menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » Theories about TSCC and Cameron's unsolved plots
Theories about TSCC and Cameron's unsolved plots
chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 14:21 | Message # 136
Group: Administrators
Great post FordStaff, i appreciate (and agree with) that kind of reading the DVD covers.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 17:41 | Message # 137
Group: Friends
Great post FordStaff, i appreciate (and agree with) that kind of reading the DVD covers.

You can tell a whole lot of information about characters from DVD covers, particularly with an ensemble cast that needs to capitalize on multiple characters.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 21:01 | Message # 138
Although I still don't get if Cameron was so immensely popular and TBH the most brilliant and lovable and badass character in the show then why did they cut down her screentime.

After episode 11 she didn't do much and whole episodes went with her only standing around and following John while boring Sarah did a whole lot of boring things. It was that period when the abysmal episodes came like the Good Wound. Also they wanted to force Shirley Manson as a star on us for no apparent reason( she isn't that good, not horribly bad but not superb either, she is better at singing) and that annoyed me very much. I think they made more mistakes in that period( mostly middle and late 2nd season until the endgame episodes) that was unacceptable and that hurt the show immensely.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 21:16 | Message # 139
Quote (Blazius)
why did they cut down her screentime.

Still a mystery to me.
The writers said that Cameron had her share of screen time with Cameron-centric episodes like 'Allison from Palmdale' or 'Self Made Man' but it's not enough imo. They failed at convincing me and a lot of fans i guess.

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 22:26 | Message # 140
Although I still don't get if Cameron was so immensely popular and TBH the most brilliant and lovable and badass character in the show then why did they cut down her screentime.

One option is that somebody did not want that to happen, either because it did not fit the original version of the show, or other various things. It is entirely possible that Cameron would not have even got as many episodes centered around her as she did if it were not for her popularity. I have a feeling that the show writers and creators did not intent for Cameron to be so popular.

It would be a dangerous move to focus the show around Cameron, when the show is clearly called The Sarah Connor Chronicles. This name is a huge problem, because then any break out characters will easily foreshadow the namesake of the show, in large part because of the weakness of the Sarah character. Perhaps they were keeping Cameron within check by limiting the screen time, for damage control. Then they realized their failure, but it was much too late.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 22:27

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 22:42 | Message # 141
I have very interesting graphics showing Summer Glau and Lena Headey popularity measured by a specific index at IMDb. You can trace their popularity in correlation with TSCC episodes and the shows or movies they were in. It gives an unique and never been seen before insight on their career, from the start till today.

I'm sure it will fascinate you and can be discussed for days. I will make the post tomorrow.

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 01:41 | Message # 142
Quote (michelangelo)
The writers said that Cameron had her share of screen time with Cameron-centric episodes like 'Allison from Palmdale' or 'Self Made Man' but it's not enough imo. They failed at convincing me and a lot of fans i guess.

It was not enough obviously. They should have give her screentime in normal episodes just as they did in season 1 not making a few episodes as fanservice( why do they need to do fanservice episodes in the first place? Isn't the whole show supposed to be fanservice in its entirety?) . Its not only that Cameron would have more screentime that way but also by limiting her to self-contained episodes they removed her from the flow of the show.

Removing the audiences favorite character from the main flow of events? Thats a bit suicidal, isn't it? TSCC was brilliant but for that critical period it seemed as if Friedman gave the show temporally to Tom Wheeler.

Quote (FordStaff)
It would be a dangerous move to focus the show around Cameron, when the show is clearly called The Sarah Connor Chronicles. This name is a huge problem, because then any break out characters will easily foreshadow the namesake of the show, in large part because of the weakness of the Sarah character. Perhaps they were keeping Cameron within check by limiting the screen time, for damage control. Then they realized their failure, but it was much too late.

I felt too that it was somehow intentional in order to manipulate the audiences preferance( towards Sarah and Weaver)

But if the audience does not cooperate( why should they, Cameron was brilliant and they knew it) its suicidal to defy them, its pointless.

termi-ninja-torDate: Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 03:12 | Message # 143
As the show opened, I was impressed that they had gotten Lena Headey to play Sarah Connor. Lena had recently come off a broad success in the movie "The 300" and I expected her to be on a rising star track. I didn't think a TV show like TSCC with an ensemble cast could afford to pay Lena enough.

After the first couple of episodes, I developed the impression that they were able to get Lena despite a TV show salary budget because they must have promised her top billing and to write her as the central character, complete with monologs. TSCC was supposed to be "her" show.

But as Season 1 played out, Cameron became more popular than Sarah, and the showrunners responded to Lena's implicit disappointment by resisting popular pressure to feature Cameron even more prominently, like refusing to go further into Jameron, and ultimately to commit more episodes pretty much exclusively to Sarah in Season 2. Another aspect was to write fewer scenes where Cameron and Sarah were together, to prevent Cameron from outshining or upstaging Sarah. (I can attest that I was always paying more attention to Cameron than Sarah whenever they were together.)

Perhaps the DVD covers were another element in this line, although the Season 1 DVD set came out some time after the season was over, so they must have already known that Cameron was more popular.

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 03:24 | Message # 144
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
As the show opened, I was impressed that they had gotten Lena Headey to play Sarah Connor. Lena had recently come off a broad success in the movie "The 300" and I expected her to be on a rising star track. I didn't think a TV show like TSCC with an ensemble cast could afford to pay Lena enough.

After the first couple of episodes, I developed the impression that they were able to get Lena despite a TV show salary budget because they must have promised her top billing and to write her as the central character, complete with monologs. TSCC was supposed to be "her" show.

But as Season 1 played out, Cameron became more popular than Sarah, and the showrunners responded to Lena's implicit disappointment by resisting popular pressure to feature Cameron even more prominently, like refusing to go further into Jameron, and ultimately to commit more episodes pretty much exclusively to Sarah in Season 2. Another aspect was to write fewer scenes where Cameron and Sarah were together, to prevent Cameron from outshining or upstaging Sarah. (I can attest that I was always paying more attention to Cameron than Sarah whenever they were together.)

Perhaps the DVD covers were another element in this line, although the Season 1 DVD set came out some time after the season was over, so they must have already known that Cameron was more popular.

Ok, but it was clear that Lena with her super popularity is quite irrelevant to the audience while Summer captured everybody's attention. In this regard Summers opinion should be more relevant than Lenas. It wasn't Lena who decided if the show will run or be cancelled right? It was the audience because if they don't watch the show then "Hasta la vista, baby", the channel will cancel it and they won't care what "Queen" Lena wants. So what was the point?

BTW if they want to make Lena the big star of the show then next time try to avoid casting somebody who is that much hotter than her. We don't judge an actress by looks and Summer would beat her even if she were ugly, its needless to say obviously. But as I experienced other less sophisticated people are only concerned by the looks and they are the majority so its inevitable that they'll love Summer more too along with the more sophisticated fans who is judging by acting talent too.
So they even failed to acknowledge this simple and obvious factor while gauging the audience. Lena was simply outmatched in every possible way.

Message edited by Blazius - Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 04:07

termi-ninja-torDate: Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 04:40 | Message # 145
It is not my intention to start a Summer vs. Lena debate here. We had plenty of those back on the Red Wiki.

I think both actresses did well, especially considering the limitations of their material -- Summer was constrained from being emotively expressive because Cameron was a cyborg, while Lena's character was not inherently as interesting given the nature of the story. I thought they were both very attractive.

If I were to be critical of anyone, it would be the showrunners for not being more responsive to popular sentiment favoring Cameron. I think if they had only thrown in a touch more Jameron and a few more episodes about Cameron (maybe a little more about her backstory) the series might have enjoyed a somewhat larger viewership and thus survived into a third season. Ah but this is just speculation.

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 06:29 | Message # 146
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
think both actresses did well, especially considering the limitations of their material -- Summer was constrained from being emotively expressive because Cameron was a cyborg, while Lena's character was not inherently as interesting given the nature of the story. I thought they were both very attractive.

If I were to be critical of anyone, it would be the showrunners for not being more responsive to popular sentiment favoring Cameron. I think if they had only thrown in a touch more Jameron and a few more episodes about Cameron (maybe a little more about her backstory) the series might have enjoyed a somewhat larger viewership and thus survived into a third season. Ah but this is just speculation.

Yes, the showrunners are clearly to blame in either case. Even on the "Cameron got more attention because Summer magnets drooling fans too part" because they intentionally made Summer fill the eyecandy role too( strange it may sound for a Summer character, let alone Cameron). Just remember how much they exposed Summers body as much as they could.

This unresponsiveness is why I think too that they made a huge mistake.

Thats why I wrote that its foolish to defy the will of the audience even against the will of a leading actor because its ultimately the showrunners who will be shut up not the audience. And said actor can look for a new job then.

Maybe it wasn't this which made the show cancelled but it was a contributing factor I fear.

FordStaffDate: Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 06:39 | Message # 147
Yes, the showrunners are clearly to blame in either case. Even on the "Cameron got more attention because Summer magnets drooling fans too part" because they intentionally made Summer fill the eyecandy role too( strange it may sound for a Summer character, let alone Cameron). Just remember how much they exposed Summers body as much as they could.

Oh she definitely served the role of eye-candy in T:TSCC which is contrary to all the other roles I have seen for her (except for Greta on Chuck). Maybe they thought people would be satisfied if Cameron was merely standing around waiting to shoot the next set of fools in the face, but it was not so.

The show runners really did mishandle the show from the beginning starting with even just the name.

termi-ninja-torDate: Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 07:11 | Message # 148
Quote (FordStaff)
Oh she definitely served the role of eye-candy in T:TSCC which is contrary to all the other roles I have seen for her (except for Greta on Chuck).

I was amazed that they had her march around in bikini underwear twice (!) and also the outfit at the Broken Atom bar in Automatic for the People was pretty far out there, too (leopard print string tank top, denim micro skirt, fishnets, black knee boots). Scandalous! (Not that I'm complaining though. wink )

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 07:21

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 07:16 | Message # 149
Quote (FordStaff)
Oh she definitely served the role of eye-candy in T:TSCC which is contrary to all the other roles I have seen for her (except for Greta on Chuck). Maybe they thought people would be satisfied if Cameron was merely standing around waiting to shoot the next set of fools in the face, but it was not so.

The show runners really did mishandle the show from the beginning starting with even just the name.

Ok, I don't want to make the impression that it was a bad show or it sucked from the start, no way, it was fantastic overall. Also Cameron was an eyecandy, thats right but she was such an eyecandy who with Summers proficiency and with good writing behind her became the best character of the show and one of the most fantastic robots in sci-fi(especially in the female department). Otherwise I suspect the Wiki wouldn't even exist smile

But there were indeed huge mistakes made even at the earliest parts of development. These mistakes weren't apparent or at least not that much to be overly bothering until the middle second season when everything started to fall apart to little pieces and the mistakes revealed themselves with full force. Also the showrunners mishandled the chaos and failed to contain the damage. In the last 3 episodes they managed to get back to the right track but that was too late apparently.

BTW in that critical period she didn't even shoot anybody. She literally just stood there, doing nothing.

Althrough I agree that even before the chaos there were episodes when Summer didn't do much or only did a little shooting but she still appeared more and at least the fanservice episodes balanced that out. I still can't believe through that I have to write "fanservice episodes" for a character created in the very show the episodes are in angry

FordStaffDate: Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 07:29 | Message # 150
Ok, I don't want to make the impression that it was a bad show or it sucked from the start, no way, it was fantastic overall. Also Cameron was an eyecandy, thats right but she was such an eyecandy who with Summers proficiency and with good writing behind her became the best character of the show and one of the most fantastic robots in sci-fi(especially in the female department). Otherwise I suspect the Wiki wouldn't even exist

Even if we were to say the show was utter shit (not true), it would be undeniable that Summer gave a rendition of a humanoid robot that is as good as it gets. I literally can not imagine someone acting a robot part better. This is not to ignore the acting that was not robotic in nature, those parts were rendered just as well. I have no doubt the last thing to be remembered of this show will be Cameron and Summer's performance.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » Theories about TSCC and Cameron's unsolved plots
Search: