MCM Ireland Comic Con
July 1-2, 2017

Summer Glau at Planet Comicon Kansas City 2017
By chrisdvanne

Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits
By chrisdvanne

The official funny thread
By chrisdvanne

The OFFICIAL Summer Glau Appreciation Page!
By Admirator

Submit a News or Article
By chrisdvanne

The Happy Birthday thread
By KevinInEngland

Summer Glau at Comic Con Honolulu 2016 (Hoku Kon)
By chrisdvanne

Summer Glau at MCM London Comic Con 2017
By Gareth89

Cameron Phillips in TSCC - Action Figures
By chrisdvanne

Interesting about the franchise and other TSCC things
By KevinInEngland

New comments

chrisdvanne on: First images of Summer from Planet Comicon

Ronin on: Short interview with MYM BUZZ

chrisdvanne on: Short interview with MYM BUZZ

chrisdvanne on: New fanmail address

sschil2101 on: New fanmail address

Kevin on: New fanmail address

chrisdvanne on: Have a question for Summer? Here's your chance to ask it!

chrisdvanne on: Jeff 1000 set photos by Meredith Carlson

New videos

00:47:41

00:05:50

00:05:42

New Forum Posts Members Forum Rules Search

Page 1 of 11
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » The Secret History of The Beast Wizard in TSCC via io9
The Secret History of The Beast Wizard in TSCC via io9
Date: Friday, 2011 Aug 19, 17:19 GMT | Message # 1

Site Admin

Io9 columnist Charlie Jane Anders, number one fan of Summer Glau among bloggers, has released a funny article about The Beast Wizard, famous fantasy role played by Georges Lazlo, himself played by Garret Dillahunt in TSCC.
Charlie Jane Anders talks with Zack Stentz, Ashley Edward Miller, writers and executive producers on TSCC and the Beast Wizard himself, Garret dillahunt.

The Secret History of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles‘ Amazing Barbarian, Beastwizard!

Garret Dillahunt as The Beast Wizard in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Garret Dillahunt as The Beast Wizard in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Find here the best parts of the article.

Where did Beastwizard come from?

Zack Stentz: The prehistory of Beastwizard came from a thought experiment the T:SCC writing staff did. Unlike the Terminator movies, on our show our characters actually had to live with the consequences of Terminator mayhem. Which got us thinking: what would happen in the real world if a struggling actor in L.A. suddenly went berserk and killed a dozen elite FBI agents before being taken out himself (the cover story for the Terminator Cromartie's swimming pool rampage in the season one finale "What He Beheld.")? We realized that not only it would be a huge story in the media, but there would probably be ghoulish interest by many in the late George Laszlo's (our hapless actor who was killed and replaced by Cromartie in an earlier episode) work. It sounds silly, but it's part and parcel of the way the show's creator Josh Friedman was committed to fleshing out the implications and emotional reality of our strange little universe.

So when John Wirth sat down to write the season two episode "The Mousetrap," he and Josh thought that a good way to keep Cromartie and his backstory front and center would be to reference the strange posthumous notoriety of George Lazlo. And luckily, that meant seeing some snippets from Beastwizard VII itself. Wirth knew of my unhealthy love of low-budget retro fantasy, so asked me to knock out a couple of scenes for him. The first was a riff on a dimly remembered scene of Marc Singer using his panther friend (actually a tiger painted black, but with the stripes still visible underneath!) to help him mack on Tanya Roberts, and the second was a basic confrontation between the Beastwizard and his evil nemesis, Seth. The line of dialogue about how the hero and villain are actually brothers was an homage to the shocking third act reveals that are a staple of the genre.

Filming the Beastwizard scenes

Stentz: Filming the two scenes was about half a day's work on a tiny section of the Warner Bros. lot in Burbank called the Warner lagoon (we actually called out "Warner Brothers jungle" as the location in the script.) The entire space is about a fifth the size of a football field, but through the magic of Hollywood has been everything from the jungles of Nicaragua in another T:SCC episode to the exterior of Sookie Stackhouse's restaurant in True Blood.

The Secret History of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles' Amazing Barbarian, Beastwizard! A big concern prior to filming was frankly what Garret Dillahunt would look like in a loincloth. He's obviously a big guy, but we'd only seen him in the suits he wore as his character impersonated an FBI agent. So everyone was pleasantly surprised (some more so than others) when he walked on set to reveal an impressively ripped physique. The makeup ladies for months afterward would recall "body painting Garret" as one of their favorite days at work.

Garret Dillahunt: The Beastwizard experience did mark my first foray into spray tanning. Can't say I loved it. I think my favorite part is the bright red fingernail polish and huge hair on my jungle girlfriend. Marc Singer, by the by, is a fellow UW alum. Something in the Pacific Northwest that grows good Beasty-Barbarians.

Source : The Secret History of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles‘ Amazing Barbarian, Beastwizard! at io9.com

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Date: Thursday, 2015 Jan 15, 13:59 GMT | Message # 2

Site Admin

The Beast Wizard 7 stuff in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles 2.03 'The Mousetrap' was gold! Garret Dillahunt had to go into the woods - well, a section of the Warner Bros lot in Burbank called the Warner lagoon - wearing a loincloth and a blond wig just to shoot a fake movie scene for TSCC.
Check out these HQ episode stills featuring Garret Dillahunt playing actor George Laszlo and the beautiful Jen Halperin as Princess Aqualina in the direct-to-DVD movie Beast Wizard 7.

Garret Dillahunt in Beast Wizard 7 in TSCCGarret Dillahunt in Beast Wizard 7 in TSCCGarret Dillahunt in Beast Wizard 7 in TSCCGarret Dillahunt in Beast Wizard 7 in TSCC
Garret Dillahunt in Beast Wizard 7 in TSCCGarret Dillahunt in Beast Wizard 7 in TSCCGarret Dillahunt in Beast Wizard 7 in TSCCGarret Dillahunt in Beast Wizard 7 in TSCC
Garret Dillahunt in Beast Wizard 7 in TSCCGarret Dillahunt in Beast Wizard 7 in TSCCGarret Dillahunt in Beast Wizard 7 in TSCC

The Beast Wizard's arch enemy - and brother - was played by 16th century weapons expert Jason Heck.

They should have included the footage shot for Beast Wizard in it's original form as an extra on the DVD's, not just contained within the episodes.

Date: Tuesday, 2015 Nov 24, 14:55 GMT | Message # 3

Site Admin

Happy Birthday Garret Dillahunt, born on November 24, 1964 in Castro Valley, California.

RAISING HOPE, Garret Dillahunt, 'The Chance Who Stole Christmas'

RAISING HOPE: The overwhelming responsibilities of being mayor turns Burt (Garret Dillahunt) into a grinch in the first part of the one-hour "The Chance Who Stole Christmas/Bee Story" episode of RAISING HOPE airing Friday, Dec. 13 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. Cr: Jordin Althaus/FOX

RAISING HOPE, Garret Dillahunt, 'The Chance Who Stole Christmas'<br />RAISING HOPE, Garret Dillahunt, 'The Chance Who Stole Christmas'<br />

Date: Monday, 2017 Jan 30, 18:17 GMT | Message # 4

Friends

Oh.   I missed this thread when you made it.  Either that or my memory is bad.  I see you've got lots of pictures and plenty of interesting snippets from the locations.
Anyway, you can now know that R. Bruce Steinheimer - special effects played a role in the original Terminator film and The Beastmaster (see this message for our viewers).  Perhaps Zack Stentz or somebody knows him?

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » The Secret History of The Beast Wizard in TSCC via io9
Page 1 of 11
Search: