[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 1 of 512345»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » Would you like to see Summer Glau in Serenity 2?
Would you like to see Summer Glau in Serenity 2?
chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 21 Oct 2011, 12:40 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators
Jewel Staite talks Firefly, Food and Nathan Fillion

Jewel Staite (Firefly, Stargate Atlantis) recently made an interview where she talks Firefly, Food and Fillion (Source : Very Aware).

A question from the interviewer particularly caught my attention, he asked :

"So say AVENGERS makes a billion dollars, and Joss gets a green light for SERENITY 2. Is he touring the country, going from set to set like Kermit the Frog trying to track down stray Muppets or are you on his doorstep in full ragamuffin attire the next day?"

It's pretty much obvious that The Avengers (2012) is going one of the greates hits of all time at the box-office, considering it assembles the main characters from Iron Man, Thor, The Hulk or Captain America, not to mention Joss Whedon addition and the hype around that movie. I can't imagine the marketing budget but it will be probably very high (we know the production costs of a movie but never the marketing budget but i guess it will be as much as $100 millions).

After Joss Whedon dethrones Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg as the most powerful man in Hollywood, the predictable question is wether Joss Whedon will want to film a Serenity sequel.

Should this occur, would you like Summer Glau to be a part of it?

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Friday, 21 Oct 2011, 13:21

termi-ninja-torDate: Friday, 21 Oct 2011, 13:15 | Message # 2
Group: Friends
Seriously? You are asking such a question here?

Well then, let me be the first to say "Yes."

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 21 Oct 2011, 13:27 | Message # 3
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
Seriously? You are asking such a question here? Well then, let me be the first to say "Yes."

I was not fool enough to post a poll though wink

Beyond the obvious positive answer to that question, i wanted some of you to point out the inevitable problems such a project would face. Like the fact of being able to reunite in a same place and at the same time such a large cast, or the age of the actors, their physical appearance (* cough* Fillion being overweight *cough*)...

termi-ninja-torDate: Friday, 21 Oct 2011, 16:36 | Message # 4
Obviously, one solution would be to set the action years after the end of the original movie.

Presumably, everyone looks older, even Summer. So the setting can be evolved forward. For example, Mal could now be a wealthy import/export mogul on some developing planet. Inara would be his wife. Zoe and Jewel might be captains of their own ships or captains of ships owned by others like Mal. River could still be a pilot or anything else. Or maybe she could have become the leader of a new settlement, similar to what Shepherd Book had become in the first movie and Simon would be a doctor for the community. Jayne could be the head of some private security business.

Something could happen that would involve bringing them all together, maybe something that requires the resources that each could bring to the solution. I think it would be a splendid opportunity to show a hostile encounter with an alien race. Maybe Zoe's ship is the first to contact the aliens, who immediately attack her. She calls for help but the Alliance is either too far away or unwilling to respond. Jewel or River might be closer and rush to her aid. They communicate with Mal who works to raise more help both locally and through a second call to the Alliance. etc etc. Maybe at the end, peace is achieve using River's amazing ability to communicate mentally with the aliens. Whatever.

FordStaffDate: Friday, 21 Oct 2011, 23:52 | Message # 5
their physical appearance (* cough* Fillion being overweight *cough*)...

From what I have read Nathan Fillion is very passionate about Firefly (In the movie Serenity he was actually smacking his face into the glass for the fight against the operative without being asked). I am fairly certain if Joss asked him to buff up he would hit the gym immediately. Not to mention even if all the actors appearances stay the same they could just set Serenity 2 a couple years after Serenity as termi-ninja-tor suggested. They would likely be doing this regardless for the story anyways.

Something could happen that would involve bringing them all together, maybe something that requires the resources that each could bring to the solution. I think it would be a splendid opportunity to show a hostile encounter with an alien race.

NEVER. Firefly has always been about humans. It is one of the few (only?) space opera shows to not have faster than light travel or intelligence outside of the human race. I do not mean to trash your idea, but this should just not happen. If they need a new enemy then it should be something already present in the verse in the show and first movie (Blue Sun, New Independent Faction, Jubal Early ...). Joss said had he gotten more seasons he would have taken the crew to the darkest places of the verse (apparently torture and mind rape were not dark enough for Joss). What that means for the plot of Serenity 2 I do not know. The only thing I would hope for is some type of confrontation with the Tam parents and also some more River Vision like in "Objects in Space".

Personally I would prefer that Joss get to start up the series again (far more unlikely than having a Serenity 2), but if all he got was one more movie I would be absolutely enthused. How could you not want to see Summer Glau reprise her first acting role as a main cast (and the best role in my opinion sorry Cameron fans)?

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Friday, 21 Oct 2011, 23:58

termi-ninja-torDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 00:37 | Message # 6
Quote (FordStaff)
It is one of the few (only?) space opera shows to not have faster than light travel or intelligence outside of the human race.

Them not ever meeting aliens is your preference. I think it makes sense that it happens eventually. But if you find it so unacceptable to Firefly canon, then we can easily think of some other development that could bring the group back together. Whatever.

More to the point, Michelangelo mentioned some potential problems such a project could face, like getting everyone back together and their aging. I think we have addressed the latter point. However, it may be difficult to coordinate their schedules since some of them have become busier. One way to address this might be to put greater emphasis in the plot on the actors who are more available, and to reduce the screen time of actors who are busy on existing projects.

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 00:43

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 00:54 | Message # 7
It is Firefly cannon that there was no faster than light travel. All the planets were within the same star system. Yes it does not make much sense to have a hundred planets in a star system, but that is the canon. To be fair it is a multi-star system. The trip did take a month or so between "Shindig" and "Safe" when they were transporting cattle so that fits in a way.

Them not ever meeting aliens is your preference. I think it makes sense that it happens eventually. But if you find it so unacceptable to Firefly canon, then we can easily think of some other development that could bring the group back together. Whatever.

It is not just my preference it is Joss Whedon's. He stated that there would never be aliens. The joke in the episode "The Message" about the alien cow fetus was a jab at Fox for suggesting aliens to boost the ratings of the show. They are confined to one star system in the Firefly verse so not meeting any aliens is perfectly acceptable (after all we on earth are in the exact same situation). It is not as if they are scouring the entire galaxy and not finding anything. Why bring in outside influences when there is so much to explore already established in the verse anyways?

More to the point, Michelangelo mentioned some potential problems such a project could face, like getting everyone back together and their aging. I think we have addressed the latter point. However, it may be difficult to coordinate their schedules since some of them have become busier. One way to address this might be to put greater emphasis in the plot on the actors who are more available, and to reduce the screen time of actors who are busy on existing projects.

I try not to think about the difficulties sad . That would be a solution, but hopefully they would be able to give the amount of screen time to the actors that maximizes the story.

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 01:23 | Message # 8
Honestly I'd rather see Summer in The Avengers movie itself but whatever...

I'd definitely like to see Summer in Serenity 2. I think the aging problem is not a big deal, my expectation was a huge timejump anyway in the second movie, where River becomes an adult who controls her abilities and acts as some kind of super commando, trying to hunt down those responsible for her torturing and fights against the Alliance. I think the movie overall should be about fighting the Alliance anyway and succeeding in the end( thanks to River of course). A twist with the Blue Suns would also be welcome possibly taking the Alliances place as arch-villain during the events.

I love aliens but they are unnecessary because there are enough unresolved question and unused material even without them for the movie.

Quote (FordStaff)
It is not just my preference it is Joss Whedon's. He stated that there would never be aliens. The joke in the episode "The Message" about the alien cow fetus was a jab at Fox for suggesting aliens to boost the ratings of the show. They are confined to one star system in the Firefly verse so not meeting any aliens is perfectly acceptable (after all we on earth are in the exact same situation). It is not as if they are scouring the entire galaxy and not finding anything. Why bring in outside influences when there is so much to explore already established in the verse anyways?

A bit funny because while there were no aliens the Reavers fulfilled the same purpose in my opinion. They could very well be aliens as well and not much would have changed in the plot.

BTW I don't know about FTL travel but wasn't in the movie that the crew originally believed that Reavers are form the edge of the galaxy? Moreover Jayne stated that he was there too and saw nothing interesting. Or I misunderstood something?

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 01:33 | Message # 9
I'm good at posing problems but i have no imagination (i'm not a writer by heart); thank you for imaginating what a continuation would be. termi-ninja-tor's premise is maybe not mind-blowing but it's the most obvious and has been used in many sequels; i'm sure Joss Whedon can think of a threat important enough to require the team to reunite (sounds like The Avengers a bit), wether it be aliens or not.

But i will tell you what i think personally. If The Avengers become the success it is bound to be, thus making Joss Whedon the most coveted director in Hollywood, the biggest obstacle to the making of Serenity 2 won't be the age and schedule of the cast... it will be Joss Whedon himself.

Because Hollywood will want to capitalize on Joss's success and will offer him projects he won't be able to refuse or allow him to fulfil his own projects; even if Joss is sentimentally attached to Serenity, it won't weight much opposite potential blockbusters with A-list actors. The making of a movie is a long process and it can take two years from the pitch to the first filmed scene; there is no way Whedon and Hollywood would spent one dollar on a franchise that has not proven to be profitable.

Serenity 2 will not be a priority for at least five years and if Joss still wants to make it after that time, like a spoiled child makes a caprice, the problems we evoked early will make the project almost impossible to achieve after so much time has elapsed.

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 01:42 | Message # 10

BTW I don't know about FTL travel but wasn't in the movie that the crew originally believed that Reavers are form the edge of the galaxy? Moreover Jayne stated that he was there too and saw nothing interesting. Or I misunderstood something?

This is a case of unreliable narrator. For some reasons at occasions during the series they would talk about the their star system as if it was a galaxy. It is confirmed that all the humans in the series are in the same multi starred solar system including the Reavers (they are just on the edge). Why they had them talking about galaxies at some points I have no idea. Perhaps it was suppose to be the new term for a solar system, but they did not get to emphasize it.

A bit funny because while there were no aliens the Reavers fulfilled the same purpose in my opinion. They could very well be aliens as well and not much would have changed in the plot.

But it would have changed everything. The whole point is that the Reavers are what humans without sin would be like. Joss Whedon's point with all the, reaver, academy and mind experiments was that you can not take the sin out of humanity and be left with humanity. This is why during the series when reavers are mentioned someone always claims they were not human. Their humanity was stricken from them. This is why I say the focus of firefly is humanity and always will be.

I think the movie overall should be about fighting the Alliance anyway and succeeding in the end( thanks to River of course).

Joss has always stated that overall the Alliance was a good force for humanity in the series. From the view of the crew of Serenity we only see the very very bad things they have done. With this in mind it would be odd for the Alliance to be overthrown. River may be extremely powerful if she becomes sane (this should never completely happen though based off the series) ,but she can not overthrow an entire goverment even with an Independent army, they would get creamed. There may not even be a reason to as it is hinted that in the movie the alliance may forget about River and Simon because their main focus was the goverment secrets and that damage is done. Her hunting down academy employees and Pax developers would be interesting though.

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 01:53 | Message # 11
I think too that it would be kind of silly if he becomes the most powerful man in Hollywood that he still bothers with a Serenity sequel. I even question he'd even care to do it even if he got time.

BTW could anybody explain me why he couldn't secure at least a small part in the movie for Summer? Hollywood is about connections, with good connections you can get to big, successful films. I believed Summer and Joss are friends. So why didn't Joss do it? It seems a bit underhand strategy to me.

termi-ninja-torDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 01:55 | Message # 12
Quote (FordStaff)

Like I said, "whatever."

Quote (Blazius)
I try not to think about the difficulties.

Whatever floats your boat. I was trying to be responsive to the OP's post in Message #3. As I am sure you are aware, overcoming difficulties can be important to completing worthwhile projects.

termi-ninja-torDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 01:56 | Message # 13
Quote (Blazius)
I think too that it would be kind of silly if he becomes the most powerful man in Hollywood that he still bothers with a Serenity sequel. I even question he'd even care to do it even if he got time. BTW could anybody explain me why he couldn't secure at least a small part in the movie for Summer? Hollywood is about connections, with good connections you can get to big, successful films. I believed Summer and Joss are friends. So why didn't Joss do it? It seems a bit underhand strategy to me.

Good question, especially since she made such a strong appearance as Bennett in his Dollhouse series.

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 02:02 | Message # 14
BTW could anybody explain me why he couldn't secure at least a small part in the movie for Summer? Hollywood is about connections, with good connections you can get to big, successful films. I believed Summer and Joss are friends. So why didn't Joss do it? It seems a bit underhand strategy to me.

Do we know if he had much say in the matter? Perhaps he offered a small role ,but Summer declined? Too many unanswered questions to say he was underhanded.

I think too that it would be kind of silly if he becomes the most powerful man in Hollywood that he still bothers with a Serenity sequel. I even question he'd even care to do it even if he got time.

Obviously Serenity 2 would not make much money if it would even break even. I do not think we should call people silly if they make a decision that does not bump them up some ladder of influence. He is an artist and perhaps he will find that Firefly is unfinished business that deserves a follow up. If anything we should applaud those who break it big and are still willing to work on projects they find worthwhile yet know will not propel them career wise. Not that I am saying I believe he has some urge to make Serenity 2 that I do not know.

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 02:25 | Message # 15
Quote (FordStaff)
Do we know if he had much say in the matter? Perhaps he offered a small role ,but Summer declined? Too many unanswered questions to say he was underhanded.

Why would she decline? It'd have been the huge successful movie which we are still just waiting. And I think Joss has that much word in the movie to get Summer in. I just don't understand what happened after Dollhouse.

I have no problem with Whedon but if he let Summer down l'll never forgive him.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » Would you like to see Summer Glau in Serenity 2?
Page 1 of 512345»
Search: