[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 9 of 31«1278910113031»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » Theories about TSCC and Cameron's unsolved plots
Theories about TSCC and Cameron's unsolved plots
ChrisDate: Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 04:47 | Message # 121
Group: Friends
Sarah still is getting a slap in the face but its not in a bad way she has been waiting for 18 years basically for the time to come when her son stops being the whiney child and the saviour that Kyle told her he was.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 11:26 | Message # 122
Group: Administrators
It's a shame TSCC has been cancelled at the very moment the dynamics has changed within the Connors Family. It has taken two seasons to see that change which is a slow pace if you ask me. Obviously too slow for broadcast network but best suited for cable network.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

ChrisDate: Saturday, 12 Nov 2011, 03:05 | Message # 123
yeah all we need is for the cable network to start producing the series again

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 01:56 | Message # 124
Just out of curiosity. Who was the most popular TSCC character back then when the show was running? I( as a Summer fan) would think Cameron was that but it may not be the case.

So who was it?

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 01:56

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 02:04 | Message # 125
Just out of curiosity. Who was the most popular TSCC character back then when the show was running? I( as a Summer fan) would think Cameron was that but it may not be the case.

So who was it?

The answer is written on the DVD covers. In fact if you want to know who the most popular characters of an ensemble cast are just compare the DVD covers from season to season.

Notice Season 1 only has Sarah and John on the cover. Season 2 has Cameron along with them, so I can confidently say that she is at the very least an ensemble dark horse.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 02:10

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 02:19 | Message # 126
Quote (FordStaff)
The answer is written on the DVD covers. In fact if you want to know who the most popular characters of an ensemble cast are just compare the DVD covers from season to season.

That's a good point! One could also say that Sarah's name was in the title and she was the narrator so she should be the main character but fact is that the writers added momentum to the two season finale by "killing" Cameron and not Sarah.

From a TSCC fan (not especially Cameron fan) point of view, there was more threads dedicated to Cameron and discussions about her mysteries in the TSCC boards. More, when there was polls posted online, that included both characters, Cameron got 90% of the votes each time.

Message edited by michelangelo - Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 02:20

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 02:29 | Message # 127
From a TSCC fan (not especially Cameron fan) point of view, there was more threads dedicated to Cameron and discussions about her mysteries in the TSCC boards. More, when there was polls posted online, that included both characters, Cameron got 90% of the votes each time.

Also, weren't the advertisements for the show generally focused on Cameron? To be fair this may have less to do with popularity and more to do with Summer being the best looking person on the show, plus robots are cool.

Anything having to do with advertising will squeeze out all the can from the more popular characters of a show, whether that was the intention of the writers or not.

As an example that I know is true, Community when starting out put the advertisement focus on its big names like Chevy Chase and Joe McHale. On the first season DVD box on the side has Chevy and Joe on the side with all the cast on the cover. For the second season Troy and Abed (Donny Glover and Danny Pudi) were featured on the side because of their rising popularity within the fans. This is regardless of the fact that Joe Mchale's character is the most important on the show. It would be like putting Inara and Book on the side of the Firefly DVD's .

In other wards popularity will swell the importance of a character's importance to the plot and also their prevalence, which leads me to believe with nothing but the DVD art that Cameron was fairly popular.

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 02:51 | Message # 128
Quote (michelangelo)

Hidden in my message I wanted some old input from the old TSCC boards opinion about Cameron so thanks!

Also I think you are all right, the advertisement was fairly geared towards Cam so that is a very good clue too. I say its Summers great achievement, toppling the title character entirely and becoming 1st most popular character of the show( and TBH Lena wasn't even bad as Sarah so it praises Summers abilities even further I think)

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 03:07 | Message # 129
More generally, the credits of a movie or a tv show reveal the weight of the charcaters on a show; as said FordStaff, the movie ot tv show posters says it all, as well as the size of the actor's name in a movie poster. Actors and their agents are extremely vigilant about that.

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 03:10 | Message # 130
. I say its Summers great achievement, toppling the title character entirely and becoming 1st most popular character of the show( and TBH Lena wasn't even bad as Sarah so it praises Summers abilities even further I think)

They made a mistake focusing the show on Sarah Connor's viewpoint. They should not have focused so much on a character that may not have appeal and as it turns out did not. Personally I found her the most boring and annoying ( yes even more annoying than John when he gets angsty) character of the show. In fact the Connors in general were the more annoying characters of the cast. Derek and Cameron were far more interesting. Perhaps that is why the show failed, the main character was over-soared by almost everyone else on the show. Had there been a third season I have no doubt that in the DVD box art Sarah would have been in the background facing away with Cameron and John the most prominent, maybe even with Derek getting an upgrade to actually being in it.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 03:14

ChrisDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 03:14 | Message # 131
Cameron was easily the most interesting character on the show even if she was not meant to be at the start it really looked like they wanted Sarah to be the focus but even before season 2 started the focus shifted to Cameron and John but primarily Cameron all the actors were good but they made the mistake of calling it The Sarah Connor Chronicles not The Connor Chronicles as realistically the show was never going to be about Sarah primarily there isnt enough you can do about Sarah to keep it interesting just look at the 3 dots fiasco that hurt the show badly when they focused on Sarah, return to Cameron and John being the focus brought the show back yet the damage was already done.

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 03:19 | Message # 132
Quote (FordStaff)
They made a mistake focusing the show on Sarah Connor's viewpoint. They should not have focused so much on a character that may not have appeal and as it turns out did not. Personally I found her the most boring and annoying ( yes even more annoying than John when he gets angsty) character of the show. In fact the Connors in general were the more annoying characters of the cast. Derek and Cameron were far more interesting. Perhaps that is why the show failed, the main character was over-soared by almost everyone else on the show.

Perhaps not the main reason of its fail but I agree. The Connors were boring. Especially compared to Derek and the super cyborg queen Cameron. It was a fail in some levels. If they bet their money on Sarah to make the show interesting with her as the title character + narrator + giving her the most screentime then they ought to make her the most interesting.

Cameron and Derek toppled them easily so they should have adapted by focusing more on them. I imagine some viewers didn't like it and left. This is also the reason why the Today is the Day Riley arch backfired in my opinion.

Quote (Chris)
just look at the 3 dots fiasco that hurt the show badly

That part was bad I agree, they shouldn't have done that obviously.

Message edited by Blazius - Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 03:21

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 03:36 | Message # 133
It was a fail in some levels. If they bet their money on Sarah to make the show interesting with her as the title character + narrator + giving her the most screentime then they ought to make her the most interesting.

The problems is that even if the writers had not failed so badly and Sarah had been worth watching, with the way the show developed it was clear Sarah could not be the preeminent character in terms of importance to the plot or anything for that matter. Anyone and everyone involved with the name of the series should be fired imeadietly for their utter stupidity.

They shot themselves in the foot with the name and focus of the show, because to make the show better they needed to switch the perspective, but not so fast they named the entire show after the worst character causing some of the problems to begin with angry .

Why would you limit a show's options so much with a name that could easily have been very similar yet broad? Stupid stupid stupid. I thought it was stupid before the show even started, the name the perspective and everything.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 03:47

termi-ninja-torDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 06:21 | Message # 134
Although I do not remember any popularity surveys, my perception was that people thought Cameron was the most interesting.

Part of it was Summer's good looks and good acting, and part of it was that the terminators are always the primary feature in the Terminator productions. Arnie made T1 fascinating. Uncle Bob and the T1000 were the centers of focus for T2. And the T850 and the T-X were the main players in T3. In T4, Marcus was the lead character, with John Connor a strong second after a Bale-instigated script rewrite. Naturally, in TSCC Cameron would be the most interesting.

Cameron's appeal is used in this commercial with Summer and Eliza Dushku of Dollhouse:

Summer and Eliza Dushku Do Commercials for Their Shows

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 07:48 | Message # 135
Although I do not remember any popularity surveys, my perception was that people thought Cameron was the most interesting.

The only surveys like that will be from the internet and as a result will have an inherent self-selection bias, and can really only be suggestive of what the more "active" fans feel. That is why I was relying on advertisements and DVD covers for my justification of the popularity of the Cameron character. The people in charge of such things probably have far more detailed information about the mainstream crowd than those on the outside.

It was interesting Cameron was not even on the cover of season 1, I would think they would have utilized the character right away for nothing other than the fact that it is played by Summer Glau. A mistake on their part perhaps, but clearly they realized this with the season 2 cover.

The advertisements are a bit more nuanced because they are designed to attract new comers to the show. I think they utilized Cameron for these things because 1 - Summer Glau enough said cool 2 - Cameron is a terminator and the art for advertisements I have seen often used this. None of the other protagonist could catch attention as quickly as a really good looking robot girl repairing her damaged flesh. For these reasons I am not so certain advertisements can be used as well as other things to gauge the popularity of the character, but at the same time being the flagship character for advertisement is not hurting that argument. I doubt a show would advertise a seemingly interesting character that is utter crap in the actual show.

If you really want to know how popular the character is wait till they make a new version of the DVD covers, whether its a box set or whatever, and then see which characters are displayed most prominently. On a website for Boxed sets of television shows, I was looking at the art for Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Both shows had Spike prominently displayed. On the Angel DVD's it had Spike as the only other guy except Angel, and he was even fucking closer to the audience than the MAIN CHARACTER. I have not seen either show, but having read plenty of fan wank about just everything on the internet I know that spike is immensely popular and it would have been obvious just from the covers and box art for the shows.

He would need to be very very popular for them to have the balls to put him closer on the cover than the main character even if he has immense importance to the plot (IDK whether he does or not) . Here is a picture if you do not believe me it is pretty insane, I certainly have never seen such a thing.

I just had to mention this because Spike must have 100% popularity rating. He is even covering part of the main characters face, and the attention is naturally drawn to Spike. Both of those things makes absolutely no sense, and is never done. This is what it should be like in a sane universe.

If we had more seasons of T:TSCC and Cameron might have eventually become like this not just in terms of covering up the main character in the box covers, but also in the show itself.

Also looking back at T:TSCC DVD covers it should be of note that Cameron makes a jump of importance from nothing to equal with gorram John Connor if we are taking distance from audience as a measure of importance (not always true, sometimes the distance can demonstrated a character trait, but not so in this case).

In the first season cover John is far away and facing away from the audience and his mother which is suppose to demonstrate not less importance, but some of his traits in the show. Also Sarah is looking at her gun demonstrating that survival is of most concern for her even over being there for John. Since this first cover is thematic in the presentation of the characters I do not think the distances demonstrate importance.

The second DVD cover is a different story. Since the characters are all in a bunch the distances this time are very indicative of their importance which makes it interesting to see Cameron equal with John. The second DVD cover still keeps some of the themes in the first cover. John still continues to have his back to the audience and his mother (at least he had the decency to look at our ugly mugs this time biggrin ).

Cameron's appeal is used in this commercial with Summer and Eliza Dushku of Dollhouse:

Summer and Eliza Dushku Do Commercials for Their Shows

Ironic since T:TSCC was sacrificed by FOX so that they could justify not cancelling Dollhouse (and then they did it anyways angry ). IF you actually have made it to this point sorry for the large amount of text, I just had a particularly large bulk to say.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 08:40

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » Theories about TSCC and Cameron's unsolved plots
Page 9 of 31«1278910113031»
Search: