritic (which is ...average) but The Smurfs got an abysmal 30% and yet it won the premiere weekend. If Olivia cannot be blamed of course, one cannot deny that one of the ingredients supposed to lure the young male audience is the female lead (see Megan Fox in the Transformers franchise) of a movie and clearly Olivia failed at it ( i personally think like Blazius that the western element was more important to that regard).

I'm sure C&A 's failure will not encourage Hollywood to give its chance to a newcomer in the big game like Olivia; they will prefer young unknown models (see the choice of the new James Bond girl) or confirmed actresses like Scarlett Johansson in The Avengers or Anne Hattaway as Catwoman in upcoming Batman movie.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » Would you like to see Summer Glau in Serenity 2?
Search: