Wizard World Comic Con New Orleans
January 5-7, 2017

The Happy Birthday thread
By KevinInEngland

The official funny thread
By chrisdvanne

Serenity Blu-ray Extra
By chrisdvanne

The OFFICIAL Summer Glau Appreciation Page!
By chrisdvanne

Summer Glau at Ottawa Comiccon 2014
By chrisdvanne

Interesting about the franchise and other TSCC things
By KevinInEngland

Submit a News or Article
By chrisdvanne

The Fanart Thread
By chrisdvanne

Juke Joint!
By Admirator

Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits
By robbo

New comments

KevinInEngland on: Fan made TSCC season 3 trailer

Joseph Flowers on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

Joseph Flowers on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

Roboter on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

robbo on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

The1Russter on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

Charley_Dixon on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

Fermi on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

Admirator on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

Joseph Flowers on: Lovely shot of Summer and Val's wedding by Joan Allen

New videos

00:44:18

00:03:44

00:04:51

New Forum Posts Members Forum Rules Search

Page 3 of 4«1234»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » 18 Things you didn’t know about Firefly.
18 Things you didn’t know about Firefly.
Date: Sunday, 2013 Dec 15, 08:07 GMT | Message # 31

Friends

Quote robbo ()
Firefly Online Releasing On PC, Mac Next Summer. QuoteFirefly Online will be released for PC and Mac next summer. The game is a strategic role-playing title based on the popular science fiction TV series created by Joss Whedon. Players will recruit crews and captain ships to trade resources online, as well as embark on space missions. A separate version of the game is also in development for iOS and Android devices, according to i09. Firefly ran for one season between 2002 and 2003. Of the show"s 14 episodes, only 11 aired on television. The show"s enduring cult popularity enabled Whedon to create a film adaptation titled Serenity 2005. Via i09

i've been following this for a while. you can't stop the signal!! biggrin

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Date: Tuesday, 2014 Jan 14, 16:22 GMT | Message # 32

Site Admin

The very serious German newspaper" Die Welt" published an article for the premiere of Serenity in Germany on October 2005.

According to this article, Joss Whedon, Nathan Fillion and Summer Glau had lots of interviews in the hotel and they had pumpkin soup the evening before the premiere. Now that's useful information!  biggrin

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Date: Wednesday, 2014 Jan 15, 10:14 GMT | Message # 33

Friends

hmm i am not a fan of pumpkin soup myself but it's interesting to see what celebrities eat.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Date: Friday, 2014 Feb 07, 10:10 GMT | Message # 34

Site Admin

A cameraman was stealing the show on episode 2 "The Train Job" (look on the right)

A cameraman was stealing the show on episode 2 'The Train Job'

FYI, it was edited for standard definition tv's when it aired, it was likely just cropped out, now that they're showing the full wide frame it is visible, which is probably why it made it through editing.

Date: Monday, 2014 Feb 17, 02:48 GMT | Message # 35

Friends

Firefly: Ranking The Best Episode / 1. Episode 14: Objects In Space

All great shows have an episode where they reach the pinnacle of their brilliance and thus create something truly remarkable. Doctor Who (at least, the show from 2005 onwards) has "Blink", Sherlock has "A Scandal in Belgravia", and Firefly has "Objects in Space."

The opening sequence is particularly memorable for its unique use of visuals and audio in showing how River perceives the world. She listens to the crew"s conversations, but her mind substitutes the words they say for things they have said in the past or will say in the future. She sees the floor of the ship scattered with twigs and bright autumn leaves, she picks up a branch and smiles. It"s only then, when we switch from River"s perspective to the crew"s, that we see River is actually holding a loaded gun and pointing it at them. This disorienting opening brings a surreal quality to the rest of the episode that makes it impossible to look away from the screen.

Summer Glau as River Tam in Firefly 'Objects in Space

We"re also introduced to a truly fascinating villain, Jubal Early, a bounty hunter who is after River. A bizarre yet oddly hypnotizing character, Early epitomizes a living contradiction as he waxes philosophical about life and nature, asking various characters, "Does that seem right to you?" about existential questions even as he threatens to rape Kaylee and kill Simon. The situation gets even crazier when River tries to convince Early, through talking to him over the intercom system, that she has become part of the ship. The wonderfully ridiculous thing is, at this point we as the audience aren"t even certain if that"s entirely out of the realm of possibility.

From dialogue to acting to visuals to plot, this episode is flawless. With such an astoundingly awesome season finale, Firefly as a TV series is able to go out with a bang with a shot of Early floating through the black, an object in space, accompanied by his now infamous line: "Well -- here I am."

Via: WC

Date: Sunday, 2014 Mar 23, 01:53 GMT | Message # 36

Site Admin

Firefly: Season 1, Episode 13 "Trash "
River: Jayne is a girl's name

Date: Wednesday, 2014 Sep 17, 01:51 GMT | Message # 37

Friends

10 Heartbreaking TV Deaths 

4.  Hoban "Wash" Washbourne - Firefly 

Played by Alan Tudyk 

To see such an amazing character-the loveable, fun-loving guy who was first introduced to us while he was playing with dinosaurs in the ship"s cockpit-get stabbed through the chest after successfully (and awesomely) piloting his friends to safety was terrible enough, but to have to watch his wife, Zoe (Gina Torres), mourn at his funeral just made it all the worse. 

Via: Uloop

Date: Thursday, 2014 Sep 18, 03:17 GMT | Message # 38

Friends

Five Most Badass Female Characters On Sci-Fi TV

These five woman display a mix of traditional femininity with an unconventional portrayal of women, which gives them a well-rounded character rather than merely romance, or sexual tension. I hope these women serves as the epitome of the TV"s portrayal of women - as powerful, intelligent, courageous and complex beings.

1) Zoe Washburne (Firefly)

Coming at number one is Zoe Washburne of Firefly (2002-2003), masterfully played by Gina Torres. Firefly tells a story of a renegade crew in a small spacecraft trying to survive unknown parts of the galaxy. Zoe, as the second in command of the ship"s captain, Malcolm Reynolds, challenges his power and ferocity while remaining intensely loyal to him, having served him in a war which took place before the Firefly gang started making a living as criminals.

In contrast to Mal, who often let his emotions do the shooting for him, Zoe is considerate and her actions adhere to her beliefs. In the epilogue of the series, Serenity, Zoe maintains her composure as always when Wash, her dear husband and the ship"s pilot, is killed. Zoe instead channels her grief and anger into risking life for her crew by defending them from cannibalistic reavers, beig wounded herself in the process.

Via: Uloop

Gina Torres A 'Suits' Story Fashion Show, New York, America - 12 Jun 2012 Gina Torres - February 06, 2014 - The Heart Truth Red Dress Fall 2014 Fashion Show, Backstage Red Carpet held at Lincoln Center, NYC.

Date: Saturday, 2014 Sep 20, 02:55 GMT | Message # 39

Friends

10 Weirdest High Concepts On Television  -  2. Firefly 

The Pitch: A sci-fi western: humanity has colonized space but undergone another civil war, with a small group from the losing side forming up the crew up the renegade spaceship Serenity. 

The second Joss Whedon show to appear on this list, Firefly was mishandled from the beginning by FOX, with episodes aired out of order, making it hard for audiences to follow. It was quickly cancelled, but fan interest was still enough to have it resurrected as a feature film, Serenity. Was it weird? Sure, considering it was a space western that had no aliens and thus lacked the allure of, say, a Star Trek clone - but the fact that it was Whendon doing it got people interested.

It"s often Buffy and Dollhouse that got mentioned as high concept when it comes to Whedon"s shows. but Firefly fits right in there as well. "Space Western" is a very pitch-able premise (Cowboys and Aliens sold it as well, after all) when you really think about it, and the what ifs created by the civil war in space storyline put it solidly in the high concept column as well.

It"s a shame that the show was never allowed to fully develop. The movie felt a little rushed story-wise, but that"s hard to avoid when you need to wrap up a television series that might have lasted for years in just a couple of hours. 

Date: Thursday, 2014 Oct 23, 03:16 GMT | Message # 40

Friends

Exclusive: Jewel Staite On Why 'I'll Be A Browncoat Forever.

Kaylee Frye, Firefly and Serenity.

"Oh, Firefly. The show that changed my life. I can't say enough about the positivity that show has brought me. Besides it being pretty much the best experience of my career, in terms of the incredible people I met that I'm still lucky enough to call some of my best friends, it introduced me to the world of science fiction conventions.
I'm still invited all over the world to these things where I basically sit and sign autographs and get showered with compliments. 
I cannot tell you enough how how much fun they are. So, because of Firefly, I've also gotten to travel around the world. How amazing is that?'ll never get sick of talking about it , I'm so proud of it even now, and I'm blessed  to be a part of it and its fandom. 
Firefly fans are the best fans in the world, and I'll be a Browncoat forever," said Staite.

Date: Thursday, 2014 Oct 23, 09:12 GMT | Message # 41

Site Admin

Ref #40

In the same interview for Blastr, Jewel says she's ready to another sci-fi role.

“The thing I love about science fiction now is that it's become 'cool' to love it. It's so much more mainstream than it used to be, and it's become cool to be a nerd. My mom always told me the geeks shall inherit the earth, and they should – geeks are the brains of the operation! I love the stories that are being told nowadays in sci-fi, and I feel like it's just getting revved up. I've put the bug out there that I'd love to do something sci-fi related again full-time, so I'm just reading scripts and waiting for the right thing to come along. Sci-fi fans are the most devoted fans out there, and it's because of them I've had such a great and lucky career,” she said.

I must say that these two informations 1) Jewel's statement that she'd love to play in another sci-file role and and 2) Morena Baccarin has landed a recurring role in Gotham and is slated to become a regular in Season 2, go against my theory that every sci-fi actor has only one thing in mind, quit genre tv shows for mainstream role.
Especially in the case of Morena, since her acclaimed performance on Homeland earned her an Emmy nomination, one would have thought that she would continue playing in non genre tv shows.

Date: Tuesday, 2014 Nov 04, 14:24 GMT | Message # 42

Site Admin

10 'Shiny' Things That You Probably Didn't Know About Firefly.

Some very well known and some less known facts about Firefly.

Whenever the cast would mess up their lines, they would yell "Summer!" This tradition started when Summer Glau, who played River Tam, messed up at the end of a particularly tricky scene, forcing them to start over.

Most of the main cast of Firefly have voiced D.C. Universe characters in the animated TV shows. Nathan Fillion (Mal) voiced Green Lantern, Gina Torres (Zoe) voiced Wonder Woman, Alan Tudyk (Wash) voiced The Flash, Adam Baldwin (Jayne) voiced Superman, Morena Baccarin (Inara) voiced Cheetah and Black Canary, Summer Glau (River) voiced Supergirl, and Ron Glass (Shepherd Book) voiced a newscaster. The only two that didn't voice characters were Sean Maher (Simon) and Jewel Staite (Kaylee).

Well, Summer did not voice a character from the animated TV show but from the animated movies, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (2010) in this case.

Source: moviepilot.com

Date: Sunday, 2014 Nov 30, 05:03 GMT | Message # 43

Friends

20 Best Sci-Fi TV Episodes Ever 

3. Out Of Gas (Firefly, Season 1)

Science fiction is at its best when it serves as a reflection of all our flawed yet wonderful ways. Firefly managed to do that on several occasions, but none so better than the brilliant Out of Gas.

The plot is fairly straightforward: With Serenity damaged and losing power, the crew is forced to abandon ship. Mal refuses to leave, believing he can repair the ship before life support runs out. It seems like a typical "captain going down with his ship" scenario, but there's much more at work here.

A series of flashbacks shows this group of misfits, all with their own pasts that haunt them, all with their broken emotions, coming together. These people who have nowhere else to go turn to each other for the connections that define us as human beings. The final shot of Mal gazing at the beaten and broken Serenity in the distance is the purest definition of a lost soul realising he has finally come home. For anyone ever wondering what, at its core, Firefly was "about", this is the episode to watch.

Date: Monday, 2014 Dec 01, 04:23 GMT | Message # 44

Friends

TV Shows You Didn't Know Were In The Doctor Who Universe

Angel, Aliens & Firefly - Just Who Is Behind Weyland-Yutani?

You'll have heard the name Weyland-Yutani industries many times. On modern day earth they were represented by evil law firm Wolfram & Hart, the enemy Angel faced for five seasons. On a side note, they all represented Yoyodyne, which popped up in both The John Larroquette Show and Star Trek: The Next Generation. In the Alien franchise Weyland-Yutani was simply known as 'the company', colonising other worlds. More insidiously, they had a shadowy remit to obtain and study the terrifying Xenomorphs.

A lesser known fact about Weyland-Yutani is the fact that they made the UA 571-D Ground Sentry, an anti-aircraft weapon used at the Battle of Serenity Valley. That battle of course was seen in the dramatic opening scene of the pilot episode of Firefly. It seems this insidious organisation has had their hands in a lot of pies. 

Date: Sunday, 2014 Dec 07, 03:11 GMT | Message # 45

Friends

Second Time's A Charm: 12 TV Shows That Came Back From The Dead

11. 'Firefly' 

One in a string of beloved, culty projects created by Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dollhouse, and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog among them), the space-western Firefly aired for only one season. But in that time, it accumulated a devoted fanbase known as "Browncoats," which launched various campaigns - letter-bombing networks, organizing viewing parties, even placing an ad in Variety - to show their support for the series.
Their efforts paid off: Whedon went on to write and direct the 2005 film Serenity, a continuation of the story. It was the first feature-length movie Whedon directed, laying the groundwork for his current status as Hollywood's go-to guy for big-budget action films (see: The Avengers).

Via: Rolling Stone

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » 18 Things you didn’t know about Firefly.
Page 3 of 4«1234»
Search: