[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 1 of 212»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » Audio commentaries with Summer from TSCC DVDs
Audio commentaries with Summer from TSCC DVDs
BlaziusDate: Sunday, 09 Oct 2011, 03:26 | Message # 1
Group: Friends
Recently I'm watching audio commentaries from TSCC.

In this thread: http://summer-glau.com/forum/4-260-1
I asked where I could find the commentary for Alison from Palmdale since on my DVD it was unaccessible for some reason.

Termi-ninja-tor kindly helped me out and we even had a brief conversation about the commentary. We noticed that Summer is very passive considering it was her big episode and that maybe there was some kind of tension between her and Thomas Dekker( its nature was unclear to us so far ).

So instead of going off topic on that thread I thought maybe I will create a thread where we could discuss it a bit further and most importantly hear the opinions of the others about the commentary. Feel free to comment about anything you noticed in the commentary or just your opinions about it.

Link to the commentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzAzxqHiFdg

(Maybe it'd be the best to move the off-topic talk from the "Comment that picture" thread here for the continuity)

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Sunday, 09 Oct 2011, 03:39

termi-ninja-torDate: Sunday, 09 Oct 2011, 03:26 | Message # 2
Quote (Blazius)
I noticed that the footage is from the season 2 DVD features. In my own DVD there should be an option to hear audio commentaries with Summer during Alison from Palmdale but it doesn't work for me for some reason. So anybody knows how I could hear or read them without the DVD? Or anybody knows if she says something new or interesting which wasn't covered in interviews?

Are you able to see videos on YouTube? The Allison from Palmdale commentary is posted there in 12 sequential clips. Here is the link to the first one: (At the end of the clip, just click on the link to the next one to keep going.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzAzxqHiFdg

BlaziusDate: Sunday, 09 Oct 2011, 03:26 | Message # 3
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
Are you able to see videos on YouTube? The Allison from Palmdale commentary is posted there in 12 sequential clips. Here is the link to the first one: (At the end of the clip, just click on the link to the next one to keep going.)

I have no idea why I assumed its not on Youtube. Thanks for enlightening me!

Interesting commentary although I was a bit disappointed that Thomas Dekker outtalks everybody else and Summer spoke so little despite it was her big episode.

termi-ninja-torDate: Sunday, 09 Oct 2011, 03:26 | Message # 4
Quote (Blazius)
I was a bit disappointed that Thomas Dekker outtalks everybody else and Summer spoke so little despite it was her big episode.

Yes, I felt the same way. Listening to it, I almost got the impression that there might have been some kind of a personality issue between the two of them. I guess we'll never know.

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Saturday, 08 Oct 2011, 00:13

BlaziusDate: Sunday, 09 Oct 2011, 03:26 | Message # 5
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
Yes, I felt the same way. Listening to it, I almost got the impression that there might have been some kind of a personality issue between the two of them. I guess we'll never know.

I had the strange feeling that maybe Thomas attracted to Summer to some level( I think he made many compliments to her, but without subtitle I can't understand it 100% so I might be wrong). I don't know if there are clues that he had a crush on her and she rejected him and that caused some problem.

termi-ninja-torDate: Sunday, 09 Oct 2011, 03:27 | Message # 6
Quote (Blazius)
I don't know if there are clues that he had a crush on her and she rejected him and that caused some problem.

Hmm. Plausible, but not much evidence. Of course, she is quite a bit older than him. Also, there was some talk that at one point Tom had some feelings for Lena (who is even older!). To me, he had the best job in the world, working with the two of them. lol

BlaziusDate: Sunday, 09 Oct 2011, 04:18 | Message # 7
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
Hmm. Plausible, but not much evidence. Of course, she is quite a bit older than him. Also, there was some talk that at one point Tom had some feelings for Lena (who is even older!). To me, he had the best job in the world, working with the two of them. lol

I'd be in his place too! But I don't think either woman would return his feelings mostly due to the age gap between them you mentioned.

I don't know about Lena but he definitely sounded a bit nervous when addressing Summer and it felt as if he chose his words more carefully when speaking to her. Of course he would possibly do the same either in the case of a crush or in the case of a dispute so I don't know. Opinions everybody?

Joe73Date: Sunday, 09 Oct 2011, 08:35 | Message # 8
Well my perception after hering all the commentaries from TSCC is that, Summer is just her usual shy, and Thomas just likes to talk alot.
Summer sometimes have to search for the right words, which probably makes her a bit nervous, when put on the spot.
Thomas is just a motor mouth, who likes to comment on every thing. He proberly gets nervers if he is not talking.

Well that is just my perception.

Thats a window bird.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 10 Oct 2011, 05:53 | Message # 9
Maybe you are right.

I'm just interested in this whole matter because I really hoped that Summer will talk about how could she pull off such a brilliant thing she did in that episode and what happened in her head during that. Through the others asked her about this even then she gave a very vague, possibly evasive answer.

Maybe she didn't say more because she felt there isn't any more to say and we are imagining too much into it?

termi-ninja-torDate: Monday, 10 Oct 2011, 06:13 | Message # 10
Quote (Joe73)
Well my perception after hering all the commentaries from TSCC is that, Summer is just her usual shy, and Thomas just likes to talk alot.
Summer sometimes have to search for the right words, which probably makes her a bit nervous, when put on the spot.
Thomas is just a motor mouth, who likes to comment on every thing. He proberly gets nervers if he is not talking.

Well that is just my perception.

My perception, too. Makes me wonder sometimes how these two had gotten along on the set, especially since they seemed to be so much the opposite of each other.

Every time I think of it, I am reminded of this pic:

It seems that Tom has grabbed Summer and is saying something to her. She seems to be holding on to him perhaps defensively. Her smile could be a sign of genuine mirth or enjoyment or it could reflect her discomfort at the awkwardness of the situation. I sometimes wonder what happened next -- did he finish speaking and let her go? Did she push him away? Did a third party intervene and cause them to separate? Or did they embrace? I don't know.

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Monday, 10 Oct 2011, 06:49

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 10 Oct 2011, 11:19 | Message # 11
Group: Administrators
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
It seems that Tom has grabbed Summer and is saying something to her. She seems to be holding on to him perhaps defensively. Her smile could be a sign of genuine mirth or enjoyment or it could reflect her discomfort at the awkwardness of the situation. I sometimes wonder what happened next -- did he finish speaking and let her go? Did she push him away? Did a third party intervene and cause them to separate? Or did they embrace? I don't know.

I share the same mixed feeling about that picture.
Though if Summer and Thomas have opposite personalities, i think you can't dislike any of them.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 10 Oct 2011, 11:32 | Message # 12
Group: Administrators
In video #2 : Josh Friedman said he wanted to show a version of what Sarah's life could have been if not for Skynet, hence the introducing of another single mother.
I think this was a mistake, i was bored during the whole hospital scene. More generally speaking, i think the premise and the title of the show were mistakes, Friedman's mistakes; given that Terminator fans criticized the fact there was no Sarah connor in T3, Friedman thought it was a good idea to center the show on her ( i guess this is how he sold TSCC to the producers and to the network).
If the confrontation of an unaware -to-Skynet'-universe Sarah was fundamental in T1, it was not in T2; the focus of the movie shifted to John and to the T-800. I think Friedman missed that partially. If the hard-core Terminator fans were pleased to have Sarah's narratives comments at the begining of the episode, i think it was detrimental to the show on a broadcast network.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 11 Oct 2011, 02:01 | Message # 13
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)

Very strange situation indeed. I don't want to be harsh but I believe whatever was the justification for this his real reason was that he really wanted to touch her. As Cameron would say: "It happens" when he has a crush on her.

Quote (michelangelo)
In video #2 : Josh Friedman said he wanted to show a version of what Sarah's life could have been if not for Skynet, hence the introducing of another single mother.
I think this was a mistake, i was bored during the whole hospital scene.

A huge mistake to say at least. Those scenes were a black stain on an otherwise perfect episode. I used to jump those scenes over and without them the episode is brilliant. I'm planning to use a video editor to cut those scenes from the episode( a bit more tricky with a DVD episode but I will do it if I have the time).

Quote (michelangelo)
More generally speaking, i think the premise and the title of the show were mistakes, Friedman's mistakes; given that Terminator fans criticized the fact there was no Sarah connor in T3, Friedman thought it was a good idea to center the show on her ( i guess this is how he sold TSCC to the producers and to the network).
If the confrontation of an unaware -to-Skynet'-universe Sarah was fundamental in T1, it was not in T2; the focus of the movie shifted to John and to the T-800. I think Friedman missed that partially. If the hard-core Terminator fans were pleased to have Sarah's narratives comments at the begining of the episode, i think it was detrimental to the show on a broadcast network.

I don't really understand why would it help the show on a broadcast network if it were centered on John. I'd think only the fans would really care and they wanted Sarah. I'm not saying I disagree, I'm just missing your point. Or are you thinking those who saw only T3 and expected John to be a main hero in the series as well?

I agree however that the show did a poor job at portraying Johns evolution into savior of mankind. One reason is the Today is the Day arch I mentioned in the Sarah/Cameron thread. The other is that Sarah and the other characters seriously overpowered him.

He was only a supportive role to Sarah( the main hero) as you said but he wasn't as interesting as the others like Cameron or Derek being a pretty predictable conventional emo kid most of the time(while he'd have to be a charismatic super-hero with a fanbase bigger than Camerons) .

I'm not blaming this on Dekker however but on the writers. Sadly T2 John was the last John who was on the right track in my opinion. T3 and T4 Johns are so underwhelming that Dekkers is still the best non-child presentation in my opinion.

KrelleKDate: Saturday, 12 Nov 2011, 00:15 | Message # 14
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
My perception, too. Makes me wonder sometimes how these two had gotten along on the set, especially since they seemed to be so much the opposite of each other.

Every time I think of it, I am reminded of this pic:

I think Thomas is just being his silly self, i mean was there not show a clip where he spins summer in a the dark dress(the one where they talk with the japanesse guy and son)around him.

Quote (Blazius)
Recently I'm watching audio commentaries from TSCC.

In this thread: http://summer-glau.com/forum/4-260-1
I asked where I could find the commentary for Alison from Palmdale since on my DVD it was unaccessible for some reason.

Termi-ninja-tor kindly helped me out and we even had a brief conversation about the commentary. We noticed that Summer is very passive considering it was her big episode and that maybe there was some kind of tension between her and Thomas Dekker( its nature was unclear to us so far ).

So instead of going off topic on that thread I thought maybe I will create a thread where we could discuss it a bit further and most importantly hear the opinions of the others about the commentary. Feel free to comment about anything you noticed in the commentary or just your opinions about it.

Link to the commentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzAzxqHiFdg

(Maybe it'd be the best to move the off-topic talk from the "Comment that picture" thread here for the continuity)

and is was Thomas not with another young woman(i am not sure if was her that was along to the starfury cons(the two I have been to) i am atleast quite sure it was the same person

but most of all I think it is just her incredible shyness holding her from speaking, I mean it seemed to me that Thomas was trying to make her talk more by complimenting her and such

ChrisDate: Saturday, 12 Nov 2011, 03:18 | Message # 15
I think Thomas and Summer got along very well, when Thomas' father passed away he mentioned that Summer and his father got along very well together its hard to read much into that picture as there is no context to it but neither of them look unhappy to be touching each other it looks a little bit like seriously they want us to do what together on set

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » Audio commentaries with Summer from TSCC DVDs
Page 1 of 212»
Search: