menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » TSCC promotional campaign (Let's (re-)discover elements from the marketing campaign)
TSCC promotional campaign
chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 25 Mar 2012, 01:44 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators
You have probably seen the pictures of this bus with the image of Summer Glau as cameron painted on it but how many of you know what was happening inside the bus, back in January 2008.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles premiere in Los AngelesTerminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles premiere in Los Angeles - January 09, 2008

This "Terminator Tour" bus, sponsored by Verizon Wireless, was traveling to selecting cities around the United States, inviting fans to board and get filmed in front of a green scene in order to re-play the bank vault scene from TSCC pilot. After the video was edited, the clip was sent to the fans's email or cellphone (you can read it on the poster next to Summer)

I've managed to find a couple of these clips to show you the result :

A 3 year old daughter cyborg cutie kicks Cromartie's ass.

A journalist at FOX 25 Boston tried it and reported his experience for the channel.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Marcel93Date: Sunday, 25 Mar 2012, 15:03 | Message # 2
Group: Friends
cool very nice^^
Is this bus tour was long time ago or is this year instead?

http://www.fanfiction.net
http://www.fanfiktion.de

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 25 Mar 2012, 15:41 | Message # 3
Quote (Marcel93)

This special "Terminator Tour" bus was part of FOX's marketing campaign for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles back in 2007/2008.

It began on Fall 2007, almost five months before the premiere, by running teaser ads on some of FOX's reality shows. Then during the World Series broadcasts, it ran the pilot movie-style trailer.
The network invited bloggers to the "Terminator" set to build online chatter and launched at the end of 2007 a site in which people could submit photos to have their faces turned into something like a Terminator, www.getterminated.com (the site doesn't exist anymore). And the network was working with Verizon Wireless on mobile promotions; this is when the "Terminator Tour" bus came in play, during the begining of January 2008.

Back in the days, the schedule for the TSCC bus tout could be found at : www.terminatortour.com/index.php but the site is down for a long time.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Sunday, 25 Mar 2012, 23:42

Marcel93Date: Sunday, 25 Mar 2012, 21:48 | Message # 4
thanks Chris^^

The1RussterDate: Monday, 26 Mar 2012, 03:47 | Message # 5
Group: Writer
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Quote (Marcel93)

This special "Terminator Tour" bus was part of FOX's marketing campaign for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles back in 2007/2008.

It began on Fall 2007, almost five months before the premiere, by running teaser ads on some of FOX's reality shows. Then during the World Series broadcasts, it ran the pilot movie-style trailer.
The network invited bloggers to the "Terminator" set to build online chatter and launched at the end of 2007 a site in which people could submit photos to have their faces turned into something like a Terminator, www.getterminated.com (the site doesn't exist anymore). And the network was working with Verizon Wireless on mobile promotions; this is when the "Terminator Tour" bus came in play, during the beginning of January 2008.

Back in the days, the schedule for the TSCC bus tour could be found at : www.terminatortour.com/index.php but the site is down for a long time.

Based on FOX's advertising its no wonder I never heard of TSCC until they announced season 2. I never watch reality TV, and I hardly ever watch sports. I make some exception during football season, but that's about it. I never would have seen S1 but for the fact they rebroadcast all 9 episodes in August of 2008 and I only caught the advertisement by chance when flipping through the channels one night. I didn't even see or hear one mention during the morning news shows or talk shows on ABC or CBS prior to its premiere in January of 2008. And what blogs visited the studio? I never visited a blog website until a couple of years ago. Who the hell invites a blogger and not a professional entertainment news show to cover the making of a series like TSCC? I might have actually seen something on TV if they had, but no FOX has to be different. Exactly who was FOX aiming its advertising at? Because I never saw nor heard a damn thing and I've been a Terminator fan since T1 came out when I was in high school. TSCC just appeared suddenly one day on my TV without any fanfare or build up, and it disappeared in almost the same fashion 10 months later. I don't know who was responsible for marketing at the time, but they did one hell of a crapfest with their advertising of TSCC for FOX. I never saw or heard a damn thing. It just leaves me to question FOX's entire handling of the show, not just its marketing. What more did they screw up?

I apologize for the rant. But sometimes you just have to let go.

I return you to your regular broadcast, now rant free. :-)

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Message edited by The1Russter - Monday, 26 Mar 2012, 03:49

ChrisDate: Monday, 26 Mar 2012, 11:47 | Message # 6
I had the same impression of TSCC marketing here in Australia it just appeared on TV, I don't even know if it got a second season over here as I downloaded all the episodes to watch them, I have to admit I thought they blew Cameron up at the end of season 1 then to leave it like they did at season 2 was so wrong, heartless people could have at least arranged a movie so we knew if John managed to get Cameron back!

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 26 Mar 2012, 12:18 | Message # 7
I was simply describing the online marketing (the two sites mentioned above and also takebackthefuture.com ) and the way FOX interacted with the fans (online or not) before the premiere but it's not the biggest part of the marketing campaign; it's unfair to say that FOX didn't promote TSCC well. Here's what you can read on Wikipedia :

Marketing

Prior to its broadcast on television, Fox undertook a large marketing effort to promote the show, which was described by Joe Earley, Fox Executive Vice President of Marketing and Communications, as the "biggest campaign for a new mid-season show in years." The advertising campaign began months prior to the premiere date to make sure that it would attract existing Terminator fans as well as welcome in new fans. After 24 was postponed to the 2008-09 TV season, more time was devoted to the show by Fox's marketing team and more on-air promotional spots were available for the show that would otherwise have gone to 24.
Fox began their advertising campaign for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles on September 27, 2007, with a brief teaser which ran during primetime programs, consisting of an image of two red dots that lasted for a few seconds on screen before disappearing. The two red dots were revealed to be the eyes of the Terminators from the show in the second phase of the advertising campaign, which began two weeks later. The final phase of the campaign commenced in November 2007 with more broadcast information being added to the advertisements.
In addition to on-air teasers, Fox heavily promoted the show during the World Series by releasing the first 45-second preview for the show on October 27, 2007. Other forms of advertisements used included: mobile tours on "Terminator" buses sponsored by Verizon Wireless; an interactive cell phone game based on the series offered by Verizon's V CAST, which rewarded the players with ring tones, wallpapers and behind-the-scenes footage; cable tie-ins; online outreach via the official website and wiki; online sneak peeks; and a poster design contest run by Fox. Advance screenings of the pilot episode were also held at the 2007 Comic-Con International convention and at Golden Apple Comics in Los Angeles on January 4, 2008.
Billboard advertisements, which were described by Variety to have "blanketed New York and L.A.", contained images of Summer Glau's Terminator in a "Lady Godiva-esque pose" used to target the young-male demographic, while the key art emphasized on Sarah Connor being at the core of the show to attract the "mom demo". Fox originally planned for more outdoor marketing in other cities but the marketing budget was reduced because of the Writers' Strike.

Regardless of the content of the show itself, i'm a firm believer that the Writers Strike killed the third season; the Terminator fans and the general audience would have quit in mass like they did anyway because the writing and execution were not what they were expecting but i'm sure that the decrease would have been less important if Josh Friedman had a chance to build a regular first season; in another words, a regular airing of the first season would have provided that little extra that was needed to be chosen for a renewal and not Dollhouse.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 26 Mar 2012, 16:12

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 26 Mar 2012, 13:53 | Message # 8
Here's the first trailer for TSCC pilot, showed during the FOX UpFronts 2007 (you can see the set of the show on the last images)

You'll notice Charley is not played by Dean Winters in the original pilot and the trailer also includes scenes of Cameron in the school that were deleted in the aired pilot.

Also big lol at the tag lines (see screencaps below); if the writers were clearly talking about Sarah Connor "HER" at the begining of TSCC, it may rather refer to Cameron or even to Catherine weaver at the end of season 2.

@ The1Russter What would you say this "HER" would refer to if this was a trailer for your REUNION" fancfiction btw? (if it's not too too spoilrerish of course).

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 26 Mar 2012, 14:07

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 26 Mar 2012, 15:31 | Message # 9
a poster design contest run by Fox

Here's a fan made posters for that contest :

click on image for larger size
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Poster contest
by http://davzdesignz.blogspot.fr

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 26 Mar 2012, 15:32

Marcel93Date: Monday, 26 Mar 2012, 15:39 | Message # 10
nice^^

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012, 10:06 | Message # 11
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Fox began their advertising campaign for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles on September 27, 2007, with a brief teaser which ran during primetime programs, consisting of an image of two red dots that lasted for a few seconds on screen before disappearing. The two red dots were revealed to be the eyes of the Terminators from the show in the second phase of the advertising campaign, which began two weeks later. The final phase of the campaign commenced in November 2007 with more broadcast information being added to the advertisements.

This video shows the two red glowing eyes described above but showed up probably in the latest part of the campaign since you can clearly identify the terminator and also Sarah Connor.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012, 10:07

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 29 Mar 2012, 11:37 | Message # 12
Quote (Wikipedia)
Fox began their advertising campaign for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles on September 27, 2007, with a brief teaser which ran during primetime programs, consisting of an image of two red dots that lasted for a few seconds on screen before disappearing.

Funny thing is that a lot of FOX's watchers thought it was a glitch of their tv, or a viral for Transformers movies or an ad for Halloween; indeed it was not that easy to connect these two red dots to upcoming tv serie TSCC.
The teaser aired during FOX's primetime shows like Prison Break, K-Ville, Bones or Kitchen Nightmares.

Let me show you what it looked like on a tv screen at the time (the furtive two dots are on the bottom part of the screen, starting at 0:12) :

Can you see the three two dots?

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Thursday, 29 Mar 2012, 16:17

ChrisDate: Sunday, 01 Apr 2012, 09:46 | Message # 13
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Here's the first trailer for TSCC pilot, showed during the FOX UpFronts 2007 (you can see the set of the show on the last images)

You'll notice Charley is not played by Dean Winters in the original pilot and the trailer also includes scenes of Cameron in the school that were deleted in the aired pilot.

Also big lol at the tag lines (see screencaps below); if the writers were clearly talking about Sarah Connor "HER" at the begining of TSCC, it may rather refer to Cameron or even to Catherine weaver at the end of season 2.

@ The1Russter What would you say this "HER" would refer to if this was a trailer for your REUNION" fancfiction btw? (if it's not too too spoilrerish of course).

I think the HER is Cameron all the way through aside from Sarah giving birth to him, Sarah doesn't keep him alive Cameron does from what I remember of the show Sarah does very little in regards to making John into anything its all Cameron aside from some flashbacks to when John was a child.

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 01 Apr 2012, 16:22 | Message # 14
Quote (Chris)
I think the HER is Cameron all the way through aside from Sarah giving birth to him, Sarah doesn't keep him alive Cameron does from what I remember of the show Sarah does very little in regards to making John into anything its all Cameron aside from some flashbacks to when John was a child.

I disagree!
James Middleton (executive producer) has always said that him and Josh Frieman noticed that T3 was criticized because there was no Sarah Connor in it and they wanted to start from her point of view; also remember that these teaser were made even before the serie aired and they had no way to know that Cameron (Summer Glau) would become the fan favorite.

But there was a shift during the run of TSCC that showed clearly Sarah was less and less in command and indeed Cameron's influence on him became more important; though TSCC's writing was intelligent to make it in a subtle manner. For example when Sarah or John asked Cameron "What would future John do now?", Cameron never gave a straight answer and preferred to leave young John decide by himself because she thrusted his judgement.
Also what she DID NOT was also important as what she DID :

Cameron not interfering directly : TSCC 2x05 Goodbye to all that

Cameron pushing things : TSCC 2X21 http://summer-glau.com/index/adam_raised_a_cain/0-163

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Sunday, 01 Apr 2012, 16:22

RNBMDate: Sunday, 01 Apr 2012, 18:55 | Message # 15
The way the show was written I believe the "Her" refers to Sarah, but as season 1 ended John's statement, I need her, She saves me, "Her" became Cameron. IMO.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » TSCC promotional campaign (Let's (re-)discover elements from the marketing campaign)
Search: