Juke Joint!
By robbo

Submit a News or Article
By robbo

Summer Glau at Rose City Comic Con 2016
By chrisdvanne

Summer Glau at MCM Belfast Comic Con 2017
By chrisdvanne

The OFFICIAL Summer Glau Appreciation Page!
By chrisdvanne

The Happy Birthday thread
By KevinInEngland

Misc. News on Pilots and Series
By robbo

Summer Glau at MCM London Comic Con 2017
By chrisdvanne

Photos of celebrities from the Glau-verse & beyond
By robbo

New comments

robbo on: Convention stories - MCM Belfast

chrisdvanne on: Images from Summer's final day at MCM Belfast

chrisdvanne on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

John Crooks on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

Jimmy PK on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

Martin John on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

chrisdvanne on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

Martin John on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

robbo on: Summer looks fierce in a fashion photo shoot by Joan Allen

chrisdvanne on: Serenity Comic - All Aboard the feels train

New videos

00:01:17

00:14:30

00:03:40

New Forum Posts Members Forum Rules Search

Page 4 of 4«1234
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » 18 Things you didn’t know about Firefly.
18 Things you didn’t know about Firefly.
Date: Friday, 2015 Aug 07, 09:06 GMT | Message # 46

Site Admin

Seen at a local Barnes & Noble store.

Firefly merchandising

Crazy all the merchandising available for a single season show.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Date: Sunday, 2015 Aug 09, 00:40 GMT | Message # 47

Friends

# 46 The merchandise seems to be as popular as ever,  even so I think the Firefly merchandise will still be available for many years to come. 
Cool display!  cool

Date: Monday, 2015 Sep 21, 22:46 GMT | Message # 48

Site Admin

Get a taste of how bad FOX's marketing campaign for Firefly was! Prepare for warp speed.

Going through my old tapes of recorded TV and came across this. yes the video quality is horrible as the tapes were over 10 years old.

Date: Wednesday, 2015 Sep 23, 02:21 GMT | Message # 49

Friends

11 Things You May Not Know About Joss Whedon's Firefly 

Thirteen years ago Firefly aired its first episode on Fox - the same network that would infamously cut Joss Whedon's singular space western down in its prime just three months later. 

Here, then, are 11 more intriguing nuggets from this sorely-missed gem. 

1. Remember when Nathan Fillion's Caleb stabbed out Xander's eye in Buffy?

To add insult to injury, Nicholas Brendon - who played Xander - was originally Joss Whedon's first choice to play Firefly's Mal Reynolds, until scheduling scuppered that plan and Fillion took the role. 

2. Executives at Fox (Browncoats, take a moment here to shake your fist) were unhappy with the fact that Wash and Zoe were married. 

According to Whedon, they wanted to leave open the possibility of romance between Wash and Zoe, and threatened not to pick up the show otherwise. "I said, 'Then don't pick up the show, because in my show, these people are married."

3. If you thought you recognised the young Simon Tam in the episode 'Ariel', you're not wrong.

That actor was none other than Zac Efron, in only his second ever screen appearance. 

4. Whedon had trouble writing the script for movie sequel Serenity because of the wildly different genres its leading characters, Mal and River, represented. 

"Mal is a Western fellow and River is kind of Noir, so how do I reconcile them?"His mentor, film professor Jeanine Basinger, helped him steer through the block with genre-blurring movies like Brian De Palma's The Fury and Nicholas Ray's classic Western Johnny Guitar. 

5. Morena Baccarin's Inara remained mysterious throughout Firefly's brief run, but had the show continued it would have been revealed that she was dying. 

A terminal illness subplot - hinted at but unexplored in the series - had been rumoured for years before Baccarin herself finally confirmed it in 2008.

6. Neil Patrick Harris auditioned for the role of Simon, which ultimately went to Sean Maher. 

Internet rumour has it that Harris's lab coat in Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog was the same one Maher wore in an episode of Firefly, but we're not sure how legit that info is. 

7. It's hard to put into words just how ham-fisted Fox's marketing for Firefly was. 

Suffice it to say that early promos promised a zany and "twisted" sci-fi comedy featuring - among other characters - "a flighty pilot!", "a space cowboy!", "a cosmic hooker!" and "a girl in a box!" No sign of these gems online, but you can quite imagine of how bad the campaign was.

8. The funeral scene in the episode 'The Message' was genuinely mournful.

It was filmed just after the cast found out that Firefly had been cancelled. Real pain. 

9. Three Buffyverse alums were slated for guest appearances. 

Just when you really thought you'd come to terms with the fact that we're never getting any more Firefly - "I had planned to do an episode with Amy Acker and Alexis Denisof and James Marsters as part of a travelling Shakespare troupe, "says Whedon. "Because it's sort of a staple of the John Ford Westerns, there's always that over-the-top theatre guy, and I thought it would be terrific to have them try and put on a play in the cargo bay."Damn you, Fox. 

10. The cast grew to genuinely love the ship's lounge set.

So much so that in between takes, they hung out there instead of in their trailers or the green room. 

11. Almost every single member of the Firefly cast went on to play a villain in another Joss Whedon project. 

Nathan Fillion in Buffy and (arguably) Dr Horrible, Gina Torres and Adam Baldwin in Angel, Summer Glau and Alan Tudyk in Dollhouse, and Sean Maher in Much Ado About Nothing. Jewel Staite, Morena Baccarin and Ron Glass, you're next. 

Via: Digital Spy

Date: Friday, 2016 Jun 10, 00:31 GMT | Message # 50

Friends

What Happened Next? 10 Planned Seasons Of Cancelled TV Shows

1. Firefly: Full Season 1 And Beyond 

The cancellation of Joss Whedon's Firefly became on of the biggest TV travesties of all time. While it took a couple of episodes to really get going it was must-see TV by the end of its fourteen-episode run and featured possibly the best character dynamic in what was essentially a season one. (Buffy The Vampire Slayer might have had the best overall but even then it took its first season to get to that place). At least the film Serenity offered a dramatic - and heartbreaking - conclusion to the tale, truncating some of the big ideas in place for a season two. 

While the main theme of season two would have been the truth about Miranda, the Reavers (who only appeared briefly in the pilot) and the origins of River, other characters would have had some major development. Inara would have revealed that she was dying, Jayne would have left to captain his own ship for a while and the mysteries of Shepherd Book (surely the biggest lost opportunity) would have been revealed. The Blue Sun Corporation would have become a major presence in the show and deaths from the film would have happened very differently. 

And apparently, had the show gone to season six, Mal would have encountered a much older Spike in a bar, connecting Firefly to the rest of the Buffyverse. Consider your minds blown. 

Via: WC

Date: Saturday, 2016 Jun 11, 11:55 GMT | Message # 51

Site Admin

Quote robbo ()
And apparently, had the show gone to season six, Mal would have encountered a much older Spike in a bar, connecting Firefly to the rest of the Buffyverse. Consider your minds blown.

Really?

Although I'm sure they have met many times over the years at Whedon events or at conventions, the only picture of James Marsters and Nathan Fillion together I could find was taken at a Buffy The Vampire Slayer Wrap Party on April 18, 2003. Felicia Day was there too.

Danny Strong, Tom Lenk, Emma Caulfield, Alexis Denisof, Alyson Hannigan, Anthony Stewart Head, Joss Whedon, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Marsters, Nathan Fillion at a Buffy The Vampire Slayer Wrap PartyBuffy The Vampire Slayer Wrap Party 2003Buffy The Vampire Slayer Wrap Party 2003Buffy The Vampire Slayer Wrap Party 2003Buffy The Vampire Slayer Wrap Party 2003Buffy The Vampire Slayer Wrap Party 2003

The same year, Summer attended another Whedon event, the 6th annual "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" Posting Board Party to Benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation on February 15, 2003 at American Legion Hall in Hollywood, California.

Date: Monday, 2016 Sep 12, 21:20 GMT | Message # 52

Friends

I was watching University Challenge on TV tonight and they asked a question which had the answer: Jubal Early.
Did you know that Jubal Early was a Confederate General in the American civil war?
Did you know that Jubal Early was the bounty hunter in Firefly?

Date: Monday, 2016 Sep 12, 23:40 GMT | Message # 53

Site Admin

Quote KevinInEngland ()
Did you know that Jubal Early was a Confederate General in the American civil war?
Did you know that Jubal Early was the bounty hunter in Firefly?

Joss Whedon's DVD commentary for this episode reveals that Early was partly inspired by the Star Wars character Boba Fett, and Early's spacecraft (especially the interior) shares a resemblance with Fett's spacecraft. He shares his name with the Confederate Civil War General Jubal Anderson Early, from whom Nathan Fillion has claimed to be descended.

Date: Tuesday, 2016 Sep 13, 07:40 GMT | Message # 54

Friends

# 52 & 53
Oh, I obviously missed that gem-piece of information.  Nathan Fillion with links to his Confederate Ancestor.
I wonder if he knows much more about him?

(I was told that I mis-spelt Earley which should be Early.  Oh well.)

I  checked out the part of Stanton Parish from Summer's appearance in Alphas:

John Pyper-Ferguson, who played Stanton Parish, who was not known to be a real General in the American civil war.  Instead of that, the name only resembles this (There's a lovely picture of an old church in this link.... and some old buildings from English history):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanton%2C_Gloucestershire

In the Alphas series, Stanton Parish was born in 1800, which would have made him 65ish when the American civil war ended.
I can't find an original picture of him in this link, but I seem to remember he was a Union soldier: http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0317513/mediaindex

Anyway, I got this off the internet and copied it to twitter

Date: Thursday, 2017 May 25, 15:06 GMT | Message # 55

Site Admin

A friend sent me this. Mind.Blowing.

Inara never talks to River

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » 18 Things you didn’t know about Firefly.
Page 4 of 4«1234
Search: