menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » Theories about TSCC and Cameron's unsolved plots
Theories about TSCC and Cameron's unsolved plots
chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012, 19:05 | Message # 346
Group: Administrators
Sorry for the slightly off topic following content; here are two old interviews of Summer and Thomas that will show you the difference between a lame and a good interviewer :

Thomas Dekker & Summer Glau on FOX 13, 2-25-08

I'm speechless...
We are used to see lame interviewers but this one ...

Korbi gets the scoop on Season 2 of Sarah Connor Chronicles, beginning on September 8th!

See in this one how the interviewer is not asking Summer to mimick robot movements but instead ask her if Cameron is becoming more human.

Also i love when Thomas Dekker says : If i had a penny for every blog that i read that said : "If Cameron, i.e. Summer Glau, is not in this season i'm not watching it", i would be a millionaire.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012, 23:21

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 29 Mar 2012, 02:22 | Message # 347
Group: Friends
Quote (chrisdvanne)
If i had a penny for every blog that i read that said : "If Cameron, i.e. Summer Glau, is not in this season i'm not watching it", i would be a millionaire.

It sucks that Friedman didn't read the blogs though. Maybe the show would have been a bigger success if instead of a few fanservice episodes and pointless Sarah dream episodes, he focused more on Cam. He never realized that Summer was the sole reason many of us watched the show.

Serves him right for not listening to fan feedback( sadly we lost too with this)

Also another Dekker compliment. Its a bit telling IMO smile

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 29 Mar 2012, 09:36 | Message # 348
Quote (Blazius)
It sucks that Friedman didn't read the blogs though.

I heard in a podcast (or was it in the DVD's Extras) that he didn't read them intentionnaly and said to the writers and exec producers NOT to engage with fans when/if they do read the TSCC blogs.
I guess he didn't wan't the fans to interfere with the creative/writing process; he said that no matter what the writers would have said to the fans to justify their choices, you would always find unsatisfied fans. But he also answered specifically about Summer's screetime : he said he was very well aware that fans were asking to have more Cameron in every episode and his answer was : "i know that, i hired Summer Glau myself, i want her in that show for ten years".

This is an endless debate; everytime Summer Glau fans say that they wanted more Summer/Cameron on screen in season 2, they would answer that she had "Allison from Palmdale" and enough screentime.

The only thing i can say is that i was frustrated during most of the second season when i watched TSCC and i'm sure a lot of fans were like me.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 30 Mar 2012, 00:05

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 29 Mar 2012, 19:33 | Message # 349
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I heard in a podcast (or was it in the DVD's Extras) that he didn't read them intentionnaly and said to the writers and exec producers NOT to engage with fans when/if they do read the TSCC blogs.
I guess he didn't wan't the fans to interfere with the creative/writing process; he said that no matter what the writers would have said to the fans to justify their choices, you would always find unsatisfied fans. But he also answered specificallyabout Summer's screetime : he said he was very well aware that fans were asking to have more Cameron in every episode and his answer was : "i know that, i hired Summer Glau myself, i want her in that show for ten years".

It was an idiotic choice from him IMO. Not listening to the feedback of the audience is just foolish and never worked for anyone. How could he even come up with an idea like this? He seemed intelligent enough to make a brilliant show. What does he think test screenings are for?

I think aside from the numerous outside obstacles this was the biggest problem with the show( about the only he was responsible for) and it hit hard back in later second season which was simply abysmal compared to the rest of the series. Because he didn't let fans tell him thats abysmal he continued to ruin it further 'till he faced cancellation and finally gave in but it was too late for that.
A professional shouldn't do this ever IMO.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
The only thing i can say is that i was frustrated during most of the second season when i watched TSCC and i'm sure a lot of fans were like me.

This.

Imo its very clear that Summer didn't have nearly as much screentime as she should have despite what Friedman claims( more lack communication with the audience). Summer fans most likely made up a considerable portion of the audience+ we got those who only watched the show for Terminators and not much for whiny teenagers+ there were those who always watched it for the eyecandy( which was definitely Summer in TSCC) + there were the freshly converted( like us). He threw all these groups out of the window by not showing Summer for more than a few minutes per episode.

And there shouldn't have ever been "fanservice episodes" in a show which conceived the fan favorite character in the first place.

ChrisDate: Sunday, 01 Apr 2012, 01:50 | Message # 350
It started badly when they called it The Sarah Connor Chronicles instead of The Connor Chronicles, it should have been obvious from the movies that people wanted to see the Terminators and how John interacted with his protector if you take away anything to do with Sarah's mental breakdown in season 2 its actually watchable IMO.

IMO Sarah Connor was never the main character in any of the Terminator movies it was the Terminator and protector along with Sarah Connor as either the protected party or aiding the Protector but she wasn't the headline character and I think season 2 highlighted this point as you can only take MUST PROTECT JOHN only so far as a story or mission, Derek Reese was far more interesting again IMO but there was far more to him then just protecting John which he did do even with Jesse his aim was still protecting John as he believed Cameron was a big threat to him.

IMO if this show was to come back it would require the shift in character focus that BTR was eluding to where John is seperated from Sarah, gets to spend time with his Father and Uncle along with Allison Young plus 2 Terminators 1 of which could have been Cameron controlling the body of John Henry etc then come back and focus on what people wanted to see Cameron kicking ass and working with John with him finally admitting that he cares for Cameron whether its a sexual relationship or plutonic doesn't matter they care for each other and people want to see how they get along without the angst of 'she tried to kill me I wouldn't let them destroy her and she told me off for it!'

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 03 Apr 2012, 19:33 | Message # 351
I completely agree with this, Chris. Making Sarah the title character was definitely a mistake and it takes its toll on the show overall. And as you said Friedman did this mistake despite that he had an entire trilogy of movies which would have helped him gauge who will be a popular character, who is important, who is not etc. He just had to ask himself who is the iconic character and actor of the movies? Was it Sarah and Linda Hamilton? No. Was it an incarnation of John? No. Was it the Terminator character and Arnold? Yes!

Now if the Terminator character was the most popular who did he think would be the most popular if he additionally makes the character into a female eyecandy(+ the trivial things like Summer being the best actress we've ever seen, her perfectly written character etc.)?

Aside from that the story was always about John and protecting him. Sarah was only important because she was Johns mother and one of his protectors. That she isn't even in T3 is telling IMO. Even T3 knew Sarah isn't important.

So yeah the show should have focused primarily on Cam and John at the expense of everyone else IMO. Instead they got laughable screentime while the show focused primarily on Sarah, James Ellison and Catherine Weaver's monologues( she was essentially a screentime killer IMO).

It was also a huge mistake that Friedman kept introducing more and more new characters( who mostly turned out to be unpopular BTW) and then he focused on them too much while he neglected the more beloved core characters. IMO Riley, Jesse, Weaver, the Kaliba nightmare dude( Kaliba in itself) and their stories should have been entirely cut and replaced with something meaningful.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 17 Apr 2012, 19:42 | Message # 352
As i was uploading a video on Youtube, TSCC Director's Take : Cameron vs Vick, i noticed that Cameron had that strange look when she removed Vivk's chip (killed him), the same look she had when she killed Cromartie in the Church :

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 17 Apr 2012, 19:43

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012, 02:43 | Message # 353
Quote (chrisdvanne)
As i was uploading a video on Youtube, TSCC Director's Take : Cameron vs Vick, i noticed that Cameron had that strange look when she removed Vivk's chip (killed him), the same look she had when she killed Cromartie in the Church :

When she killed Vick and looked at the chip, I always got the impression that she suddenly realized that she killed one from her own species and that got her thinking. I always interpreted this as one of the first signs of her emerging sentience. Of course she doesn't act like if she felt guilt or mourned him, she even allowed John to hack the chip and she herself destroyed the body but that doesn't mean that she didn't think about it, its just that she isn't human and these things manifest in her in an entirely different, maybe far more subtle way. Its also doesn't stop her from doing her job.

BTW I always felt that Cameron is a kind of a patriot of her people. Especially after her dialogue with John in Complications.

Thats why always thought that the perfect ending for her would have been to help defeat Skynet, then lead her now free people into a new future maybe on a new planet or something.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012, 08:25 | Message # 354
That's one for Friedman's writing for putting those subtiles and consistent hints about Cameron becoming sentient throughout the show; i wonder if all the die-hard Terminator fans who left the show were aware of these elements.
And that's one for Summer Glau for playing these scenes so perfectly; of course a Terminator cannot break in tears and her thinking must be very subtile. Again, i wonder if all those who said Summer had a blank face in TSCC saw those hints, probably not. The tweeps helped me debunking one of those ignorants yesterday on Twitter btw; the best part is that he was not a simple troll but a filmmaker.

As a first step, Cameron may appear as a traitor to the T's for embrassing the adverse camp's side (the human side); the scenario you're describing would not have appeared before the latest seasons of the show imo.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012, 19:00

RNBMDate: Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012, 12:46 | Message # 355
I had a different take after rewatch the entire series. Cameron realized that she needed a chip to provide to John-Henry. By saving Vick's chip she was able to save herself, but she couldn't tell John or Sarah this as they would try and destroy John-Henry or not believe her. Then when she defeated the other girl terminator (the terminator that tired to kill Dr. Sherman), the chip was destroyed by the phospherous. When John tried to commit suicide, Cameron was very interested in the pamphlets at the end of the episode. I think she was contimplating her own life, having to sacrafice it by giving up her chip.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012, 13:18 | Message # 356
I don't follow your reasoning; by the time Cameron kept Vick's chip, there was no hint that it was to give it to John Henry (correct me if i'm wrong). The need to help JH to jump to the future came much later in the serie, when Catherine Weaver asked Cameron, through Ellison's mouth, "Will you join us?" in the motel room.

I have no idea as to why Cameron kept spare parts from the T's she defeated; was it to repair helself when needed, to train John in repairing/modifying T's , i don't know; but i doubt it was in order to help JH.

Also i wanted to highlight that T's have no problem with killing other T's when the mission requires it, when Cromartie killed Ellison's double for example. Interesting thing is that they show no sign of being disturbed as Cameron did, which makes Cameron's behaviours more interesting, and Summer Glau's acting great in the process.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012, 14:06

RNBMDate: Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012, 14:12 | Message # 357
I'm not saying I'm correct, but Cameron kept secrets about her mission. I believe she knew that an Alternate AI to defeat Skynet was being developed. (She did say, I know you to John-Henry. Like she knew Derek- in the future). I also assume Friedman would have had an end-game for TSCC, and he was foreshadowing the Born to Run episode. Why would she hide Vick's chip. Cameron could have stated right away that there was important information on the chip to hunt down Skynet. Sarah would have agreed to keep it for a little while (and then destroy it). The reaction of Cameron when she pulled Vick's chip, and when Derek found it, and her looking at the suicide pamphlets after the girl terminator's chip was destroyed an no other chips would be able to be salvage made me come to this conclusion. ..... But I could be reading too much into it. wacko

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012, 18:53 | Message # 358
Quote (chrisdvanne)
As a first step, Cameron may appear as a traitor to the T's for embrassing the adverse camp's side (the human side); the scenatio you're describing would not have appeared before the latest seasons of the show imo.

Of course, thats why I wrote that it should be in the ending. IMO the situation she is in is the classic story about the hero who tries to free her people from the evil tyrant by helping another opposing country to defeat the tyrant. The brainwashed citizens would first think about her as a traitor but then after many victories people would suddenly realize that she is right and together they'll overthrow the tyrant in the epic final battle. Then the former "traitor" would be made ruler who'd lead his/her people into a better future. Examples of this character type is Teal'c from Stargate for instance.

The twist here is that we are talking about a species of sentient robots as the oppressed with purely logic based mindset and somewhat alien behavior. This gives another layer to the already complicated situation and IMO that makes this storyline incredibly deep and satisfying. Of course without Summers talent to realize such a complex but subtle character it wouldn't have worked ever. It was a one time combination of writer and actor talent, and as such to my great sadness I doubt that this will ever be realized to its full potential now.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
Again, i wonder if all those who said Summer had a blank face in TSCC saw those hints, probably not. The tweeps helped me debunking one of those ignorants yesterday on Twitter btw; the best part is that he was not a simple troll but a filmmaker.

Anybody who believes in this blank face BS is either trolling without ever watching the show or has the attention span of a 3 years old or even less plus he/she has absolutely no idea what is a robot. I seriously consider the idea that the abysmal popularity level of sci-fi comes from the fact that moss people don't have the mental capability to understand what they are about. That he was a filmmaker makes things even worse and maybe it explains why most of the movies nowadays are garbage.

Quote (RNBM)
I had a different take after rewatch the entire series. Cameron realized that she needed a chip to provide to John-Henry. By saving Vick's chip she was able to save herself, but she couldn't tell John or Sarah this as they would try and destroy John-Henry or not believe her. Then when she defeated the other girl terminator (the terminator that tired to kill Dr. Sherman), the chip was destroyed by the phospherous. When John tried to commit suicide, Cameron was very interested in the pamphlets at the end of the episode. I think she was contimplating her own life, having to sacrafice it by giving up her chip.

Regarding the sacrifice part BTW I really don't like that Friedman brought the story in this direction. IMO he should have focused on the themes and storyline of Camerons sentience and desire to free her people than switching direction, conceiving the IMO utterly boring JH+Weaver plus suddenly leaving the still potentially interesting present setting for the future.
I feel that even Friedman didn't realize what they did with Cameron, and how much potential she had. Seriously, he wanted to scrap Cameron for JH and Alison. OK Summer would have managed to make Alison a super awesome character too, just like her other humans, but why do that when we have the innovative Cameron who can bring the show to entirely new and unexplored territories?

IMO the show gone out of hand entirely in the second season. No doubt the threat of cancellation is hugely responsible for that but still, I'm not happy with second half second season at all.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012, 21:31 | Message # 359
Quote (Blazius)
Anybody who believes in this blank face BS is either trolling without ever watching the show or has the attention span of a 3 years old or even less plus he/she has absolutely no idea what is a robot.

I guess you already heard this TSCC audio commentary, at to the begining of the video, Firedman talks about Summer's acting :

TSCC Adam Raised a Cain Audio Commentary Scene 5

RNBMDate: Saturday, 21 Apr 2012, 18:21 | Message # 360
I may have to question my theory that Cameron was trying to find a chip for John Henry that wasn't her own. In the episode "Self Made Man" Cameron cut his chip out after defeating him. The episode never showed what she did with body or the chip. Question is was Myron Stark a T-800 or T-888. Maybe a T-800 chip couldn't be used.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » Theories about TSCC and Cameron's unsolved plots
Search: